Erkki

Other podcasts

I'd suggest taking it slow with ALWW, Ashley only releases an episode every few weeks, if not months, and there's only been a handful of episodes so far. It took me several months to listen to the tiny catalogue because it's just so damn good, I only allowed myself to listen to one every couple of weeks.

Noted, thanks. I only have an hour or so every day to listen to podcasts, so that'll naturally throttle my consumption of them--especially as the newer stuff I'm already up-to-date on takes priority (in the interest of remaining topical).

I'd suggest taking it slow with ALWW, Ashley only releases an episode every few weeks, if not months, and there's only been a handful of episodes so far. It took me several months to listen to the tiny catalogue because it's just so damn good, I only allowed myself to listen to one every couple of weeks.

Still waiting on the release of the Why Game? poster...

I listened to all but one on a train journey. It was worth it.

Having skimmed this thread yesterday, I really liked the sound of A Life Well Wasted. And I'm glad it caught my attention because I listened to the latest instalment on my drive into work this morning and was amazed.

It's brilliant, from the people interviewed to the themes covered to the quality of the music and general production. Really, first class stuff. Made me think of the sort of radio documentaries people like the BBC put out, it's that well considered and produced.

I'm downloading all the other episodes to listen to in due course now--can't wait!

I was similarly amazed. I love documentaries about games and technology, and I found myself wishing there was video to go along with it.

I was similarly amazed. I love documentaries about games and technology, and I found myself wishing there was video to go along with it.

I don't know, I kind of like the slightly different and perhaps ambiguous air that a well-produced radio programme can have.

I don't know, I kind of like the slightly different and perhaps ambiguous air that a well-produced radio programme can have.

Agreed--there's a definite charm that you simply don't get with other media.

For me, it comes from imagining what these people look like (if I'm not aware of them already) and how what they've done might have looked as they're describing it.

I got around to listening to a lot of Hollywood Saloon a while ago after your recommendation. They've not put anything new out for aaages though... ;(

Eh? They released a new episode last night... plus their archives don't really age and there's TONS of stuff to listen to there.

Edit: Ah, for some reason I thought you'd just posted that... My bad. Also: Hey! There's a new episode out!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Perhaps they could combine the two podcasts and call it Thumb Up Yours?

While I like the name, I pray that never happens, Garnett was why I stopped listening to 1upYours.

Still waiting on the release of the Why Game? poster...

A Life Well Wasted - Has there only been 4 episodes so far? I'm looking at the site and only see 4 episodes. Also took up Chris' suggestion to listen to Hardcore History, awesome.

A Life Well Wasted - Has there only been 4 episodes so far? I'm looking at the site and only see 4 episodes. Also took up Chris' suggestion to listen to Hardcore History, awesome.

4 episodes and 2 B-sides.

4 episodes and 2 B-sides.

Whereas the Hollywood Saloon has 38 "standard" episodes (of at least an hour each, often much longer), 12 "special editions" (which tend to be in-depth movie reviews, at least an hour) and 12 "shots" (which are 30 minute mini-episodes/rants on a given subject - and what they tend to be releasing at the moment - three new episodes just this week).

Feed: http://www.hollywoodsaloon.com/podcast/hollywoodsaloon.xml

(Ok, ok. I guess you've all got the message now :getmecoat I promise I'll shut up.)

If you like some of the music Remo pops into the podcast, and are a fan of music in general, you might be interested in checking out the Metafilter Music podcast (marked with an "M" on this page).

There's backstory (Metafilter has a Music subforum, and the mod picks out some stunning posts for the podcast) and because it's based on a community there may be some insular aspects, but there's some good noises in it.

Edited by subbes
frickin' HTML

While I like the name, I pray that never happens, Garnett was why I stopped listening to 1upYours.

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy, but something about him drives me up the wall. A lot of the current 1Up guys are pretty infuriating to me, in fact. Perhaps it's a sign that I was listening to people talking about computer games too much. Although the main thing that pissed me off about Geekbox was the TV talk. They seemed to really like some fairly dumb stuff.

Perhaps they could combine the two podcasts and call it Thumb Up Yours?

While I did enjoy listening to some of the 1up people, I tend to prefer it when then podcasts I listen to are shorter than Dr. Zhivago.

