gdf

Recently completed video games

Dark Souls 2 finaly completed. .I'm not sure if I could even compare it to Dark Souls 1. All I can say is that I had a really good time, but it might have been a bit too long and started to drag at the end. I don't see myself playing through again, while I'm still tempted to back to Dark Souls 1 again, if that says anything.

PixelJunk Eden is pretty good.

It's not great, though, because they ran out of ideas and started making levels that don't work well with the mechanics. Garden 7, the gravity switching level, and Garden 8, the horizontal level, are big offenders. If I was going to give it stars, I would give it 3 and a half stars.

I loved the aesthetic, music and ideas in Eden, but it is the one PixelJunk game that I haven't been able to stick with.  I've tried twice, and just gave up on Garden 2 or 3. 

I beat KotOR 2 yesterday, after a whopping 38 hours. Glad to see the back of it, to be quite honest! I was enjoying it loads at the start, did Dantooine first when the game branched out and enjoyed that area, but my interest started to drop off at Nar Shaddar (some awful bugs here really didn't help matters). By the time I got to the final area I was just hoping for a big floating quest marker to point me directly towards the boss and the end credits.

I think the most annoying flaw with KotOR 2 (which I really liked) is that one of the characters seems to suggest that the "neutral" path was the most sensible. That neither going good or bad makes you a better Jedi/Force user/Whatever. But if you try to do that, you get diddly squat. All the cool bonuses (and if I remember rightly, class upgrades) require you to be mostly good, or mostly bad. I didn't want to be either good or bad, I wanted to be neutral. Seemed more fun to do a bad thing if it benefited me (rather than sometimes you can do something evil for evil's sake) and the same with good deeds. Not the paragon of virtue, nor the evil jerkface the game makes you play as.

Still, the bit when you crash down using the basilisk and storm the strong hold was really cool. Thinking back on it, I really liked that game. Same with KotOR. Anyone play Jade Empire? I really wanted that for my Xbox, but I couldn't afford it at the time, and forgot about it.

Let's talk Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I beat it, sort of, I got to the final boss, got super annoyed, and then watched the ending on YouTube. The Let's Player who posted the video said it took him two and a half hours to beat the boss, so no regrets there. 

I had a pretty solid moment of revelation with this game. The boss fight against Monsoon, the cyborg who splits himself into pieces, really forces you to get a hang of the parry system, and the game really took an upwards swing from there. The bosses following Monsoon make good use of parrying too. But then I realize this game does a lot to sabotage the beauty that is parrying attacks. I never really figured out how to fight the Gekkos or Mastiffs. There are a lot of un-parryable attacks in the game, especially in that last boss. 

The game does a lot of good stuff, but it's also its own worst enemy. Doesn't explain itself well, and doesn't always make the best sue of its combat systems.

I know exactly what you mean about that last boss. The best way to be able to get at him is to basically go back and replay the last two levels until you have enough health kits to tackle him. I still struggled a lot and his attacks on normal are devastating - not to mention that he can heal himself and quickly becomes really, really irritating.

Hope you found the tutorial I linked helpful.

Yeah that tutorial was good for telling me that I had indeed correctly understood how to use the parry mechanic, and also that yellow attacks are unblockable, but like I said, the Monsoon fight was really where I got a hang of the mechanic.

I think the most annoying flaw with KotOR 2 (which I really liked) is that one of the characters seems to suggest that the "neutral" path was the most sensible. That neither going good or bad makes you a better Jedi/Force user/Whatever. But if you try to do that, you get diddly squat. All the cool bonuses (and if I remember rightly, class upgrades) require you to be mostly good, or mostly bad. I didn't want to be either good or bad, I wanted to be neutral. Seemed more fun to do a bad thing if it benefited me (rather than sometimes you can do something evil for evil's sake) and the same with good deeds. Not the paragon of virtue, nor the evil jerkface the game makes you play as.

Still, the bit when you crash down using the basilisk and storm the strong hold was really cool. Thinking back on it, I really liked that game. Same with KotOR. Anyone play Jade Empire? I really wanted that for my Xbox, but I couldn't afford it at the time, and forgot about it.

Welcome to pretty much every moral choice game ever. It sucks.

I actually really want to play Jade Empire, I own it on PC so I guess I should give it a try.

I liked Jade Empire, but I've never played Kotors because STAR WARS SUCKS, so I can't really offer a comparison of any sort.

EDIT: SICK FIRST POST ON A NEW PAGE, TWIG. YEAH.

Oddly enough I think Papers Please is the game I think of that avoids the extreme morality trap, it's all about being neutral really.

I liked Jade Empire, but I've never played Kotors because STAR WARS SUCKS, so I can't really offer a comparison of any sort.

EDIT: SICK FIRST POST ON A NEW PAGE, TWIG. YEAH.

