Erkki

Other podcasts

Are there any podcasts similar to Idle Thumbs in that they're not afraid to joke around, but with more of a focus on game design/development? Also, I don't mind incredibly long casts.

They don't goof around as much but an old schoolmate of mine hosts the fairly new cast Up Up Down Down. His partner on the show worked at Radical from the DOS days right up to before Prototype 2 so he has a ton of knowledge, and they have a lot of really good developer guests on as well. A bit of an Apple slant at times (Allen used to work for them and they are iOS-primary developers in their current dayjob) but its not too bad most of the time. http://www.upup.fm/

So I finally found a comedy podcast I really like (MBMBaM is funny, but they also do a twenty minute ad read and that gets old fast): TOFOP is popular Australian comedian Wil Anderson and his friend Charlie Clausen, and on the same feed is FOFOP which is Wil Anderson without Charlie Clausen but with other friends as Wil tries to break into the American comedy scene. The episodes with Dave Anthony are a particular highlight.

Science:

New York Times Science Times: Solid weekly Science News podcast. 

BBC Inside Science: Ditto

The Infinite Monkey Cage: A fantastic BBC Science discussion with jokes. When does a strawberry truly die?

Comedy:

The Bugle: John Oliver and Andy Zoltsman host an amazing news podcast. Its a darker version of The Daily Show.

News:

Carnegie Council Podcast: Fantastic indepth discussions of current events, from experts in the field.

New Yorker Political Scene: Weekly discussion of political news in the US.

RAND congressional briefings: Hear smart people talk about important things.

The World Next Week: Discussion of important events, summits, etc that will be happening next week,

Misc:

BBC In Our Time: A discussion program that picks one topic and really fleshes it out, previous episodes include: the sun, the talmud, the Sino-Japanese war. 

Has the US version of Intelligence Squared been recommended?  I think there is a British original as well, though I haven't checked it out.  It's a lot of the same talking heads you'll see show up on TV news, but with the hour format they get to dig into issues without having to cram everything into a 3 minute scream-fest for cable viewers. 

I really really want to like isometric but something about it really isn't meshing for me. Bummer.

Also, going to throw out a recommendation for The Dissolve podcast. They talk about movies and have neat guests and are pretty cool.

I'm sure it's been mentioned by now, but I want to shamefully admit that I finally got around to checking out Filmspotting and it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a movie podcast.

Now to attempt to digest 500 episodes of backlog.

This episode of 99% Invisible is really good - http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-sound-of-sports/

Talks about the sound design of live sports, which is a fascinating thing that I've never given much thought to. And it's an unusual episode, as it basically just is a rebroadcast of a hour-long documentary on the subject that was excerpted for an earlier episode of the podcast.

That almost makes me want to listen to the bombcast, but I'm being too hopeful. He can't possibly be full Pilkington, can he?

It makes me want to never listen to it again. that thing is already too long, and throwing willful ignorance into the mix just isn't for me.

I dropped Giant Bomb out of my rotation a while a go and went all the way by unsubscribing since Dan joined the podcast recently. Vinny was always my favourite and since he left the podcast seems to be made up of snark and manbaby moments. The email thing with the poop in a swimming pool when Brad was hosting was just silly, it could have been funny if they didn't play it up so much but it just kept going on and on. Dan's shoebox story sort of appalled me, and the fact that he just uses/used paper plates for every meal is crazy to me.

I don't think any of them are bad people, I just can't really empathise or understand them so I just decided I'd stop trudging through three hours and give the whole thing a miss. 

I agree. I mostly listened for Ryan and Vinny, while Brad and Drew I shared similar taste in games with. I found it rough to listen to after Ryan passed, I tried to give it a chance after Vinny left, but Dan was the straw that broke the camel's back. Fair enough if people find his brand of infantile man-childishness amusing, but I don't have enough time in my week anymore to listen to 3 hours of them talking about American fast food, shit-talking Aussies, and turds in a pool. To me Dan feels like the dumber version of what non-gamers think gamers are like. I'll still watch some of their video content.

That almost makes me want to listen to the bombcast, but I'm being too hopeful. He can't possibly be full Pilkington, can he?

I wonder how long it'll take them to realise that Australians express nearly every opinion with at least some level of irony.

I remember while I was living at uni that we traumatised an international student when she came to the conclusion that Australians genuinely hated Americans. We did eventually talk her down by explaining that we're just like that and that most of that ill-feeling she was hearing was a little exaggerated.

The guy is basically a 12 year old in a 30 year old's body. Like I'm pretty confident he would argue cheese wiz is better than any real cheese. But at least when it comes to video games he's got an enthusiasm that I think the GB crew really needed once Vinny left. Everything about him outside of games is both baffling and infuriating though.

I wanna know how Dan managed to never once hear about Frozen. Like, I could understand not seeing it or not liking it, but not knowing that it existed? The highest-grossing animated film of all time? Fifth-highest grossing film, period? How?

Until now I mostly found Dan mildly amusing, but the story on the latest podcast about how he got through a semester of college by not going to class for a semester and convincing the professor to give him 14 credit hours' worth of As for no reason really rubbed me the wrong way. Now I feel like the Frank Grimes to his Homer Simpson.

Now I feel like the Frank Grimes to his Homer Simpson.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE COMPARISON I'VE BEEN USING

Giant Bomb got a bottle of Glenkinchie single-malt scotch and Dan is threatening to drink it with soda - https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/510496775179075584

This is a man who still drinks 40s and considers anything but Bud to be garbage fancy beer. He's a monster.

Until now I mostly found Dan mildly amusing, but the story on the latest podcast about how he got through a semester of college by not going to class for a semester and convincing the professor to give him 14 credit hours' worth of As for no reason really rubbed me the wrong way. Now I feel like the Frank Grimes to his Homer Simpson.

And he got an A in a class he never attended by showing the prof a video he made for doing power hours (a drinking game). Those stories both really irritated me. I am Frank Grimes and he is Homer Simpson.

Sigh...he's going to be the first man on Mars isn't he?

Hahaha that's incredible.

I can't really blame him for that, though. Scotch is HARD TO DRINK if it's not your thing.

My father-in-law is a Scotch drinker, and a couple of Christmases ago, my wife bought him a fairly nice bottle of scotch as a gift. We always invite our neighbors up for Christmas dinner, as their jobs keep them from being able to travel to see their own family. My neighbor had never had Scotch before, so when we opened the bottle after dinner, we gave him a small glass of it. He took one drink, grimaced and said, "I have never needed a drink so badly that I would want to drink this." He's a very blunt man.

The Shut Up & Sit Down podcast is worth listening to if you're into board games at all. I hadn't listened to it in awhile, but I need to give a special shout out to a particular episode called "Brendan's Correct Way to Scratch" from July 10th. I think everyone should listen to it, and can only describe it as literary genius!