gdf

Recently completed video games

-Monsterbag: a Vita game that is free if you have PS+ where the game starts as the whimsy adventures of girls and her monster backpack who tries to catch up with her when she leaves for the bus... and then the game turns dark FAST!

I'd call it a weird stealth puzzle game? The Monsterbad can only jump from person to person's back and if they are angry and looking your way, they will attack and kill you, sometimes you have to time it right, sometimes you have to use the environment and solve a puzzle to advance. It had some frustrating moments, but I really enjoyed the game!  :tup:

I gave up on it. The art style is nice but I can't see anything really worth playing throught the whole thing for.

I finally beat The Wonderful 101 and it was 101% wonderful! While I wouldn't say it's better than Bayonetta, I do think it's better than Bayonetta 2, sure the combat was as amazing as Bayonetta, but it's "Platinum-ness" was off the charts.

At first I thought it was just a more tame Platinum game, it looked a bit like a brawler crossed with Pikmin (although you barely throw you friends at enemies that much), but the more I played, the insanity and fun just grew, it sure had more "teeth" than Bayonetta 2, speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Wonder Pink was literally Bayonetta, with a hint of Draculaura.

The only downside to this game was the bomb character who was almost boring to play as and that while some enemies were weaker to some type of attacks... it was never obvious which one to use except for the whip.

I'm not kidding when I say this game is literally Chibi Bayonetta, so many elements are literally the same as in Bayonetta, I'd say the only different part is the combat, but if you buy the right items, you can even have something similar to Witch Time.

I really, REALLY loved this game!  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:

I forgot to write about it, but last weekend I beat both The Talos Principle and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I went back and forth on Talos. There were times where it really annoyed me, and others where I thought it was pretty awesome. It was also surprisingly tough to get a good framerate in, the autosense settings felt like they were giving me around 15 FPS and I had to turn down a bunch of the pretty to even get it to 30. Still, the last bit at the top of the tower was awesome and almost makes me want to play again to read all the QR codes a second time. I'm glad I didn't stress too much about the stars. I ended up with 8 and went and watched the special ending on Youtube and I would have been pretty ticked had I put all that work in and just got that. I would recommend it if you can get it for sale 

I've put some thoughts in the Dragon Age thread already, but I was pretty happy with my experience over all. I didn't get caught up too much in the grind, but didn't power through either, and I felt like I got about the right amount of "stopping to smell the roses" in. It was remarkably freeing to know ahead of time that doing everything was going to be near impossible, so I just didn't stress and did what I felt like each time I turned it on. Unfortunately, that also meant missing some pretty interesting sounding companion storylines that I might go back and do later with my pre-endgame save.

I really talk about this game, I'd even start a topic if it weren't for the fact I'm pretty sure most people here don't play VNs often, except for 999 and Danganronpa.

*eden is a "kinetic novel", which means there are no choices to make, just reading. It's a story about a soldier reassigned to protect the only scientist capable of creating an evacuation system to save the humans from an ominous red light heading straight to Earth. Being pure story, I can't really say much... it's like a Telltale game and like a TT game, I was crying like a baby at the end,

But here's the REAL interesting part....

Did you know Steam is selling censored hentai games? I was almost to afraid to look, but *eden is a censored "hentai" game. When I found out I was curious if I could notice the censorship, there was a death scene where someone was stabbed several times and the blood was removed... I don't get the point, but oh, well.

I braced for impact, waiting for some dumb censored hentai scene to ruin the story and waited, and waited... in the end I found out that the game is mostly the same, except the non-censored version has non-cannon hentai sidestories.

"Hey, remember those characters that touched the essence of your very soul? Would you like to see them defiled by our perverted minds?"

Frankly, I'm so happy this story WAS censored, I don't intend on playing the uncensored one, because this version is clearly the superior one.

The worst is the nagging doubt I have.... how many great stories have been tainted by shoehorned naughty bits? How many of these games were afraid their stories wouldn't sell if they weren't hentai? 

Damn, maybe I should have started a thread about this after all. X^P

You can say that about more than just VN's really. I like the DOA fighting system, but they felt the need to make that game about... what it's about I guess.

This is different, imagine Dead had normal breasts physics and fully clothes women, but add the bouncy breasts as some bonus mini-game. The fact that it's added as a side story is what upsets me, it shows how truly unnecessary it is, sure it's not needed in DOA either, but it's there from the start.

