Erkki

Other podcasts

Can anyone recommend a good comics podcast? Preferably not much in the way of superheroes, more indie and manga stuff?

Can anyone recommend a good comics podcast? Preferably not much in the way of superheroes, more indie and manga stuff?

I've only had a chance to listen to a couple of episodes so I can't speak for its consistency but I did enjoy what I've heard so far

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/category/decompressed/

might be worth a try for you. Not so much on the manga side but he does cover a lot of indies. it's kinda like tone control for comics.

Hey, I'm new here! These forums are big and scary, and I wasn't sure where to make my first post (Don't know if there's a 'welcome' thread anywhere). Anyway, here are my favourite podcasts (Apart from Idle Thumbs, of course):

Crate and Crowbar

Not a Game Podcast

Daft Souls

Hey, I'm new here! These forums are big and scary, and I wasn't sure where to make my first post (Don't know if there's a 'welcome' thread anywhere). Anyway, here are my favourite podcasts (Apart from Idle Thumbs, of course):

Crate and Crowbar

Not a Game Podcast

Daft Souls

Welcome!

I've started listening to the Grantland pop culture podcasts a fair bit incidentally. My own cast, which I've plugged here before, is chugging away. Two of us are considering putting together a Star Trek: DS9 cast for the fun of it. BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ENOUGH OF THOSE IN THE WORLD, DAMN IT.

This has been my favorite as of late:

U Talkin' U2 To Me?

Scott (Aukerman) and (Adam) Scott talk all things U2!

Recommended if you like those two people and think they're pretty hilarious.  Liking U2 is not a necessity, and in fact can be more funny if you don't.  They don't talk much about U2, in fact.  It's so gleeful and energetic.  Start with episode 1, as the series really tells a story, and they expect the podcast to have an end (hopefully for their sake) pretty soon.

Before discovering Idle Thumbs, my favourite podcast was Stay Forever (German-language retro PC gaming).

Besides that, I also enjoy or enjoyed Three Moves Ahead (strategy gaming), Rock, Paper, Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show (discontinued British PC gaming), PC Gamer UK Podcast (discontinued British PC gaming), Crate and Crowbar (British PC gaming), Major Spoilers' Critical Hit (tabletop role-playing actual play) and Alternativlos (German-language politics and technology).

Also, would somebody happen to have a list of guest appearances of the Thumbs crew on other podcasts? Because I find that to be a great way to try out and discover new podcasts. For example, I mainly discovered the PC Gamer UK podcast because RPS' John Walker and Jim Rossignol were on some of the early episodes. On a final tangent, does somebody have a copy of episode 38 of the PC Gamer UK podcast? It seems to be missing from their archives and I already tried to mail them about it, but to no avail.

Before discovering Idle Thumbs, my favourite podcast was Stay Forever (German-language retro PC gaming).

Besides that, I also enjoy or enjoyed Three Moves Ahead (strategy gaming), Rock, Paper, Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show (discontinued British PC gaming), PC Gamer UK Podcast (discontinued British PC gaming), Crate and Crowbar (British PC gaming), Major Spoilers' Critical Hit (tabletop role-playing actual play) and Alternativlos (German-language politics and technology).

Also, would somebody happen to have a list of guest appearances of the Thumbs crew on other podcasts? Because I find that to be a great way to try out and discover new podcasts. For example, I mainly discovered the PC Gamer UK podcast because RPS' John Walker and Jim Rossignol were on some of the early episodes. On a final tangent, does somebody have a copy of episode 38 of the PC Gamer UK podcast? It seems to be missing from their archives and I already tried to mail them about it, but to no avail.

A quick check reveals I have  "PC Gamer Podcast: Episode 38 - Karma Minds" is that the episode you are missing?

Yes, that's the one! If you could upload it somewhere, that'd be great.

So I started listening to Night Vale and it's interesting, but I really don't like the narration. I get that this isn't a professional thing and the guy isn't a professional VO artist, but man it's just super stiff and awkward to listen to. It's been around for a while so maybe he's gotten better, should I try listening to a recent episode and give it another shot?

