Erkki

Other podcasts

I use Audacity, I would presume it has a noise gate feature?

Pretty sure I had to install a plugin when I used Audacity years ago, don't know if it's changed. Their official wiki should have plenty of plugin links and setup guides. I think Garageband has the feature natively.

Has anyone a suggestion for a good comedy podcast?

I tried Regular Features and had to stop transporting myself from one place to another because it was too hilarious. But since listening to my first few episodes, I've found the humor to be a little too gutter for my tastes.

I'm looking for comedy that can make me laugh uncontrollably without making me feel used?

My Brother My Brother and Me (or MBMBAM) is great. I can't listen to that at work or on the train for the same reason. 

They've also started a D&D Campaign Cast called The Adventure Zone, found at www.theadventure.zone with their dad, which is pretty good. 

I tried Regular Features and had to stop transporting myself from one place to another because it was too hilarious. But since listening to my first few episodes, I've found the humor to be a little too gutter for my tastes.

I'm looking for comedy that can make me laugh uncontrollably without making me feel used?

I totally agree, I like Regular Features but there is a lot of... body humor, so to speak.

I really like Stop Podcasting Yourself for my comedy needs. The Dead Authors Podcast is also funny because I like Paul F. Tompkins but I stopped listening to it because my podcast backlog is so ridiculous.

My Brother My Brother and Me (or MBMBAM) is great. I can't listen to that at work or on the train for the same reason. 

They've also started a D&D Campaign called The Adventure Zone, found at www.theadventure.zone with their dad which is pretty good. 

I had the same recommendation for MBMBaM.

Here is their sampler. It might give you an idea of what to expect: http://maximumfun.org/2011/05/10/mbmbam-sampler

Judge John Hodgman is pretty reliably funny.

I second the Adventure Zone recommendation as well.

Thanks for the recs. For some reason MBAM didn't click when I tried it last but I'll give your suggestions a go.

If nothing works I'll see if Mark Maron has any episodes about people who don't have a sense of humor.

The Comedy Bang Bang podcast is one I like. The quality varies a bit depending on the guests/characters but it's rarely bad and there have been a few times I was concerned about my driving because I was laughing so hard.

WTF w/ Marc Maron is great so long as you skip the first ~10 min of every episode. 

I second comedy bing bong and mbmbam/adv zone. Also check out Superego.

For cbb my recent favorites are ep 289 and 310. The 310 ep gets dirty but in a pretty entertaining way. Can also listen to the 4 part best of 2014 episode which also gives some insight on how they do the podcast

I've been listening to The Dollop for my comedy. When it's not being funny, it's being interesting, and when it's not being either of those things it's eroding my faith in humanity. It's not perfect - the hosts are not as progressive as they like to think they are, and while the prepared material usually isn't a problem, occasionally when reacting to the story some of their shittier opinions come up. (For instance, J Edgar Hoover might have been a transvestite, but that has nothing to do with his delusional paranoid fear of communist subversives.) If you can get past that, it is at least entertaining. The recent Cereal Men episode is a highlight.

For cbb my recent favorites are ep 289 and 310. The 310 ep gets dirty but in a pretty entertaining way. Can also listen to the 4 part best of 2014 episode which also gives some insight on how they do the podcast

Yeah those are both good ones for sure. A recent one I really liked was #326 (2014 Holiday Spectacular). Ho ho!

I'm gonna give another recommendation for The Flop House. Start with their episode on Food Fight, or the recent one on Rage.

My comedy podcast lineup at this point is:

MBMBAM

Adventure Zone

Sawbones, another McElroys-related podcast hosted by Dr. Sydnee McElroy (Justin's wife) with Justin co-hosting, where they talk about topics in medical history and some of the bizarre and bad ideas old-timey medicine had for how to cure disease.

Comedy Bang Bang

Improv4Humans, a weekly improv podcast hosted by Matt Besser. Basically, guests will get suggestions and tell stories based on those suggestions, which then serve as an inspiration for a short improv scene. Quality can really vary based on the guests, but when the guests are good the show is amazing.

