gdf

Recently completed video games

Sno and mikemariano, if you see this, should I play UU2? I don't want to get stuck into a sequel if it's going to let me down. Heard pretty good things tho.

I remember playing Ultima Underworld a bunch when I was younger, but I could never figure out how to play and I remember dying a lot and (I think?) not knowing how to save.

Sno and mikemariano, if you see this, should I play UU2? I don't want to get stuck into a sequel if it's going to let me down. Heard pretty good things tho.

I've only heard good things but have no experience at all with Ultima Underworld II.

I beat Dreamkiller, a game I don't know why I quit, because frankly, I kinda enjoyed it a lot and it's like a mashup of Pyschonauts and Serious Sam.

You enter peoples dream's to fight their fears, each level is mostly unique (the final levels are like a best of, but still), the nightmares of a guy with fear of height have you climbing a never ending tower with workers and some cloud demons, an actor is afraid of kids and the level is full of nightmarish toys.

The weapons are pretty interesting too, but probably show the only downside, I BEAT the game, and I think the only way to know how much ammo you have before you reload is by visual cues? And I couldn't pick up the cues for some weapons.

I think the reason the game got panned because it was so poorly optimized that you needed a pretty good computer back then to get it to work, when it didn't look like it needed that much. *shrugs*

I finished Far Cry 3 this weekend, It fixed most of the things that annoyed me about FC2 and as its an open world shooter I spent most of the game sniping (Possibly my favorite activity). The story was stupid, but I have come to expect that from the FPS genre. Solid game and it passed my $1 and hour enjoyment curve, I paid $25 for it and played it from about 30 hours. Now its on to Assassins Creed 3

Dmc: Devil May Cry, it was great. Lots of moves, combos, enemies and bosses.  Varied levels and nice art and music. Recommended'd'd''d.

Despite my appreciation of the original, i've never actually played Ultima Underworld 2. I probably should, shouldn't i? I've never heard anything bad about the game, certainly. I also need to sit down and do a full playthrough of System Shock some day, i've never finished it.

Copy pasted from DS2 Thread:

IT IS DONE, I HAVE COMPLETED DARK SOULS 2.

Not bad! Definitely not as good as DS1 in my opinion, but overall an enjoyable experience! I'd say the multiplayer is the true star of DS2. So many hours of my time were spent on PvP and co-op cuz it was a much more smoother and much more engaging experience than DS1's take on multiplayer. Time for NG+, I guess! 

I beat Sniper Ghost Warrior and Sniper Elite V2 and.... despite Elite VII being superior in visuals and well, everything... I like Sniper Ghost Warrior since it's more stealthy and it does take place in destroyed urban environments, but mostly in a jungle.

Sure, the bullet cam is Elite is cool and kinda morbid, but I just liked hiding in the bushes in Ghost Warrior. You can be stealthy in Elite, but it's different and too frustrating, and can't be done that often.

Finally sat down and finished Saints Row IV. The final segments are kind of frustrating, which was a letdown. I'm at 98% but don't feel like doing the last few challenges. Oh well.

I beat Dark Souls 2, too. Good game, some great areas, some not so great. I never felt I understood why I was doing anything that I was doing, whereas in Dark Souls you pretty much know who you'll be fighting from the get-go. Will defo be doing NG+. Need to sharpen up my PvP skills.

Finished the main story of Sleeping Dogs. I didn't finish all side quests, a lot of them are rather tedious. I did not expect the game to end at the last mission. It seems rather unfinished.

Sleeping Dogs is ok I guess. It's mostly about parkouring around, and close combat, with occasional fire fights. Also, a lot of driving. There are a few rather short side stories (i.e. the dating) and a bunch of repeating missions you can repeat. The city isn't interesting enough to mess around in. There's not much fun in driving around and messing around.

I had a fun 20 hour experience. I still have some DLC to finish. One is a demon DLC thingy, so.. zombies. It's rather disconnected from the main game and story, so that's a bit weird.

Driving a motor bike full speed at on oncoming car and using its bonnet as a ramp is fucking gangbusters :tup:

There's my box quote for sleepy dog

I played through The Swapper over the last two evenings, that was fun!  Great little game, which handles its theme so much more subtly than most vidya games.  I ended up looking up 2 of the last 3 puzzle solutions though, and the last one I managed to unintentionally break to solve just by screwing around (you can move slightly more in slo-mo, which let me barely land on a platform I shouldn't have been able to reach).  At that point, I was just kind of done with the puzzles, particularly the ones that required gravity switching multiple times.  The first one I looked up, the solution required taking an action that I had never had to take before in any puzzle, not sure I would have figured it out on my own. 

Overall a great experience, and I really enjoyed the ambiguity in the end, with no clear direction of whether you had made the "right" choice, just left it up to you with no in-game judgement.

I also really liked how it just didn't answer any questions about the nature of the soul or conciseness. Whether you were a clone or the original, or if it even mattered. Or even how aware your character is, since the character herself never speaks.  Probably one of the better  "philosophic" type game stories I've seen.  I ended up not swapping with the rescuer at the end.  A bit disappointing that suicide was that option.  I'd have been maybe more satisfied if she just would have turned and headed back for the space station, with no clue if she would survive, merge with the rocks or something else.  

Also major props for going the Portal/Metroid route (obvious inspiration in both) and predominantly just having female characters, proving once again you can make successful sci-fi games without space marines, or space marines impersonating engineers, or space marines impersonating mute scientists.

Finished the main story of Sleeping Dogs. I didn't finish all side quests, a lot of them are rather tedious. I did not expect the game to end at the last mission. It seems rather unfinished.

