gdf

Recently completed video games

Lifeless Planet :tmeh:

An exploration game on a planet which is quite lifeless. Barren in fact. There's a lot of walking, and not much to see or explore for that matter. There are two stories which develop while you're exploring the world (one related to the character, the other to the world). The world story is sort of interesting, but requires searching for diary "pages", which can mean you miss part of the story.

The game also contains a lot of platforming, which the shitty controls this is really a pain. Expect to redo jump sequences a lot, and die quite a bit.

The game would have been much better without the jumping stuff, and with more stuff to explore rather than walking a very long predetermined path.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at sea :tup:

So this DLC comes in 1 parts. The first part is BioShock Infinite in rapture. You play again as Booker except now you fight bioshock guys. There's no adam stuff going on. The second part you play as Elizabeth, and thus you have a different play style. As Elizabeth I played completely stealth, and didn't kill anybody (people did die due to possessed enemies.), except until the end where the game forced me to kill some enemies. As Elizabeth you are by yourself (with voices in your head), where the Booker part you are accompanied by Elizabeth.

Visiting Rapture again was great, and the change of gameplay in the second part was also great. Story-wise this DLC is supposed to link the bioshock games and complete the circle.

Wife and I finished up Guacamelee in co-op, or at least as much of it as we could in co-op.  About 80 percent of it is a great game, but 20 percent is made of pure bullshit, at least if you want to co-op the game.  There are a few platforming sections where the difficulty spikes way the hell up, like in one case to literal Super Meat Boy inspired design.  These areas are impossible to do with 2 people, which is just really disappointing when you hit an area and then one person has to drop out because you're never going to get it done with two people. 

Other than those late game areas though, loved the game. 

Wife and I finished up Guacamelee in co-op, or at least as much of it as we could in co-op.  About 80 percent of it is a great game, but 20 percent is made of pure bullshit, at least if you want to co-op the game.  There are a few platforming sections where the difficulty spikes way the hell up, like in one case to literal Super Meat Boy inspired design.  These areas are impossible to do with 2 people, which is just really disappointing when you hit an area and then one person has to drop out because you're never going to get it done with two people. 

Other than those late game areas though, loved the game. 

I didn't play it in co-op but I actually felt the same about the extra hard last few unlockable things. Though I also didn't bother beating the final boss, cause I was terrible and the combat wasn't what kept me interested in the game.

I felt the Guacamelee platforming was pretty easy unless you went for all the optional side stuff, but... I'm good at platformers, so my judgment may be skewed. I didn't find the optional stuff all that difficult, either. I'm the worst. I definitely wouldn't compare it to Super Meat Boy! Inspired by, I can see, but in terms of actual difficulty, I don't know.

I didn't play it in co-op but I actually felt the same about the extra hard last few unlockable things. Though I also didn't bother beating the final boss, cause I was terrible and the combat wasn't what kept me interested in the game.

The last boss would be tough by yourself I imagine, we only got through it by making sure that one of us stayed alive by alternating who was being aggressive and who was being defensive, letting the other person have plenty of time to respawn.

I felt the Guacamelee platforming was pretty easy unless you went for all the optional side stuff, but... I'm good at platformers, so my judgment may be skewed. I didn't find the optional stuff all that difficult, either. I'm the worst. I definitely wouldn't compare it to Super Meat Boy! Inspired by, I can see, but in terms of actual difficulty, I don't know.

The one area I was thinking about there was getting through the Tree Top, where there is a section of pretty tight platforming that requires you to dodge and maneuver through spinning blades that are very reminiscent of the blades from Meat Boy. 

The main game was pretty simple, I'm talking about 100%ing it. I kinda tried but the last optional ones were catching me a bit. I think I could have done them, but after a point the repeated attempts weren't worth continuing.

Yeah I think the Tree Top was completely optional, and it's also what I was thinking you were referring to with the SMB comparison! That was the hardest part of the game, though, for sure. Well, I actually think I had more trouble with the combat trial towers, but that's possibly way EASIER in co-op, and also combat is never my strong suit in any game, heh.

I thought the platforming was a little clunky, there were a few too many different inputs/moves to keep track of. I prefer more minimalist design where the challenge doesn't lie in hitting the right button combination. I felt the same way about the combat actually, dimension swapping plus three or four different colour shields was too much. Making something more complex doesn't always make it more interesting.

I think some of the platforming is a bit difficult, but I'm with Twig.  I found it annoying at times but got through it without too much difficulty.  I actually found some of it pretty interesting, it's just unexpected given what the rest of the game is like.

I just played Gone Home for the first time today. It's pretty refreshing to play game that has a relatable story(young love, teen defiance and experiencing new, memorable things). This has been said a million times but some games like to boast about having huge open worlds that end being a lot of filler (oh another forest almost nothing interesting in it) so the fact that Gone Home is really small but done in such incredible detail is right up my alley. One thing that detracted from me just going at a more desired pace and really taking everything in was the looming thought that something conventionally scary would happen as I'm someone who gets really scared playing Half-Life. I kind of liked it in the beginning when it was just you walking into dark rooms trying to find the light switch and the house occasionally making sounds because that's something I'm used to in real life. Then the game started throwing in stuff like ghost hunting, the guy who lived there before and died and other paranormal related things. So I was on pins and needles for the latter half of the game.

