gdf

Recently completed video games

The PSP version which is technically the same as the iOS version.

Are you doing the extra stuff? I just went through one extra dungeon once and thought it was a waste of time, also I didn't stop to grind at all in FF I and grinded only a bit in FF II.

It could be the internal clocks are off, but I did start FF II on Friday and ended it Sunday at midnight.

Are you doing the extra stuff? I just went through one extra dungeon once and thought it was a waste of time, also I didn't stop to grind at all in FF I and grinded only a bit in FF II.

I got lost often and plenty, resulting in lots of involuntary grinding, for FFI I stumbled into a dungeon that had weird puzzles and really tough monsters and I thought I was closing in on the end. The boss there just absolutely destroyed me, every time, I did try but wound up checking GameFAQs to see what was up and turns out it was extra content probably meant for after you've finished the game. I've mostly stayed away from extra content otherwise. FFI on the iOS is the first JRPG I ever finished, finished FF2 also and am going through FF3 now also on iOS. Very interesting games, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Finally finished The Witcher last week. Loved it, even though at times I felt overwhelmed with all the stuff going on.

On to The Witcher 2!

I finished Rage on Monday and The Doctor Who Cloned Me on Tuesday.

Rage was a good game, but the engine was quite troublesome and the ending came a little bit suddenly. I was hoping for even more open world actually. Don't know how I managed to miss 16 of those collectible cards. What I really loved in Rage was the amount of easter eggs and other small things iD had put in the game. It got me smiling so much when I found for example the hidden Quake, Wolfenstein and Doom rooms. :)

DNF DLC episode was a good addition too. I didn't want to pay the full price for that so I bought it immediately when they had a 2 euro sale a few weeks ago. The episode was around 3-5 hours long and had a lot of good stuff in it. Apparently it was all cut stuff from DNF. How can you not love the Moon?

I still hate the lack of quicksaves. Such a crucial mistake in game design to have checkpoint saving because of consoles.

Now I'm in the middle of Beyond Good & Evil (Such a great game) and after that Psychonauts replay after six years since the first and only time I got to enjoy the awesome game.

I beat Dragon Quest IV on the DS, it was my first DQ game and it was very different from other JRPGs I've played.

It's very hardcore I guess, you can only save at town, you can't rely on potions to save you, you must resurrect characters in town too (there is a spell that can revive characters, but it can FAIL).

It took me about 30 hours and I used a guide to make sure I didn't get lost. I had to grind a bit at the end to beat the nightmarish boss with SEVEN forms! :eek:

If all DQ final bosses have seven forms, this might be the only DQ game I play...;(

I had no idea about the new DNF DLC, I though all the new DLC was for multiplayer? I might get that DLC if it's ever on sale again.

I feel like I miss out on a lot by not having a DS or Wii, because I haven't even started playing the N64 stuff. It's part of why I wish I lived somewhere in Europe or NA, as trying to go the Nintendo route here is simply not worth the hassle of shipping stuff over. I had a hard enough time with PS1 games.

I've developed a thing for difficult games lately. Not adventure game dream logic hard, but stuff like what Demon's Souls sounds like, where it's always your fault for losing. I need to get around to buying that.

Those are kinda hard to find, many difficult games go the Ninja Gaiden route and make it frustrating difficult where dying is NOT your fault.

Kroms, do you have a PS3? You can buy PSN cards online from other regions and then buy PSOne Classics at the PSN store. Not shipping and probably much cheaper than the physical version of the PSOne game.

Alas:

1. They don't sell PSN cards here.

2. My PS3 is dead and Sony refuses to fix it. I bought it in Canada and Jordan is a PAL region. :frusty:

I might buy another if it gets cheap enough, though.

I just buy them in online stores, there are many trustworthy places that sell them, it's a shame about your PS3 though.

Just finished "Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason". Interesting game, probably the first survival horror game I finished. Are those nuclear ice breakers for real, that thing seemed huge.

I bought the PSP Pirates of the Caribbean games since they were on sale and...

Boy, is the first game dreadful! The combat would a snoozefest if it weren't for the fact that you can use items and smash bottles, shoot guns on enemies and even make them fall in traps, although that gets old fast too.

