gdf

Recently completed video games

You can bypass all that if you own the actual Philosopher's Stone, in which case the game will just start. It's a dongle.

I sort of finished Mighty Milky Way last week on my 3DS. It's a one note game, but I had fun until this ridiculously obnoxious second to last level. It's usually a nice little one note game but the last level has about seven sections in a row depending on your speed, accuracy, and the boss' targeting in order to win. I swear it took me 100 tries.

And if I'm not masochistic enough, the reason I said "sort of finished" is because you unlike time trials for every level at the end. So far, I finished about half within the time limit, but I'm worried some might get crazy later on. So far it seems to do what most time trials in games do: be intentionally cruel on early levels yet discover on harder levels you were already doing it the correct and quickest way.

I might end up putting it down if I get something else with bite size chunks to play on handheld and carry around, but so far this is it. I haven't played such a light game based on one mechanic for a long time while still being fun. Kind of reminds me of random puzzlers your have lying around your DOS folders and would just chip chunks of level away when winding down.

Oh, I remember Mighty Milky Way, the ending part is hell, but the ending is SO worth it!

I just beat the LA-MULANA remake and what a magnificent bastard of a game it is, it's probably the most challenging metroidvania game I've ever played, the puzzles have very subtle clues and the bosses are utter bastards... in a good way?

And of course, the final boss with a thousand forms just had to end it with a self-destruct thing...

Just finished Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Was rather fun actually, nice set of abilities and the force physics provided some amusing gameplay at times.

Yeah, I played it a couple of years back and quite liked it. Been meaning to play the sequel since picking it up last(ish) Steam sale, but still haven't got 'round to it. I should install it to make myself feel bad about not playing it.

Yeah, I played it a couple of years back and quite liked it. Been meaning to play the sequel since picking it up last(ish) Steam sale, but still haven't got 'round to it. I should install it to make myself feel bad about not playing it.

The sequel isn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first game. It seemed a bit rushed and just ended up being pretty unmemorable.

Anybody remember X-Blades? It somehow got a sequel / reboot and it's pretty decent. the main mechanic is rewinding time to create copies of yourself, it's rather fun to have several copies of you mowing down enemies and even bosses! :tup:

(It's still a very cheesy game though, the dialogue will either make you laugh or cringe.)

I've been playing Rayman Origins in ten minutes bout every few days. It's pure fun, and its carefree happiness never fails to cheer me up. I'm only on the second area (so around level 11 or 12), but I think the game ties with Bastion as my favourite game of last year (minus two potential contenders I haven't tried yet, Dark Souls and The Witcher 2).

So I just beat Thirty Flights of Loving. Like a boss.

Twice including puffin mode.

:getmecoat:clap::woohoo::worship:

30 Flights - Brilliant! I feel like, mentally energized. Played through it 3 times sort of in a row, and only on the 3rd pass noticed characters get switched.

Stacking - Fun. Great art direction. Despite being raised on adventure games, my mind has been partially poisoned by modern games, where half the time I'm trying to hold shift to run.

Saints Row The Third :tup:

Just finished the main game (still have the DLC to complete). I picked this up during the steam sale. Simply put, I loved it. It's like GTA Vice City / San Andres, but much more ridiculous. All seriousness and realism has been thrown out of the window and they just focused on creating dumb fun. The best part of the game is the amount of variation in missions (including side missions). It doesn't really become tedious.

Goddamn, I only just finished all the DLC like three weeks ago and you're already making me want to go back just by mentioning it. There is a tier of "crazy shit" games that just appeals to me endlessly. Just Cause 2. Red Faction Guerilla. Saints Row the Third. Each of those games is easily one of my favourite things from the year they came out, typically being given my private goty award. So good. Also, if you like crazy and dumb things, pick up Driver San Fransisco while it's still $7.50. Great, great game. Kind of builds slowly, but the last three or four missions are some of the most ridiculous things a driving game has ever had me do.

I would if it wasn't a ubisoft game. But I think I'll pick up Saints Row 2.

Less good, but still fun. It feels like it's pushing against the frame that SR3 so successfully busts through. When it came out, I liked it a lot. I still have very fond memories of it. I don't know if I could go back after SR3 though. SR1 was pretty much a GTA:SA clone. SR2 showed that it wanted to be more but was still feeling out how to do that (and kept stuff like the "side missions to earn respect before you can unlock the next story mission" mechanic, which is a pain). SR3 is a goddamned revelation.

Also, if you get SR2 on PC, be warned that it doesn't play nice with a 64bit OS. You'll need to do some file modification to keep it from running at double speed and being really dumb. I played it through on 360 and then got a free copy on Steam with a DOW2 pre-order, which was more trouble to get running than it was worth since I'd already played it. It will run fine once you've modified it, but you'll need to hunt around on forums and such to find the right tweaks to make to the right text files.

