Garple

PSP

As someone completely new to the PSP I'm looking at this supposedly barren catalogue and seeing quite a lot of titles I'd like to play now, and in the future. Is that my imagination? Are they all forgettable pap?

For all my bile, Tekken: Dark Resurrection is a superb game and is one of the very rare gems I've come across that really does the PSP justice. Likewise God of War: Chains of Olympus, but that suffers from a lack of replayability for me. However I found it superb on my first playthrough, having not experienced the God of War series prior to that.

Other than those two, my only other stand-out game would be Ridge Racer 2 which, whilst not technically astounding like the others above, is executed brilliantly and is supremely playable and moreish (just like Ridge Racer should be!). I've tried WipeOut Pure, but didn't enjoy it--and I've never enjoyed any WipeOut except for their soundtracks.

Rock Band Unplugged is good, but flawed in my opinion. It's got lots of fun songs, but I'm awful at rhythm games for a start and so with that and the PSP's uncomfortable controls I found it frustrating at times. It is fun though and very polished.

Metal Gear AC!D is another game I really liked the prospect of, but just couldn't get into the execution. Turn-based portable games just seem like such a brilliant idea, and coupled with something action-orientated like Metal Gear, it's a great prospect. But I found once I got so far through it I didn't really feel compelled to finish the game.

Similarly, LocoRoco is a game I really enjoyed to begin with, but got bored of after a while. And coupling that with my abysmal rhythm game abilities, you can guess how I got on with Patapon.

Wow, Wrestlevania. I think I'm just about convinced. If the PSP turns sound-minded gamers into vitriolic anger-machines...I think it's best to just say no. I suppose the main reason for my interest was that, as a gamer, I will always at least consider adopting any new platform that comes along, because of the prospect of having access to a whole new library of games. Plus, I think I was subconsciously hoping it would sate my nagging desire to break down and spend a lot of money I shouldn't on a PS3. Granted, I know it's not really a good substitute by any means...but it would be a current-gen Sony gaming device and it will have LittleBigPlanet on it fairly soon. But I watched a bunch of giant bomb quick looks of some of the games I was most interested in, and most of them look underwhelming. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (which sounds awesome on paper) just looks dumb.

Plus I'm in love with my DS, and I wouldn't want it to get jealous.

Seems like you've made up your mind Groucho, but for what it's worth...

Get a cheap psp, mod it, and use it to play Cave Story on the go.

Totally worth it.

Oh and playing the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame game in vertical mode is wicked fun.

I'm also one of the (apparently) few people outside of Japan to get over the control and difficulty issues in the Monster Hunter series to discover a profoundly entertaining, rewarding, skill based action adventure game.

Also Loco Roco 1 and 2 are really fun and unique (and mentioned), the second one expands on the first in every way and ups the replay value like crazy.

And Patapon! If you have issues with rythym games you should avoid it but the rpg elements make it much more interesting than just hitting a button in time with a metronome.

Honestly, don't let one (incredibly hyperbolic, if not occassionally correct) opinion sway you either way in your choice. Anybody can pick and choose the worst aspects of a gaming platform and make it seem a lot worse than it really is. Used PSPs are pretty cheap (I got mine in excellent condition for $70CDN, the price of a new game) and really, who doesn't love the feeling of a new platform and access to a new library of games?

Those are fair points, Shakesbeard. Thanks for taking the time. I have made up my mind in the sense that I'm going to table this issue for the time being. But I haven't ruled it out for good. I'm definitely interested in trying the Monster Hunter series, but I think I'm going to wait until the Wii Game comes out.

The prospect of Monster Hunter is really exciting, but I found what the reviews I read were saying to be very true: you ideally need to be playing co-op with at least one experienced person to really get into it. It's a ruthless game - at least in the early portion - and is quite unforgiving towards the beginner.

And, as mentioned here, the controls take a while to wrap your head around--mainly because they're context-sensitive, depending on what weapon you're currently using.

The prospect of Monster Hunter is really exciting, but I found what the reviews I read were saying to be very true: you ideally need to be playing co-op with at least one experienced person to really get into it. It's a ruthless game - at least in the early portion - and is quite unforgiving towards the beginner.