But the worst part? You can't reach the final level without 25 treasure maps, that unlock 5 battle areans that give you five Kraken statues. And the game will not tell you were are the ones you missed. :frusty:

Oh and did I mention the game is laggy and every seems to constantly slowed down like TSR-80 trying to run Crysis? :tdown:

And I finally bought a PS2 Classic, Donald Duck: Quack Attack, which was pretty fun, but I can't fathom how this could be a kids game, some levels are pretty brutal. It was fun to unlock costumes and get the comic version of Donald Duck.

My only gripe is that they made Gladstone UNLUCKY! At least in a way, that is. Before every boss battle, Gladstone would get squished and bonked, but he would find a nickel, so that's kinda lucky? :erm:

Played through Mass Effect 1 again to refresh for ME3. I went through ME2's intro and kept hitting ME1 keybinds to do stuff, so I'm going to need a bit of a palate-cleanser before really getting back into it.

Finished Bulletstorm last night, really really liked it more than I thought I would. I put it off way too long. Sure it's short, but it's packed to the brim with great stuff.

Huh, apparently Grotesque Tactics 2 is less than 15 hours long.

I enjoyed despite the complete mess this game is, it's VERY buggy! Many parts are still in German and are not translated, some options are just "Text translation missing" and so many quests will remain in the quest log after you complete them...:frusty:

Also:

The ending is just a black screen where the characters talk...

And yet... the game has charm, the voice acting is good, the jokes are usually funny, probably BECAUSE of the good voice acting.

Uncharted 3 :tup:

Well, it's uncharted. I think Uncharted 2 is the best so far. U3 had a lot of annoying parts. A lot of running from things where a single mistake means a complete fail, and often drake wouldn't move as I wanted. Even less exploring in U3, and way more annoying fights. There were also a bunch of pseudo game elements which were more semi-interactive movie segments than actual gameplay (e.g. the plane segment).

Uncharted 3 :tup:

Well, it's uncharted. I think Uncharted 2 is the best so far. U3 had a lot of annoying parts. A lot of running from things where a single mistake means a complete fail, and often drake wouldn't move as I wanted. Even less exploring in U3, and way more annoying fights. There were also a bunch of pseudo game elements which were more semi-interactive movie segments than actual gameplay (e.g. the plane segment).

I agree, Uncharted 2 had the better campaign and sense of adventure by far, but Uncharted 3 is still impressive in its own right. The

flashback

stuff is really great and provided some much-needed character development.

Not quite done yet, but very far into Pushmo / Pullblox. Fun new Nintendo game! It takes a while to get challenging, but it's highly enjoyable all throughout! I wonder how much lasting power it has though. Even though after 180+ puzzles I'm still not done with it, it does still seem like perhaps a little limited idea. Not that it matters greatly... fun.

I finished it and got the credits. Then EXTRA PUSHMO opened up. The last one alone had me going back to it off an on for almost a week before I figured out what I was doing, now I'm just overwhelmed. If there are still 60-ish puzzles left but I've seen credits, should I consider it done?

I had put Skyrim on hold for ages and today I finally picked it up and finished the main quest about an hour later. I had no idea I was that close to the end! :mock:

I had put Skyrim on hold for ages and today I finally picked it up and finished the main quest about an hour later. I had no idea I was that close to the end! :mock:

That main quest does seem like it ends a bit abruptly, doesn't it?

I had a similar experience playing through it.

Not really?

You end up in "Valhalla", fight a dragon with legendary heroes at your side and the remain dragons disband and the old one says he'll make them play nice, I don't think that's too abrupt, although it does leave feeling cheated since you don't get a "The End"?

Man, I feel weird posting after nobody else has, but I really wanted to give my opinion on The Book of Unwritten Tales.

As a comedy adventure games it has the obligatory Monkey Island reference, but it was much later than expected and it didn't annoy me at all, most references are rather subtle, as in you have to think about them to get them and you easily miss them.

It pokes fun at many tropes in games and fantasy setting, but unlike Matt Hazzard, it doesn't show you how annoying something is by forcing to do and say "ISN'T THIS ANNOYING?", it's "Wouldn't that be annoying if we made you do that?"

The game has some brilliant moments I wont' spoil, but also some rough patches and sometimes the references do pile up a bit, but it's never annoying.

I must admit that some scenes did seem almost lifted from Simon the Sorcerer, but when you're making fun of fantasy games, I guess it's bound to happen whether it's intentional or not.

One of the better adventure games I've played this year... Oh, did I mention you get to play a muppet like character for a scene? :tup:

Sounds good. I bought the game, although I'm not able to download it yet due to no internet yet, but it'll give me something to look forward to.