gdf

Recently completed video games

Enemy Within adds some cool stuff but, at its core, it's still pretty much the same game. Depending on how you're feeling about that, you might want to take a short break.

Enemy Within adds some cool stuff but, at its core, it's still pretty much the same game. Depending on how you're feeling about that, you might want to take a short break.

Well, there'll be a short break. I'm playing through The Bureau, which in spite of all the hate it got is pretty decent so far. Want to finish a couple other games I've started too, but it will be pretty soon that I play EW. It scratched an itch that I'd been wanting scratched for a while.

Well, there'll be a short break. I'm playing through The Bureau, which in spite of all the hate it got is pretty decent so far. Want to finish a couple other games I've started too, but it will be pretty soon that I play EW. It scratched an itch that I'd been wanting scratched for a while.

Haha, the Bureau, the rare game I thought was so bad it was awesome (I think I have an uncommon opinion on that game).  There's a thread here where I wrote a bunch about what I thought about it, including a bunch of spoilery stuff about the story.  I'd be curious to see what your reaction is. 

Haha, the Bureau, the rare game I thought was so bad it was awesome (I think I have an uncommon opinion on that game).  There's a thread here where I wrote a bunch about what I thought about it, including a bunch of spoilery stuff about the story.  I'd be curious to see what your reaction is. 

I'm going to avoid the ending spoiler stuff for now since I've only completed the... 1st or second mission after the tutorial? I read your first impressions and I'm definitely on the same page. Going to have to read that Polygon article about the hell this game went through. I remember writing it off when it was announced and looked like a really mediocre FPS, then it came up again recently when I was looking at some stuff for my EU playthrough. I was surprised it had some, while not glowing, still pretty positive responses from people, so I figured, at $8, why not. It's also a pretty short game from what I've heard? Something like 10 hours through?

Well, if it was scratching the itch, there's always Long War http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/?

I finished Far Cry 2. I really enjoyed the experience overall and the combat encounters never failed to get my heart racing. However, near the end of the game it did start to get a bit repetitive and the enjoyment of the encounters started to turn into frustration. Especially when groups of enemies frequently included a dude with a rocket launcher. Also, the story and mission structure was pretty damn bland through most of the game so when the excitement of the combat encounters started to wane, there wasn't really much left to keep my interest. Luckily it all ended right around the time I felt like I was ready to be done with the game so I ended up feeling like I had a pretty good time with it overall.

I did! It was probably my favourite puzzle to be honest, very Layton.

Woah, I assumed no one actually solved that puzzle themselves.

I think I managed to get through the kitty hat puzzle but it was definitely on the more difficult side. For me, I'm pretty sure the area I ended up needing to use hints was in the forest with that damn, tree/wheelbarrow/pipes puzzle. 

I finished Stacking. I absolutely loved this game and everything about it. The music and silent movie aesthetic made for an absolutely delightful experience and I felt that the puzzles were varied and smartly done. I can't really think of anything bad to say about the game except that maybe I would have preferred for some of those puzzles to not have quite so many solutions because it kind of reached a point where after I found a few solutions, I didn't really have the desire to keep at it and just used a guide to get whichever ones I was missing.

I'll probably put a bit more time in tonight to finish getting 100% in the Hobo King Adventure and then it's on to Costume Quest.

I played through Never Alone in co-op with the lady this evening.  It's...okay.  I was hoping I would enjoy it more than I did.  I'm glad I bought it, I'm happy to support efforts to make games that draw on interesting cultural backgrounds and attempt to explore something different than the norm.  It's just mostly a pretty average platformer in terms of gameplay.  The animations of the girl and fox are charming as hell, and the environments are often beautiful.  And there's almost an hours worth of little documentary clips that discuss various parts of the history, ecology, lore and culture that the game draws on.  Those were all pretty fascinating. 

I just beat Obscure, which is, appropriately(?),  an obscure survival horror game. It was pretty awesome, sure it doesn't seem like nothing special, but it had an AI companion and light based combat before any other did.

Each character has a special skill, but with one character that can tell you if there is an item in the room and another giving hints.... why play as the others?

The only thing I didn't like was the ending, where I had to babysit my AI companion in the final boss battle to get the good ending. XP

I'm surprised the people who made Obscure made Final Exam, I thought it was just some other company that had the IP.

I just downloaded Obscure and Obscure 2 last night (since I finally bought them on sale a month or two ago).  Looking forward to trying them in co-op.

I also hadn't heard of Final Exam, that just got put on the wishlist.

The Final Exam is a brawler that was going to be an Obscure sequel, it's not a survival horror game at all, but I do think it takes place in the same universe, although this one is pretty cartoony and lighthearted.

I played Final Exam so long ago I wouldn't have noticed if the high school in takes places in was similar to the Obscure one or not, but I'm pretty sure the girl I met there was from the first game?

There was a point during Torchlight II where I realised I honestly just didn't care anymore, and ended-up running past monsters in the last or second-to-last dungeon just to get to the end. Speed spell, then run.

It's a good game. It's a very good game, in fact. Even when it's generic.

