gdf

Recently completed video games

I'm sorry, but I'm not psychic! If the websites that claimed it to be a revolution in gaming, and an experience that everyone must have, have since changed their minds and not mentioned it in their GOTY lists, then it only supports my opinion that we all got suckered in by its technical accomplishments.

<beating a dead horse>Stop saying "we all", please. It's more than clear by now that your opinion on this is far from universal.</beating a dead horse>

I don't know, since I didn't even realize that it was universally hailed as a masterpiece.

Well...? I'd be interested to know, given you quoted my post. Do you believe it was a "stunning accomplishment"? A "sublime experience"? That it "represents a new era in video games", and "succeeds on all fronts"? Do you think it's like no other video game, that it's the "new face of gaming"? Do you believe it's a "masterpiece"?

Or did, maybe, the major sites overlook its many flaws and give it a higher score and praise than it deserved? You may not agree with the score I chose, but that wasn't the point of that post.

The point I was making, though, was that you seemed to be wildly exaggerating the game's throughout the discussion.

I'm guessing the word "flaws" is missing from your sentence?

Again, this is not a 40-49 out of 100 game - not even close. Seems to me, that you were expecting a game that cannot be made (one where driving is awesome but still realistic and fitting your status, for instance) and were unavoidably let down because of that.

I don't think you have any idea what I've been talking about with regards to this game, to be honest. "Driving is awesome but still realistic" is about the last thing I'd be concerned about in a game like this. As a matter of fact, driving around LA was one of my favourite thing about LA Noire -- it was just, unfortunately, utterly pointless, too.

Perhaps you should go back re-read what I wrote about this game, because I don't know where you're coming from. (And perhaps we could continue this discussion in the LA Noire thread?)

I wasn't expecting anything like that (this was supposed to be a horribly bad game after all) and was very positively surprised.

I think if I was expecting a "horribly bad" game I'd probably be nearly as forgiving as you. I might even have a soft spot for it... but I'd still acknowledge its myriad flaws. And boy, was this game flawed.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

<beating a dead horse>Stop saying "we all", please. It's more than clear by now that your opinion on this is far from universal.</beating a dead horse>

What have you done to that horse?! :eek: It was perfectly healthy the last time I saw it!

When have I ever said "we all" in relation to LA Noire before?

What have you done to that horse?! :eek: It was perfectly healthy the last time I saw it!

When have I ever said "we all" in relation to LA Noire before?

It was literally the very post prior to the one you're responding to.

I'm sorry, but I'm not psychic! If the websites that claimed it to be a revolution in gaming, and an experience that everyone must have, have since changed their minds and not mentioned it in their GOTY lists, then it only supports my opinion that we all got suckered in by its technical accomplishments.

Or LA Noire was a very good game in a year with many, many great games. You seem to be building an argument around the idea that LA Noire can only have been the greatest achievement ever or else its dogshit.

Anyways, LA Noire talk back over to the LA Noire thread, i guess.

I don't know if i care enough about LA Noire to remain involved though.

It was literally the very post prior to the one you're responding to.[/Quote]

:shifty:

Or LA Noire was a very good game in a year with many, many great games. You seem to be building an argument around the idea that LA Noire can only have been the greatest achievement ever or else its dogshit.

Hnkgfef. Dgdf. Hg. Sorry, it's hard to talk with all these words you're putting in my mouth. So you're admitting the game was hailed by critics now? Your point was that it never was, remember?

Well...? I'd be interested to know, given you quoted my post. Do you believe it was a "stunning accomplishment"? A "sublime experience"? That it "represents a new era in video games", and "succeeds on all fronts"? Do you think it's like no other video game, that it's the "new face of gaming"? Do you believe it's a "masterpiece"?

Or did, maybe, the major sites overlook its many flaws and give it a higher score and praise than it deserved? You may not agree with the score I chose, but that wasn't the point of that post.

Parts of it were, yes. I had a good time. Hopefully so. No. No. In some ways, yes.

Unless those were the full reviews, I have no idea if the major sites overlooked the game's flaws. The average metacritic seems about right to me.

Not agreeing with the score you chose was the point of my post, incidentially. I'm not one bit interested in the endless debate on video game journalism.

I'm guessing the word "flaws" is missing from your sentence?

Yes, that was a typo. I sometimes make those.

I don't think you have any idea what I've been talking about with regards to this game, to be honest. "Driving is awesome but still realistic" is about the last thing I'd be concerned about in a game like this. As a matter of fact, driving around LA was one of my favourite thing about LA Noire -- it was just, unfortunately, utterly pointless, too.

Perhaps you should go back re-read what I wrote about this game, because I don't know where you're coming from. (And perhaps we could continue this discussion in the LA Noire thread?)

Driving being completely pointless was the first thing you mentioned in the post I quoted and I was simply using it as a handy example. I was not suggesting that it was your biggest concern with the game. I'm sure you made the connection, but I'm glad you decided to take the high road of "I don't think you have any idea what I've been talking about..."

No, I don't think I will go back and re-read what you have written, because I'm utterly bored with this discussion now.

