gdf

Recently completed video games

When the DS and GBA remakes came out, I finally went through and beat every single main FF game up through 10. I can confidently say that I don't remember a thing about 3.

When the DS and GBA remakes came out, I finally went through and beat every single main FF game up through 10. I can confidently say that I don't remember a thing about 3.

That really doesn't surprise me. It's about as generic as an RPG can get. I'm sure the only thing I will ever remember about that game is that the very end has 2 dungeons back-to-back, with 6 bosses, and no opportunity to save. It was hell to get through.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - I don't really dig on South Park's whole thing, but I love Obsidian, so I was expecting a bit of a slog, but I had a lot of fun with the whole game. I got more than a few laughs out of it, and it avoided the stuff that bugs me most about the show, the "everyone is equally bad, so why try" rhetoric. It openly embraces it's RPG nature, and the jokes are largely in context and spirit. Cartman's sarcasm as a buddy was a reliable chuckle, and there is an insane amount of custom barks for every buddy and every scene.  

I haven't posted in here for awhile but there's a few games I've completed recently.

Grim Fandango - Amazing game. Glad I finally got to experience this highly revered game and it deserves all of the accolades it has received.

Battlefield 4 (PS4) - I finished the single player campaign and honestly, I'm not sure why people were so down on the campaign in this game. It was exactly as dumb and overly bombastic as I (and hopefully most other people) expected it to be which I found kind of enjoyable. It's a dumb military shooter and it delivered the dumb military stuff that all the other dumb military shooters deliver and I had a lot of fun with it. The game was gorgeous, the sound design was great and the explosions shook my entire house, and the shooting and controls were very satisfying. And best of all, it was the perfect length. Just long enough to have a few different interesting set pieces and just short enough that by the time I was starting to feel like I was ready for it to end, it ended. So not a great single player game but I still had a great time with it.

Journey - I decided to play through this again this weekend and goddamn this game is just a beautiful thing. Even on repeat playthroughs it is still very effective.

Does it count if I completed a game that I have already completed before? I did just finish a little game called Dark Souls 2, but on the PC this time. But, I'm certainly not done with it. 

Grim Fandango is a game on a long list of games that I never played when it was new, but would like to play sometime, and realistically probably won't.

After quitting it 3 or so times I finally finished Demon's Souls.  I bought it years ago when it was still fairly new after hearing about how brutal it was, but in playing it I just couldn't make myself finish.  It wasn't until the slightly friendlier Dark Souls came out and I beat it 3 times that I found myself in that perfect center of wanting more Dark Souls but finished with that game for the time being, having nothing really screaming at me to play next, and finally able to accurately control anything using a sixAxis controller (they aren't bad, I just don't like them.)

And it might be my favourite in the series now.

After quitting it 3 or so times I finally finished Demon's Souls.  I bought it years ago when it was still fairly new after hearing about how brutal it was, but in playing it I just couldn't make myself finish.  It wasn't until the slightly friendlier Dark Souls came out and I beat it 3 times that I found myself in that perfect center of wanting more Dark Souls but finished with that game for the time being, having nothing really screaming at me to play next, and finally able to accurately control anything using a sixAxis controller (they aren't bad, I just don't like them.)

And it might be my favourite in the series now.

I did play Demon's First (Had initially dismissed it, but ended up playing it to mess around at a friend's place and fell in love) and have a partially completed replay (I put that on hold for dark souls 2). I think it might be the best in the series as well. Certainly not mechanically, but the world and the bosses is very good. 

I finished a few games in these last days:

Gomo: It's Daedalic's Samorost, only not as good, but not that bad?

Hotel: Wow, this game was hilariously bad, I make fun of adventure games for forcing Monkey Island references, this one made me realize how many try the "Broken Sword" approach, a.k.a. normal person encounters super secret society, also maybe magic and ghosts? A.k.a. Dan Brown? I have read any of his books lately.

Anyway, this was a fun and dumb game that I got cheap in a bundle, so it was worth it for me.

Ku: Shroud of Morrigan: Probably a mobile port, it didn't outstay it's welcome, except it sequel baits. 

Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta: What Garshap is to God of War, Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta is to Uncharted. They are both from Middle Eastern companies that have taken heroes from their culture and inserted them into well.... clones of more popular games with more popular myths in them.

The game is cheesy as hell and fun, but Ibn Battuta seems.. too cool for such a cheesy game? Too bad he was too much into slavery according to the Wiki article.

I really hope this one does get a sequel.

I played through Super Mario 3D World, at least up until the credits (I realize there are like 5 more worlds after that, but I'm choosing to count it since I'm bad at finishing games lately). It is a seriously charming game, and one of the few things I've played recently that just had me smiling through nearly the whole thing.

The obnoxious, "kick the soccer ball bombs at Bowser's car" boss fights being the one exception. They struck me as more frustrating than challenging in an enjoyable way.

The level design was clever throughout, it often introduced novel mechanics for one stage which prevented them from getting stale, and the side things like the Captain Toad levels just made it all the better. One of the main complaints I heard about the game was that it was too easy, and I can sort of see where people are coming from. I didn't think that was the case though. It was nice to play a game that had a relatively low level of challenge with the trickier bits being reserved for finding hidden stars. Maybe this is just because I've mostly been playing games like Dark Souls too much lately, but having something relaxing to do in a game was a good change of pace. I'm glad I played it, I will go back and finish those other levels, and I don't yet regret buying a Wii U.

Like its 3DS predecessor, the game gets waaaay harder in the post-credits stages.

Incidentally, were you actively moving forward in the Bowser car fights? I thought they were pretty unfair until I realized that you're supposed to never stop chasing the car. It doesn't seem like it's doing anything, but it does.