Maybe? I can't remember the early ones much, but it also helps that other characters start showing up later on

He's supposed to sound stiff and awkward so if you don't like that, you're not going to like Nightvale.

He's actually a pretty good VO guy, professional or not, based entirely on Nightvale.

By stiff and awkward I meant like it seemed like he was just reading a script the whole time, even when he wasn't supposed to be reading news copy. A lot of times that's an issue with the writing though, I dunno. Something about it was really fake and distracting to me.

I'm pretty sure you just don't like how he's supposed to sound. I don't think it's changed much. Try a more recent episode I guess. Just not the most recent. He's not even in it.

Anyone here have thoughts on Vinny leaving the Giant Bombcast?  Patrick moving back to Chicago wound up working out relatively well and created some nice new content but its certainly a little scary for them to have to welcome in two new hires to the podcast.  For the most part everyone seems to be excited for Vinny but fearful for the future.

I look forward to what he'll do in NYC and can't wait to hear who they wind up hiring. 

I feel like Jeff and Ryan were the core of what I originally thought as the Bombcast; as long as Jeff is still there, it represents what it traditionally was for me personally. That said, the lack of Vinny will be noticeable. I'm really hoping they hire an established personality that we know gels well with the guys, but knowing them they could also bring in a scrub that could fit in just as well as anyone else.

Right now, I'm still in optimistic territory. Vinny could make Giant Bomb East much more of a "thing" with its own "real" podcast that makes it feel more like a division of Giant Bomb rather than a niche spinoff. Jeff, Brad, and Drew have plenty of personality to go around, but I do think they need someone new to fill the niches in interests in that side of the team.

Right now, I'm still in optimistic territory. Vinny could make Giant Bomb East much more of a "thing" with its own "real" podcast that makes it feel more like a division of Giant Bomb rather than a niche spinoff. Jeff, Brad, and Drew have plenty of personality to go around, but I do think they need someone new to fill the niches in interests in that side of the team.

I feel similarly, though the Bombcast fell out of my rotation over a year ago. That's more a statement on my current listening habits than it is any kind of comment on the cast's quality, though I was a little tired of Jeff's schtick. That site can be weird, with a lot (a LOT) of users using photographs of the main contributors as their avatars and the like. It's probably just me but I felt that had bled into the cast a bit.

While saying that, Vinny was always good and I'd be hugely interested in small-scale cast led by him. For one thing, it might be less than an hour long so I could get it into my rotation!

Vinny's been the only guy on the podcast that I've enjoyed hearing from recently.  Jeff sounds like he needs to take a sabbatical and not play games for a bit (or has he always been this jaded and Ryan just managed to bring out the positivity in him?).  I've never been a fan of Brad's presence other than as the straight man, but now that Drew is on the cast, they seem to be battling over the top-spot for personality least suited for entertaining.

I'm being hyperbolic, but I do think Vinny leaving is like breaking up the band.

Vinny's presence brings a vibe of happiness and enthusiasm about games that the 3 others just don't bring. I think he and Jeff play really well off each other, and are the drivers of the Bombcast's goofiness which I appreciate. It would be a hard spot to fill, especially for a podcast's whose chemistry is perhaps already a little shaky.

...and then we see a new podcast, with Vinny and Nick Breckon. And they try to do some form of answering emails from fans, but every single one ends with either "Congrats Nick" or "Fuck Vinny", so they stop doing that.

Umm I done goofed how do I delete a second post? Or is this here forever?

Quoted so we always know Ucantalas' shame.

Vinny is what? Is he still with GB in general? That guy MAKES that site, as far as I'm concerned. He is a master of taking something that has no right to be hilarious and finding all of the perfect fun and silliness in it. He just brings this amazingly infectious lighthearted attitude to everything he does and can make anything fun. I think I need to go check GB and see what the hell happened.

I don't really know Giant Bomb but I understand he's moving back to New York. He isn't leaving Giant Bomb the company, and will probably start up a new podcast like Patrick Klepek did.