gdf

Recently completed video games

it makes sense for many of the environments to feel largely baron of people outside of security.

Do you dictate your posts or is this an autocorrect thing?

While I do love their world craft there is one element that sticks out super oddly and that's "The Outsider". I understand the need for the existence of "something" like that in order to explain away how you have magic powers (that enable all the awesome game play). That just felt cheesy as all hell. All of a sudden the evil lead singer from 30 seconds to mars shows up in my dreams to give me black magics... His entire through line is the part of the game that felt like the most video-gamey nonsense.

I found the Outsider a bit jarring on the first playthrough as well, but I fell in love with the setting so much that I went and also checked out a lot of the stuff surrounding the game, such as the Tales from Dunwall videos ( http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/dishonoreds-complete-the-tales-from-dunwall/ ). From this and the speculation that the Outsider is actually

a whale

I started to really appreciate how a satan-like figure mainly interested in creating chaos intersects nicely with the on the whole science/enlightenmentlike phase that the society of Dunwall is currently in.

The two DLC (knife/brigmore) really add a lot to this in my mind.

Uncharted Golden Abyss (Vita) :tmeh:

Average experience that got better towards the end, i almost quit as the levels in the first 1/3 of the game were dull. Also the gunplay is never that much fun at the beginning of an uncharted game as you always start out with shit/weak/unaccurate weapons, it gets alot more enjoyable when you start getting the desert eagles and the M4s and the grenade launchers with the running and the screaming.

The game is super cut scene heavy, even for an uncharted game, which was pretty annoying. And another thing that was highly highly irritating is the game is linked to a separate top trumps style card game that needs to be purchased off the PSN store for about £4, these cards are all linked to a collectable in Golden Abyss (of which there are many) i must have got 200+ notification throughout the game that i had levelled up one of top trump cards for a game i didn't even own. grrrrr

Wouldn't really recommend it, but as its free on PS+ if you've got nothing else better to do there is fun to be had. But definitely not essential playing, not even for uncharted fans as the writing is sub par.

Agreed with pretty much all of this, though I had a slightly better opinion of the game overall to the point where I'd recommend it to Uncharted fans and people just looking for something to play on Vita specifically. I really liked Chase and I thought Dante was a little more believable/fit in better than characters like Chloe or Flynn. Though I must say I found the Vita-specific controls generally annoying, especially the gyroscope sniper aiming.

I say not essential for uncharted fans as you'll never hear or see these characters again, but I thought Dante was great, would love to see him in another uncharted game...maybe a prequel. It would be great to introduce a reoccurring character in to the series who you can never quite trust.

How about give Sully a son, you've got reason to work together because family, but he'd hate Drakes guts as his dad treats Drake more like his son, it's perfect! But they've already established sullys got no kids booooo. I though Sully came across really poorly in this game

I say not essential for uncharted fans as you'll never hear or see these characters again, but I thought Dante was great, would love to see him in another uncharted game...maybe a prequel. It would be great to introduce a reoccurring character in to the series who you can never quite trust.

How about give Sully a son, you've got reason to work together because family, but he'd hate Drakes guts as his dad treats Drake more like his son, it's perfect! But they've already established sullys got no kids booooo. I though Sully came across really poorly in this game

Sully was basically an afterthought. They could have easily created his role in the game using exclusively B-roll from the 3 Uncharted PS3 games.

So I (hopefully) finished Rogue Legacy. I am not really into achievements, but this one got the 100% treatment. The first one to get it (since I can't ever remember to fire up Costume Quest on christmas). Snagged the last chievement on NG+++ and may or may not go ahead and purchase every single upgrade. That game is extremely addictive.

However, I'm not sure if I enjoyed the ride. I think I didn't, but really, how do you judge stuff like that?

Seems a bit cliche and/or angsty to me. I'd rather see Naughty Dog come up with something new. I always hate it when companies run their stories into the ground by trying to force new scenarios into a universe that doesn't have room for them.

Darksiders 2 :tmeh:

I think the game was rather long, the fighting and running around became tedious at some point. But I also think the game was rushed towards the end. You spend about 50% in one domain, 35% in the second domain. 20% is the third domain, and only 5% in the last domain. The final boss fight was also somewhat underwhelming. Darksiders 1 was a much better game.

I'm pretty glad I quit that game early...

I just beat Under Defeat HD and wow, was it BRUTAL! Is it strange that what amazed me the most about this bullet hell game was the explosion physics? The explosions would make trees sway and move in a semi-realistic way and it blew the smoke from previous explosions away pretty realistically too! That's pretty impressive for a Dreamcast port, right?

Gunpoint :tup:

This game is too short (2 hours max for an initial playthrough). It's quite a simple stealth game but worked out really well. It's on the polish level of Mark of the Ninja. But where MotN often relied on speed and agility Gunpoint is only about planning and executing. Besides the gameplay there's are also a bunch of dialog trees which do have some effect I think. And you can also have some fun with them.

I hope there will be a Gunpoint 2 which expands upon the wiring possibilities and other abilities.

The dialogs can completely change the ending; there's enough difference that I recommend 2 playthroughs if you're interested in the story.

