Sign in to follow this  
ethanThomas

The Myth of Sisyphus (Trials HD)

Also, Ethan, how long do you have to play this to get Extreme done. I've been playing this since last sunday, most days...at the moment I feel like I have no chance. Never really played a Trials before.

If you've never played the games before it'll probably take quite awhile. If you haven't already gotten gold on most of the medium and hard levels, I'd strongly recommend doing that before making a real effort to complete the extreme levels.

(I also only have bronzes on the extreme levels (100+ faults on each of the levels), so I'm still far from a master of the game)

Edited by ethanThomas

I have golds on all mediums, 2 hard, a few silver and mostly bronze. I really struggle getting over those boxes at the top of ramp 1, last level of hard!

I have golds on all mediums, 2 hard, a few silver and mostly bronze. I really struggle getting over those boxes at the top of ramp 1, last level of hard!

Yeah those crates are horrible. I can't remember if I've gotten over those or not. Still, I guess it's better that they put it in the beginning of the level, rather than in the end (unless the level has even more difficult obstacles)

Yeh that last level is a cunt. Pardon my french.

Starting to get a bit tired of it now...might leave it alone a few days, maybe played too much of it.

P.s. It's the first game in years that has made me move the contoller around unconciously like a goon to get that extra bit of height/distance. As a 'gamer', I feel ashamed to admit this :getmecoat

I reinstalled Trials 2:SE on steam to give it another shot and while I still enjoy it, I also still suck terribly at it...

Meanwhile in other jumping news, I've been getting into quake engine trickjumping, specifically for Enemy Territory. In order to get really tough jump sequences I end up constricting my entire body like some kind of mis-jointed rag doll... one leg curled back, one straight out bobbing in the air, my neck hunched, and my head twisted to the left for whatever inner-ear neuro programmed advantage my brain feels it gives me... my girlfriend walked in and was afraid the game was giving me seizures... (maybe it's the neverending gamma jump maps :P)

I never found that this kind of externalization of controller movement to be something to be ashamed of, doesn't it just speak to an immersive experience?

Count me as another disciple. Whenever I heard someone describe this series it didn't seem very interesting, but once I tried the Trials HD...trial...I was hooked. Don't think I'll ever get through the Extreme levels though. Inferno II makes me its bitch every time I play it.

Only 1 gold left to get now! (King of the Hill, surprise surprise).

Quite chuffed with myself - made it to position 525 on the global leaderboard for 'Classic' level on hard.

Glad I got this - it's proved very good value for 12 quid.

I just managed to complete my first Extreme level, and get silver on all the Hard ones, except the last. I'm feeling like the fun is slowly starting to disappear for me. I also gave up on some of the harder levels in Trials 2 (PC).

Well, finally managed a bronze on the first extreme level, and nearly got to the end of the second - where there's a box on a ramp that you have to hop over and THEN continue up the ramp.

Still can't get above a bronze on King of the Hill - or any platinums at all come to that. :(

I have one track shared - called 'Leap of faith'. I've already pimped it to a few of you, but let me know what you think, I've set it as a medium.

I have another in development called 'Tunnel Dash', a hard track.

Ok, Tunnel Dash is up and shared. Unsure if it's a bad idea or good idea yet, as it requires some brain re-wiring to play :erm: - and there might be a reason why they didn't include a level like this! Feedback (bad or good) if you bother checking it out please! :)

and there might be a reason why they didn't include a level like this! Feedback (bad or good) if you bother checking it out please! :)

Yeah, I think there is a reason. It's really hard to get those parts right even if your brain was re-wired successfully.

Is there a puzzle with the finish line? I couldn't figure out how to get over it.

Same here, I couldn't get over the finish line either.

I learned from making my own track that, while using custom camera angles is fun, if you stray too far from the 2D perspective it becomes way too disorienting, because the controls don't change with the perspective change. Left is still lean back and right is still lean forward, but you instinctively want to press up and down.

You might be able to get away with it, but you'd have to go out of your way to design a track that doesn't require you to shift your weight much.

Your other track was pretty good though.

I have one track shared - called 'Leap of faith'. I've already pimped it to a few of you, but let me know what you think, I've set it as a medium.

Leap of Faith is pretty cool! I was able to get through it fairly easy, but did fail a few times near the end. I'll give it another go this evening, and download your other one as well. I especially liked the see saw to train track climb and shifting perspective at the end.

A shame there is no leaderboard for the custom tracks though.

Also, I beat your hill climb last night. Made it to 73 meters, 2 away from a gold...dammit. I'm just going to stick playing around with the skill games for awhile, the extreme tracks are driving me insane.

Cheers for the feedback... I thought tunnel dash would be cool, but after playing it a bit, the balance thing is tough because of the lack of visual clues, ultimately making it the wrong kind of frustrating. Balance is so intrinsic to the game that even accelerating along the flat could make it annoying, which is a shame because I enjoyed the perspective. I was aiming for a tight, claustrophibic race. There might be a solution, just have to revisit it.

I enjoyed makng the seesaw bit, but it was a bit clumsy. I need to understand the sticky joints they've got a bit better I think.

The end of tunnel dash must be bugged. Seemed ok in testing.

Edit. Well that's annoying... It's only half finished, and the finish post is right on the bike line, which is why it won't trigger. That version is several saves back as well, because I remember noticing that problem when I first started. I had also lit the track better and finished it off with signs... And it all appears to have been lost. Bugger. :(

Arg : (

Will get around to your maps this week, but have backlog of this, Batman, Rockband and Mirror's Edge...

The hard and insane levels are driving me nuts. I dislike that one of the ways they've make them harder is by making them a lot darker :/

Wohoo! This weeks mission accomplished: gold on all hard levels

Wohoo! This weeks mission accomplished: gold on all hard levels

Jesus Christ, this thing is eating me up : last Saturday, I've poured hours into the thing and finally completed all the Medium levels with Gold and torn from the clench of Fate my first victory in the Extreme category.

For a second, I had a nice endorphin rush and I thought " Mmm, Trials HD is fun" while in fact, that statement was true hours ago! Now, I don't really know what the game can offer me except kicks to the balls but, at night, my controller seems to find the game by itself in the library and launch it.

I don't know what's got into me - but since I'm still playing the putrid Burnout Paradise to get the last license - I'm beginning to fear I've got a bad case of completionism, something I swore never to fall to. Help me!:(