gdf

Recently completed video games

What cutscenes are you referring to? None of the cutscenes have the updated texture resolutions or lighting of the main game, they are supposedly just reencoded (and not even rerendered if I am udnerstanding right) to have as little compression as possible.

The part I was referring to is when Sal locks you in the shed in the garage.  It's not technically a cutscene but the effect was still very jarring to me.

grim_fandango_remastered_3.jpg

Oh wow, that screenshot proves that Grim Fandango was an FMV game all along.

For some reason, Don Copal and Lola only exist in cutscenes.  This really confused me when Manny would be talking about Don vs. Dom and Lola vs. Lupe and I would have no way to see both characters to figure out which voice belongs to which face belongs to which character.

(And Sal's the freedom fighter!  ¡Viva la revolución!)

Oh wow, that screenshot proves that Grim Fandango was an FMV game all along.

For some reason, Don Copal and Lola only exist in cutscenes. This really confused me when Manny would be talking about Don vs. Dom and Lola vs. Lupe and I would have no way to see both characters to figure out which voice belongs to which face belongs to which character.

(And Sal's the freedom fighter! ¡Viva la revolución!)

Oops, you're right. I don't know why I keep thinking his name is Sal.

I played through Contradiction over the weekend. After Her Story, I was looking for mystery games to play through with my wife. After we watched the first few minutes of the Quick Look, we had a pretty good idea that we were going to enjoy it. It ended up being a great middle ground between low budget schlock and a legitimately enjoyable adventure game. Toward the end a few problems show up (your inventory gets so full that it's hard to sort out the relevant information, the game wraps up quickly with lots of loose ends, apparently because the team ran out of money), but we had a ton of fun with it. 

I just beat 3rd Birthday, it's not a Parasite Eve sequel, but a game with Aya Brea in it? And like most modern Squenix games, the plot is so confusing that I wasn't even sure who I was by the ending.

I have to say about the dumb torn clothes mechanic, you look kinda skimpy when you get hit enough which was highly suspicious, but when I got a maid outfit after beating the game? Yeah, it's pretty upsetting. I actually enjoyed Senran Kagura and other blatant "titillation", but it's one thing to get this kind of content in the equivalent of a Troma movie, and another to get in a more "serious" movie... ugh.

But as a game? I kinda enjoyed it! I don't if this is telling of modern FPS games, but I kept expecting bullet-sponges and never got them, expected the game to have busywork and didn't get any and just for that it made more enjoyable that most modern shooters I've played. 

The part I was referring to is when Sal locks you in the shed in the garage.  It's not technically a cutscene but the effect was still very jarring to me.

grim_fandango_remastered_3.jpg

Oh now I get it, yeah, I wonder why Don Copal never actually has a real time model? He peaks his head out of the office at some point as well and that's about it. Guess they didn't have a higher res source for his video playback.

Strangely, I felt there would be more clashing with realtime characters in 1080p over 640x480 rendered backgrounds but I think it mostly looked fine. Maybe it's because they did some upscaling and the backgrounds didn't have a bunch of aliasing to begin with? Also the game never looked as terrible as "original" mode on my PC back then because my 3D card (and I think many?) had anti aliasing to prevent most of that jagginess. I feel like Double Fine forced the worst settings on original mode in order to make the comparison more noticeable.

Journey.  

Never played it before and bought it for £9 on PS4. 

Are there a lot of people playing it on PS4? I might buy it again, but I had such a good time with my random companions last time that I would be sad if they kept disappearing on me.

I played through Journey once (really happy to see it come to PS4, first console I've owned in a while). I had 4 companions en route, one of whom lasted for most of the latter half of the game. We sent each other messages thanking one another for the fun trip, it was cool.

You're not supposed to look them up for real in the recently met players Osmosisch, you are killing all of the magic!

Well, unless you thanked each other in the snow.

I played through Contradiction over the weekend. After Her Story, I was looking for mystery games to play through with my wife. After we watched the first few minutes of the Quick Look, we had a pretty good idea that we were going to enjoy it. It ended up being a great middle ground between low budget schlock and a legitimately enjoyable adventure game. Toward the end a few problems show up (your inventory gets so full that it's hard to sort out the relevant information, the game wraps up quickly with lots of loose ends, apparently because the team ran out of money), but we had a ton of fun with it. 

That's good to hear. I bought a copy after watching the GB video content as thanks.

You're not supposed to look them up for real in the recently met players Osmosisch, you are killing all of the magic!

Well, unless you thanked each other in the snow.

I didn't look them up outside the game, it shows you which player was which symbol at the end. I only thanked the guy I had a really good time with. Seems like it's intentional to me. I agree that looking them up while playing would be kind of lame.

I'm miffed that those stupid snakes kill your scarf by the by, it was getting so long :(

I'm going to call it now, I saw the credits and did even more, so it counts. I beat Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. It's a hell of a game. It's dragged me into to series and I'm so happy about it. I adore the combat, I adore the fact it's just boss after boss. The controls are close to perfect.

