Erkki

Other podcasts

Little disappointed (though not overly surprised) that Planet Money might be editorially compromised: one of the producers and hosts, Adam Davidson, routinely flouts conflict of interest rules, and Planet Money's chief sponsor lobbied against the Consumer Finance Protection Act. He also hosted an interview with Elizabeth Warren in which he attacked her on specious grounds. Apparently it's also part of a pattern at NPR and PBS of taking money from organisations that expect to be able to dictate editorial content, most notoriously with PBS's series on the pension 'crisis'.

I probably should have been more careful with their 'counter-intuitive' reporting on the clothing factories of Bangladesh.

I don't really know what to do with that information other than take Planet Money with a grain of salt. The truth is, I wouldn't know very much about the financial industry if Planet Money wasn't a source of information for me. That being said, I don't take what they say as gospel, only a starting point for further discovery. Since I've started listening to that podcast, I've read books about the financial industry and the history of finance, I've been more likely to pick up The Economist or Businessweek while I'm at the airport, or be more engaged in learning about legislation pushed by people like Elizabeth Warren despite how she was treated on-air.

So, I find Planet Money generally a source for good in my life, though not immune to criticism and skepticism.

It's not an actual podcast, but there's a series of videos on YouTube called the Game Audio Hour where every Monday a group of people who do various audio work in the games industry record an hour long or so Google Hangout and upload it. I think there's around 4 so far so it's pretty new still, but it's great and Vincent Diamante from ThatGameCompany has been on it a lot and I think he might be my favorite person in the field.

I need podcasts to listen to at work, I'm running low and I need at least another 4 months of content.

Can I maybe get some recommendations based on my tastes? I regularly listen to comedy type podcasts. While I like informative stuff, if it's not presented in an entertaining way, I get bored and I need podcasts to stave off boredom for now. My staples are Ricky Gervais Show, Idlethumbs (of course), a show called Technology Bytes that is broadcasted on Wednesdays in Houston that I love, My Brother, My Brother and Me, Sawbones, and This American Life. That last one is not really humorous, but This American Life is always great. I don't know if those are a good cross section of what I find funny, so there you go.

But anyway, I'm pretty much caught up on all of those shows. I guess if I can't get enough of my McElroy fix, I can try Besties on Polygon, but last time I tried that podcast, it was so bad and stale I couldn't listen to Mbmbam for a year. It was like two different people and it was just so boring. Maybe the later episodes get better?

FYI the Besties stopped recently

Edit: I guess that's not exactly right, they're just doing one per month

On topic, I struggle to find consistently good podcasts but I enjoy the Not A Game podcast, I appreciate that most episodes have two women hosts and two men

The besties is good when they go completely off the rails.  Though some of the planned bits are (intentionally) horrible.

Have you listened to comedy bang bang at all?

I need podcasts to listen to at work, I'm running low and I need at least another 4 months of content.

Can I maybe get some recommendations based on my tastes? I regularly listen to comedy type podcasts. While I like informative stuff, if it's not presented in an entertaining way, I get bored and I need podcasts to stave off boredom for now. My staples are Ricky Gervais Show, Idlethumbs (of course), a show called Technology Bytes that is broadcasted on Wednesdays in Houston that I love, My Brother, My Brother and Me, Sawbones, and This American Life. That last one is not really humorous, but This American Life is always great. I don't know if those are a good cross section of what I find funny, so there you go.

But anyway, I'm pretty much caught up on all of those shows. I guess if I can't get enough of my McElroy fix, I can try Besties on Polygon, but last time I tried that podcast, it was so bad and stale I couldn't listen to Mbmbam for a year. It was like two different people and it was just so boring. Maybe the later episodes get better?

Perhaps you'd also like: Jordan Jesse Go, The Bugle, The Thrilling Adventure Hour, The Dead Author's Podcast, International Waters, and You Look Nice Today

The last one's a dead podcast, but it has a decent archive to get through.

A Gamble: Comedy Bang Bang, Doug Loves Movies

Also, if you like This American Life, check out The Memory Palace. It's maybe also something you'd like.

If you like TIL, you may like: Storycorps, The Moth Radio Hour, Ted Radio Hour

Anyone else think the Giant Bombcasts have been really bad lately?

I don't mean to seem like I'm on a massive anit-Giant Bomb campaign but their latest episode contains a 5 minute section where they attempt to fix a technical problem. It's just Vinny saying "how about now?" as they try to determine the source of an annoying noise they can hear, and one that I assume isn't as bad for the listeners to hear but is still irritating. I mean why the hell would you include in the podcast? Just edit that shit out man. 

