gdf

Recently completed video games

I beat two games recently,

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

So now I'm officially a Metal Gear fan. Out of the 6 I've played, these 2 are by far the best.

You'd played 4 and weren't a fan?!

I haven't played any and keep eyeing 3 cheap on 3DS. Is it worth it or should I just wait for a few years until I've got a PS4 and can do the proper modern version with V?

Alternatively I could get the PS3 version of V. Has anybody tried that?

Edit. Just finished Sonic 2 on the 3DS. What a bloody sublime thing that is! I know the 'blue sky in games' thing is old hat but that game just makes you thank god for colour. Everything about it feels classy. Up there with SMB3 and SMW. Sonic 2 is supposedly the last game M2 are bringing to the 3DS, but I hope they sneak out a third wave, even if it's only a small one. They want to do Virtua Fighter and I'd love to see them polish off Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Streets of Rage 3.

Related Sonic thought - why did they never make a Sonic Spinball using the Sonic 2 engine? I know internal politics were going on but Spinball still has a following despite its utter shiteness and a 'real' one with tight controls and proper sprites could've been special.

You'd played 4 and weren't a fan?!

Actually talking about that last night. It was the first one I played, and I thought it was OK, but I was essentially playing for the mechanics since I had no clue about the story. That game is all story. 

I should really play it again, now I know what's going on.

I beat "Jim Power and the Lost Dimension", which I got because I had a hankering for a game with "16-Bit European Aesthetic", A.k.a. "probably has music from Chris Hülsbeck".

The game really did satiate that hankering, the Steam version has the DOS and SNES version and I played the Enhanced SNES version, and I really hated the added "mode 7" levels and it was ridiculously brutal.

In other words, maybe the next time I get this hankering I'll just listen to the Turrican soundtrack and look at great pixel art. 

I finished off Legend of Grimrock today!  Good game, not great, but good.  Progression felt weird, you needed to dump every single point into a single tree if you wanted to max rank it, which seems like a thing a player would want to do.  But it means the vast majority of the skills are pointless and unused.  A different balance/philosophy towards leveling up and progression could have made it feel more engaging.  Mostly I enjoyed exploring the levels and solving puzzles though.  Definitely curious about the sequel. 

Also, I messed around with Proteus, and am calling it done.  I was actually digging it and got a few little moments of genuine joy/wonder, and then I found the button to close my eyes and it kicked me out to the menu with no way to restart (I did find the post cards, but both were at the start of my world and I was in Fall, didn't want to spend another 30 minutes wandering around again).  Ultimately a bit of a frustrating experience when it shouldn't have been. 

This weekend I finally caught up in my games beaten versus games purchased ratio, by playing through Unfinished Swan and This War of Mine

Unfinished Swan was pretty good, but it gets caught in the trap of trying to vary up game mechanics in ways that end up just becoming frustrating. There were parts in the 2nd and 3rd worlds where you're in an all white or all black space, but you don't have ink to spread on the walls, so you end up just wandering around throwing water so you at least know if you're hitting a barrier. I guess my sense of direction is bad or something, because I got stuck in these fairly small areas for almost long enough for me to just quit. I wish they'd just stuck with the ink balls and instead varied up the environments or changed colors or something. Despite those complaints, I enjoyed the visuals and the cool feeling of exploration, and I'd still recommend it.

This War of Mine is worth every bit of the praise it got when it first released. Excellent visual style, excellent controls, interesting game loop, and tense at times without being overwhelmingly so. My only thought on this one is that I found it a bit too easy. After a 12 day aborted play through where I was first learning the mechanics, I was able to play all the way through to the end without once having to steal, answering every call for aid, and without getting wounded or firing a shot. For a game that's been advertised as having to make tough choices, I didn't find that to be the case. Still wonderful, and there's a bunch of custom stories on the Steam workshop now, so I'm sure there's some harder stuff out there.