Superego, which is a heavily edited improv thing. The members of Superego and the guests record some improv bits, which then get edited down and slickly produced to make up what seems to more resemble like an audio-only sketch comedy show. It apparently takes like 30 hours of work to produce a 30 minute Superego episode, which explains why there's only like 40 episodes for a podcast that's been around for around 9 years.

With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus. OK, this is a weird one. It's a podcast featuring Lauren Lapkus doing a bunch of character work along with a guest. However, the weird turn is that Lapkus is always the guest on a podcast that is ostensibly hosted by the actual guest. So, like, the first episode has Paul F. Tompkins as the host of a LA-based local affairs podcast and Lauren Lapkus doing a character as the guest of the fake podcast.

And for one that was just a limited series but one of my favorites of 2014, The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project (I think, it might be Pilot Podcast, I can never keep that straight). Each episode has Andy Daly playing characters he's played before on Comedy Bang Bang who have decided to try their hand at podcasting by producing a pilot episode. Every episode features Matt Gourley from Superego, as well as a couple of guests. My personal favorite from the run is The Travel Bug with August Lindt, which is among my favorite podcasts ever.

Comedy podcasts are hard I think, or maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.

Only one I really liked a lot was You Look Nice Today but there aren't any new episodes coming out. Which is why I went through the entire catalog twice already.

I was recommended No Such Thing As A Fish today. It's billed as produced by "The QI Elves", the producers and researchers for QI, which I would describe as somewhat but not really like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me but on TV and British. It's possibly humorous (?), and has things that they researched and maybe didn't make into the show.

Is anyone familiar? Would you back up the recommendation?

Yeah, for CBB, all of those are good.  I really like 289, it might be my favorite episode of this year.  I really love Matt Gourley's HR Giger.

But for just a sampler, I really have to suggest Best of 2014 part 1.  There's a rambling 30 minute intro that a first-time listener might just go ahead and skip over.  I enjoy the conversation, but, man, they really go on forever before they actually get to it.  But after that, the episode has the vulgar Gemberling bit you mention from Little Button Puss, what might be my favorite moment of the year in the The Victor Podcast, a condensed version of JW Stillwater's introduction, and is capped off with a compressed version of the Calvins Twins.  That's an incredibly good selection.

Yea they're all great. I too love gourley's hr giger whenever he shows up on superego, but here there was just so much great stuff. Mall Blart.

I was recommended No Such Thing As A Fish today. It's billed as produced by "The QI Elves", the producers and researchers for QI, which I would describe as somewhat but not really like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me but on TV and British. It's possibly humorous (?), and has things that they researched and maybe didn't make into the show.

Is anyone familiar? Would you back up the recommendation?

I was also recommended this. But I haven't listened to it yet.

I have listened, it's basically like QI lite and balanced slightly more towards the knowledge than humour. They still have the dynamic of the show itself, just a bit less funny. When I first heard they were starting it I hoped that they might go into the background on the stuff they're discussing, but it does largely mirror the show in terms of just throwing out things that are interesting to know and then often a light explanation for context.

I do recommend it. I'd say it's more on the comedy end than you might expect, if you're anything like me anyway.

I'll also re-recommend How Did This Get Made. It's the only other comedy focused podcast I listen to. For some reason any other one I've tried felt a bit like they were trying too hard to make the jokes and it felt more like a bunch of zingers than really a podcast with good jokes in it.  I guess I like podcasts to feel like a conversation or something.

Though I also have the really dumb thing where if a host laughs at their own joke that I didn't find funny, I almost always think the joke is even less funny for it. I have no idea if this is common behaviour or not but it constantly grates on me when I try to listen to a new comedycast that's not doing it for me.

Comedy podcasts are hard I think, or maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.

Only one I really liked a lot was You Look Nice Today but there aren't any new episodes coming out. Which is why I went through the entire catalog twice already.

I second this. The continuing absence of You Look Nice Today saddens me greatly, but if anyone hasn't yet listened to the episodes that do exist, I thoroughly recommend them.

Geez where were all these recommendations when I was asking about comedy podcasts. Well whatever I'm listening to Regular Features and The Bugle now so that's all I need.