It's been a long time since I listened to the Giant Bomb guys regularly. I had been a huge fan of the Hotspot (my first ever podcast!) and I was a fan of those guys and found them entertaining. When the energy drink reviews became a bigger chunk of what they did, I was in on the joke but it was a little much for me. Over time I've lost interest, partly because I switched to playing PC games exclusively but also the length; I have a rotation I really like now for exercising and commuting, and three hours is a big chunk of time. With the possible exception of Spelunky now and again, I don't have a game I'd be okay with muting while I play either. 

Actually, Idle Thumbs replaced the Bombcast for me, and I found out about Idle Thumbs through a recommendation Brad Shoemaker made on Giantbomb.com. I still find those guys very entertaining, so perhaps I should try and figure out a way to get back into it. I just don't feel like doing my own hour long edit.

The Nerdist has a gigantic backlog with amazing guests (Including Gabe Newell!). You have to not mind Chris Hardwick (the host) but I find him pretty pleasant to listen to as well. He's a huge comedy nerd which seems to fit your tastes.

I've been listening to The Nerdist since around the summer of 2010, with a few lapses (which means that due to the high output it doesn't take long for a fairly large backlog to develop and they can take a while to clear) and as a general comedy podcast I really enjoy it. It can help if you know who the guest is on the non hostful ones but I've managed to find enjoyment in finding out about people I had never heard of before (generally other comedians). The ones without a guest (the hostful episodes) are usually very funny but there also tends to be a lot of in jokes that newer listeners may not get. Also recently there have been some deep & meaningful ones as the main guy (Chris Hardwick, aka The Nerdist) uses the time to sort stuff out with his co-hosts (Matt Mira & Jonah Ray).

The Nerdist Network itself has a load of podcast but other than the Nerdist I only really listen to The Indoor Kids which is their gaming (and general pop culture) podcast hosted by Kumail Nanjiani & Emily Gordon. They're a husband and wife team who generally have a good time discussing games mostly but also movies and related stuff.

Plus Kumail is a great stand up comedian! He also appears frequently on Harmontown, which I've recently been getting into.  The ridiculous ongoing D&D game in it is the best.

The Nerdist has a gigantic backlog with amazing guests (Including Gabe Newell!). You have to not mind Chris Hardwick (the host) but I find him pretty pleasant to listen to as well. He's a huge comedy nerd which seems to fit your tastes.

Yeah, this is my problem. I like some of the guests a lot, but Hardwick grates unfortunately. Something about his personality just really doesn't click with me.

I will third The Indoor Kids. They have a less invested angle on games than the thumbs, but that can be refreshing. They're also just generally funny and intelligent people and they get entertaining guests.

So I finished listening to The History of Rome podcast, which I picked up when trying to supplement Dan Carlin. I have to say, for all that I found Mike Duncan's presentation a little lackluster, I'm still impressed at the fluency and self-assurance his detailed survey of the Republic and Empire bequeathed to me. Even things I'd normally complain about, like devoting almost a dozen podcasts to the Barracks Emperors and the Crisis of the Third Century, ended up benefiting me just because no one's ever bothered to cover the events in any great depth.

I can't recommend this podcast enough. Anyone who wants an encyclopedic take on the history of Rome and doesn't mind a somewhat homespun approach is strongly encouraged to check a few episodes out.

Based on this recommendation from the ancient past I started listening to this The History of Rome Podcast as well and I like it! I like that he calls it a podcast even though it's just one guy (which is probably not technically inaccurate but for some reason I always think an internet talking-series with a single person is more of an Audio Web Log); I also like that he starts every episode by saying, "Hello", and that the tone of his voice doesn't change when he is making jokes. =P I find myself retaining more of the stories than I expected -- except for the names, of course. Thanks for making me aware of this audio web log.

(Sometimes his frequent disclaiming of heroic stories as obviously fabricated reminds me of this poem, but not un-affectionately =).

If you like the McElroy style of humor I would recommend Stop Podcasting Yourself, they always have a lot of fun in their episodes, riffing on mundane things. Any of the episodes where Paul F. Thompkins is the guest is usually a good entry point.

I'll give that one a try too. I ended up really like The Bugle, International Waters, and Not a Game Podcast. There's some I still haven't gotten to though (I also don't have that job anymore but I still need a wealth of podcasts for life it seems).

Does any one know any good Spanish language casts? I tried finding some decent gaming ones but I literally couldn't find any on iTunes. Considering my comprehension isn't any where near good enough to really appreciate the casts themselves, and I'm just using them as an immersion tool, I don't really mind what the topic is. They just have to be well produced and understandable. If there's any about tech or even just current events let me know!