Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Gmail invites

I'm curious, to know how often you Gmail users get invites. I've had Gmail for about a month and a half and they've only given me one. It's not like I know a ton of people who want one, I'm just curious to know if this is normal.

I'm curious, to know how often you Gmail users get invites. I've had Gmail for about a month and a half and they've only given me one. It's not like I know a ton of people who want one, I'm just curious to know if this is normal.
Probably.

It depends on their server loads.

I've only received one as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they slowed down the number of invites too, as a lot of people seem to have Gmail now.

When (if ever) are they going to open it up to people who aren't invited (ie, me)?

If I were to guess, I'd say not for a while yet. They still appear to be having some problems. Most notably is the fact that their ads frequently runover the alloted space. They also have yet to implament some features like drafts and html formating in messages. Also, while they don't have it on their to do list, the address book could use a little work.

Yeah the options are probably going to be expanded, but I haven't noticed this problem with ads. I think it'll be a few more months before they launch it but as it is I'm digging it more than with Yahoo and my brief spell with Hotmail (the amount of spam you get on that thing is unbelievable).

It's hard to get too excited about a webmail account but getting in early enough to have my real name without numbers etc. for once is neat, I don't have to be 'darth_vader_87924' or anything like that anymore.

Yeah, Gmail rocks. I especially love how fast it is, though every once in a while they have a few problems. The first day I signed up it was so slow. It took me over a half an hour to put about 15 names in my address book. Luckily, it hasn't been that bad since.

Simon, if you have any really short e-mails check the ads on the side. Sometimes it generates a ton of ads and links, and since there isn't much space, because the e-mail is short, it'll run over the bottom border. Not that big of a deal, but I doubt they want that in the in there when they finally release it.

Oh, and I'm lovin this. :mrt:

Is this one legal? :period:

Probably highly illegal, but we can always claim that it is a loving homage of a bunch of fans -- which it is, honestly -- rather than a blatant rip-off which it could be erronously regarded as. :shifty:

Besides, it was Jake's idea, I just made it.

I got 6 invites... Within the first two weeks or so. Maybe it was because I'm from denmark and therefore a minority in that region - or maybe because I sent in a lot of suggestions right in the start. Anyways I haven't recieved anyone since.

And I have one to spare if anybody wants one...

I'm currently in Jordan on a Dig / excavation - so I will not see any replies soon. But pm me or something and I will mail you the invite...

Wella i'm out - it's freaking hot in here.....

I'm currently in Jordan on a Dig / excavation - so I will not see any replies soon. But pm me or something and I will mail you the invite...

Wella i'm out - it's freaking hot in here.....

Whoa, my friend Kyle is also in Jordan on a dig/excavation. Do you know if there are multiple groups there, or is it possible you've run into him? He had his 21st birthday last week or something and apparently there was much tomfoolery and drinkery going on.

I got 6 invites... Within the first two weeks or so. Maybe it was because I'm from denmark and therefore a minority in that region - or maybe because I sent in a lot of suggestions right in the start. Anyways I haven't recieved anyone since.

I've sent them a ton of suggestions too, so I don't think it's that. When did you sign up?

It's hard to get too excited about a webmail account but getting in early enough to have my real name without numbers etc. for once is neat, I don't have to be 'darth_vader_87924' or anything like that anymore.

That's why I wanted to get in early, too, but when I finally got an invite I learned the minimum username length is 6 characters. I was hoping to get [email protected]. That would have been such an easy email address to give out and for people to remember. But no, I had to get stuck with an email address that's even longer than my previous one.

Yeah, the six character rule really sucks.
Don't bother my Kingzjester ass.

When did I sign up? Hmm good question... I think it was maybe 2 months ago...

Nobody wants that gmail invite....???

I mean it's free and filled with happiness...

Nobody wants that gmail invite....???

I mean it's free and filled with happiness...

You mean you've got one? I'd be more than happy to take it!

...Please? :innocent:

I put my name on their mailing list indicating interest in an account ages ago before they launched, but I was never contacted. Fortunately Simon of our very own forums came to my rescue.

Hey, I was just thinking, you know how gmail limits you to one account? Well, couldn't someone just send an invite to themselves? I mean, how does gmail keep people from doing that? Keep track of IP addresses? And if that's the case, what if two different people use the same computer, but want different e-mail addresses?

Also: Hermes, you are rad.

I got six invites within the first week or so, and since then -- after I used them all -- I've had one (still have it). I think what helped is that I moved a lot of mailing-list subscriptions to Gmail (the conversation feature is perfect for mailing-lists!), so in that first week I had a lot of incoming mail. Perhaps the invites are awarded based on usage?