Erkki

Other podcasts

The F Plus 

Terrible things read with enthusiasm. What does that mean? Well, a panel of 4-5 people read hilarious and or terrible things from the internet, such as wretched fan fiction or crazy mothers talking about anti-vaccine and eating their placentas.

http://thefpl.us/

After making it through all of the Idle Thumbs episodes I decided to give Giant Bombcast a try since it seems to be recommended by a lot of people and so far I have been fairly disappointed. I started from the first episode and have made it through about 6 episodes so far but something about this show just doesn't resonate with me the same way Idle Thumbs has.

I think the problem is that the humor falls really flat for me and feels kind of forced. I appreciate what these guys have to say about games and I can tell they know what they are talking about but something about the cast just comes off as super cheesy. I assume it gets better once they hit their stride so I will keep listening for now but man, Idle Thumbs is the tits!

I actually had the same problem, I did not start from the beginning though. Whenever that was I tried to listen to most recent and just couldn't finish it. The only other game podcast I've been able to listen to regularly is Polygon's The Besties. That podcast ends up being a bit more comedy as it has 2 of the 3 brothers from mbmbam, and the other 2 hosts pull their comedic weight as well. I find the more comedy I expose myself to the more of a snob I become, so when jokes fall flat a lot it's a pretty big turn off.

I hear that. I had the same problem whenever I tried to watch MadTV in the late 90s and early 2000s. I got used to Saturday Night Live's humor and felt like MadTV was the retarded middle school version of sketch comedy.

Especially with podcasts, the banter has to be earned. If the hosts are joking back and forth with each other on episode one, I'm probably going to feel alienated, not titillated. It's been a real obstacle to finding another gaming podcast that works for me like Idle Thumbs does. Even GFW Radio took almost a quarter of its run to click with me.

I hear that. I had the same problem whenever I tried to watch MadTV in the late 90s and early 2000s. I got used to Saturday Night Live's humor and felt like MadTV was the retarded middle school version of sketch comedy.

MadTV was also heavily censored/edited by fox. Hampered a lot of creative people. It's weird seeing some of those actors in other things and thinking "oh crap they're actually funny!" I did that big time the first time I saw a key & peele sketch.

Especially with podcasts, the banter has to be earned. If the hosts are joking back and forth with each other on episode one, I'm probably going to feel alienated, not titillated. It's been a real obstacle to finding another gaming podcast that works for me like Idle Thumbs does. Even GFW Radio took almost a quarter of its run to click with me.

If the jokes are good I'm in it. My problem when I tried giant bomb was just everything fell flat for me. Same goes for the few other gaming casts i've tried. I kinda hate common gamer humor.

MadTV was also heavily censored/edited by fox. Hampered a lot of creative people. It's weird seeing some of those actors in other things and thinking "oh crap they're actually funny!" I did that big time the first time I saw a key & peele sketch.

I really wonder what they censored. I remember the last MadTV show I watched having a sketch about plutonium-powered Christmas lights, with the punchline that a kitten given as a present had been melted into half-dead goo. I never watched MadTV again.

Turns out, broadcasting is a skill! Anyone can have a podcast, but not everyone can make a podcast work.

Yeah, just like every other liberal arts skill, people don't appreciate it unless it's totally beyond their means.

Okay, so, besides Idle Thumbs and the Idle Book Club podcasts, I also listen to...

• ContinueCast - the only other podcast I listen to about video games, described as a video game book club where they dedicate two episodes per month on a video game, encouraging listeners to play it and send in their opinions. Funny, and hosted by the guys who do a youtube show called "Continue?" .
  • This American Life - interesting stories, I find it to be a better podcast to listen to when I feel like something serious.
  • Left Handed Radio - mostly audio-based sketch comedy episodes. Also some funny fake sequel movie script episodes. Its good, but I dont really have anything else to say about it.
  • The Complete Guide to Everything - by far my favorite podcast (sorry Thumbs), the hosts Tom and Tim talk about anything and everything, They really work well together, and it was the podcast that really got me hooked on the medium.
  • The Tuesday Club - A podcast about the Arsenal football club. I don't have much of an interest in the sport, to be totally honest, I mostly listen to this because I enjoy the accents... its just soothing noise to have while I fall asleep.

