Erkki

Other podcasts

Hah cool, Rollins fans!

I didn't like Rollins for years, mostly because I knew some super fried stoners in high school who fucking idolized him, and any conversation about music with them would immediately be turned to Rollins, "Did you know, that like, Rollins, is like, single handedly responsible for like every good thing in music since like the early 80s."  :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart:

Rollins is weird, he's kind of gone through phases. In the 80s he was the tortured young boy, then forming Rollins band he got all arrogant and beefy throughout the 90s (Heidi met him late 90s, she comments on the podcast he looked like a bloated tick when she first started working for him), and then later Rollins to now kind of quit doing music as the last incarnation of Rollins Band was terrible and he focused solely on writing and spoken word. I think the last is my favorite because he's much more funny and insightful than he ever was before even though the music was way better in the 80s and 90s. Dude has also way chilled out then.

It's weird, in high school everyone I knew familiar with the music seemed to hate Rollins. All this nonsense about how Black Flag was so much better pre Rollins. I think I'm younger than you so general opinions may have changed. I usually have a conversation with a Henry Rollins hater that he's a dumb guy who thinks he's smart, but to me that's not the appeal, he's definitely not the most brilliant, but he thinks a lot and is also kind of strange and lonely (but embraces it).

Also their vimeo is pretty hilarious as well:

Watch this punk rock veteran take out the trash.

Rollins is weird, he's kind of gone through phases. In the 80s he was the tortured young boy, then forming Rollins band he got all arrogant and beefy throughout the 90s (Heidi met him late 90s, she comments on the podcast he looked like a bloated tick when she first started working for him), and then later Rollins to now kind of quit doing music as the last incarnation of Rollins Band was terrible and he focused solely on writing and spoken word. I think the last is my favorite because he's much more funny and insightful than he ever was before even though the music was way better in the 80s and 90s. Dude has also way chilled out then.

It's weird, in high school everyone I knew familiar with the music seemed to hate Rollins. All this nonsense about how Black Flag was so much better pre Rollins. I think I'm younger than you so general opinions may have changed. I usually have a conversation with a Henry Rollins hater that he's a dumb guy who thinks he's smart, but to me that's not the appeal, he's definitely not the most brilliant, but he thinks a lot and is also kind of strange and lonely (but embraces it).

I'm not much for Black Flag or anything, but I've gotten to know Rollins through his latter-day acting career. The man is never uninteresting in a role. He was really intense as a white supremacist for a season in Sons of Anarchy, and then when I looked him up online, he'd written something really thoughtful about the need to let a fictional character present the beliefs that they hold as sincere, even if those beliefs hateful, because it's not really hate without the sincerity behind it. And then, on a much less serious note, he was Zaheer for a season of The Legend of Korra and sold being an anarchist just about as well as it's going to be sold to me.

Long story short, I subscribed to the podcast, because the dude's interesting as fuck. Thanks, Syn!

Has anyone listened to Bit Socket? It's a podcast about gaming from two Scottish guys. I find it really, really funny and I love the Scottish accent. I mainly listen to it for the hosts themselves. They've got really good chemistry and it's just silly humour. They have loads of different features and sections on the podcast and they seem to put them in/take them out of the show depending on fan reaction. 

On the Media just released the first episode of their new show, an episode by episode podcast focusing on House of Cards, featuring Brook Gladstone and a rotating cast of journalists and politicians.  I'm super excited about this, OTM is one of my favorite shows. 

PSA - the new version of Pocket Casts for Android (not sure about other platforms as I only have Android devices) has the same silence-eliminating "Smart Speed" feature that Overcast on iOS does. Very handy for those of us with voracious podcast consumption habits.

I've started going back listening to the episodes upon episodes of post-Kickstarter Retronauts that I never got around to listening to. They're pretty good!

Odd long shot request here, but by any chance listen to any Swedish language podcast they might recommend? I'm in the process of learning it and since I listen to podcasts way too much it might be a nice way to get more real practice.

Odd long shot request here, but by any chance listen to any Swedish language podcast they might recommend? I'm in the process of learning it and since I listen to podcasts way too much it might be a nice way to get more real practice.

You could try out Svampriket. They're kind of a Giant Bomb type gaming site in that they're personality driven and focus on video, podcasts, etc.

If you're learning Swedish, Klartext is also great. The Swedish equivalent of BBC radio does a newscast in simple, slow-spoken Swedish, aimed at people learning the language.

