gdf

Recently completed video games

I'm pretty sure one is from the fairy fountain, but I never pinned it on my map and I just can't find it anymore...

Yes, you get a bottle from the rupee fairy.  She's located south of the thieves' den, in a cave near the giant bomb flower.

I beat both Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World this weekend while I was sick. I didn't care for humor in BoD, but I actually dug Cthulu and really enjoyed the wierd ending. Still, I think I'm topped out on Zeboyd games for quite a while.

Finished Papers Please or at least got a handful of the 20 possible endings. It's really good. The pixel art matches well with the whole oppresive easter bloc setting and it does a great job combining all the different mechanics to make the game choices really difficult/interesting ie weighing the risk of taking bribes or the guilt of breaking up a couple with the need to feed your family and keep your job. Actually I'm a little concerned with how enthusiastically I was willing to detain people for even a tiny kickback. I'll probably go back and try for some more of the endings when I'm not feeling like quite so much of a terrible person anymore. Also it probably has the best title screen/music I've ever seen.

I finished the racer half of Need for Speed: Rivals and really enjoyed it! much better than my last experience with the series 'The Run'. The game is beautiful and the cars are really nice to handle, but there are a couple of things holding it back in my opinion:

• The racers and cops dont share cars, I really want to drive the Nissan GTR or thekoenigsegg ccxr but I cant because they are cop cars, Wha?!
  •  The storyline is appalling, but its a need for speed game, so what you'd expect.
  • The progression is good, but as a racer I feel they push me to wreck other racers too often, I dont like doing it. I like clean-ish races and running away from the cops, not slamming into racers over and over again.
  • When you start a race the car has to come to a complete stop for a couple of seconds, which is fine, as long as the cops aren't after you! I have stopped with 100% and started races with 25% health due to that problem.
  • There is almost no customization of the cars, you can change the paint and put a decal on it (which are all horrible i might add). thats it, no GT3 body kits or paint styles, nothing.

But over all I really enjoyed it. If people aren't feeling it I would recommend going up to the snowy mountains and drifting round the icy turns, thats some damn good fun!

Im not really going to play the cop campaign as i dont like violence in my racing, I like being the hunted, not the hunter.

Assassins Creed III

So much greatness marred by some really odd design choices. The installments of this series could really benefit from another year of dev time.

I've played 1, 2, Brotherhood, and now 3. Brotherhood remains my favorite - mostly because of the time period, I think.

PROS -

The wandering around historical settings aspect is so great that for me it's worth the price of admission.

These games LOOK so good.

Moments of wandering around the woods as a younger connor and feeling like Daniel Day-Lewis in Last of the Mohicans, or Robert Redford in Jerimiah Johnson..

CONS -

Squandered Desmond story line potential. I remember playing the first one and getting excited for a crazy ambitious series of games moving up through history and culminating in a final game with some sci-fi setting. Instead the desmond bits just kind of neandered then fizzled. I have to agree with the recent thumbs episode - the series probably would have been better for not having it in the first place.

Overall.. maybe kinda sorta probably get Black Flag.. probably next game purchase after Mario 3d world.

meep.

I've beaten a few games that have recently popped up on Steam but I had from indie bundle:

-Oozi: Earth Adventure: A very simple platform game will a very "old Ubi-soft" cartoonish "Rayman-esque" graphics. It's pretty basic, your only form of attack is jumping and stomping, they manage to mix it up enough to make it interesting, that and the fact that's it's short doesn't hurt the game either. It was pretty disappointing to get the final piece of gear and not gain any new skill. I wonder if the only reason I made it through this game was because I was listening to the Turrican soundtrack. 

-Fester Mudd: A love letter to the golden era of adventure games, that is just so-so. The puzzles are pretty basic (and so is the comedy), the game is pretty short... I wouldn't recommend getting it unless it's in a bundle or cheap.

Also... the obligatory Monkey Island reference! A guy breaks out of prison thanks to the very potent booze you gave him... Pretty subtle, miss-able... Way to go! 