And, as mentioned here, the controls take a while to wrap your head around--mainly because they're context-sensitive, depending on what weapon you're currently using.

Definitely. It's certainly not something you can just pick up and enjoy from the start, which makes for an odd fit for a portable game. There are a ton of training missions though, which do a good job of emphasizing the significance of timing and the necessity of becoming familiar with the various combos and powers associated with each weapon.

I've never played multiplayer MH before, all of my time has been spent going solo, which makes knowledge of all the tools available to you all the more important. It really pushes the player to experiment with item combinations and rewards using traps and status items (like stun bombs and poisoned meat) with smoother hunting trips and less time spent recovering from failed encounters.

As an aside, Wrestle, your sig is warming my heart.

I traded my PSP in with a ton of games, and it helped me get enough scratch together to buy a PS3! I hadn't even touched it in forever.

If you can get one cheap, there are cool games out there. Ultimately I stopped playing my PSP because I couldn't afford to get games for it after I'd bought games for other consoles.

Also, the battery life (though improved these days) is iffy and the load times (on certain games) will drive you mad. Might drive you mad.

After saying ALL of that... if I had the cash I could be talked into owning one again. Decent system.

I think I need help.

I can technically afford it, though I really shouldn't... I have a sudden compulsion to get the PSP Go this weekend.

I used to have a PSP and traded it in because I never played it. But now I can see myself playing PS1 games ALL THE TIME, really, and what once looked so ugly and pointless now seems so... SHINY!!!

I really need help. I am what is wrong with consumer culture today.

Hey, I preordered a DSi. We could start a support group.

Seriously, I'm plenty happy with my first gen PSP. It's got a couple scratches on it now, but it still plays as good as when I got it, and I can always buy new memory sticks if I need them.

Hey, I preordered a DSi. We could start a support group.

Seriously, I'm plenty happy with my first gen PSP. It's got a couple scratches on it now, but it still plays as good as when I got it, and I can always buy new memory sticks if I need them.

Yeah, it makes by far the most sense to get one of the slightly older PSPs. I am drawn to the Go though... we'll have to see.

But then, we like video games right? Buying systems can be a part of it sometimes.

Blech. I like the look and the idea of the Go, but the price is ridiculous. Sony's admitted that it costs about as much as the previous PSP, but they can sell it for more because early adopters are used to paying a premium for new hardware. There's also no reason for full-price downloadable games. If I'm not paying for the manufacture and distribution of a piece of etched plastic with an instruction booklet, I'm not shelling out the $50-60. Sony should tell GameStop et al. to fuck off. The Go is targeted to the "core" gamer more than any other, and those gamers are going to get a Go whether or not their local store carries it. The bit of business that Sony loses would be worth it to put the whinier brick & mortar stores in their place.

Like everyone else in this thread I too snagged a PSP for free, and have found it to be a disappoinment. There are certainly some good games on there but they are few and far between. And even those usually have a superior console counterpart. So far I've only played three PSP games that weren't done better on other systems; Patapon, Loco Roco, and Metal Gear Ac!d. Long story short the PSP is a rent, not a buy.

Mine wasn't free. I paid full price for it back in 2005, when it was CAN$300. I still consider it worth it. It's not a system designed with portability in mind, as I believe I have defended, but it has certainly been a worthwhile purchase. If you think there are only 3 PSP games that haven't been done better, you have been ignoring (willfully or not) quite a lot of releases. Given the choice between the two, I would take a DS. If you already have a DS and are looking for a different experience, I have no difficulty saying you should get one.

Blech. I like the look and the idea of the Go, but the price is ridiculous. Sony's admitted that it costs about as much as the previous PSP, but they can sell it for more because early adopters are used to paying a premium for new hardware. There's also no reason for full-price downloadable games. If I'm not paying for the manufacture and distribution of a piece of etched plastic with an instruction booklet, I'm not shelling out the $50-60. Sony should tell GameStop et al. to fuck off. The Go is targeted to the "core" gamer more than any other, and those gamers are going to get a Go whether or not their local store carries it. The bit of business that Sony loses would be worth it to put the whinier brick & mortar stores in their place.