Just like Francis Drake, then. Hurrah!

Wow, they are really so ridiculously similar up to that point... I don't whether to laugh or cry.

Anyway, I beat Octodad, which is probably the only game in the "ha ha, look at how hard it is to control, isn't that funny, except it's not" category that I've completed and enjoyed, the game did let you break it a little, like in the basketball minigame, you can just climb in and make the dunking easier, the finale... was a nightmare! I had to reduce the mouse sensitivity to the lowest and try to tiptoe over some rafters.

This is usually frustrating in all games, with an octopus that can barely walk as a human? Even more so! But the game is still amazing!

Anyway, I beat Octodad, which is probably the only game in the "ha ha, look at how hard it is to control, isn't that funny, except it's not" category that I've completed and enjoyed, the game did let you break it a little, like in the basketball minigame, you can just climb in and make the dunking easier, the finale... was a nightmare! I had to reduce the mouse sensitivity to the lowest and try to tiptoe over some rafters.

This is usually frustrating in all games, with an octopus that can barely walk as a human? Even more so! But the game is still amazing!

Wow, I've been playing all of Octodad with a trackpad and the final boss battle is impossible.  To know I have to dig out a mouse and adjust sensitivity settings just to beat the game seems intense.

...for some reason I thought you meant a trackball, and was seriously concerned about your mental state.

Can you adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad? I don't know how it works with a gamepad, but if you can adjust the sensitivity it might be an option too? With the sensitivity so low it's actually possible to do something resembling a tiptoe making "almost" not impossible.

I played it with a controller and had no trouble at all. Perhaps give it a try?

after a change of heart, i decided not to rage Risk of Rain and instead my first win

this game seems like my new isaac, at least until rebirth comes out

Risk of Rain is one of my favourite games of the last few years for sure, maybe on the all time list.

Even now, with almost everything I find reasonable unlocked, I still enjoy getting a couple people together and playing a round.  If I get some of my vet teammates together we'll go for a double or even triple clear.

I completed "The Inner World" a nice adventure game about a strange and dying world with an interesting world and puzzles. And your nose is a flute?

And "Harvester".... it's considered the most disturbing and violent game ever made and... I laughed at it all the while like it was a cheesy B-movie... it kinda is. I just tries too hard? Maybe it would have freaked me out if I had played it out back in the day, but the special effects are kinda funny. XP

Today I finished Dead Island :tdown:

So this should be Borderlands 1 with zombies. Just like borderlands it became tedious before I reched the end. Actually... it started to become tedious in act 1. From act 3 and further I was just trying to get to the end as fast as possible. Pretty much all quests were stupid fetch quests. For variation they added babysit quests which of course was annoying as usual because of the suicidal AI.

I beat the Android version of Giana Sisters, which has improved graphics over the iOS one I played and frankly, is better than the Giana Sisters game I Kickstarted, I also did a lot better than on the iOS version since I unlocked all the secret worlds. It actually works with a controllers, but to pull the incredibly hard jumps I felt I could only do them with the touch controls, which is something I never thought I'd say.

I really don't know what to think of Puppeteer, is it a kid's game with "jokes" adults would enjoy? It had a "double teaming" joke and it's so culturally insensitive that if we took out the gameplay and left it as a movie I can imagine an angry internet reviewer tearing it apart, they just don't shut up and are as subtle as a bazooka, like having a wanted sign of the hero just to make an "Infamous" joke" and having a giant enemy crab boss for well... you know...

The game play isn't that interesting either, the only interesting gimmick is the scissors, which let you "climb cut" up things and some pretty generic poweups. I guess the humor in the cutscenes really got on my nerves, it was far from as bad a Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer movie, but boy did I have to skip a lot of them to not make me quit. I LOVE puns but some of the "punny" achievement names were just... UGH!

I also beat a few "chapters" of Dragon Fantasy, an 8-bit game that's kinda like Dragon Quest, the first chapter is the only one that feels like a "full" thing, I haven't played the last chapter, but it's clear they intended to make a finale chapter with all characters from the previous chapters come together to fight a big baddie, instead... we get our heroes trapped on a Minecraft server where they can capture monsters like Pokémon and give them diamond gear you mine yourself... even if the monster you capture has no limbs. 

Just finished Dino 'Splode, an XBLIG platform we about a flame spitting dinosaur that explodes if left in sunlight for too long.

It wasn't terrible, but the controls were very slippery. In addition, there are different powers for the character but switching powers never seems useful in the least - you can brute force your way through everything with plain old fireballs.

on Chris' suggestion i played You Have to Win the Game, i love the old color scheme...but even more the simulated crt style.  its of course a novelty and if every indie next quarter switched to EGM graphics itd be awful

91% on the first play...perhaps ill come back in to finish the achievos

Well, I finished the final chapter of Dragon Fantasy and I can tell there is more story after this, but... it just doesn't exist yet? I also noticed that you can only get the first two chapters on 3DS and Vita and only in the US... Did they give up because of poor sales? It's a pretty fun series, so it would be sad to not see the true ending.

I also beat Daedalic's 1954 Alcatraz, which I think is their first Noir game... I'm not even sure if I should call it Noir, though. It's about Joe who is is Alcatraz trying to escape and get the money from the heist that got him in there and Christine, his wife, who is a beatnik trying to help him get out.

The game lays the beatnik a bit thick when you play as her, I only know some lingo from OOOOOLD cartoons, but the artists they mentioned could be made up and I wouldn't know, so I guess I'm a square? The game sure does make Christine prove how "hip" she is a lot to advance the story.

You can betray each other, get people killed or kill them yourself, I don't think you can beat the game in a "clean" way.