Sleeping Dogs is ok I guess. It's mostly about parkouring around, and close combat, with occasional fire fights. Also, a lot of driving. There are a few rather short side stories (i.e. the dating) and a bunch of repeating missions you can repeat. The city isn't interesting enough to mess around in. There's not much fun in driving around and messing around.

I had a fun 20 hour experience. I still have some DLC to finish. One is a demon DLC thingy, so.. zombies. It's rather disconnected from the main game and story, so that's a bit weird.

All the bigger Sleeping Dogs DLC packs are really weird, but in a pretty good way. There's the zombie/ghost/demon one, one that's basically the plot of Enter the Dragon, and another that gives you a talking police car. It takes the game from the semi-grounded crime story into Saint's Row territory, but DLC is the right place to get that wacky usually (like Red Dead's zombie stuff).

I finally bothered to finish "Spirited Hearts Deluxe", I guess it's Winter Wolves first "Otome" game, and you can tell, you barely interact with your love interests, but at least the deluxe version has a special secret goal presented by a Goddess if you reach a certain point in the game.... This ending was much more satisfying that marrying a character I barely talked to. :P

I just finished Super Mario 3d Land. I've not played a Mario game since SM64. I didn't collect all the stars at the start, but I didn't in the last two worlds. So I intend to go back and collect everything. Made it much more interesting. At first I found the 3 dimensional platforming REALLY hard, especially as I'm pretty shitty at platformers in general, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

What I liked most about it, is that I could suck at a stage, die over and over, leave it for a couple of days then pick it up and run through the stage perfectly. Also, the pause by closing the "clam" of the 3ds is fantastic. Sucks that I rarely take my 3ds out the house. I do have a commute, but you can't play a game while cycling. Maybe some weird oculus rift app will fix that.

I beat Dark Souls 2, too. Good game, some great areas, some not so great. I never felt I understood why I was doing anything that I was doing, whereas in Dark Souls you pretty much know who you'll be fighting from the get-go. Will defo be doing NG+. Need to sharpen up my PvP skills.

I don't know why people keep saying that. The first part of Dark Souls they tell you to ring two bells, but tell you nothing of how to get there or what exactly will happen when you do. Then it opens Sen's Fortress and you're clueless what exactly you're doing for a while after than, before you finally get a modicum of information that leads you into the second half. That seems pretty functionaly similar to DS2's "get powerful souls" directive given to you by the level up lady. I'm not saying that I understood what I was doing in DS2, I'm really just saying I didn't understand it in DS1 either.

And only the first bell is obvious.  Second bell either takes wandering into the Blight because you have the key, or stumbling your way through the Gutter, after getting into the alley, which was super easy to miss if you spaced off one door that had a dragon between you and it. 

Honestly in DS I had completely forgotten about the bells. It turned into "find tough guys to fight, kill them then panic to find the next closest bonfire." When I rang the second bell I was like "OH YEAH! The story! So that's how you open the door!"

I beat Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden another "Hidden Object Game" that's more adventure than hidden object that happens to be from the same company that I praised recently from making a pretty darn good hidden object game.

This one... is bio-shockingly familiar?

tumblr_n6y4jmcQyH1qzsuxqo1_500.jpg

I still had a lot of fun with it, you can skip puzzles you don't like, you can play a dominos game if you don't like the hidden object part... It's pretty nice.

Well, last night I finished the main storyline of GTAV.

That was a very fun game. I enjoyed the heist missions and actually enjoyed seeing the story play out among three playable characters the way it did. I will probably play it more just to mess around a bit.

With that ending... I chose to kill Trevor. After the credits rolled I just turned the game off, so I'm wondering... if I turn it on again, is Trevor completely gone now? Or does it do that weird thing some games do where I'm back to right before taking the final mission?

Well, last night I finished the main storyline of GTAV.

That was a very fun game. I enjoyed the heist missions and actually enjoyed seeing the story play out among three playable characters the way it did. I will probably play it more just to mess around a bit.

With that ending... I chose to kill Trevor. After the credits rolled I just turned the game off, so I'm wondering... if I turn it on again, is Trevor completely gone now? Or does it do that weird thing some games do where I'm back to right before taking the final mission?

My understanding is that whoever you choose to kill (if you do choose so) is completely gone at that point. So I think any Trevor specific stuff will be locked out for you now and he is completely gone.

And random fun fact: if you have all three characters, you can call the other two up on your cell phone to hang out and then pick them up and go around doing whatever you want. It is pretty fun to get them all together and then go on a massive police chase, switching between them and doing whatever the hell you want with no mission restrictions.

I played through A Story About My Uncle today, which sounds like a very personal, emotional, narrative-driven game. In fact, it's a game about swinging around in caves with a grappling hook and rocket boots. The story is framed a lot like The Princess Bride with a father telling a bedtime story to his daughter about his explorer uncle and the one time he tried to follow him on his adventures. The premise and some of the execution are pretty charming (the times when it becomes clearest that you are hearing a father tell his daughter a tall tale are the strongest), but the game suffers, at least in the English translation, from some awkward phrasing and uneven voice acting. The character animations aren't too great either, with one particular set of NPCs looking far more unsettling than they probably should (I'll edit this post with a screenshot later if I remember). 

In spite of that, the game feels really good to play. Jumping and swinging generally work really well and give a real sense of speed. While other first person platformers weren't my thing (looking at you Mirror's Edge), I really ended up enjoying this one. My only mechanical hang-up is that toward the end of the game, some of the platforming segments got a bit long, so failing them several times was a bit frustrating. Overall,  :tup: .