gdf

Recently completed video games

I saw "RTwP" the other day. Took me a while to figure out.

Real Time with Pause

I beat CounterSpy a randomly generated stealth espionage game. There is a cold war brewing between "Not Russia" and "Not USA" and you have to steal plans from both sides to stop them from making a big mistake.

The DEFCON level for each side is like a life system, if it gets too high... Game Over. You can threaten a high ranking officer to lower the DEFCON level, but it will only do so if he's alone with nobody to protect him.

Each level can have either plans you'll need to stop the catastrophe, blueprints for weapons, intel or a part of a formula.

With the intel you can buy new weapons, like a stealth shotgun or a gun that shoots darts that make enemies fight for you for a while. The formulas only work for one missions and do things like give you more resistance, make your shots pierce armor and that sort of thing.

The stealth works well enough, you can sneak up to enemies, silencers from a cover and you know it's your fault when you mess up. I really enjoyed it!  :tup:

I beat CounterSpy a randomly generated stealth espionage game. There is a cold war brewing between "Not Russia" and "Not USA" and you have to steal plans from both sides to stop them from making a big mistake.

The DEFCON level for each side is like a life system, if it gets too high... Game Over. You can threaten a high ranking officer to lower the DEFCON level, but it will only do so if he's alone with nobody to protect him.

Each level can have either plans you'll need to stop the catastrophe, blueprints for weapons, intel or a part of a formula.

With the intel you can buy new weapons, like a stealth shotgun or a gun that shoots darts that make enemies fight for you for a while. The formulas only work for one missions and do things like give you more resistance, make your shots pierce armor and that sort of thing.

The stealth works well enough, you can sneak up to enemies, silencers from a cover and you know it's your fault when you mess up. I really enjoyed it!  :tup:

I started on that last night. Really enjoyed the couple levels I played. Big fan of the visual style.

I beat Gunman Clive aka Cowboy Mega Man aka This Game is Two Dollars You Should Buy it as part of my backlog reduction program. Really fun little jump 'n' shoot-man game and holy crap does it go in a weird direction toward the end.

That looked pretty cool when GB took a look at it. Glad to hear that it shaped up well.

I beat Gunman Clive aka Cowboy Mega Man aka This Game is Two Dollars You Should Buy it as part of my backlog reduction program. Really fun little jump 'n' shoot-man game and holy crap does it go in a weird direction toward the end.

I have almost bought it a dozen times, so I'm glad to see someone here recommend it. 

I beat CounterSpy a randomly generated stealth espionage game.

I came really close to buying this on release, but I found out that it's impossible to do a "ghost run" and not shoot everyone. Put me off, but now it's on PS+ so there's no reason to not give it a go.

After I've fulfilled my almost insatiable desire to play HELLDIVERS

Well, since it is randomly generated ghosting is not easy, being 2D the best you can do is take them out silently, which like I said before can also be a challenge since it's randomly generated, it's more about preventing them from raising an alarm than "ghosting" it.

Tegan, did you play the PC or iOS version of Gunman Clive? I found the iOS had terrible controls that made it harder than necessary, while the PC version is almost easy since I can actually control the character. :P

I'm guessing she played the 3DS version. I own it but haven't played it, guess I should get around to it.

Well, since it is randomly generated ghosting is not easy, being 2D the best you can do is take them out silently, which like I said before can also be a challenge since it's randomly generated, it's more about preventing them from raising an alarm than "ghosting" it.

I've been playing and I can't say that it feels like a stealth game. It's just moving from shooting gallery to shooting gallery with a cool theme. It's certainly not something that revolves around stealth, and to me that just feels like an after thought, as if they had a game where you move in 2D to reach a 3D shooting space, and decided to slap a halfassed stealth mechanic on it. 

It's an OK game, but it's an awful stealth game.

Tegan, did you play the PC or iOS version of Gunman Clive? I found the iOS had terrible controls that made it harder than necessary, while the PC version is almost easy since I can actually control the character. :P

The 3DS version.

Also, I beat Rogue Legacy.

nTvys8o.jpg

Really satisfying podcast game. Just something I can tune out and play without really having to pay attention to what was going on. I kinda wanna fill out the upgrade tree since I was so very close to finishing it.

YDuTCqP.jpg

I just ran through Super Mario World for the dozenth or so time, and save scummed my way through Super Mario Bros, just because it was there on Mario All-Stars and I was curious about the last 10 or so levels I never saw.

I was surprised by the presence of more puzzling levels, like the last one where you have to figure out which way through the level it wants you to traverse. I remember being impressed by that in Chocolate Island 2 when I first played Super Mario World, I had no idea it had been in the series the whole time.

Now I think I wanna go back to Super Mario World and get 100% of the exits. In all my time playing that game, I never could beat Star World.

Now I think I wanna go back to Super Mario World and get 100% of the exits. In all my time playing that game, I never could beat Star World.

Was it Tubular that does it to you? That fucking level blows.