Yeah, I'm probably going to play it again (given the short time you can complete it in). But I'm not sure what my decisions were on the branching points

I'm making my way through gunpoint now and really enjoying it. IDK is my attention span has just degenerated into total crap but I don't seem to be paying much attention to the story. Doubly odd because I generally pay LOTS of attention to game stories!

Isn't this Gunpoint made with AGS? Man, that's kinda crazy when you think of it.

Well, I just beat One Piece: Pirate Warriors, which is Dynasty Warriors with One Piece characters and it was pure joy! Sure the combat is more suited for crowd control and the camera and controls aren't that perfect for fighting bosses, but the game has the option to auto aim for bosses with helps a bit.

Luffy D. Monkey suits this style of game perfectly, most of these musou games have warriors with large, long or long ranged weapons to deal with the "minions", so Luffy's rubber limbs are perfect for crowd control. They also spice the game up with "action" scenes where Luffy uses his power to traverse obstacles instead of enemies, which are rather QTE-ish and only one of them is actually kinda annoying. Surprisingly you spend 90% of the game playing as Luffy and only once in a blue moon do you get to play as the rest of the crew (which have their own short story modes) and yet it never felt tedious.

I haven't seen the show in ages, but it seems to end at a perfect point to do so, but this also means I can't really say how accurate it is compared to the show or manga. It was more or less as I remembered it until the point they stopped airing the show on TV over here. *shrugs*

Um, no, Gunpoint is not made with Adventure Game Studio. I'm pretty sure it's coded from scratch.

Oops, I got AGS and Game Maker mixed up, it's still impressive though. ¬_¬U

Game maker has had some cool stuff come out. The Vlambeer guys use it as well.

Actually I'm pretty sure Gunpoint was made with Game Maker, much like Spelunky.

Dang, Game Maker was my first guess but I couldn't find the logo on the website. Oh well. Definitely wasn't AGS! Game Maker is remarkably versatile.

InFlux :tup:

A game by thumb Lacabra and others at Impromptu. Took me a little over 3 hours to complete. You're a ball and you cruise around an island where you encounter glass houses. Entering a glass house starts a physics based puzzle when you often have to guide an other ball to given area. To do this you usually have to turn the house by 90 degrees in some direction. I didn't have much trouble in solving those puzzles. When you're not messing around in the glass house your exploring a large island jumping over things pushing or pulling rocks. And there's also something with a wale. There are a few bugs in the game which were really annoying for me. The air vents never worked great and it usually took me a while to get to the right height to continue on. And there was this thing with planks over an air vent which didn't budge, but after a reload it did.

Either way, I think the game had the right length as I was getting bored with the puzzles. Exploring the island was fun, but I wish that there was more to see.

Dang, Game Maker was my first guess but I couldn't find the logo on the website. Oh well. Definitely wasn't AGS! Game Maker is remarkably versatile.

Hotline Miami is made in Game Maker as well. 

I just finished gunpoint. I enjoyed the game a lot [face_shrug]. It was thoroughly entertaining and funny throughout and nailed it's length pretty much perfectly. While I could have used for a few larger more complex levels adding any more missions or story beats might have damaged the game in general. 

Teleglitch

BAHAHAHA! I'VE FINALLY DONE IT. I HAVE WON.

I absolutely loved playing this roguelike-like and will probably continue to do the occasional run every once in a while on account of how awesome a game it is.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

I beat two games this weekend:

Way of the Samurai 4

It's an open world Samurai game with a LOT of branching paths. The small town you are visiting has it's own "Little Britain" were the English are trying to introduce Japan to their culture and commerce, enter the xenophobe faction, who wants them dead and gone, you can help the xenophobes or the English, or the Shogunate, time only passes once you do a mission for each faction, but you can leave whenever you want or just sleep until the end.

The game is "short", but it's all about uncovering all the paths, and what you did in your previous playthrough carries over into the next, did you protect the English teacher? Then you can understand the British.

I managed to get one very gruesome bad ending and one relatively good ending, but it's almost like 999 in the sense that want you learn in one path makes you want to take the others.

The game also scores your "samurai-ness", so the more you loot corpses or kick them while they are down, the worse rating you get.

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires:

Normal Dynasty Warriors games has a minimum of strategy in them, the Empires ones are much more strategic.

You can start off as a ruler, officer or free agent and either aid your lord in their conquests, create your own banner and try to rule China. The main feature this game has over the others is that your characters has different types of "fame" to level up by actions in or out of battle, a kind ruler will heal their troops more quickly, an affluent one will have more money and so on. As you gain fame you will gain new strategies for use in and out of battle.

Since I had a kind ruler, I could summon tigers or wolfs to help us in battle or heal my troops, and out of battle I could find a region that was doing badly offer them some food an money so they would join us.

And for once you can actually give commands to your officers, you could tell them to defend a base, attack a base, attack an enemy officer and such. The strategies that you can choose in battle are very useful if you know how to use them, but you carry a limited amount of them and can only use them once per battle.

I don't know if this was on purpose or a coincidence, but in my playthrough it somehow followed the start of the Romace of the Three Kingdoms wars, the Yellow Turban rebellion were constantly expanding until I took them out and then... Dong Zhuo took advantage of that chaos to start to take over China and he was constantly on the offensive until the end. He barely let me any time to develop my kingdom, thank God I had a kind ruler so my troops where ready quicker than his or else I would have been in trouble.