Erkki

Other podcasts

As someone who is into music and sound design for the past couple weeks I've been listening to two podcasts a lot.

Game Audio Podcast is a podcast on exactly what it sounds like. It's hosted by Anton Woldhek from Guerrilla Games and Damian Kastbauer who has done freelance work on a lot of big games like Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2. They usually get a few guests each week from other companies like Media Molecule, DICE, and Valve. They've had my two favorite audio people in the industry on the podcast, Darren Korb and Emily Ridgway. On one episode of the podcast Damian mentioned that he had moved to Minnesota and that Minnesota Public Radio had a station on classical music which hosted the next podcast.

Top Score with Emily Reese is a super cool podcast where Emily Reese gets the composers of music for games to come one and talk about such things. I've only listened to the first few episodes but they were all super cool. The first one was the guy who did the music for Dragon Age and Fallout New Vegas, the next one was with the guys who did the audio and music for Stacking, then she did a cool talk with the guy who did the music from Dead Space, and the last one I've listened to was the guy who did the music in Bioshock 1 & 2 (and more importantly Dante's Inferno.)

I mostly listen to IGN's podcasts. With the exceptions of keepin' it reel, the comic one, surfin' the channels, and the Aussie one. Rooster Teeth's drunkcast always manages to make me smile. The rise star of it all is the Playstation Blogcast, for a podcast it's super informative and the fact that they work for Playstation means they seem to get exclusive info and quite a few interviews, at least around convention time. They had a great Dust 514 interview in the most recent episode.

BEYOND!!!

resurrecting this thread just to point out that Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is published by... WIZZARD MEDIA

my podcast library is so huge now. thanks for all the recommends.

resurrecting this thread just to point out that Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is published by... WIZZARD MEDIA

my podcast library is so huge now. thanks for all the recommends.

So are we now, technically. Wizzard Media is the company that runs Libsyn, effectively a content host that focuses exclusively on podcasts. You can also use Libsyn to host your actual podcast archive pages and stuff like that (which Three Moves Ahead does, at least until our new website is done), but we just use it for hosting. Previously we were using Amazon S3, which just got too

expensive.

Also, thanks for the thread resurrection! I had no idea Carlin released new episodes recently. I had assumed he gave up.

Anyway: Wizzard.

Also, thanks for the thread resurrection! I had no idea Carlin released new episodes recently. I had assumed he gave up.

Is it worth it slogging through the Hardcore History archives? When I was on the lookout for easy ways to freshen up my knowledge before doctoral exams, I found myself really taken with his series on the fall of the Roman Republic, even if he was a bit too fond of making up analogies on the fly, but his four-hour discussion of the Dark Ages was insufferably bad, packed full of the misleading chestnuts that I spend most of my time with new students disabusing.

I've been toying with giving his new episodes on the Mongols a listen, but I'd really like someone else's opinion on the quality of his research and presentation.

I've really been enjoying The Memory Palace since Maximum Fun picked it up last month. It's a monthly podcast of maybe 10 minutes tops, where each episode is basically just a telling of some sort of story from history, but the host is a great storyteller:

http://thememorypalace.us/

As part of the joining with Maximum Fun, they put together a compilation of three episodes that's a decent start: http://thememorypalace.us/2012/07/re-up/ (all three combined are about 19 minutes)

i'm proselytising a little here about adam curtis but this is a really interesting - if a little disjointed - interview:

http://shiftrunstop.co.uk/2009/12/31/episode-7-new-years-special-adam-curtis-and-avery-edison/

at 46.15 he starts talking about games being mired in nostalgia. what he calls 'content' is probably not as relevant to video games as he would like to think but it's an interesting point. the interviewer guy tries to counter the point and fails kind of miserably, but i would think someone here would have a better idea of a game with radically new content that isn't mechanical? originally i considered cyberpunk stuff like watch dogs but even that (gibson's neuromancer) is an 80s idea.

Is it worth it slogging through the Hardcore History archives? When I was on the lookout for easy ways to freshen up my knowledge before doctoral exams, I found myself really taken with his series on the fall of the Roman Republic, even if he was a bit too fond of making up analogies on the fly, but his four-hour discussion of the Dark Ages was insufferably bad, packed full of the misleading chestnuts that I spend most of my time with new students disabusing.

I've been toying with giving his new episodes on the Mongols a listen, but I'd really like someone else's opinion on the quality of his research and presentation.

Rome is his first love, so it's not surprising to me that those episodes would end up better. I really enjoy the series, but I'm speaking from the perspective of a non-historian.

Rome is his first love, so it's not surprising to me that those episodes would end up better. I really enjoy the series, but I'm speaking from the perspective of a non-historian.

I have pretty much listened to every episode of Hardcore History, as I also am not a historian I can't give you any help on how well done the research is. But I could give you some directions to the according to me really great episodes.