I beat Grim Fandango Remastered and I can't say much that hasn't said before, except that I was grateful for the commentary and finally being to play without tank controls... I did feel bad for all the abuse Manny gave to poor Glottis.

I really hope the Day of The Tentacle also has a commentary track too.

People... you're cluttering up the recently completed video game thread with a different discussion.

I just finished a 100% run of the Recently completed video games thread, I was really disappointed that there's no achievement for it.

Edit: Well this comment looks silly now that it's responding to a joke that's been moved to another thread. But it's silly in a way I like, so I'm leaving it.

Wow, now that I think about it I haven't completed a game super recently. My most recent would be my yearly run through of Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube version). I adore this game for a multitude of reasons, and I have been wondering if it's worthwhile to buy Resident Evil 1 HD on steam? I hear that 4 was the first big departure of the series, but if I love RE4 will I still love RE1 if even for different reasons?

Also, I am ashamed to admit that this was the first playthrough where i happened to find out about Ditmanning ( I dont know why but I have never read about the game online before this year). Are there any other weird tricks in RE4 I may not know about? Or in any game really, I like reading about this stuff.

Wow, now that I think about it I haven't completed a game super recently. My most recent would be my yearly run through of Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube version). I adore this game for a multitude of reasons, and I have been wondering if it's worthwhile to buy Resident Evil 1 HD on steam?

RE1 is a game with very old-school sensibilities. Half of it is inscrutable adventure-gamey puzzles and some gotcha deaths. You pretty much have to play with a guide. The other half is a kind of survival horror that the series has increasingly shied away from: when RE1 says survival horror it means "There are six zombies and you have two bullets", and "You have limited saves. Not save slots, limited saves". I'm not saying it's a bad game (my memories of it are too old and hazy to have any idea of whether or not it holds up today), but it's thoroughly unrelated to RE4. Liking RE4 is absolutely no indication that RE1 is for you.

People... you're cluttering up the recently completed video game thread with a different discussion.

Not anymore... I split it into its own thread.

I just beat Resident Evil Revelations 2 and if Capcom decides to stop making "main" RE and only made the Revelation games... I'd be happy with it.

Each chapter is divided in the Claire section and the Barry section which take time 6 months apart, the enemies you encounter in each are different and some are in both, they just have been decomposing for six months and are almost walking skeletons.

In one chapter I way happy to find out that the levels I pulled that apparently did nothing unlocked things for Barry in the next section 6 months later. What I didn't like where the invisible enemies mostly because by the time my partner warned me about them and pointed where they were, I was already dead.

I even played the extra missions, which add to the story and explain a few things left unexplained and confirmed my suspicions in the other scenario.

I'm incredibly wary of "AAA" games lately, so the fact that I made it through and not only liked it but really enjoyed it must mean something!

RE1 is a game with very old-school sensibilities. Half of it is inscrutable adventure-gamey puzzles and some gotcha deaths. You pretty much have to play with a guide. The other half is a kind of survival horror that the series has increasingly shied away from: when RE1 says survival horror it means "There are six zombies and you have two bullets", and "You have limited saves. Not save slots, limited saves". I'm not saying it's a bad game (my memories of it are too old and hazy to have any idea of whether or not it holds up today), but it's thoroughly unrelated to RE4. Liking RE4 is absolutely no indication that RE1 is for you.

I've heard as much, and I didn't mean to imply that I thought the games are similar. Everything I have ever heard indicates that RE4 was a pretty big change from the first three games. however, many people say RE1 is their favorite, and since I already really like the game universe I am willing to try out the first one even if it is radically different from the 4th

It's cool that you're enjoying the Revelations series Tanu!

I guess the last game I completed must have been Thomas Was Alone.

Good single-player cooperative experience.

The last game I completed was Lost Planet 3 and it really had me thinking about my game tastes and dislikes.

