Erkki

Other podcasts

After going through the Hardcore History podcast I tried Dan Carlin's other podcast; Common Sense with Dan Carlin, It's like Hardcore History but about politics and current events. I found it quite enjoyable. However whether you like it will probably depend on your political viewpoint, and since Carlin's politics bypass the typical right/left divide I have no easy means of summing up what his opinion is. If you're interested in politics give it a listen, you may not like what you hear but at least it'll be interesting.

I keep trying to listen to common sense but turn it off before the intro is through. This is not because I don't think it will be good, but rather because I don't want planet of the apes C. Heston to turn out to be the same as nra Pres. C. Heston. And because I'm a big baby who can't deal with nuance in my podcast hosts.

For the CastMedium podcast, we actually use Skype to communicate buy Audacity/Garageband to record locally. That way, we can clean up each recording and isolate particularly bad sections to edit out. It sometimes sounds a little bit edited together, but I'd take a little more artificial sounding rather than really scratchy/lossy sounding.

Out of curiosity do you guys mix them individually or all at once? Wrestle if you are up for this then I certainly would also be interested in participating. possibly a few trial 'casts would be a good start, I reckon.

Out of curiosity do you guys mix them individually or all at once? Wrestle if you are up for this then I certainly would also be interested in participating. possibly a few trial 'casts would be a good start, I reckon.

I can't give you the details because I don't have them; our host Jonathan Downin does all the editing work. He detailed some of the options in this feature, which he hopes to continue with the setups of other popular podcasts:

http://www.castmedium.com/2009/11/19/casting-gear-001-castmedium-podcast/

If you'd like more granular details, I'm sure you could contact him on Twitter, through the comments, or through the email listed on our contact page.

possibly a few trial 'casts would be a good start, I reckon.

Yeah, maybe a one or two trial runs that don't necessarily make it out into the wider world.

Hell, if you guys are looking for veteran thumbs, I'd be game for a go. Dunno how much I'd have to contribute, but what the hell, why not?

Hell, if you guys are looking for veteran thumbs, I'd be game for a go. Dunno how much I'd have to contribute, but what the hell, why not?

If you guys are looking for newbie thumbs, I'd be video game for a go too!

I keep trying to listen to common sense but turn it off before the intro is through. This is not because I don't think it will be good, but rather because I don't want planet of the apes C. Heston to turn out to be the same as nra Pres. C. Heston. And because I'm a big baby who can't deal with nuance in my podcast hosts.

skip the intro, but turn that podcast back on Dan Carlin shits gold. His history stuff I enjoy more so then the political stuff but both are amazing.

I can't give you the details because I don't have them; our host Jonathan Downin does all the editing work. He detailed some of the options in this feature, which he hopes to continue with the setups of other popular podcasts:

http://www.castmedium.com/2009/11/19/casting-gear-001-castmedium-podcast/

If you'd like more granular details, I'm sure you could contact him on Twitter, through the comments, or through the email listed on our contact page.

Seems about right to me. Ideally I should have a nicer mic than I currently do, which should be rectified reasonably soon.

Seems about right to me. Ideally I should have a nicer mic than I currently do, which should be rectified reasonably soon.

I will never have anything better than my laptop's internal mic.

If you're interested in film, Filmspotting is the best podcast I've heard out there. They discuss current releases, big releases and indies, and frequently pick overlooked classics out of the backlog. They clock in most weeks at around a meaty 90 minutes and they often do extra "After Hours" casts as well. And they have pro sound quality.

Other than that, I'd second the SModcast recommendation for humorous background casting material. The quality has been more hit-and-miss lately, but they have a 100+ episode backlog.

Been thinking about the podcast idea a lot since suggesting it, but have been struggling to come up with compelling topics. But I think I've finally got a good one.

I like the idea of doing some dry runs first, see if they'll be any good or not. Over Skype should be fine, with local recording maybe as well if fidelity is an issue. We could then each chuck our local, higher quality recordings into my Dropbox for free (you have to pay for Ventrilo I believe) and I could edit them together.