Ghosts of the Ostfront- A multiple episode series about the eastern front of Germany during WW2. This series really chilled me to the bone, even though I live in Sweden the education you receive about atrocities that occurred just a few hours away from me is minimal, the rape of Prussia and the mass killings of russians so that the germans could take the land for themselves after the war for example. Just in general how close it really was that Germany defeated Soviet Russia. And had they done so nothing would have stopped them, 95% of all german casualties happened on the eastern front.

Fall of Ninevah- An episode about the fall of the Syrian empire and especially the city of Ninevah. Again something that I had no idea about, he does make some good points about how every civilization thinks it's gonna last forever. The Assyrians sure did so.

Punic Nightmares- A detailed walkthrough of the three punic wars between Carthage and Rome. It was these wars that would cement the rise of the roman empire as the main power of the Mediterranean as after the destruction of Carthage during the third war there was no other power left to really confront them. Follows the same style as the fall of rome series and I would think is as accurate as it needs to be, needs to be taken in account that the people writing this down was probably trying to shine a positive light on Rome, even though the third war was just them mass murdering all remaining citizens of Carthage so that they never would threaten Rome again.

The new series about the mongols is also definitely worth a shot. Still as I am not an historian but just interested in history I can not tell you anything about the accuracy of facts but nonetheless it has been very interesting so far. Had no idea about the happenings of the mongol invasion of the muslim world for example.

Hah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm some crazy stickler for facts. It's more that I felt Carlin's penchant for melodrama sometimes tempts him to play up certain elements (like catastrophe) over others (like continuity), which bothers me because it's a weakness I struggle with myself.

I'll give the "Punic Nightmares" series a listen. If anything's going to allay my misgivings, it's Rome. Thanks, guys.

The three podcasts I listen to are: Idle Thumbs, Giant Bomb, and State of the Game. You guys probably know all about the first two, SotG is about the StarCraft 2 scene, from balance to tournaments to everything else. I sometimes listen to slices of other podcasts when they're on about subjects I'm interested in, for example the episode of Three Moves Ahead with Slasher about esports and the one with Brendon Chung as a guest.

So I finished listening to The History of Rome podcast, which I picked up when trying to supplement Dan Carlin. I have to say, for all that I found Mike Duncan's presentation a little lackluster, I'm still impressed at the fluency and self-assurance his detailed survey of the Republic and Empire bequeathed to me. Even things I'd normally complain about, like devoting almost a dozen podcasts to the Barracks Emperors and the Crisis of the Third Century, ended up benefiting me just because no one's ever bothered to cover the events in any great depth.

I can't recommend this podcast enough. Anyone who wants an encyclopedic take on the history of Rome and doesn't mind a somewhat homespun approach is strongly encouraged to check a few episodes out.

Cool stuff from the Thumbs on the Tested Oktoberkast.

It was a great segment! And if that wasn't enough, Vinny Caravella popped in after the Idle Thumbs folk. That mad libs was quite something.

This year's Octoberkast was pretty good. I was happy to see Adam Savage stop by.

I'll second or 15th or whatever for the Giant Bombcast, not an intellectual podcast, but the personalities at Giant Bomb are great, with the arguable exception of Patrick Klepeck (i'm not a fan). Almost always a fun listen though. Ask me anything about my opinions of the GB crew (imo patrick is the worst, Brad is passable, everyone else is p good/ has their place. Jeff & Vinny are the best though).

e: oh yeah, just started listening to the octoberkast. Plan to listen to most of it, eventually (like last year ill skip the tedious mid night hours). I run/commute enough to consume most of it eventually. Having such prestigious guests as Idle Thumbs, Brad Muir, and most of Giant Bomb makes it extra attractive.

Brad is actually my favourite. Liked that guy a lot since the Gamespot days. Patrick's ok, but it bothers me when he says stuff like "obstensively" (when he means "ostensibly"). He does that with a bunch of words, but "obstensively" can be counted on at least once a Bombcast. Still, in general I appreciate what he brings to the mix. Never really followed Tested, so thanks for the video heads up. I'll be checking that out sometime over the next few days.

It was a great segment! And if that wasn't enough, Vinny Caravella popped in after the Idle Thumbs folk. That mad libs was quite something.

This year's Octoberkast was pretty good. I was happy to see Adam Savage stop by.

Man, what do they mean no one read the article alongside the magazine ad? I totally read the heck out of that.

(true, however, that I didn't fact check any of it and just assumed the non Goldblum details were made up)

Is Brad the one who gets reeeeally self-conscious in the Kinect demos?

Brad is the guy from Carolina. He's a blond guy with a deeper voice. I've just always liked him, and I don't really have a good reason to. He just seems like a genuinely nice guy that I would hang with given the chance, and the times when you can hear his brain working trying to come up with a forced pun that never fails to fall completely flat make me think we'd have a similar (completely lame) sense of humour.