For non-gaming podcasts, I'd recommend the following:

Engadget Podcast - all that is tech and gadgets

This American Life - ok, it's technically an NPR show, but excellent nonetheless

Gaming:

Out of the Game

A Life Well Wasted

I do listen to some others like rockpapershotgun, brainygamer, rebelfm, gamerwithjobs, & giantbomb, one life left, but the two above (plus Idle Thumbs) are the ones I really dig.

If do you go digging in the giantbomb podcast archives, there's one episode where they eat weird Swedish candy which is utterly hilarious.

One Life Left is a radio show that often features VG related music like the doyouinverts. who are cool.

Just started listening to the drunk tank (rooster teeth, the guys who made red vs blue), it's pretty cool.

If do you go digging in the giantbomb podcast archives, there's one episode where they eat weird Swedish candy which is utterly hilarious.

Haha, the one with the Grin guys was great. The puck one sounds hilarious.

I guess I should start listening to the Bombcast properly again now that I'll have a Thumb shaped hole in my life.

I know that Gamer's with Jobs has been mentionned, I mention it again because 2-3 episodes ago they had idle thumb C.Remo on discussing Subject-Zero and this week they had John Davidson discussing what happened with his site What They Play and his move to Gamepro. Just a heads up!

I know that Gamer's with Jobs has been mentionned, I mention it again because 2-3 episodes ago they had idle thumb C.Remo on discussing Subject-Zero and this week they had John Davidson discussing what happened with his site What They Play and his move to Gamepro. Just a heads up!
This week they also read an email where some guy was complaining that Chris swears a lot and other stuff about Subject Zero, was pretty funny.

I guess I should start listening to the Bombcast properly again now that I'll have a Thumb shaped hole in my life.

That's my recourse, as well. It's really pretty good. I could see myself being ok with that as my primary gaming podcast. It kind of scratches a different itch than Idle Thumbs, but it's good stuff. I imagine it gets better the more you get used to the guys (like thumbs did).

I listened to both regularly. Like, as they came out. Now I'm starting on Gamers With Jobs as my Thumbstitute, preparing myself in advance for a few weeks from now. I've had a few friends recommend it in the past, and figured with an impending hole in my weekly podcast download (currently the Bugle on Sunday, Bombcast on Tuesday, and Thumbs on Wednesday) I'll have room for it. It's not anywhere near as good, but it'll do. Just lacks that spontaneity. I get the feeling that if thumbs tried teleconferencing and took themselves more seriously, this is what it would sound like. Unfortunately, the ability to mock anything and everything and the immediacy of being in the same room are part of what makes thumbs so special, so it can't quite fill the void. Still good though. I may also try RPS for some PC gaming love, as the past few months (and recent purchase of a very good gaming laptop) have got me more into PC gaming than I have been for about 4 years. It's been nice to have some recommendations for that, and the fact that games are cheaper on PC makes me feel like I'm saving money when I play a PC game, which is a good feeling for a student.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Bugle except for my little parenthetical aside here. I highly recommend it. It's John Oliver (of the Daily Show) and Andy Zaltzman doing a weekly podcast for the Times Online, basically taking the piss out of whatever was newsworthy over the past week. Of particular note is their recent utterly hilarious coverage of general Gaddafi's speech to the UN a few weeks back. I think I heard about it from someone on the forum, (not being in England, not really sure where else I would have heard about it) but maybe not in this thread. I'll just throw it in here for posterity's sake. Seriously, I'm routinely doubled over laughing Monday morning waiting for my bus to class, which is the best time to be doubled over laughing.

EDIT EDIT: Dammit, it was Tabacco only a page previously. Oh well. Recommendation seconded.

Edited by miffy495

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Bugle except for my little parenthetical aside here. I highly recommend it. It's John Oliver (of the Daily Show) and Andy Zaltzman doing a weekly podcast for the Times Online, basically taking the piss out of whatever was newsworthy over the past week. Of particular note is their recent utterly hilarious coverage of general Gaddafi's speech to the UN a few weeks back. I think I heard about it from someone on the forum, (not being in England, not really sure where else I would have heard about it) but maybe not in this thread. I'll just throw it in here for posterity's sake. Seriously, I'm routinely doubled over laughing Monday morning waiting for my bus to class, which is the best time to be doubled over laughing.

I've been meaning to start listening to that for a year now.

I'll have to check some of the podcasts mentioned here. I'm new to these and so far I've only followed Invisible Walls and Epic Battle Cry. They are awesome, imo, especially EBA. One of the guys on it actually referred me to IdleThumbs few days ago.