There is one thing I hate about it. The need for multiplayer. I've enjoyed some of the multiplayer, it's good, it's fun, but making so you can't progress in single player without completing certain quests in multi is a bad choice. I'm currently stuck on Dalamadur, which is impossible to PUG with, since I have no idea what I'm doing, and most people don't either. 

That brings me to my next issue. The gimmick fights - I hate Dah'ren Mohran and Dalamadur. They're an entirely different skill set, they don't make you use what you've learned, they just dump you in a new situation, with no instructions whatsoever. The rest of the game is pretty good at tutorialising without actually doing it. Yes, you pretty much have to look stuff up, but I never looked up how to fight an enemy, all the monsters I'd fought had taught me how to deal with each new monster. Yet those two fights required me to look up a strategy. 

I'm not done with MH4U, but I am taking a break. It's a fantastic game, but banging my head against a gimmick fight with PUGs isn't fun, I'm sure I'll get past it eventually though.

No, I haven't played that one yet. It looks really interesting though.

It's another short, emotive game.  I would suggest picking it up and playing it through in one sitting (2.5 - 3 hours) - by the end, it's quite an experience.

I didn't look them up outside the game, it shows you which player was which symbol at the end. I only thanked the guy I had a really good time with. Seems like it's intentional to me. I agree that looking them up while playing would be kind of lame.

I'm miffed that those stupid snakes kill your scarf by the by, it was getting so long :(

Oh maybe I missed that, I thought you had to go into the recently met users. It's in there too.

I just replayed Quake for the first time since i was a kid, and it's a game that was kind of a formative experience for me, so i've always been wary about treading on those memories.

It was a weird experience, and i'm a little bummed out because i don't think the game holds up quite as well as i wanted it to. The weird thematic incoherence has often been a topic for people who want to look critically at the game, but i think it's actually one of Quake's strengths. It gives it a kind of weird sense of mechanical purity, that it sort of ends up being this abstract, contextless violence. I think the physics and the general feel of that game are as close to perfect as it could be, though the feel of the weapons specifically, and some of the weapon balance, came across as a little awkward this time around.

The big thing that wasn't working for me though is that fourth episode with the unique and completely awful enemies and its dark, difficult to see, and difficult to navigate environments. It also seemed like there was a lot of cheap damage, with powerful enemies quietly being dumped into corridors you had just passed through seconds earlier, no walls noisily receding to signal the change in the map.

That ambient ost is killer. (It's not in the steam version, so i just had it on a loop in the background.)

But yeah, Quake's still mostly awesome, but i think i have to say that it probably hasn't aged quite as well as some of Id's other games.

I'm not done with MH4U, but I am taking a break. It's a fantastic game, but banging my head against a gimmick fight with PUGs isn't fun, I'm sure I'll get past it eventually though.

I'm probably on board for eventually doing a forum group, somebody just needs to set a time that works for everybody.

I'm probably on board for eventually doing a forum group, somebody just needs to set a time that works for everybody.

Yeah I need to mention that again. It seems like there's a big gap between everyone though. Those at G rank, me at high rank and dibs at low.

In other news, I finished Shovel Knight

It's a game I wasn't sure if I would have liked, but I gave it a fair chance, got frustrated at a particularly difficult section, quit, then gave it a second chance. It's not the second coming of Christ like many have said, but it's a decent game. I am missing the key nostalgia ingredient, but I could still see where it's good, where it's great and where it's not that fantastic.

All in all I enjoyed it. I got out of it what I wanted: an old style 2D platformer that would challenge me and make me think about 2D games more. I'd recommend it, but there are plenty of people out there already doing that. Still, good game.

It's been a little while since I finished a game but most recently I finished Stranger's Wrath and really liked it. The way the structure changes near the end felt fresh, the twist was pretty cool, and I really loved the ammo system and wish more games had more stuff like it. While I enjoyed the idea of FPS/3D platformer hybrid, there really just wasn't much to the platforming that stood out at all. It wasn't bad or anything it was just like...there and imo it kinda felt like the FPS stuff was prioritized over platforming. 

Stranger's Wrath remains one of my favorite all time games.  Such a classic.  Did they ever get the PC version sorted out?  I had heard pretty terrible things about the port when it was first released.

Stranger's Wrath remains one of my favorite all time games.  Such a classic.  Did they ever get the PC version sorted out?  I had heard pretty terrible things about the port when it was first released.

I played the PC version and didn't have a single problem!!! 

They upgraded it to the "HD" version a while back, but yeah it was broken at launch. Didn't run at all for me. Seems to work fine now though.  :tup:

I finally finished the third Professor Layton game, I was like 10 or so puzzles from the end whenever I last played it (probably when it came out). I really liked it probably my favorite of the three I've played. I guess I'll try and track down the 4th one now.