Did you know Steam is selling censored hentai games? I was almost to afraid to look, but *eden is a censored "hentai" game. When I found out I was curious if I could notice the censorship, there was a death scene where someone was stabbed several times and the blood was removed... I don't get the point, but oh, well.

There's probably an interesting story or two to be told about the censored-hentai game industry. I played a censored version of Knights of Xentar years and years ago.

I forgot to write about it, but last weekend I beat both The Talos Principle and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I went back and forth on Talos. There were times where it really annoyed me, and others where I thought it was pretty awesome. It was also surprisingly tough to get a good framerate in, the autosense settings felt like they were giving me around 15 FPS and I had to turn down a bunch of the pretty to even get it to 30. Still, the last bit at the top of the tower was awesome and almost makes me want to play again to read all the QR codes a second time. I'm glad I didn't stress too much about the stars. I ended up with 8 and went and watched the special ending on Youtube and I would have been pretty ticked had I put all that work in and just got that. I would recommend it if you can get it for sale.

I have one star to go (I know how to get it, I just decided to do it later) and I feel like the star puzzles actually add a lot to the story. You get a better sense of one of the other characters, and the gameplay really compliments the theme of questioning your assumptions. Only a few stars involve doing the puzzle just a little bit more efficiently; most of the time, the stars are about finding ways to subvert what you're "supposed" to do, taking the world as it exists and not how you assume it should be.

Forgot to mention this, but the star ending also has another part to it:

You appear in your Steam friends' games as a messenger of El0him, which means you'll appear if they unlock hints, or ask for one. I think it's cool.

I stalled out 3/4 of the way through Wonderful 101. I should really pop in that disc and finish it up, I was loving it a tonne. The levels always felt a bit too long for their own good (and too long between checkpoints), but the STYLE man, THE STYLE.

Just wrapped up A Link Between Worlds. It was a little refreshing doing things in whatever order I pleased, but the game's difficulty wasn't really up to par. Puzzle-wise it was certainly interesting, but the moment I caught on to whatever any given dungeon's gimmick was, it ended up being a breeze. Turtle Rock was probably the most 'difficult.' Though it was more of a matter of not wanting to miss anything before progressing. Combat-wise the hardest fight was certainly the last, which is fine, but it was a sudden punch up in difficulty compared to how the game had been.

Edit - Derp, hit post too early. But yeah overall, I liked it. The ending was actually WAY more satisfying than I would've guessed.

Just wrapped up A Link Between Worlds. It was a little refreshing doing things in whatever order I pleased, but the game's difficulty wasn't really up to par. Puzzle-wise it was certainly interesting, but the moment I caught on to whatever any given dungeon's gimmick was, it ended up being a breeze. Turtle Rock was probably the most 'difficult.' Though it was more of a matter of not wanting to miss anything before progressing. Combat-wise the hardest fight was certainly the last, which is fine, but it was a sudden punch up in difficulty compared to how the game had been.

Edit - Derp, hit post too early. But yeah overall, I liked it. The ending was actually WAY more satisfying than I would've guessed.

I've just finished this game in the past few days too, and I really enjoyed it. There wasn't all that much difficulty to it but I really liked the way the world opened up and let you tackle it in any order. I din't know how much the difficulty changes on the Hero Mode option that opens up once you finish - I think I remember seeing some comments that the difficulty really steps up on that mode. I'm not sure how interested I am in replaying so soon after the first playthrough though. 

I just beat Broken Age: Act 2, I talk about it more on the appropriate thread, but it was AMAZING!

I've just finished this game in the past few days too, and I really enjoyed it. There wasn't all that much difficulty to it but I really liked the way the world opened up and let you tackle it in any order. I din't know how much the difficulty changes on the Hero Mode option that opens up once you finish - I think I remember seeing some comments that the difficulty really steps up on that mode. I'm not sure how interested I am in replaying so soon after the first playthrough though. 

I also kept hearing this, that the hero mode offers a way more satisfying challenge for veteran players, but Nintendo's damned insistence on only offering difficulty options upon game completion put me in your exact situation, i didn't want to dive back in on what was a fairly lengthy game immediately after finishing it.

Regardless, ALBW is pretty terrific, i feel.

I just finished Kirby Star Stacker on Super Game Boy. I don't feel like I've finished a game in months and months, everything I have in progress is either too hard (Cave Story) or takes fucking forever (Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Rayman Legends getting Lvl. 11 Awesomeness, Peacewalker, and Layton 4).