So as much as I love the Etrian Odyssey series, I actually haven't beaten any of the games. Parts 1 and 3 I got stuck on the final bosses (outside of having to grind) and part 2 I just gave up on nearing the end too. But I decided to actually not be that guy, so that said, I beat EO the First. I played it differently than I ever did - heeding the power-play tips others had urged me to use. And yeah they were right. Granted I learned on my own that the open-ended choices in skills when leveling was a false feature (all the optional bosses require VERY specific things) (it's like Hell mode from Diablo 2).

After some post-game content exploring I get to take my save file over to part 2 in some fashion. This only took me a month to freaking do...

Bought Modern Warfare 3 a couple of days ago when it was on sale, and due to the super short campaign, I just finished it. Y'know, given what that series started out as, I should be disappointed. Modern Warfare still resonates with me for certain moments, and kind of changed what I expected from how a game could present its story to me. That game said something. MW2 was fine, but nothing groundbreaking, and 3 continues that. I will say that certain moments affected me more than I thought they would have, but that was earned by attachment to MW1, not MW3. You could tell the one big "ooh" moment that they thought they had, and that I just ended up laughing at, but some of the smaller, Soap-and-Price moments were nice. The final mission also felt right to me, like this really was a suitable end to the whole thing. I'm glad I picked it up and played it, but given that it was over in barely 6 hours and I have no interest in the multiplayer (and it would have been over quicker if I hadn't had to replay two missions twice because of crashes to desktop) I'm also glad that I didn't pay $60 for it. It's still $30 for another hour for the Steam sale, and that's about borderline what I'd recommend it for. If you're interested in seeing everything wrap up, go for it. If you're not, you won't miss much.

Also, for what it's worth, the credits were over in about 5 minutes. Hella respect for that, especially after finishing a few Ubisoft games earlier this year.

I'm finally going through my Steam backlog seriously, having vouched to not buy anything on sale until I've played at least 90 minutes of the major games and 30 of the gimmicky ones.

My method consists in playing my most recent acquisition then going back in time.

The first one I cleared was Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftover which is a :tmeh:.

When its everything-slicable physics, quirky Crumb-like aesthetics, alternative rock soundtrack and puzzle design click together, it's quite a wonderful experience. But that happens only 3 times. Literally. The rest of the game is plagued by frustrating, ill designed controls, unimaginative puzzles and the randomness of a very nice soundtrack that sadly spoils the atmosphere. Still, the engine is impressive in its ability to deliver its promise in the smallest details and there's a lot of charm all around... so, despite the clonkiness, I'm looking forward to whatever BlackPants is doing next. And I wouldn't mind if they just iterate on that recipe.

I got given the gift of Terraria last Christmas but I never got the guts to play it until now. Terraria, Minecraft and simulated worlds in general have been terrifying me ever since I got caught up in making bread instead of following the story of Ultima VII. Those are games that could never end, perpetually renewed by intricate layers of brilliant self sustaining systems. This frightens me.

But what I discovered after playing 40 minutes of Terraria solo, is that I'm not fond of the result (not this one anyway)0: I'd love to create those games and study their systems, but I'm not engrossed in the experience they create... hacking away at stuff, constructing a shitty house, vanquishing blobs ... made me realized that I missed story, external motives and intermediary objectives; emergent or otherwise. So :tdown: , but given that the rest of the world loves it, you can probably ignore it.

Void definitely deserves the media attention it got 9 months ago: it's 30 minutes of varied, balanced puzzles with nifty little secrets, awing tech achievements and a coolio credit sequence. One of my favorite side-things is probably the dangling specs, forgetting that I've got them equipped and then falling into a hole (this is not sarcastic, it feels very much like it might happen if I was given that kind of tool). It's clearly a must play :tup:Incidentally, Void is the DigiPen senior project of a few of my awesome pals at Ubisoft Singapore (the two GDs), so if you like it, don't hesitate to drop them a mail/whatever to encourage them to restart.

So, yeah, 3 Steam games down. 69 to go. :tup::crazy:

Well with Terraria we all kinda got screwed. They got their money, updated it in a major way twice, and left the game. No more content. I'm pretty angry about it. They were going to add a lot of stuff, including competitive multiplayer, and making there be some sort of stakes at play with what you build (having to defend from monsters and such). I actually even have problems with the way their "end game" works, because it isn't balanced to support ways you want to play; you have to craft this gear and this weapon and fight in this kind of artificial boss arena to stand a chance and screw all that. It's too much trouble for what you get in the end.

The art dude is working with another team on a similar game, only it takes place in space and you can visit as many worlds as you want. It's the same concept only broader. I keep forgetting the name. But even in development it's more robust than Terraria.

I finished Red Faction Armageddon which is much better than I expected, except when

right after beating the final boss the game forces you to play a new level and the real climax is.... defending cores.

At least you unlock a unicorn gun when you beat the game, but I'm not sure I'll bother to replay the game.