I think some of the platforming is a bit difficult, but I'm with Twig.  I found it annoying at times but got through it without too much difficulty.  I actually found some of it pretty interesting, it's just unexpected given what the rest of the game is like.

Pro gamers REPRESENT.

The rest of y'all SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES.

Pro gamers REPRESENT.

The rest of y'all SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES.

NUH UH. Have you seen my gamerscore?

(I don't have a gamerscore)

I thought the difficulty in Guacamelee was really well balanced except for the boss fight. That guy was just pure bullshit. The rest of the game was really tight and fun though, just enough challenge.

I thought the platforming was a little clunky, there were a few too many different inputs/moves to keep track of. I prefer more minimalist design where the challenge doesn't lie in hitting the right button combination. I felt the same way about the combat actually, dimension swapping plus three or four different colour shields was too much. Making something more complex doesn't always make it more interesting.

That really nails my biggest issues with the harder platforming stuff.  It didn't bother me in combat so much, but did in platforming.  I particular found it super easy to mess up the upward punch and the side dash when needing to react quickly while jumping. 

I finished that game using the keyboard, y'all.  Those later platforming sections felt like playing twister on a tightrope my fingers would get so jumbled and nervous.

Guacamelee's plaforming at the end felt tacked on, like a challenge for challenge's sake.  Then again, the majority of the world outside of the towns felt like colorful corridors rather than meaningful spaces, so upping the frustration level at the end just underlined the abstraction, bringing with it a shade of meaninglessness.

edit: great, top of the page braggart.  :(

I thought the difficulty in Guacamelee was really well balanced except for the boss fight. That guy was just pure bullshit. The rest of the game was really tight and fun though, just enough challenge.

Word on the street is that the original design of the boss was actually a lot harder, and the released version was toned down. But thats also the point where I quit the game.

I beat Divinity:Dragon Commander this weekend. I took a break after Act 2, which was a hell of a challenge. Unfortunately, I must have taken too long to beat Act 2 because I'd already exhausted all of the character storylines, so Act 3 just had a bunch of law choices without any character development at all. Thankfully, using all I learned in Act 2, I stomped Act 3 in a few hours. Still it definitely ended on a bit of a flat note.

Also, the lizard wife is a crazy lady. Both ends to her story are horrible.

Word on the street is that the original design of the boss was actually a lot harder, and the released version was toned down. But thats also the point where I quit the game.

Given that I had very little difficulty with the rest of the game but spent an hour retrying that boss fight before I beat him, that may be the craziest thing I've heard this week.

I wonder if it was a case of them becoming so good at the game over time they didn't realize how hard it was until they brought in fresh playtesters.  The first phase of that fight is so tight that if the boss were even a quarter second faster, he'd be almost impossible to kill. 

I beat the story mode in Injustice: Gods Among Us and it's pretty annoying that the game has 2.1 chapters dedicated to Batman and the the Batman of the "otherverse" seems to be the only "good guy" that didn't join Batman. I'm pretty sure this kind of story has been done before in some way or another.

It was pretty fun to use the scenario against the enemies and use the special "scene transition attack", Dead or Alive has something similar, but this game does it better, for example, kick a guy through a door in Arkham Asylum and a big chunk of Batman's rogue gallery will beat that character up. The gambit system is annoying since the computer always uses it when it has a bigger bar than me, forcing me to either let them recover health or lose my power meter.

I wonder if it was a case of them becoming so good at the game over time they didn't realize how hard it was until they brought in fresh playtesters.  The first phase of that fight is so tight that if the boss were even a quarter second faster, he'd be almost impossible to kill. 

I know that the studio went through some staff changes around the middle to late development of Guac, so that could factor in to it. That boss fight though is a real test of your ability to press buttons good, which in my experience with the rest of the game was either reduced in difficulty or only done in the side bonus rooms, and in either case, not also put to the challenge of doing it for a long period consistently, which is that boss fight. 

I finished Guacamelee, beat the boss, didn't 100%. The side areas were too frustrating. 

I really liked the game, the combat was ok, it annoyed me how everything knocks you around except when you're dodging or throwing.

The platforming was also ok. It was rarely frustrating except the side areas for 100%. It wasn't too hard otherwise, mostly too easy.

The story was a joke, as were most of the characters. Joke as in, it was meant to be funny and it was, about half the time. I really liked the soundtrack and the art style, especially how the world shifting changes the scene, even the music changes!

Blown Away/10

Let's talk Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I beat it, sort of, I got to the final boss, got super annoyed, and then watched the ending on YouTube. The Let's Player who posted the video said it took him two and a half hours to beat the boss, so no regrets there. 

I had a pretty solid moment of revelation with this game. The boss fight against Monsoon, the cyborg who splits himself into pieces, really forces you to get a hang of the parry system, and the game really took an upwards swing from there. The bosses following Monsoon make good use of parrying too. But then I realize this game does a lot to sabotage the beauty that is parrying attacks. I never really figured out how to fight the Gekkos or Mastiffs. There are a lot of un-parryable attacks in the game, especially in that last boss. 

The game does a lot of good stuff, but it's also its own worst enemy. Doesn't explain itself well, and doesn't always make the best sue of its combat systems.