I unplugged the cable for my SNES to finish off my 64 games (Smash, Dr. Mario 64, and Paper Mario(Yes, have officially finished none of these ever)), but then I will go back to SNES and finish the multiude of games on that and then get to Super Metroid and then join the Metroid Fusion winners club afterwards.

I still have prime 2&3 to do, but man I hate the wiimote. Or more specifically, my wrist hates the wiimote.

Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) - I never had a PC growing up, I went straight from a Spectrum to the 16-bit consoles and never looked back so the entire point and click genre passed me by completely. The only one I had ever played prior to this was the Monkey Island remake on the 360 from about 2009 which I enjoyed and completed and having heard so much about this over the years I was eager to finally play it in a convenient fashion.

I thought it was mostly excellent bar a few wee niggles. The tank controls are shite, not that tank controls always are, but in this the analog stick is waaaay too sensitive and Manny frequently freaks out and turns 180 degrees for no reason if you try to run everywhere. Objects sometimes turn invisible which is understandably inconvenient. The music is pretty overbearing in places (sorry) and I found it difficult to navigate the bigger areas sometimes as it wasn't entirely clear there was an exit at certain points, and when the screen flipped it could sometimes place you somewhere that was seemingly at odds with where you'd come from. I found the cat race stadium in Rubacava to be bad for this and there were a couple of puzzles I got stuck on that when I looked up I simply hadn't found the screen the item needed to progress was on. That's maybe me though. Also there were a few puzzles towards the end that were a bit weak and some more that I solved by accident and didn't understand even after I'd done them which was a bit weird.

Personality goes a long way though as we know and the humour and style of this is still pretty amazing so many years later, there are very few games I would ever exhaust all dialogue options on and listen to the VO rather than skip through and read the subs but I did that here as the writing and voicework are phenomenal. Graphically it looks pretty swell too (I played in original mode as it gels better with the backgrounds) and the times I did work out a puzzle I thought was hard like the cat race ticket stub one I felt like a genius and got a belated glimpse of why people liked these games. Very much enjoyed it and will go back and play through again with the commentary as the few bits I heard made it sound well done.

Now Broken Age and then if I'm not utterly sick of adventure games by then I'd like to go back and play Monkey Island 2 which I've started 3 or 4 times and never got past the first island of.

You did the cat puzzle without looking it up?! Congratulations, sir! I nearly gave up myself back then and cheated until I happened to hear a certain announcement while racking my brain.

I did! It was probably my favourite puzzle to be honest, very Layton. I'm thinking about it now and have absolutely no recollection of the working behind it less than a week later  :lol:

I just beat A Wizard's Lizard, a rogue-like twin-stick shooter like the Binding of Isaac and is a lot like it... and Zelda and a bit like Rogue Legcay too?

A wizard's has discovered a potion that can stop Death, so... Death kidnaps him, as the lizard familiar you must try to rescue him. As you rescue villagers you will have more funds before beginning the trip and you'll find blueprints of item you'll be able to purchase before you start your journey.

The game has a few secrets to areas with better treasure and blueprints and special items to unlock other characters.

The most unique thing about this game is how it deals with death, when you die, you become a ghost and now you have to fight normal enemies AND ghost enemies to progress, you can resurrect within a red circle, but they are very rare. Some items can only be picked up in ghost or corporeal form, but those are mostly special items for unlocking characters. If you die as a ghost, it's game over.

Not only do you have a limited special attack that uses soul orbs, you have a totem that comes in various forms and shoots projectiles for a while and then you must wait until it's charged again. Since your equipment can effect the totems strength, you can make a ridiculously powerful totem.

The game is harsh, but not exactly like Isaac sine the drops will never do anything negative, but in the end I could only defeat the final boss by... pausing like a madman... I haven't used that trick since the SNES...  :getmecoat

I completed Hack'n'Slash! There's a core of a good idea there, but man they make you work hard to get to it. The art is... meh, there's a platforming element but it's not super clear where your hitbox is, and the dialog is annoying. The bad part though, is how much effort they go to in order obfuscate the programming. I mean, I've programmed in a few different languages, but they use colored gems for some variables some of which look kinda the same on the background color, and they don't tell you what a majority of the functions actually do which makes it really easy to crash the game and have to revert to a save.

The idea excited me, but I guess it just wasn't technical enough for me, but is probably too technical for the majority of players.

Finally finished XCOM Enemy Unknown. Definitely what I wanted to play recently, and I'll be jumping right into Enemy Within in the next little bit.