I always thought that I simply didn't enjoy fighting humans because it felt "wrong", but I finally realized WHY I don't like fighting them in this game, shooting humans in modern games usually means COVER based shooting, which I now know I really loathe, I'm more accustomed to fast paced shooters like Serious Sam and I just hate how slow cover shooters feel. And maybe I really don't like shooting humans anyway.

And I'm not entirely sure why, but it seems I usually prefer to side quests to actual main missions, I'm not entirely sure, but I guess it's maybe because main missions are the ones that feel "sloggy", forced and unfun to me.

As for the game itself, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it, although since it's not really a cover based shooter until the very end for a mission or two, I guess it's not hard to see why I liked it.

I kinda empathized with the character, he's just a guy hauling T-Eng in his "big rig" and fixing the constantly breaking mechanisms in a harsh environment.

I really hated that the game ended in a sequel bait, specially since I'm not sure if we'll get another Lost Planet.

It's cool that you're enjoying the Revelations series Tanu!

I guess the last game I completed must have been Thomas Was Alone.

Good single-player cooperative experience.

Yeah, I recently completed that game and posted in the Thomas Was Alone thread.

It was a really delightful, Sunday-hangover game.

I have also played and finished Lost Planet 3 (mainly because of my adulation for Lost Planet 2, which is still one of the best games of its generation) and I pretty much agree with Tanu. I thought the atmosphere was really solid (it also has the best drinking animation in any game I have ever played) but was not supported by the mechanics in a way that I thought was meaningful. I would love to see someone take the Lost Planet 3 engine and then make a Don't Starve style game with big desolate snow scapes to explore in your mech.

Tiny Bang Story :tup:

Last Sunday I was looking for a game to play to wind down. At some point I prefer to play games which do not require to be very alert, or responsive, or requires much thought. Just play something very casually. Twig suggested this game. And it was fun hunting down hidden things on the screen and a few rather easy puzzles.

Hurray I'm glad you liked it! It's such a pleasant little game.

After a week of alternately enjoying it and pounding my desk in frustration, I completed Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. It's one of those games that fakes you out into thinking a magic build is actually viable, only to leave you being able to be killed in one or two hits in the later portion of the game. The expansion areas are especially bad for this, so bad that I ended up cheating through the last stage of the last boss because I was tired of dying. Still, a worthy successor to Diablo 2 in many ways, and having various ancient religions as a backdrop was pretty cool. 

I finished Hot Tin Roof: The Cat Who Wore a Fedora over the weekend.  It's pretty good, one of those nice weekend afternoon type games.  The puzzles generally weren't too hard, and the devs did a great job of executing a noir type mystery, complete with the background of a crime taking place within and related too more complex social themes (not something I expected from it).  It does go on a bit too long, probably took me 10ish hours to play, and I would have preferred it be a bit shorter, particularly on the need to backtrack a few times through large areas because I had picked up a new tool that would let me open some previously locked doors. 

I just completed Suikoden and boy does it hold up!

I loved that you can recruit and even use almost anybody in your party, I got Sarah, the laundry lady, in my party and gave a water rune and made her a healer and she did a great job!

I thought I almost messed up getting all the 108 Stars of Destiny, but I was very lucky and barely managed it. I really love this game, I love recruiting people and see them working in my castle and seeing my castle grow, you can even get your own character that can only say the name of the place it's in!

Maybe the game is a bit easy, but it makes using whatever party you want in the game possible, what I didn't like was that most of the game you have a few spots in your party taken by characters forced in a scene by the narrative.

Finished Tales of Borderlands :tup: yesterday.

I enjoy this style of story telling. It's interesting to follow, not really taxing. So enjoyable to play after a long day of work and not as passive as sitting on the couch watching TV. Episode 4 had a really great segment, very funny too. I think the dialogue choices where much more clear in this game compared to the Walking Dead. In TWD I often regretted the choice I made as I expected something else to happen.

So if there's a next season I will probably buy it right away.