Yup, if anything I may pass on the PSP Go as an act of consumer voting; the price is just not on, really.

But then, we like video games right? Buying systems can be a part of it sometimes.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bub.

Well, Sony's done a little bit to soothe my pain. In celebration of the Go's release, they put around 100 PSP games on PSN, and a number of them will be on sale for a while. A good portion of them seem to be older, and possibly harder to find games, selling for $10-20. I might need to buy a bigger Memory Stick...

Well, Sony's done a little bit to soothe my pain. In celebration of the Go's release, they put around 100 PSP games on PSN, and a number of them will be on sale for a while. A good portion of them seem to be older, and possibly harder to find games, selling for $10-20. I might need to buy a bigger Memory Stick...

"Crush" is available for $16. If you haven't played it, do so. It's awesome but really :frusty: at parts.

Rockstar's Beaterator is out too but it's $40.

Persona, Disgaea, Soul Calibur, and some of the arcade collections (Sega Genesis, SNK, Capcom) are tempting though.

I love my PSP, then again I use it mostly for emulators and video. That may change with the flurry of new releases, though. It's true that there never seemed to be a whole lot of games for the thing but if you're coming into it now there's a decent library that's been built up and a lot more to come if Sony is to be believed. Just looking at the PS Store on it now reveals a boatload of games I'd like to try and if I had the memory I'd be racking up the demos.

The Minis section looks interesting, I'd like to see where that goes. It's true that there haven't been many "portable" quickie style games on the system, but that hasn't driven me into a rage like some people apparently have. Those kinds of games are nice to have but I found that I much prefer having fuller games most of the time. I had a DS which has tons and tons of those kinds of games but I always found myself bored with it in between Castlevania releases :mock:.

My only gripe is that I'm a whore for storage space and they don't make Memory Sticks big enough. I've got a good chunk of my DVDs that I had ripped for my iPod and was pleasantly surprised they play on my PSP (and much better if I might add, the giant screen helps too) and even with an 8gb stick I feel cramped. My 120gb iPod has spoiled me I suppose.

I used to have a PSP and traded it in because I never played it. But now I can see myself playing PS1 games ALL THE TIME

Bear in mind that not all PSX games appear to be "emulatable" on the PSP, and that's the Phat I'm talking about, too. No idea what the PSPgo will (or won't, more like) be capable of with regards to emulation.

I wanted to pick up a PSP for the new Parasite Eve, but other than that, I havent seen anything too interesting. Perhaps Patapon 2 and Half-second Hero, but that is it.

So, I managed to scrape together a little bit of time last night and make fine use of my PSP for the first time in a while:

policenauts.jpg

I'm roughly 90 minutes in and have just started the second chapter. So far, so cheesy and brilliant.

The light gun-style shooting sections during the first chapter were nasty on a D-pad though.

I just bought Beaterator, Tekken 2, and Legacy of Kain on the PSP.

I used to love Tekken 2 back in the day so this is a right blast from the past. That intro video, as corny as it is now (Nina's hair) was so fucking badass back in the day. It brought back so many memories. And the game still looks surprisingly decent. The character designs are a little dated but the game still plays relatively well.

Unfortunately I had a hard time pulling off some of the more elaborate moves. I never thought that the d-pad on the PSP was bad, but I must not have played any move intensive games. With this and the recent SF Alpha purchase, I've come to the conclusion that the PSP dpad is shit. Which sucks because this was my only real option for decent fighting game action over here.

Unfortunately I had a hard time pulling off some of the more elaborate moves. I never thought that the d-pad on the PSP was bad, but I must not have played any move intensive games. With this and the recent SF Alpha purchase, I've come to the conclusion that the PSP dpad is shit.

It's abysmal, I agree. After my initial giddiness at being able to play Street Fighter Zero 3 on the move, the squidgy, thumb-pulping controls on PSP are literally crippling for anything frenetic. :violin: