Erkki

Other podcasts

My father-in-law is a Scotch drinker, and a couple of Christmases ago, my wife bought him a fairly nice bottle of scotch as a gift. We always invite our neighbors up for Christmas dinner, as their jobs keep them from being able to travel to see their own family. My neighbor had never had Scotch before, so when we opened the bottle after dinner, we gave him a small glass of it. He took one drink, grimaced and said, "I have never needed a drink so badly that I would want to drink this." He's a very blunt man.

Heh that sounds about right. Myself, I've tried to get used to Scotch but it is a difficult thing to do. I actually like the taste of it (unlike how I feel about beer - the hops, I guess?), but it is just so strong. I can drink it but I drink it slower than most. Except for one time I had Scotch and it was just so smooth going down and it was heaven and I wish I knew what kind it was.

Anyway Shut Up & Sit Down is good and so is their offshoot video game podcast Daft Souls. HAVE I MENTIONED DAFT SOULS BECAUSE IF I HASN'T IT IS REALLY GOOD IN MY HUMBLE (AND CORRECT) OPINION.

One of the reasons I have gone over to drinking scotches and whiskeys is because I drink them slower.  A single shot of scotch on ice will usually last me an hour, whereas I'm likely to put down 2-3 hard ciders in the same amount of time. 

I have no new podcast recommendations. 

Yeah that is as good a reason to switch as any! I don't usually drink outside of social contexts, but if I were, Scotch would be a good choice.

As far as podcasts go, I've got a request...

I recently dropped a podcast that literally had over 10 hours of content a week because I tired, well, stuff, some gross stuff. It was a comedy podcast! I now have a vacuous hole in my podcast rotation and I would like to fill it with comedy. Most common recommendation is My Brother, My Brother and Me. I've listened to it before and did not like it, but I plan to give it another shot as soon as I catch up on Bombcast. I just finished E3 2012 so... almost there?! Any other sweet recommendations?

If you don't already, try listening to How Did This Get Made. It's a bad movie podcast and they have a pretty fun chemistry between them and they also don't feel the need to also talk about every movie as a pile of crap, they sometimes just enjoy them as dumb fun.

That's all I've got for comedy but I just wanna reiterate a recommendation from earlier. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is so so good. It's basically like a series of mini history books about various topics where he takes you through the context and series of events for a given topic. It's really well written and clear as it takes you through the points. Episodes before 40 cost $2/3 each but it's free from after that up to the latest episodes, which include a 4 part dissection of World War 1.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE COMPARISON I'VE BEEN USING

The Bombcast from a few weeks ago with John Drake is about when I started making that comparison. Drake very much seems like Frank Grimes having his public meltdown over how Homer's stupidity is so dangerous.

I recently dropped a podcast that literally had over 10 hours of content a week because I tired, well, stuff, some gross stuff. It was a comedy podcast! I now have a vacuous hole in my podcast rotation and I would like to fill it with comedy. Most common recommendation is My Brother, My Brother and Me. I've listened to it before and did not like it, but I plan to give it another shot as soon as I catch up on Bombcast. I just finished E3 2012 so... almost there?! Any other sweet recommendations?

On MBMBAM, they have some samplers up on YouTube of a some good bits.
is the older sampler. There's a 2013 sampler too which is also good, but I kinda prefer some of these bits (like warrior cats and chinchilla shop names).

It won't fill that giant hole, but I also enjoy Superego. Superego is like a podcast sketch show in a way. They do live improv to record the episodes, but then go back and edit them down, add music and sound effects, and such. For an example, the most recent episode had Neko Case as a guest in a bit, and they had her and the Shunt McGuppin character singing a capella, then went back and recorded music to fit the dry vocals and edited it together to make it sound like they were recording with a live band. That's the most involved work they've done, but they've said most of the 30 minute episodes take around 30 hours to create.

They're really not on a regular schedule, because they produce episodes in seasons where they release episodes roughly monthly (though with season 4 they've warned they probably won't be able to keep that pace). Also, seasons 1 and 2 are behind a paywall now, but Best Of episodes covering those seasons are free. Season 3 is like 17 episodes, and the first episode of season 4 is out. I'd suggest Season 3 Episode 3 as a good starting point if you just want to dip your toe in. There's basically no continuity or anything, so don't feel like you have to start from the beginning.

Yeah that is as good a reason to switch as any! I don't usually drink outside of social contexts, but if I were, Scotch would be a good choice.

Superego

Comdey Bang bang. Also look up the podmass feature on the av club from the last couple months cause they mentioned alot of different comedy podcasts

Dang. That's a lot of recommendations. NO MORE! PLEASE! I'm drowning in them! D:

SCREW YOU I really like TOFOP for my 'two comedians chatting in a room' kind of podcast (it's the only one that's managed to make me consistently laugh), and I hear The Dollop (which is a comic examination of a topic) is also really good.

For comedy podcasts, I recently started listening to Regular Features and am loving it. It's the third part of the Matt Lees triforce together with Daft Souls and Shut Up & Sit Down, but is stricly about comedy. It's quite funny, the hosts have a good rapport, and as we all know British accents makes everything funnier.

I wanna know how Dan managed to never once hear about Frozen. Like, I could understand not seeing it or not liking it, but not knowing that it existed? The highest-grossing animated film of all time? Fifth-highest grossing film, period? How?

I only heard about it from reading one of your posts about it. I'm not really in touch with Disney at all anymore.

The Shut Up & Sit Down podcast is worth listening to if you're into board games at all. I hadn't listened to it in awhile, but I need to give a special shout out to a particular episode called "Brendan's Correct Way to Scratch" from July 10th. I think everyone should listen to it, and can only describe it as literary genius!

SUSD is so good, I'm not even that big on board games. I mostly got into it from being a fan of Quinns during his RPS days. Sold me on Netrunner.

Are you in touch with cinemas though

Or small children

Are you in touch with small children wait don't answer that

I only heard about it from reading one of your posts about it. I'm not really in touch with Disney at all anymore.

You're Dutch though, right? Frozen got very heavily advertised here.

I've heard of Frozen because I have a coworker who's really into Disney, and I know that it has a song called "Let It Go" because I've seen a lot of dumb jokes about it on Twitter, but I've never seen any marketing for it and couldn't tell you what it's about, name a character, or identify a screenshot from it.

Pro Tip: a tiny bit of water (like 1:10) cuts the burn and opens the flavour of the scotch up.

There are a huge range of flavours. To find one you like, a scotch tasting is money well spent.

Even better is a father inlaw in the Masons. Those dudes duh-rink.

You people are bumming me out with how down on the Bombcast you are. I still really enjoy it and find Dan funny and likeable. Sure, he's a ridiculous idiot, but he seems to know that he is. That's what separates him from Karl Pilkington or the stereotypical gamer or whatever in my book. It's not necessarily something I'd encourage, but his wilful blissful ignorance hardly seems malicious or damaging to anyone other than himself. His stories about how he got through school were a bit frustrating, but not enough to significantly change how I feel about the man, and certainly not enough to put me off listening to the podcast.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I think he brings a lot of fun to the site.

The latest Bombcast has a lot of Dan Ryckertisms; like trying to steal a painting while drunk by stuffing it into his pants and later having to pull glass shards out of his ass, or getting a dog and then changing his mind and giving it away within 24 hours on two nonconsecutive occasions.

The latest Bombcast has a lot of Dan Ryckertisms; like trying to steal a painting while drunk by stuffing it into his pants and later having to pull glass shards out of his ass, or getting a dog and then changing his mind and giving it away within 24 hours on two nonconsecutive occasions.

You left out what might have been the most horrifying bit for me, which was when he was talking about his failures as a pet owner and how people had remarked to him that he really shouldn't have children, to which he mused that he'd probably be fine as a dad, and if not, there's always that law about how people can abandon babies at fire stations.

How did I listen to that and only remember the last part and the fight club bar

Also, it's pretty fucking patronizing for Dan to talk about how you can make it in the industry if you just keep at it. I'm sure Mattie Brice and Jenn Frank would still be around if they had spent their college years making drinking game videos.

Also, it's pretty fucking patronizing for Dan to talk about how you can make it in the industry if you just keep at it. I'm sure Mattie Brice and Jenn Frank would still be around if they had spent their college years making drinking game videos.

Willful ignorance about important stuff goes hand-in-hand with willful ignorance about trivial stuff. Or, at least, that's what Ricky Gervais has built a comedy career around.