Journey - Way overdue on this one. I played it at my friend's place. It was...something. The only thing that will probably stick with me about it is the look/art direction of the whole thing and how the multiplayer works. 

My friend remarked how differently we both played through the game. He took his time and collected a lot of the shiny bits while I just kind of tore through it, but that's how I play most games.

The Swapper -  Great environmental feeling and ambience, fun puzzles, and a nice story. I really dug the sections where you drop out into space, and all the sound cuts out. 

Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall - I have nobody to blame but myself, but I wish the game forced Daud into killing, but since I saw Ghost/No Kills were an option/award I did it that way. More great level design, and the final mission was a solid challenge. 

I posted a bit more about it in its main thread, but I finally got around to finishing Tomb Raider (2013) last night and while it was fun, it was a pretty standard third person action game. The set pieces and production quality make it worth trying, at least.

Over the weekend I played through The Stanley Parable and I pretty much fell in love with it. I went down every path I noticed during my first run, but I'm sure there are things I missed (I think I finished it in a little over two hours). I didn't know a thing about it going into it which I think made it that much more enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

I ran through Game Dev Tycoon recently, as well. If you played Game Dev Story for iOS/Android it's pretty similar structurally, but you have a bit more control over a game's development process in this game and I think it's still worth a playthrough if you enjoy that type of game.

I just wrapped up Wind Waker HD. It's still a super fun game, and the triforce hunt at the end only takes a couple of hours now that they've streamlined it. I did from the end of the wind temple up through the credits in a single sitting while my girlfriend was writing a paper for class next to me. Still such a great game, and actually improved by the tweaks Nintendo made to the update. Not worth buying a Wii U for, but if Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World have convinced you that it's worth it (it is) you should pick this up as well and bask in its greatness.

Just finished Ratchet & Clank Nexus :tmeh:

It was ok, but not really anything special. Of the all R&C future games this is probably the most boring of them all.

I completed To the Moon yesterday.  It had a very touching story about a man struggling to deal with his clinically ill wife and repressed childhood memories.  I'd love to see more stories like this in games more often than not.  The main reason I loved the story was for its subtlety when discussing and displaying most of the topics featured in the game.  The main reason I loved the gameplay itself was for the simplicity of its control scheme and subtle reminders to the player for stating when they regain control of the characters.  All point-and-click games should  allow the player to play with only the mouse.

I hope to see more from Kan [Reives] Gao and the rest of the team at Freebird Games.  Freebird Games is making another game titled A Bird Story set to release later this year.

I beat Gone Home—the game for which I bought a new laptop—this morning.  I spent $25.39 per minute playing this game!

A worthy investment!

I've beaten Gun Commando, the very first Playstation Mobile game I'd recommend, it's like a very early FPS graphics and gameplay wise, except for one mechanic.

You have a "level" bar for your gun, the more you hit without missing, the more it rises until it levels up, it goes from gun to golden gun, to shotgun, machine gun, magnum and even a bazooka at the end so it really rewards you to play well, because you'll need all the help you can as the enemies become more numerous and tougher.

It has NO savepoints, so you have to beat the level in one go, the game is relatively fair, it has traps in the sense the a door might lock up or open to prevent you escaping or to let enemies in, Also there is a certain jumping enemy that can be only hit when jumping which can be very tense if a swarm approaches you.

It also kinda sucks that upgrading the weapons only increases damage, you'd think a bazooka would damage more than one enemy, but I guess it would be too easy then since there is no ammo limit.

I got it for free with the recent deal they had, I don't think it's going on, but how expensive can a PSM game be?

Brütal Legend

Quite good! The controls seem a bit clunky - I'm not sure I ever want to play a strategy game via anything other than the traditional RTS interface, or maybe some kind of touchscreen thing - but aside from that I had a ton of fun. The art design is peerless, the voice acting is wonderful, and Tim Schafer's script is fucking hilarious. It also helps that the whole game is set to a kickass soundtrack. I would recommend it to everyone.

Arkham City - I've thought long and hard about it, and come to the conclusion that I do prefer it to Arkham Asylum, although not by much. Both really great games.

