Erkki

Other podcasts

Tack alltihopa! Jag har bara en fråga, hur gör man svenska?

Translation for the curious... and maybe for the Swedish people if I just babbled incoherently there.

Thanks everybody! I have just one question, how does one Swedish?

I... I still don't understand.

2nd order question about podcasts: on some podcast (probably either Idle thumbs or VG HD), somebody mentioned a podcast (GDC postmortem?) that drilled down into the making of FF7 and how the technical limitations and engine design affected the game design.

Does that sound familiar to anybody?

I've been recording a video games podcast with my two friends Simon and Lucas. We gave it the worst name we could think of, Pixel Pals. The three of us all work in the games industry, and we all live in Toronto, and we're hoping that those two facts will give us a unique voice. We're three episodes deep. Episodes 1 & 2 are pretty terrible, but we are content with how Episode 3 turned out. If anyone has valuable feedback, I'd be happy to hear it.

You can check us out on iTunes, subscribe to our RSS, follow us on Tumblr, or listen to the most recent episodes on Soundcloud. If you do any of those, please make Episode 3 the first you listen to.  :)

I haven't listened yet, but on your Tumblr the description for each episode is the same, all of them referring to themselves as the "premiere episode." Might want to change that.

Thanks for pointing that out. :( I was doing a lot of copy-pasting text to get everything set up.

I haven't listened yet, but on your Tumblr the description for each episode is the same, all of them referring to themselves as the "premiere episode." Might want to change that.

Thanks for pointing that out. :( I was doing a lot of copy-pasting text to get everything set up.

I love the idea of a podcast doing a "this is our first episode" bit, maybe not for the entire run of the podcast, but at least for several episodes in a row, just a little.

Carlo Ritchie is a Sydney, Australia based stand-up/improv comic, he's also one of the hosts of a live weekly gaming radio show/podcast called Big Head Mode. I don't know anything about their podcast and haven't listened to any episodes, but I'm a fan of Carlo's comedy work. They are organising a "live video game talk show" for March 25th called Bonus Stage. I've never been to any gaming-themed events and am planning to attend this one. One of the guests is Rae Johnston, her presence and Carlo's are helping reduce the automatic (and probably unfair) pessimism I feel about popular gaming events. 

So if you're in Sydney, or your name is Merus, or both, check out this Bonus Stage event and Big Head Mode.

So I went to this and didn't meet up with Bolegium because I remembered that I grew up in the country and haven't ever managed to conduct myself with dignity around strangers who play video games. I thought it was important to make a good first impression if the day where I'm not thinking 'oh my god I'm talking to a stranger who plays video games' ever comes. I can't be a regular at a video game store because I freak out that we have video games in common. It is 2015. It is becoming an increasingly large handicap.

The show itself got better as it went on, by which I mean it started off kind of dire with an extremely long riff on Pokemon, then graduating to recorded sketches with webcomic-level jokes, then an actually half-decent jazzy rendition of Song of Storms (which then had Golden Brown sung over the top of it, which genuinely worked). They brought on a tech journalist who said at the top that she can't talk about any EA games because she's married to Australia's EA marketing director so conflict of interest, and so naturally they inserted a bunch of EA news into the teleprompter, then had the morose forgotten Mario brother, Horatio, read ridiculous haikus as if he was a beat poet, which was inspired.

I strongly suspect half the room knew who each other was. I spotted one of the Chasers and that was about it.

Screw dignity, meeting a stranger who games videos AND who listens to Idle Thumbs would bring me to negative dignity levels as I attempt to refrain from emitting fart noises and making the most obvious and cringe-worthy belated references to horse bag baboo wizards.

There was a small part of me that was tempted to call out 'who here likes horse bags?!' but a much larger part of me thought that was a bad idea

Especially if they knew Idle Thumbs but not the forums

What did you think of the show? Apparently there were board games afterwards; I had to jet, but if I go next time I'm bringing Hanabi or something.

Just a heads up Thumbs, Danielle (and Patricia Hernandez!) are going to be next week's Justice Points. Listen to it on Tuesday when it comes out.

Just a heads up Thumbs, Danielle (and Patricia Hernandez!) are going to be next week's Justice Points. Listen to it on Tuesday when it comes out.

Nice! I just started listening to your cast, and it's super great. I really dig when a video game podcast comes from an angle that differs from "white dudes who are into games".

Justice Points has a lot of nice gets, it's kind of impressive.

What did you think of the show? Apparently there were board games afterwards; I had to jet, but if I go next time I'm bringing Hanabi or something.

Pretty much the same as you. I will say that generally speaking, I find video game-related jokes more enjoyable in the context of (for e.g. Carlo Ritchie's) regular comedy shows, where they feel like an in-joke that me and a small percentage of the audience will understand, whereas in a video game-themed show I'm probably part of the minority who won't get most of the jokes because I don't have any experience with Pokemon, or Zelda, or Street Fighter etc. All that means is that jokes can be a lot more hit or miss given how diverse people's video game experiences are, which is probably definitely more of a positive thing than a negative.

And like, Idle Thumbs is the best, how can any show about video games compete with the Thumbs around?

Having said that, Justice Points sounds like it's rad and also the best, I will start listening!

Aww, thanks guys! I'll post a link once its up on Tuesday. The support you guys have given to the show as of late has really helped us out - my podcasting partner doesn't post here but I relay to her all the nice things that people say. It helps when we both feel kinda beat up about stuff. We try our level best to really do a lot of good content, but present it in a professional way, and have fun. Podcasting has been a huge learning experience but we feel very strongly about it as a medium for marginalized voices and gaming analysis. 

(Also fangirl!squee excited to talk to Danielle and Patricia, I've been fans of theirs for years. ._. Danielle is the reason I finally started listening to Idle Thumbs in the first place, hence why I started posting on the forums.)

I'm really happy that Tom Chick has been back in action this week popping up on both QT3 podcasts & 3MA I've really missed his voice.

Also I've listened to a couple of episodes of a cast called The Heroines Journey (which is about exactly what it says it is, female protagonists and their stories) and so far it seems promising, (my entry point was their most recent episode about the alien franchise).

I'm really happy that Tom Chick has been back in action this week popping up on both QT3 podcasts & 3MA I've really missed his voice.

Also I've listened to a couple of episodes of a cast called The Heroines Journey (which is about exactly what it says it is, female protagonists and their stories) and so far it seems promising, (my entry point was their most recent episode about the alien franchise).

Absolutely, he was taking too long returning and I was getting worried. Very glad he's back, love his podcasts.

Episode with Danielle and Patricia is up: http://justicepoints.com/

I am linking our main site because for some reason our streaming bars have disappeared from single episode pages and we're looking into getting that fixed.

This was really good! I'd never listened this before (I think? sorry), but I think I'll add it to my rotation now.