Erkki

Other podcasts

I enjoy the wit and banter there a lot, im barely even gaming at the moment but I still give it a listen

I was current with it from when it started up until around episode 25-30, but I haven't had as much time to listen to it so I'm months behind now. I should try and catch up sometime though as I really like it, especially as someone who was super into the PC Gamer UK podcast

who likes to listen to podcasts at 1.2x speed, 

Hold on, is this a Thing, or are you just a crazy person?

It's a thing. You can listen to audio at a higher rate pretty easily. It might get tricky at 1.5x if you're either not paying that much attention or listening to a fast talker but it's totally doable. I've gone up to 2x before on slow paced tutorial videos and it was fine.

It's both a thing and something people like to give me some shit over for some reason? I dunno, I just listen to enough podcasts that speeding them up lets me listen to a couple more. 1.2x is pretty easy to get used to and really doesn't mess with my understanding of 99% of people, except in the case of non-Americans speaking at Skype call quality. When a glut of podcasts come out during stuff like E3, CES, or SDCC, I'll listen up to 1.5 or 1.7 because my backlog is terrible at those times.

Hold on, is this a Thing, or are you just a crazy person?

I do, all the time. There are only two podcasts where I don't. Thumbs because it's indecipherable at higher speed, and the Thrilling Adventure Hour because it's a dramatic piece and the pacing is important.

i am up to 2.0x on most casts these days. I accidentally got about 65hrs behind on my general queue and it was the only way i could figure out how to catch up.  Surprisingly my retention is pretty good, but it is much easier to get lost in a conversation if an email pops up & 2 minutes blow by.

It takes a couple hours, but getting used to the 2x speed is pretty easy.  The issue it is causing at work though is that I am then expecting the rest of the world to speak quickly, when people ring my desk that speak normal it is aggravating - and there are some folks who talk slow anyways - this is infuriating

This conversation at least makes me feel better that my text-to-speech rate on my phone is at the highest setting. I talk very fast unless I'm watching myself, which actually is a huge professional liability for me, and so I have no problem understanding other people talking fast, unless there's also some heavy dialect work going on.

Has anyone found a reasonable substitute for Tone Control?  Short of Rock Paper Shotgun's Game and a Chat stream I can not find anything like it.

Interesting! My podcast backlog is pretty big right now, so I'll have to try this.

Has anyone found a reasonable substitute for Tone Control? Short of Rock Paper Shotgun's Game and a Chat stream I can not find anything like it.

The closest I can think of is Extended Memory and The Game Design Round Table. I don't think they will satiate your needs completely though.

I guess I'll link this to peeps, since it's ending soon. A podcast called "We're Alive" is basically a serial drama about a zombie outbreak.

It starts from the perspective of three guys in the army, but thankfully it's not written as overly celebratory of the military. In general it's kind of ropey writing, never stellar but the writers clearly don't want to totally follow the conventional guidelines of writing and like to disrupt expectations.

I've found it enjoyable and compelling throughout the 3 seasons, so I think it's worth a listen. In a few weeks the final episode will be out there too so you could pretty much blast through if you feel like it.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I've listened to this whole thing, too. I don't think it's that good. I mean, the writing is all right and entertaining enough, but the acting is godawful. Everyone sounds stilted and awkward like they don't know how to... act. Obviously I liked it well enough to never give up, but part of that was because I kept hoping they'd get better. They... never did.

anyway

PLAYBACK SPEEDS.

Someone tell me they have a good podcatcher/player for PC that allows me to change the playback speed. How iTunes doesn't have this fucking feature after YEARS of the iPod having it built in is beyond me. EDIT: I found a Google search result that claims iTunes does have this feature but I'm pretty sure that's a filthy lie. I'm... going to try gPodder again. I've tried it before. Was never a fan. iTunes may have a lot of problems, but it's a really good podcatcher aside from this admittedly minor missing feature. Maybe I should just suffer with it until I get used to it. EDIT EDIT: Google lied to me twice. gPodder doesn't even have it's own audio player, so how could it possibly have variable playback speed?! I'd forgotten that. Guess that is why I wasn't a fan!

i use VLC for PC playback at work

but i also download the mp3 files individually from my respective cast's sites

VLC is almost perfect except it doesn't track which episodes I've already listened to. It just displays the whole feed. So it's almost perfect but it sucks ass.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I've listened to this whole thing, too. I don't think it's that good. I mean, the writing is all right and entertaining enough, but the acting is godawful. Everyone sounds stilted and awkward like they don't know how to... act. Obviously I liked it well enough to never give up, but part of that was because I kept hoping they'd get better. They... never did.

Oh yeah, I don't really care about acting that much so I didn't really think to say but it's really not gonna draw you in with that if the acting is an integral part of the experience to you.

Given that it's a radio drama, I think the acting is pretty important! It's utterly bizarre to me that you say you don't care, hah.

I worded that poorly, I'm not very conscious of acting in general in film/TV as well as radio. I'm sure it has an effect on me but it's not what I focus on liking/disliking and mostly only really notice when it's really good or amusingly bad (ie. The Room). We're Alive (I also... don't like that name much) was just very muted and full of people reading lines that didn't add much but they didn't do it so poorly that they took something away from it (for me at least) or made it laughable. They communicated the story to me like it was a reading of an audiobook. I care less about that and more about the story being entertaining in itself.

Are there any podcasts similar to Idle Thumbs in that they're not afraid to joke around, but with more of a focus on game design/development? Also, I don't mind incredibly long casts.

That's fair, SBM. I think I agree with everything you just said, I just care slightly more!

VLC is almost perfect except it doesn't track which episodes I've already listened to. It just displays the whole feed. So it's almost perfect but it sucks ass.

my delete key is my tracker.  done with the show, done with the file

i suppose you could compile a play list and save that...and then delete from the playlist to eliminate as you go through (or in order top-down)

You can't delete it from the RSS feed though. I also find it easier to just stream the episodes these days, rather than having to download them.

Are there any podcasts similar to Idle Thumbs in that they're not afraid to joke around, but with more of a focus on game design/development? Also, I don't mind incredibly long casts.

Crate and Crowbar does get into development a bit, as Tom Francis (Gunpoint dev) is on it and some of the others on the show also dabble.  And there quite often have long conversations about design.  

Try One Life Left.  Its the only other game podcast i thoroughly enjoy as much as Idle Thumbs, and the style is similar-ish 

So this isn't really a productive or useful comment, but it's on my mind and I don't know where else to say it.

I've been listening to the Bombcast for a while, but I'm really tempted to give up on it since Vinny isn't on it and Dan Ryckert is. I can't tell if Dan is actually the weird caricature of a person that he seems to be on the internet, but either way I'm finding his podcast appearances to be pretty off-putting.