KOTOR is a highly lauded and revered game because it's awesome and so is Star Wars.

This post for some reason makes me sad that I didn't stick with Icewind Dale. I'm pretty sure I was put off by the graphics because they only supported ((low graphics resolution)) and I was a spoiled baby who needed the beauty of 1024x768.

Anyone play Jade Empire? I really wanted that for my Xbox, but I couldn't afford it at the time, and forgot about it.

I actually really want to play Jade Empire, I own it on PC so I guess I should give it a try.

I played it four years ago, maybe, and really liked it. It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, at least in terms of its professed genre: the RPG character-building and the combat system are pretty spare, as is the plot, come to think of it. But the setting and characters are really great and I would recommend it to people who like the Bioware "formula" but are starting to tire of it.

While I agree in general that Star Wars sucks, Twig, I'd still give KotOR a shot. For whatever reason, Star Wars has always appealed far more to me as a video game than as a movie. While the movies bore the hell out of me, I have a lot of affection for the Jedi Knight and KotOR series. They're actually just really good games.

KOTOR is a highly lauded and revered game because it's awesome and so is Star Wars.

This post for some reason makes me sad that I didn't stick with Icewind Dale. I'm pretty sure I was put off by the graphics because they only supported ((low graphics resolution)) and I was a spoiled baby who needed the beauty of 1024x768.

Icewind Dale was so good.  Except that I got to the final boss and died over and over again.  After not playing the game for months I finally put in some cheat codes to max out my characters' levels.  STILL COULDN'T BEAT HIM.  My 15 year old brain just wasn't up to the task.  This is why I am forever and always happy that youtubing an ending is possible these days, because wasting time being mad at being completely incapable of finishing a game is stupid.  So I suppose I just "finished" Icewind Dale as I finally just watched someone beat the final boss and play the ending cinematic.  Only took me 14 years!!  :D :D :D

Tried out KOTOR about a year ago.  Seemed fine, but it really did seem like I needed to care about Star Wars to get into it at this point.

What crazy alternate universe did you drop out of?

Miffy: I own it and have tried to play it a couple times, and by tried I mean once it just wouldn't run and once I got bored at all the Star Wars crap I had to suffer through in the first ten minutes.

KotOR II is basically Chris Avellone's personal critique of Star Wars. It doesn't blissfully indulge in every SW trope, but instead picks them apart (a lot of people hated it for that). It's the least "Star Warsey" SW story ever told. I also think it has one of the best written characters in any game and is worth playing for that alone. I don't want to exaggerate the overall quality of the writing, it's a big game and you're going to find some bad lines in there if you look for them, but it made me reflect on its story more than any other game has. The downside is that all it has to say has to do with Star Wars and not the world we live in.

Icewind Dale was so good.  

Oh hell yes. Recently got a copy of it again and really need to play through it. I think that was one of my first PC games, actually.

There's a few that don't fall into this. FNV, both Witcher games, Deus Ex HR, 

edit: Jedi Knight 2 is pretty good

What crazy alternate universe did you drop out of?

Miffy: I own it and have tried to play it a couple times, and by tried I mean once it just wouldn't run and once I got bored at all the Star Wars crap I had to suffer through in the first ten minutes.

One where I beat TIE Fighter 4 times and can blissfully ignore the 3 useless movies and embrace all the other cool stuff about Star Wars.

I don't even know what "all the Star Wars crap" means! They have to introduce you to the game in the first 10 minutes.

I've been sloooowly playing through icewind dale recently after picking it up in one of those gog everything-DnD package deals a while back.  With a widescreen mod that lets you pick a higher resolution, the graphics hold up remarkably well; I guess because they're mostly static 2d backdrops.  

There are non-useless Star Wars movies?!

Well, I mean, if you really want to get into it, what is the use of any movie?

But steering the topic back to games, I never got very far in KotoR. The first time I installed it, after every combat my guy was glued to the floor and could not move. I would have to save, exit the game, and start it again to walk around some more, only to be stopped when I engaged in another combat. So that sucked, I uninstalled.

Then the second time, I installed it again, and this time I didn't have the same problem. (I don't know what happened before, but whatever.) Anyways, I never made it off the first planet. It just felt boring to me and I sucked at it and was stuck in an area where I was going to get mowed down by bad guys and I had no healing stuff left and... ugh. Its a point I find myself in in a few RPGs that just ruins the experience for me, where I can't move forward at all and I can't go back to regroup so I just give up.

Normally I'd be thinking that, but it was how a character specifically told you not to be too good or too evil. No moral choice game I've come across has that. Thee were even some robes in the game called the Grey Jedi Robes (I think) that supported the neutral alignment, giving you a small bonus, again, not something I've seen in a moral choice game.