jneeriem

First game you remember playing

Well. This takes me back. It's taken me a while to find it, and I'm not certain if it's the one, but it has the most matches with a very hazy memory from dead young (maybe 5/6 years old?). In particular, I remember the detachable controllers that fit snugly inside the unit, switches at the top of the unit, motocross games, pong games, but not the dial controllers - I thought it had joysticks, but I could be wrong. It didn't have the light gun, as it wasn't even mine.

poppy_9017.jpg

Circa 1982.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=818

Been addicted ever since. You'd think I'd be good at them by now :P

First game that I got obsessed with would be either The Secret of Monkey Island, Space Quest II or Harlequin all on the Amiga.

I'd blame Monkey Island for my teen obsession with tracking down as many adventure games as I could and the further repeated RSI that came with constantly changing disks.

Well. This takes me back. It's taken me a while to find it, and I'm not certain if it's the one, but it has the most matches with a very hazy memory from dead young (maybe 5/6 years old?). In particular, I remember the detachable controllers that fit snugly inside the unit, switches at the top of the unit, motocross games, pong games, but not the dial controllers - I thought it had joysticks, but I could be wrong. It didn't have the light gun, as it wasn't even mine.

poppy_9017.jpg

Circa 1982.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=818

Christ! I completely forgot about the knock off pong machine we had that was just a black box with a couple of paddles.

It claimed to have Football, tennis and 3 others but as we all know, they were all pretty much identical.

It's either Monkey Island or Fantasy World Dizzy — can't remember which, but those are my earliest gaming memories. :)
Was Fantasy World Dizzy really as good as its reputation holds?

I dunno, I was like three. I do remember really loving it though, and continuing to play it for years. I really liked Treasure Island Dizzy, too.

I dunno, I was like three. I do remember really loving it though, and continuing to play it for years. I really liked Treasure Island Dizzy, too.

I think I remember enjoying "Magicland Dizzy" the most, then came the glorious days of playing Dizzy in colour on the Amiga.

as a younger thumb the first game which I remember would either be sonic on the megadrive, or pacman on the amiga 500.

Although Pacman is the first game which I ever completed legitimately.

Wait, you completed Pac-man? That's awesome.

yeah, I believe it was the Pac man deluxe, or something.

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while. For some reason, I can't seem to figure out what the system was. It was made sometime in the mid-to-late-80's, black, and (if I remember correctly) had a numeric keypad on the console itself. I could be wrong, but I don't think it used cartridges; the games were selected using the keypad. I remember playing Donkey Kong and some sort of top-down tank game. I've looked through Wikipedia and several retro gaming sites, but nothing has spurred my memory. I guess that would make Donkey Kong the first game I remember playing.

For me it was Chuckie Egg on my next door neighbour's C64, around 1989-ish. Having my physical actions reflected by an external agent was just too exciting for my young mind and I've been sold on computer games ever since.

It was probably good ole Donkey Kong for me. I vaguely remember a bar on the corner by my house that would let kids in only to play the Donkey Kong machine.

My first console was the Intellivision II. That thing had some goofy-ass controllers. I even had the voice synthesis module thingy, and it kinda freaked me out when it would talk.

intellivision1e.jpg

My first console was the Intellivision II. That thing had some goofy-ass controllers. I even had the voice synthesis module thingy, and it kinda freaked me out when it would talk.

Yes, my uncle had one and it scared the shit out of me. Especially this game:

faWw2aY0j80

The first one I can remember is Sonic 2 for Sega Genesis. I may have played other games at friends of family's houses or whatever, but that was my first console and first game and I don't really remember playing anything before that.

My parents bought my brothers and I a TRS-80 II.

We had Megabug

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZIKyqZRlDc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZIKyqZRlDc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and Bust Out. (couldn't find a link to the specific game.)

We also had some sort of Taxi game and Peanut Butter Panic. I'm trying to remember exactly, but I think they were on cassette tapes and we had a special tape player that plugged into the TRS and the TV to play the games.

Wonder if my parents still have that stuff or not. . . hmmm.

Another classic we played at a friends house on their Apple II was Captain Goodknight.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapg2Y1KplU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapg2Y1KplU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>