I finished Metal Gear Solid for the first time! I dunno whether you've heard of it (it's pretty indie, the graphics looked purposefully crappy, like it's on the PS1, even though I played it on the PS3! I think it was a budgeting reason, because there was loads of voice acting) It's a super good game guys! I think you should all go out and play it.

Was it Tubular that does it to you? That fucking level blows.

Fuck that level! But it's not a Star Road level, it's a Special level.

But Tubular and the secret Cheese Bridge exit are the worst parts of the game.

Fuck that level! But it's not a Star Road level, it's a Special level.

But Tubular and the secret Cheese Bridge exit are the worst parts of the game.

That's fair. I always think of it as part of Star Road but I guess you are technically teleported to the Special Levels from that last star that opens up when you get the secret exit in each of the other star road levels.

The Cheese Bridge one is hard at first but once you figure out where you need to drop down so that you can avoid the saws and get under the first goal post, it is pretty easy to repeat consistently. Tubular is just a pain in the ass every fucking time.

Just finished off Sleeping Dogs, overall i feel like i've just watched a solid but unremarkable Hong Kong action movie. Combat was quite fun, both with & without guns (though unremarkable in either), i liked the setting it felt messy and organic in a way that a lot of video game city's don't. Was a good game to just spend some time travelling (driving model felt nicely arcadey and responsive while not silly) about collecting stuff, my big gripe with it however comes with how you unlock the map locations for those collectibles. I mean come on really was there any need to make sleeping with around with different woman the only way to unlock collectibles map positions.

That's fair. I always think of it as part of Star Road but I guess you are technically teleported to the Special Levels from that last star that opens up when you get the secret exit in each of the other star road levels.

The Cheese Bridge one is hard at first but once you figure out where you need to drop down so that you can avoid the saws and get under the first goal post, it is pretty easy to repeat consistently. Tubular is just a pain in the ass every fucking time.

The worst part of Tubular is schlepping all the way to a level with a feather and back every time I die, which is all the time. I want to do this without save scumming so I can say I did but since lives don't really matter in Super Mario World I think I'm just gonna make a save state where I start the level with two feathers.

I beat La Mulana EX, that game is brutal, unforgiving and a total bastard.... And yet I love it! I realized that this game has a lot of love and good design in it, these people knew what they were doing, it's not like other "retro hardcore" games that just fill the rooms with spikes and make you die in one hit or enemies that just push into spikes, this game seems to have balances perfectly the punishment levels so it actually feels doable... Ok, some bosses made me pulls my hair out and some puzzles are ridiculous even with a guide, but it actually feels right in this case.

A part of me is very minimally tempted to try "Hell Temple", an even more brutal level for a final reward, but... I do have some shreds of sanity left after playing this game.

Just finished Dragon Age: Inquisition. I honestly didn't think I'd find the motivation necessary to sink that much time into anything. I was a completionist (as much as I could be) so my final play time was somewhere north of 120 hours.

That post-credits scene threw me for a loop though. Kinda forces you to recontextualize a lot of stuff and gets me excited for DLC/DA4.

I beat La Mulana EX, that game is brutal, unforgiving and a total bastard.... And yet I love it! I realized that this game has a lot of love and good design in it, these people knew what they were doing, it's not like other "retro hardcore" games that just fill the rooms with spikes and make you die in one hit or enemies that just push into spikes, this game seems to have balances perfectly the punishment levels so it actually feels doable... Ok, some bosses made me pulls my hair out and some puzzles are ridiculous even with a guide, but it actually feels right in this case.

A part of me is very minimally tempted to try "Hell Temple", an even more brutal level for a final reward, but... I do have some shreds of sanity left after playing this game.

I watched La Mulana played at one of the Games Done Quick marathons and was extremely intimidated by it.  It looks interesting and good but man.

I finally finished Dragon Age Origins and every last piece of DLC. It was pretty good and I liked most of the story and character dialog stuff but wasn't the biggest fan of the combat. My main character was a rogue archer and I had a really difficult time getting through a lot of the fights. I got to the point where I literally just saved my game every 50 steps or so because there were so many goddamn fights that I kept wiping on. The micromanagement and the amount of pausing that I had to do to get through a lot of them just wore me down and by the end of it, I found myself dreading every time an encounter started. And of course, I wrapped everything up with the hardest boss fight of all which was the final boss of the Golems of Amgarrak DLC. I spent well over an hour on that fight and had to look up a strategy for how to beat it before finally taking it down.

So yeah, it was a good game and I liked it but I would have liked it a hell of a lot more had the combat not been such a chore. I have a feeling I might be one of those people that will enjoy DA2 because I could really go for some of this stuff being a bit more streamlined.

I watched La Mulana played at one of the Games Done Quick marathons and was extremely intimidated by it.  It looks interesting and good but man.

As much as I love La-Mulana, I must say.... FLEE, YOU FOOL! HEED MY WARNING! DO NOT ENTER LA-MULANA!

*babbles in La-Mulanese incoherent*

*cries into a fetal position*