Sign in to follow this  
Ginger

Our lowest hour (SEGA)

People (esp. Ben) who thought things could go bad for Sega probably never thought things would get this bad.

All I'm going to say is I've just seen Sonic holding a McDonalds Happy Meal.

What next, are we going to see a line of campaign posters where sonic is shaking GW Bushes hand.

I hope instead what we get is more games with Sonic snowboarding down city streets bonking cars out of the way with Green Day knockoff music playing in the background.

The Sega-McDonald's deal was announced almost a year ago. I though that was over already.

It's hard to believe that Sega were kings of the console at one point, what they're now reduced to is a sad thing indeed. I was playing some of my old Megadrive (Genesis for you Americans) games through the GENS emulator recently and I realised what a great console that was. Memories of working my way through Sonic The Hedgehog 2 are still pretty vivid, there were lots of addictive platformers like that. Also, Pirates Gold! on the Megadrive had nicer graphics than the PC version. Ahh, the days of yore...

The idea of Sega and corporate deals with McDonalds probably isn't that shocking to me, however. It's not like they're all about artistic integrity and protecting the character, seeing as Sonic is basically a contrived corporate mascot in the first place really. I'm actually surprised McDonalds went for that even a year ago though - Sonic is hardly as iconic and popular as he was in the early 90s.

Sonic has a cartoon show (Sonic X) on Fox Kids, which is what the kids are going to be familair with; not the "hedgehog with attitude" of Christmas Past (Sonic games on consoles aren't that hot nowadays, with sonic advance being about as good as it gets).

Sega & Mcdonalds is nothing special, the Ronald McDonald game by Treasure was a Megadrive game. So was Mick and Mack Global Gladiators. Sonic Happy Meal toys were common "back in the day", so give the guys some credit for knowing their audience (if only that had held true for the sad days of the 32x).

I don't like that Bush comment at all

Sonic was ass from the beginning. Although I love the era and the system, really all sonic had was speed gimmick, its other machanics were pretty sloppy. Sega has really taken a dive either way though, and all of their good developers (like Yu Suzuki) left after they were swallowed by the pachinko-loving Sammy.

But with the death of Sega comes the birth of a slew of new development houses lead by the best of the old Sega team. Supposedly there is an unofficial-but-obvious REZ sequel in production!

Sonic was ass from the beginning. Although I love the era and the system, really all sonic had was speed gimmick, its other machanics were pretty sloppy.

:shifty:

Sonic was ass from the beginning. Although I love the era and the system, really all sonic had was speed gimmick, its other machanics were pretty sloppy.

:shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

:shifty:

Right through the pants my friend, right through the pants.