The Knife of Dunwall - The first time I played Dishonored I didn't bounce off it, but I don't think I was enamored with it the same way a lot of people talking about the game were. Where other people thought the blink ability was a brilliant touch that more games should incorporate I saw it as a device that drained all the tension out of a stealth game. Recently I went back and started replaying the original Thief game, and have re-fallen in love with that game all over again. However the other thing doing that allowed was for me to revisit Dishonored with a more charitable perspective. Whereas previously I basically disliked all the things about the game that made it stand out from Thief, having actually gotten my fix of Thief (relieved that the game holds up much better than I imagined) I feel like I can now better appreciate all the little things that make the game unique and interesting. So I'm finally coming to the DLC expansions. The Knife of Dunwall was good! I wasn't really feeling Daude as a character when the game started out, but I gradually got into the hard-boiled noir vibe he exudes. Another aspect that I really liked was the plot twist at the end, I really didn't see it coming even if I should have, whereas in the original Dishonored I saw the twist coming from a mile away. I also thought that the ability to spend money in-between missions that would alter the world somehow by creating extra supply caches, runes, or other effects was a really nice touch.

Finished up Hotline Miami on the PS3. So satisfying. I'm a stickler about game lengths being generally way too long; Hotline Miami is a perfect length. Doesn't overstay its welcome.

The soundtrack and general woozy aesthetic was delightful!! I sat on the Main Menu for a few minutes when I first booted up the game enjoying the music.

I ended up playing in a silly/cheap way: Clumsily run into a hallway, wave, smile, say "hello!", run back around the corner, wait for evil guy to come around and murder him instantly. Repeat! Fun times.

I think I broke Asssassin's Creed 4: We wanted to make a pirate game.

Whenever you're in the middle of a multiship battle, target the smallest, weakest ship, one hit should make it captureable, go and board it. And bang! Instant full health back and the rest of the ships forget you're there. It's a total system breaking thing. But it feels stupid NOT to use it, because if you're in a fight for your life its like "Oh heeeey, hey look full health, right here, insta heal for the taking, real easy."

I hope when the inevitable pirate only spinoff comes out this gets fixed, because otherwise there's a lot to enjoy.

Finished up Hotline Miami on the PS3. So satisfying. I'm a stickler about game lengths being generally way too long; Hotline Miami is a perfect length. Doesn't overstay its welcome.

The soundtrack and general woozy aesthetic was delightful!! I sat on the Main Menu for a few minutes when I first booted up the game enjoying the music.

I ended up playing in a silly/cheap way: Clumsily run into a hallway, wave, smile, say "hello!", run back around the corner, wait for evil guy to come around and murder him instantly. Repeat! Fun times.

The dude who did the soundtrack for the menu screen, Sun Araw, is pretty great. He is playing at the Chapel on New Year's Eve in San Francisco which is right by where I live. Although I'm generally reluctant to go to shows on NYE (and pay the exorbitant cost that goes along with those events) I'm really pretty tempted to check that show out.

Just beat The Swapper. It's a really, really great game. I got stuck on two puzzles but aside from that everything went well: some I solved pretty fast, some were some real headscratchers. The story was really well written and the atmosphere was just tremendous all throughout: wonderful music, graphics, and sound design. My only complaint is that some of the dialog was not loud enough compared to the music, and the options menu doesn't have different volume sliders for each. Aside from that though I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

I just beat Toki Tori 2, which claimed to a "metroidvania", but if this is a metroidvania, then so is Antichamber as they both have one thing in common, you discover new areas with the knowledge you discover later in the game.

The type of puzzles are different from the first game since you have only your chirping and a stomp (that doesn't kill) to solve every puzzle, it's all about learning how your chirps and stomps interact with each creature in the world and how each creature interacts with each other. It's never a question of doing things fast enough, simple knowing what to do.

I feel proud that I didn't need help for this game...then again, I couldn't find much help online for this game anyway. But as I learned new tricks it became more easier to advance and tackle each puzzle.