I really wonder what they censored. I remember the last MadTV show I watched having a sketch about plutonium-powered Christmas lights, with the punchline that a kitten given as a present had been melted into half-dead goo. I never watched MadTV again.

Yeah, just like every other liberal arts skill, people don't appreciate it unless it's totally beyond their means.

I think it was the Bullseye interview with key and peele that talked a bit about the the weird mad tv approval stuff. Think they've talked about it a few times

I think I got a really good episode of Comedy Bang Bang because the most recent episodes have involved the host and a guest interviewing some character and being dreadfully amused by their own cleverness. MBMBAM is still working for me, though.

They do that a lot, it's the nature of cbb. Can be hit or miss. This weeks was alright, last week wasnt very good though

Has MBMBAM picked back up again? I noticed this crazy dip in quality somewhere around episode 125 where every episode was about 15% them talking about what a weird episode this was and how they were sure they hadn't said anything funny. The next handful of episodes just got more and more self-deprecating and slow until I stopped listening. It felt like they just didn't like doing the podcast anymore.

That still happens, which is totally fine with me, I enjoy bizarre humor. That said they did seem to be on a slow streak for a bit, had some solid episodes though

Speaking of Mad TV, Brian Callen's podcast is pretty not bad (sort of Joe Rogan-y so YMMV) and Will Sasso is single-handedly justifying the existence of Vine.

Reviving this just to see if any thumbs have a really good, conversational style podcast about music. A lot of the ones I've found are radio sponsored and often just have music breaks and reviews, but I'd wonder if there were any podcasts centered around longer, opinionated discussions about new albums or artists in general.

So yeah, essentially Idle Ears, if it exists.

We should thank the internet lord (Steve Jubs?!) that podcasts are a thing, because they exposed me to James Adomian. What a wonderful, strange man.

I pretty much used to listen to any gaming website that did any kind of podcast. I've since refined my tastes a bit and become a wee bit more selective. I practically only listen to gaming ones apart from Coffee Break German/Spanish which are 15-20 minute language learning podcasts, and I think they do a French and possibly an Italian one too. 

Gaming podcasts include Giant Bombcast, Podcast Beyond, Gamers With Jobs and PC Gamer UK. Previous posters say they don't really like the Giant Bombcast but I really get the sense that these guys really love working together, and when they get into their little skits I can't help but laugh out loud (lol, one might even say). I do however still have trouble determining who is talking sometimes, as is the case initially with most American podcasts I listen to.

I wouldn't normally feel the need to defend my love for Podcast Beyond, but this site is less than favourable to anything IGN related. They basically filled the gap when the Thumbs left my life for a while and Colin, Gregg and Andrew have now become another podcast I feel a part of. 

I basically listen to the PC Gamer UK podcast out of patriotic duty to the Queen and our great nation, but mainly the Queen. 

I used to listen to the Destructoid podcast too but it just became insufferably awkward and ridiculous I just had to give it up. Jim Sterling just doesn't work for me. 

Despite not having any interest in ancient history, I'm really loving the History if Rome podcast. I Amy pick up that coffee break german one!

I decided to continue listening to the Giant Bombcast from where I previously lost interest (about 5 episodes in or so) and now that I've heard some more, I feel like I didn't really give it a fair shake. I've made it through several more episodes now and it has grown on me considerably. I don't feel that it quite matches the humor and wit of Idle Thumbs but I can definitely tell that these are some good dudes that have an intelligent perspective on video games. The only (minor) complaint I have is that I still don't find it all that funny, but that's okay because I'm not very funny either even though I try to be sometimes.

I think I am going to go ahead and listen to all of the episodes. I'm pretty excited but sad at the same time for obvious reasons. 

Whoever it was that recommended My Brother, My Brother And Me I have one thing to say to you. Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you. It's fucking genius, I've been listening to it constantly for about a week now and I'm already back down to episode 100, and I have no plans on stopping before I reach episode 1. I've been working in some pretty precarious places recently, like high up on ladders or home made scaffolding, and the Brothers Three have just made it even more dangerous as I almost cry with laughter trying not to fall to my death. 

Zeus, I think Giant Bomb just has fantastic chemistry, and I personally think it's incredibly funny. Although, I have listened to the memorial episode I just can't seem to bring my self to listen to their latest episode. I just feel sad any time I think about even trying to listen to it. 

Mbmbam is the best if you want a dirty laugh.