Erkki

Other podcasts

I thought I'd recommended this already, but it appears not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/

It runs daily, but only for some months in 2010. Really short chunks of history, nicely written and presented. Each is about 15 minutes long, which is ideal for me as I tend to only have 20 minute or so chunks where I can pay attention to podcasts.

I have been listening to A Life Well Wasted (finally) and the Rock Paper Shotgun show and I am liking them both, especially ALWW. One of the best produced shows I've heard, though I'm sure people have already said that in this thread.

If you like the production of A Life Well Wasted, you should check out This American Life (unless you only care about video game-related topics).

Anybody who likes movies should listen to Behind The Screened Door, a podcast from Screened.com, which is the newest Whiskey Media site (Giant Bomb).

Ok, this is amazing, an online friend of mine turned me onto My Brother, My Brother, and My Brother podcast, It's the Mcaleroy brothers, one of them I think worked for n4g and has been a guest on some other gaming podcasts, it's not even gaming related, but what's so brilliant is they just take random questions from every kind of source. Email, blog comments, and the best, they pull random Yahoo answers questions and answer those like they were directed at them!

It's really hard to explain why its so funny, but just listen to the most recent episode, and see if it's your thing. their voices are a little annoying, but you can get past it quickly.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/id367330921

Ok, this is amazing, an online friend of mine turned me onto My Brother, My Brother, and My Brother podcast, It's the Mcaleroy brothers, one of them I think worked for n4g and has been a guest on some other gaming podcasts, it's not even gaming related, but what's so brilliant is they just take random questions from every kind of source. Email, blog comments, and the best, they pull random Yahoo answers questions and answer those like they were directed at them!

It's really hard to explain why its so funny, but just listen to the most recent episode, and see if it's your thing. their voices are a little annoying, but you can get past it quickly.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/id367330921

2 of them work for Joystiq, and Justin is on that show every week.

MBMBaM is a lot of fun. Their father is a radio host so, they've all got natural comedy and public speaking skills.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - a new one that I came upon per Shawn Andrich's recommendation, pretty captivating conversation about history. He talks in a way very much like that one professor who's really enthusiastic and excited about the subject he teaches at university.

Reporters' Roundtable - pretty interesting tech podcast put out by cnet that takes one big picture topic per week, puts it in the crosshairs, roots out some experts on the topic, and talks the nitty gritty with detail and insight.

If you like the production of A Life Well Wasted, you should check out This American Life (unless you only care about video game-related topics).

Anybody who likes movies should listen to Behind The Screened Door, a podcast from Screened.com, which is the newest Whiskey Media site (Giant Bomb).

Do you not think he overdoes it a lot? Sometimes i want to reach into my ipod and throttle him for scratching some stupid sample instead of letting me listen to his awesome interviews.

I'm not an avid listener of Shift Run Stop, but put this one with Adam Curtis on while I was biking back from work last night. He's an interesting man with some quite negative things to say about games, but it came over to me as not so much an ideologically anti-games passion as interest in things even if they're perceived as negative.

Ken Levine & Shawn Elliott interview Todd Howard from Bethesda.

http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews-pilot/

Apparently a pilot episode for a series of informal talks with game designers. This first one is really good, so I hope they continue doing more.

[edit] Also, this isn't gaming related at all. But if you like listening to lectures, MIT has an open courseware program where they host audio/video recordings of their classes. Depending on how lively the professor is they can be great little podcasts on their own. I really recommend the Intro to Psych audio lectures.

Edited by spindrift

heh, on Weekend confirmed this week GArnett mentioned Nick Breckon for an anecdote about a strategy game they talked about over twitter.

Weekend Confirmed is a really solid podcast. There was a lot of talk after Shane left, 1up Yours lacked a foil for Garnett. And I really think Jeff and Brian bring out the best in him.

Weekend Confirmed is a really solid podcast. There was a lot of talk after Shane left, 1up Yours lacked a foil for Garnett. And I really think Jeff and Brian bring out the best in him.

And anyways, Shane is totally on the newest one!

Ken Levine & Shawn Elliott interview Todd Howard from Bethesda.

http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews-pilot/

Apparently a pilot episode for a series of informal talks with game designers. This first one is really good, so I hope they continue doing more.

Thanks for this man. I started listening to it earlier today and although the rim-licking was a little off-putting at times, it soon settled down and became a really fascinating, very well done show.

/approved

We're at this awkward stage in studio podcast development. They know they should be out there and engaging their audience, but everyone's still forced to be a company man and be sure not to say anything negative about the competition. Jeff Green's a great podcast host, but it'll be a while before EA's podcast draws a more candid conversation with developers. It's great to see Shawn Elliott's influence at Irrational, but given his normal presence you know he's been told to keep it restricted. He'll publicly post some of the most vile things on the internet in his Twitter feed, but he's not allowed to comment at all about other developers.

I wonder if this civility will last forever, or if it will become more like the Film world and we'll see a return to the drama from personalities like John Romero and Mike Wilson.

My Brother, My Brother, and Me podcast

As a testiment to this podcast I am the person who sent in the question at the end of episode 19! :tup:

As a testiment to this podcast I am the person who sent in the question at the end of episode 19! :tup:

Good, but it's no "What's the difference between anorexic and balsamic?" To be fair though, I don't know if that question can be topped.

Good, but it's no "What's the difference between anorexic and balsamic?" To be fair though, I don't know if that question can be topped.

True, that question is a high bar to be sure.

Do you want to hear Nick Breckon inside of a podcast again? Look no further.

(There's already him saying "You heard it here first, video game DLC confirmed," with a hint of snark, within the first 3 minutes.)

Do you want to hear Nick Breckon inside of a podcast again? Look no further.

(There's already him saying "You heard it here first, video game DLC confirmed," with a hint of snark, within the first 3 minutes.)

just in time

The PC Gamer UK podcast is really good, but I've been negligent and not plugged it. The latest episode is 'The Wizard-Wizard-Wizard Formation', so that is probably a sign.

Note that you specifically want the UK version. I've listened to 15 minutes of the US version, and it sounded like they had cloned the Simpsons Teen a few times, then told them to make a podcast.

I'm sure the podcast has been mentioned here before, and quality of episodes can vary, but the retro episode of the GWJ conference call is amazing:

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/106591

Games featured:

Half-Life, Thief: The Dark Project, Everquest Beta, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Baldur's Gate