Sign in to follow this  
Freezerr

GoG.com 1st anniversary sale

Just stumbled across GoG.com having a pretty awesome sale to celebrate their 1st birthday - Buy one Interplay game, get another free. Fallout, Freespace, and a bunch of other stuff is included. If, like me, you haven't bought the old Fallout games prior to this, it's a ridiculously great deal.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/1year_promo

The other day I got Fallout (so I can play it on me netbook) and Giants: Citizen Kabuto because I've had my eye on it for a while.

I love GOG, it's so unambiguously awesome.

There's one thing I don't like about GoG.com. Pretty much everything that really interests me I already own. And a lot of other stuff I already tried when it was new.

I got Freespace 2 and Giants. I pirated Giants back in the day when I was in junior high and had no income. I figured how much I'd played it back then warranted a purchase if only to help clear my conscience. Freespace 2 I borrowed from a friend and played the shit out of, so I decided that buying it so I could go back and try again would be fun. Need to find my old Logitech joystick now though. I loved that thing, and it was wonderful for flight games. It's still around somewhere, so the time to bust it out is now.

I have a bit of a backlog on GOG - games I have bought but have yet to actually download and play. Must get round to finsihing Freespace 2 though - from what I gather it is basically the swansong of the PC space flight combat genre.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto I really enjoyed back in the day - great sense of humour and a nice transition between 3rd person shooter and strategy. Similar in several ways to Beyond Good and Evil, at least aesthetically.

Just too cheap to pass up, I picked up Fallout 1/2, Freespace 2, and Earthworm Jim 1/2. The only one of those that I've played is the original Earthworm Jim (regrettably), so I'm pretty eager to fill in this gaping holes in my video game literacy. Any suggestions on what I should start off with?

Unless you have a lot of spare time I wouldn't recommend Freespace. I played the tutorial for thirty minutes, got a bit confused, went to change some control options and saw the hundreds of commands, then quit.

I'll get round to it eventually.

Play Fallout 1 first. You're not a PC gamer until you've at least played Fallout. There are many types of PC gamer, but Fallout is the One Game that Binds Them All (well, that and Civ).

The Might & Magic 6-pack, and Heroes of M&M 2 and 3 are all great buys as well. Just an unbelievable amount of great gaming for the price.

edit: n0wak: yes, you absolutely should be able to. I played it on an Eee PC once.

edit: n0wak: yes, you absolutely should be able to. I played it on an Eee PC once.

::BROKEN THUMB UP:: Just bought 'em. And thanks for reminding me: I have Civ 3 sittiing in my Steam account. I probably should download that too.