But it's way, way too long.

Definitely one for the multiplayer. I was enjoying it a lot more when I had someone to play it with.

Finished Mighty Switch Force. Great little nuggety game.

Am currently banging my head against the last level in 3D World. Again and again and again. So close.

The Final Exam is a brawler that was going to be an Obscure sequel, it's not a survival horror game at all, but I do think it takes place in the same universe, although this one is pretty cartoony and lighthearted.

I played Final Exam so long ago I wouldn't have noticed if the high school in takes places in was similar to the Obscure one or not, but I'm pretty sure the girl I met there was from the first game?

Yeah, it looked like Final Exam was radically different, but it's a brawler with local co-op, so I'll buy pretty much any of those unless they're just broken messes. 

How long did Obscure take you to finish?

That sounds about perfect.  The lady is nervous about playing a co-op horror game, but if it's not a huge time investment she's much more willing to give it a try. 

I finished The Unfinished Swan. Good length, cute story, and I enjoyed the mechanic. Good game.

I just beat Kirby's Dream Course, which I guess is a golf game, right? Yes, it was on VC and I had save states, but I still can't believe some of the moves I pulled...

As you apply Kirby's powers to the field you can make the most crazy combos and get a hole in one by just using the powers right. Also, there is a final boss, Mecha Dedede, because Kirby? Anyway, it was a BLAST!

I also played One Way Heroics, a rogue-like were you must keep moving left to outrun and evil force consuming the land while you fight enemies, level up and hope you survive enough to fight the Evil Lord behind all of this. I... beat it relatively easy?

Sure I had killed an endangered species and the forest rangers attacked me on sight, but... I beat only after a few tries and then I beat it with a different class almost as easily. Maybe I was lucky? *shrugs*

I beat Persona 4 Golden. I struggled with it thanks to its length - I quit one play through after 50 hours on hard, and this play through I decided to play on easy (since this game is really not about the combat) but took a break at 50 hours and came back a couple of weeks later to finish it off.

If I start out with the bad - it's too long. It gets incredibly monotonous to go through the featureless dungeons and play the same boring fights over and over. The normal enemies do not teach you how to fight bosses. You can blast through them in a turn, either hitting their weaknesses or just using powerful moves. The bosses require buffs and debuffs but there's no reason to ever use them before a boss.

Ok complaints over.

I initially got the bad ending (1/3) then took a break. This ending is fantastic, and by far the best way to end the game.

It involves jumping to conclusions, and assuming a lackey who's not making sense is the murderer. You then just leave the town in a completely hollow ending, which made me feel extremely disappointed and saddened. It makes a great statement, but I can understand why people consider it the bad ending.

I also got the true ending (3/3), which was alright. The story beats that happen aren't exactly interesting, but I enjoyed seeing the gang again and knowing the entire story.

The game makes you feel awful about having multiple relationships. Which is weird, because you're rewarded for expanding you're social links, which inevitably end up with a romance if they're with a girl.

On Valentine's Day you must choose one girl to spend the day with, and Marie (my favourite) you spend then evening with. The other girls will give you chocolate then say some pretty saddening stuff about not knowing where their boyfriend will be on Valentine's. It really affected me, despite its simplicity.

The best part of the game is the god damn styyyyle. It's what made me pick it up twice and push through the painfully boring parts. Super stylish, and despite its weaknesses is a fantastic game. Plus it's the first "real" JRPG I've ever finished.

I'd totally put some gifs to show off said style, but I'm not on my computer.

I also played One Way Heroics, a rogue-like were you must keep moving left to outrun and evil force consuming the land while you fight enemies, level up and hope you survive enough to fight the Evil Lord behind all of this. I... beat it relatively easy?

Sure I had killed an endangered species and the forest rangers attacked me on sight, but... I beat only after a few tries and then I beat it with a different class almost as easily. Maybe I was lucky? *shrugs*

I beat it after just a few tries as well.  It seemed like the real game was re-doing it with different classes, looking for secrets, finding unique maps, etc.  But ultimately I didn't find the core mechanics interesting enough to care about doing any of that. 

I just beat Kirby's Dream Course, which I guess is a golf game, right? Yes, it was on VC and I had save states, but I still can't believe some of the moves I pulled...

As you apply Kirby's powers to the field you can make the most crazy combos and get a hole in one by just using the powers right. Also, there is a final boss, Mecha Dedede, because Kirby? Anyway, it was a BLAST!

That game is great, I 100%ed everything and scored well to unlock all the levels about 5 years ago, no save states (I didn't know Virtual Console had save states?). It was really difficult and at times intensely frustrating, so I don't think I can bring myself to play it ever again. Well recommended though, it was extremely inventive.

Coincidentally enough, I recently found out the other day that it was actually rebranded as a Kirby game, originally going to be a game called Special Tee Shot. https://tcrf.net/Kirby%27s_Dream_Course#Special_Tee_Shot_Connection It later came out on the Satellaview. It appears Special Tee Shot did not make use of killing enemies and having special powers though.