Has anyone listened to Bit Socket? It's a podcast about gaming from two Scottish guys. I find it really, really funny and I love the Scottish accent. I mainly listen to it for the hosts themselves. They've got really good chemistry and it's just silly humour. They have loads of different features and sections on the podcast and they seem to put them in/take them out of the show depending on fan reaction. 

I started listening to Bit Socket too! I heard about them from Regular Features. The 'is it cannon' section is hilarious.

Carlo Ritchie is a Sydney, Australia based stand-up/improv comic, he's also one of the hosts of a live weekly gaming radio show/podcast called Big Head Mode. I don't know anything about their podcast and haven't listened to any episodes, but I'm a fan of Carlo's comedy work. They are organising a "live video game talk show" for March 25th called Bonus Stage. I've never been to any gaming-themed events and am planning to attend this one. One of the guests is Rae Johnston, her presence and Carlo's are helping reduce the automatic (and probably unfair) pessimism I feel about popular gaming events. 

So if you're in Sydney, or your name is Merus, or both, check out this Bonus Stage event and Big Head Mode.

Ha ha I bought tickets two days ago

The show is on at Giant Dwarf, which seems promising: it's a venue the Chaser troupe purchased to do live performances at. It might be terrible, it might not, but they apparently asked former premier Bob Carr what his favourite game was and reportedly he answered Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Never actually listened to Svampriket, but there's also Overkligt (http://overkligt.se/) which looks at games, movies and TV. Sometimes has some nice guests from varying fields (including Brothers creator Josef Fares who is a friend of the hosts) from all of these fields. When it comes to non-video game podcasts I mostly listen to radio programs from Swedish radio. My favourite there is Institutet (http://sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=4131) which focuses on science stuff that the hosts have found interesting/funny. One of the hosts has quite a regional dialect (Skåne), which might make him slightly harder to understand if you are unfamiliar with that dialect.

Ha ha I bought tickets two days ago

The show is on at Giant Dwarf, which seems promising: it's a venue the Chaser troupe purchased to do live performances at. It might be terrible, it might not, but they apparently asked former premier Bob Carr what his favourite game was and reportedly he answered Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Oh cool! Got my ticket too. I've been to Giant Dwarf a few times and they have all been good (and hilarious) experiences. I'll say hi if I see you there, and if me doing so isn't too creepy.

Oh, which Idle Thumbs episode had the most babboo?

Real talk, this is tough as hell to decide cause podcasts have been creating dominance as my primary medium for a while now.

That's awesome!

I think Swedish public service radio is quite good overall and although it varies a lot of hosts tend to be clear spoken, at least P1 which is the more serious talk radio channel. One show I like is Språket which is actually about the Swedish language. Sometimes they focus on esoteric things, like a certain phrase in a certain dialect mostly spoken by the older generation, but they cover more broad topics too. They have a show about gaming too, I don't listen to it myself but you can give it a shot.

PS. I enojy answering language related questions so if you have any don't hesitate to ask!

Tack alltihopa! Jag har bara en fråga, hur gör man svenska?

Translation for the curious... and maybe for the Swedish people if I just babbled incoherently there.

Thanks everybody! I have just one question, how does one Swedish?

I don't imagine anyone here is a Henry Rollins fan, but just in case I'm posting this here. Old man Rollins has finally gotten a tad bit more modern as his manager Heidi has made him start a new podcast. I love the banter between these two. I don't know if the podcast will be interesting to anyone not familiar with Rollins Band or Black Flag, probably not, but it's a lot of fun in the odd mess of a person Rollins is plus Heidi May who really doesn't care about his moodiness or hangups and instead makes fun of him.

Do you have the site or RSS that this is from? I don't use iTunes.

They don't really have a nice website designed to hold all of the podcast episodes in one place, but you could go here: http://henryrollins.com/news

I usually just get the updates from their Facebook page, I linked the Apple page because that is the only place where the episodes so far are neatly consolidated into one place. I don't think Heidi and especially Henry are that tech savvy to follow suit with other podcasts just yet.

Oh man the newest one is about a long lost track Rollins Band recorded with RuPaul. I hope this gets leaked one day. Sounds hilarious. Makes me think of the Shatner track with Henry as a guest star.

Coming to this thread and discovering that Henry Rollins has a podcast has made me so incredibly happy. I can't wait to find out how it fails to live up to my impossibly high expectations!

(Though honestly I suspect it'll taste roughly the same as Roderick on the Line, which is fine by me.)