Erkki

Other podcasts

That's a cool image, but I think you may have accidentally clicked on the podcast thread rather than the Wizard thread.

Nope, this is the thread where Olly Moss is being talked about so here is wher I post :@

Speaking of, the Bungie Studios podcast doesn't release new episodes frquently or regularly, but it's a good listen when it happens.

Going to have to second this.

Among none Video game podcasts one of my favorites is Tek Diff it's a sketch comedy podcast, all recorded by one guy doing a lot of different voices. Lately its been on a pretty slow update schedule, but there's a huge backlog of older shows that're all pretty solid.

Especially of note are the episodes labeled 'the Account' which is an on going serial of the adventures of Hanover Phillips, knight of the Metadyne corporation, and his search to uncover the origins of Ave Nova, a parasitic corporate entity that is slowly taking over Metadyne.

Since I have a 30 minute walk to work (1hr every day) along with a lenient boss I tend to have a few podcasts that fit into my schedule quite nicely. Games-wise I grab the Bombcast, Drunken Gamers Radio and A Life Well Wasted every week. I've checked out others (RebelFM, 1up, 3 Red Lights, etc) but ended up bumping them out of rotation in favor of more interesting non-gaming 'casts.

Like Chris and spindrift I really enjoy Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, and despite it just being two dudes talking shit, Uhh Yeah Dude is pretty much the best thing ever. If you'd like a good laugh and a huge backlog of episodes to wade through you can do no better than UYD. The chemistry between these two guys is more refreshing and consistently entertaining than pretty much any other show I've heard.

As I've previously mentioned many many times: The Hollywood Saloon (movie podcast) is the best podcast in the history of podcasts... BUT! They're also doing a thing called "Saloon Shots" at the moment which are precisely 30 minute episodes. They're a little more informal and more ranty than their usual episodes (although not really that ranty), and they're still very good.

As I've previously mentioned many many times: The Hollywood Saloon (movie podcast) is the best podcast in the history of podcasts... BUT! They're also doing a thing called "Saloon Shots" at the moment which are precisely 30 minute episodes. They're a little more informal and more ranty than their usual episodes (although not really that ranty), and they're still very good.

Those guys are great. Especially when they do masterclass episodes. They really take a lot of time to prepare and do a solid post-production polish and their excitement is infectious. In fact, I've never heard men of their age get so unabashedly enthused before (maybe because I've never been to Comic Con). They are heavy on genre-fiction fanboy stuff but they cover it well. Basically it's like a compendium of everything you need or want to know about mainstream cinema. And I don't use "mainstream" in a pejorative sense, I mean, it's called "The Hollywood Saloon" not "Extreme Indie Rebel Hour" and it's truth in advertising.

I just downloaded part one of Hardcore History's coverage of the WWII Eastern front, and Holy Crap it is awesome. That Dan Carlin is one heck of a storyteller.

Those guys are great. Especially when they do masterclass episodes. They really take a lot of time to prepare and do a solid post-production polish and their excitement is infectious. In fact, I've never heard men of their age get so unabashedly enthused before (maybe because I've never been to Comic Con). They are heavy on genre-fiction fanboy stuff but they cover it well. Basically it's like a compendium of everything you need or want to know about mainstream cinema. And I don't use "mainstream" in a pejorative sense, I mean, it's called "The Hollywood Saloon" not "Extreme Indie Rebel Hour" and it's truth in advertising.

Yay! A fellow fan :clap:

Yeah, I remember someone telling me that they don't shy away from Hollywood and kind of being a bit wary, but it was not what I expected... It's extremely balanced and, as you say, their enthusiasm is infectious. It's no exaggeration to say that they've improved my movie watching experience -- they've kind of made it fun again. Plus I've widened my tastes as a direct result, and seen movies I would have never watched.

In a word: Awesome

I'll also endorse Brainy Gamer: his rss feed contains really insightful interviews with:

1. Clint Hocking
  2. Steve Gaynor
  3. Jenova Chen
  4. Leigh Alexander

The Jenova Chen one was particularly eye-opening for me.

Also, thanks for bringing up a bunch of 'casts dudes. I hadn't heard of many of these. Actually, I got into brainy gamer because one of you brought it up in an IdleThumbs episode thread, so thanks.

I'll also endorse Brainy Gamer: his rss feed contains really insightful interviews with:

1. Jenova Chen

The Jenova Chen one was particularly eye-opening for me.

Almost thought you meant Sande Chen, then did a search for older episodes and found there actually was a Jenova Chen one. Should listen to some of those. I didn't like the cast that had Sande Chen much, but the other Episode 25 segments were great.

For video games, I really like the Giant Bombcast and the extremely awesome Retronauts at 1up.com.

If you like sports outside the major American pastimes but don't live in England, listen to the Fighting Talk podcast. It's like an audio version of Around The Horn, except it's really good. Funny stuff.

Just started listening to A life well wasted, and Damn it's good. The B-side for Why I game was brilliant, mostly because I feel the same way as some of the people on it.

Hmmm. I like the sound of A Life Well Wasted and Hardcore History, I'll give them a shot! This thread was a good idea.

A friend of mine recommended Blast The Right, although I've not listened to it yet, I do trust his opinion. Also, has anyone listened to Dan Carlin's other podcast, "Common Sense"? Just wanted to hear opinions on it.

Floordje, if you're going to mention The Sound of Young America how can you leave out Jesse Thorn's other, even better podcast; Jordan Jesse Go.

True, 'tis a good cast as well.

Another games one I might mention:

First Wall Rebate, which while occasionally painful to listen to (as they sometimes tip toe towards articulating their points), they do have interesting topics and guests.

Floordje, if you're going to mention The Sound of Young America how can you leave out Jesse Thorn's other, even better podcast; Jordan Jesse Go.

I'll third the recommendation for any of the maximumfun.org podcasts. Also, The Bugle:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/the_bugle/

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=265799883

Yay! A fellow fan :clap:

I got around to listening to a lot of Hollywood Saloon a while ago after your recommendation. They've not put anything new out for aaages though... ;(

As for other 'casts I listen to, Rum Doings is very entertaining and is comprised of RPS's John Walker and his equally eloquent friend Nick Mailer.

Having skimmed this thread yesterday, I really liked the sound of A Life Well Wasted. And I'm glad it caught my attention because I listened to the latest instalment on my drive into work this morning and was amazed.

It's brilliant, from the people interviewed to the themes covered to the quality of the music and general production. Really, first class stuff. Made me think of the sort of radio documentaries people like the BBC put out, it's that well considered and produced.

I'm downloading all the other episodes to listen to in due course now--can't wait!

Having skimmed this thread yesterday, I really liked the sound of A Life Well Wasted. And I'm glad it caught my attention because I listened to the latest instalment on my drive into work this morning and was amazed.

It's brilliant, from the people interviewed to the themes covered to the quality of the music and general production. Really, first class stuff. Made me think of the sort of radio documentaries people like the BBC put out, it's that well considered and produced.

I'm downloading all the other episodes to listen to in due course now--can't wait!

I'd suggest taking it slow with ALWW, Ashley only releases an episode every few weeks, if not months, and there's only been a handful of episodes so far. It took me several months to listen to the tiny catalogue because it's just so damn good, I only allowed myself to listen to one every couple of weeks.

Still waiting on the release of the Why Game? poster...