Let's talk some more about this during Grand Thumb Auto this Tuesday. Anyone interested who can't make it to GTA this week?

Been thinking about the podcast idea a lot since suggesting it, but have been struggling to come up with compelling topics. But I think I've finally got a good one.

I like the idea of doing some dry runs first, see if they'll be any good or not. Over Skype should be fine, with local recording maybe as well if fidelity is an issue. We could then each chuck our local, higher quality recordings into my Dropbox for free (you have to pay for Ventrilo I believe) and I could edit them together.

Let's talk some more about this during Grand Thumb Auto this Tuesday. Anyone interested who can't make it to GTA this week?

Great, it would make sense to PM the topic to those wanting to participate.

Great, it would make sense to PM the topic to those wanting to participate.

I'll talk about that on Tuesday, otherwise we'll end up discussing the topic instead of the podcast (if you get me).

You guys better be as good and regular and hilarious as Idle Thumbs: The Official Podcast. If not I will cry.

I imagine the first episode will go something like this: WizaaaaAAaaaaAaaaaAAARD, the WizA-A-A-Aaard. Far Cry 2. The Wizard. Wizard. Video games. The Wizard.

You guys better be as good and regular and hilarious as Idle Thumbs: The Official Podcast. If not I will cry.

I imagine the first episode will go something like this: WizaaaaAAaaaaAaaaaAAARD, the WizA-A-A-Aaard. Far Cry 2. The Wizard. Wizard. Video games. The Wizard.

You're assuming it'll actually happen, or that our first effort won't be so buttock-clenchingly uncomfortable that we actually release it into the wild... :shifty:

I'm assuming that it's much harder than it looks, and if I end up being a part of a thing it will probably be terrible. That said, if we want people to say a thing, I can say a thing.

As a relative newbie to the community, I don't know how well I'd fit into a podcast, but I'd be interested to try it out nonetheless if I'm wanted. Either way, I'll try to make it to GTT on Tuesday.

That said, if we want people to say a thing, I can say a thing.

Can it be "donkey cock" please? We need to establish our own memes. :hah:

I'm assuming that it's much harder than it looks, and if I end up being a part of a thing it will probably be terrible. That said, if we want people to say a thing, I can say a thing.

It's like Jake 2.0!

I made some podcasts with a guy (plus guests) I know online from about October last year to March-ish this year with some sporadic ones since then, but it was actually surprisingly easy. I found that a consistent core team was important, after a couple of episodes - even over Skype - it becomes way more natural than you'd expect.

Can it be "donkey cock" please? We need to establish our own memes. :hah:

On that note, memes more often than not irritate the hell out of me. If this happens, can we please try to avoid stuff about wizards, boosting, or the like? I actually like things like "seg" as they are more like legitimate additions to the vernacular than memes in themselves. Much like "abilitease" from Giant Bomb. It's a word that has use and isn't just exploited for a cheap laugh now and again. That's not to say that an in-joke that we come up with would be bad, but using other people's in-jokes always feels weird to me.

Anyway, that's just me. Feel free to ignore me if you find these things as funny as all that. The very fact that things become memes speaks to the fact that other people don't get tired of them nearly as quickly as myself.

Using other people's in-jokes always feels weird to me.

Oh sure, wasn't suggesting a rip-off or lazy adoption.

Wasn't really suggesting much of anything to be honest--set expectations for our first stab at a community podcast. :grin:

I want to participate in the cast, but I've sworn off grand thumb after my first attempt to join in was a mega-bummer. Can somebody give me a quick PM run-down after y'all discuss it, please? Patters, if you're in on that, I'll catch you on XBL and maybe you can fill me in?

I guess, also, I'll have to learn to use skype.

Sorry I didn't make it last night.

I found my car had been hit while I was in work some time yesterday, with no details left by the person that did it. So I spent half an hour in the local police station reporting it just before Grand Thumb Auto was due to start.

Understandably, I wasn't really in the mood for crashing cars after that... :(

In respect for your experience and situation, we abstained from colliding cars whilst playing last night.