Sign in to follow this  
BooJaka

Okamiden

So no one's really talking about this here yet but I'm pretty sure this forum has its fair share of Okami fans. It's on DS, looks astoundingly beautiful for a game on that platform and the little wolf cub is adorable!

Trailer at Joystiq.com

I didn't really like Okami, but for those who did this sounds like it could be really good news!

Who's developing it? Didn't Clover shut down?

This is indeed awesome news.

However considering the first game I half expect the sequel will have me fighting the same bosses from the first game another three times.

However considering the first game I half expect the sequel will have me fighting the same bosses from the first game another three times.

Maybe they'll go 'bigger, badder, and more badass' and you'll fight them four times!:grin:

I never thought they would make a sequel. The original on the PS2 and the great port to the Wii both sold poorly. But man am I glad they are making a sequel. Just the way that the original game was structured was so great. I loved how it was so much like LoZ but without the repetitive dungeons. This was one of my favorite games ever. Im gonna have to stop myself from going on a rant. Must Resist Lovefest

So yea... I am a big fan and thrilled for a sequel.

Oh and I agree, you fought the final boss like 3 times and it was just a joke by the third time.

As initially skeptical as I can't help but be by the prospect of an unnecessary sequel, more screens have been released and there no denying just how god damn cute they are! Also to answer the question above it's developed by Capcom. They did a pretty good job porting it to the Wii so it's not as blasphemous as it seems

Never played the original one even though it's out on Wii (I didn't have PS2), but this still looks cool. I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

Also to answer the question above it's developed by Capcom. They did a pretty good job porting it to the Wii so it's not as blasphemous as it seems

Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mega Man...Capcom is hardcore. They seem to really care about publishing products that make gamers happy. They even devote a decent amount of resources to niche titles like Zack and Wiki, Okami and Phoenix Wright.

Who's developing it? Didn't Clover shut down?

Clover are now called Platinum Games, they made Madworld and Bayonetta. Had they been behind this I would be very excited, but after DMC4 I'm not that bothered...

sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but i searched for some okamiden discussion and could find none. i'm currently replaying okami on account of the lack of pretty in my life, and want to get around to buying okamiden. worth it? i'm imagining the brush strokes are a lot easier to control, but is it a tiny game?

I actually played through Okami for the first time just before playing Okamiden, and Okamiden is basically more of the same. I mean, it's weird how smoothly the experience of playing Okami transitioned into Okamiden, the sequel picks up almost immediately after the end of the first game. It's actually even a lot of the same environments recreated in significantly lower detail for the DS hardware. (Which are then further broken up into small chunks with many loading zones, something that really starts to grate.)

Didn't really think that the d-pad was really suited to the 3d environments or the clumsy free-roaming camera, and the paintbrush recognition is still really spotty. Combat isn't as deep as it was in the original, but the quests and dungeons are well designed, and the story is super charming. (The english localization has a ton of typos though, it's weird.)

I didn't finish it, it's something i've been meaning to go back to, i got the impression that it was a fairly substantial game. (Set those expectations straight though, i wouldn't expect an Okami-length adventure. That first Okami is an absurdly over-long game.)

shame, i'd been thinking that maybe the brush strokes would be smoother on a ds. i wasn't thinking it'd be anywhere near as long as okami obvs, just got the impression it was pretty small but good to hear that's not the case! and i'm a sucker for a charming story not to mention the cute factor so i'm prolly gonna get this. yay!