I think if I was expecting a "horribly bad" game I'd probably be nearly as forgiving as you. I might even have a soft spot for it... but I'd still acknowledge its myriad flaws. And boy, was this game flawed.

I was actually not expecting the game to be horribly bad, actually, because I couldn't take all that had been said before seriously.

I beat Xotic, it was a very weird indie FPS.

It's about an evil orb who went insane because it wants a body and is taking over people and destroying their worlds.

I think the game needed more testing because the weapons that actually use ammo lose it too quickly for them to be useful and the hard hologram breaks the game a little, it's a shield and you jump on it, but you can also generate it as many times as you want, there is only a limit to how many you can have in game.

The game play was interesting, you're supposed to kill all enemies in a level, but there are trails of mini orbs to destroy, floating brains and floating crystals to deal with to increase your score. I didn't try that hard and was in the top 250 players, I guess that how many people actually played the game after the level the was an Xmas cheevo? :mock:

It's kinda short, the game shows several worlds in the menu, but the story ends in the middle of those levels and you find out that the other levels don't even exist yet.:erm:

No, I don't think I will go back and re-read what you have written, because I'm utterly bored with this discussion now.

You complete wanker. You take umbridge with one tiny thing I wrote, try to tell me what I thought was wrong with the game (making up ludicrous things), and then when I direct you to what I ACTUALLY thought of the game, you can't be bothered.

With regards to the "no idea what I've been talking about", I was referring to EVERYTHING I've written about the game, not our discussion. I was not insulting your comprehension of our short exchange.

Ok everybody, cooldown time. Things are starting to get personal. Let's take a step back, shall we?

Ok everybody, cooldown time. Things are starting to get personal. Let's take a step back, shall we?

Good idea. I'll just try to clear this thing first. Hope it works.

You complete wanker. You take umbridge with one tiny thing I wrote, try to tell me what I thought was wrong with the game (making up ludicrous things), and then when I direct you to what I ACTUALLY thought of the game, you can't be bothered.

I did not mean to insult or irritate you nor I did I mean to be a dick.

I was not trying to tell you what you thought was wrong with the game either. I was simply using the thing you specifically mentioned in the post I quoted as an example (as I already mentioned). I replied to driving being "utterly pointless" in my previous post, at the same time raising the question how it should have been different – something I genuinely would like to hear opinions on. Perhaps "Driving is awesome but still realistic" was a bit exaggerated/wrong, but I didn't realize you would take it so literally/seriously.

With regards to the "no idea what I've been talking about", I was referring to EVERYTHING I've written about the game, not our discussion. I was not insulting your comprehension of our short exchange.

I honestly thought you deduced that I have no idea what you were talking about because of that one sentence I wrote. Your paragraph really read that way to me – I actually think you can see that too if you re-read your post. I'm really glad this is not the case. I think I read the entire L.A. Noire thread at some point and probably have a decent idea what you thought was wrong with the game. Nevertheless, I still think your grading of the game is partially affected by the (seemingly) very high expectations you had of it. True, mine are probably affected similarly by the negative things I heard on these forums, and the truth is most likely somewhere in between*.

The reason I said I was bored with the discussion, was (a) because I genuinely thought you were implying I have no idea [...] because of that one tiny sentence, (B) because we were mostly talking about two different subjects, © because I'm on a holiday in Rome and don't want to ruin it by arguing about things that are, after all, quite pointless and (d) because I was afraid it would turn into something like this.

* But it is not 40+/100. :P

Lol. Well thank you for that, and I apologise if I made it sound like you couldn't understand a simple sentence. You wouldn't know this, but I originally wrote, "maybe you should go back and re-read what I wrote", implying you'd already read it, but when I took the time to find my pseudo-review and link to it, I apparently dropped the "re-" bit.

If you can find the time to read my thoughts in the link I shared, I honestly think you'll AGREE with what I wrote. Really.

Sorry for going off. I had no less than three people putting words in my mouth:

JonCole claiming that I've repeatedly stated with authority that everyone was suckered in by the game's technical feats... when I've NEVER said before this thread (and I only said it ONCE here).

Sno claiming that I'm trying to say LA Noire's absence from GOTY lists is proof that it's "dogshit". Again, not only have I never claimed the game was a peice of shit (belonging to any animal), I've actually said the opposite: There were moments when I REALLY enjoyed playing it.

And finally I had you claiming that I "exaggerated the game's flaws" in my assessment of it. And when I give you a link to my ACTUAL assessment of it, you refused to read it.

So yes, I got pretty annoyed.

Sorry for calling you a wanker. I hope this altercation hasn't in any way marred your trip to Rome, and that you really enjoy the rest of your stay :tup:

Good! I apologize for all the confusion too.

And finally I had you claiming that I "exaggerated the game's flaws" in my assessment of it. And when I give you a link to my ACTUAL assessment of it, you refused to read it.

So yes, I got pretty annoyed.

Sorry for calling you a wanker. I hope this altercation doesn't spoil your trip to Rome! :tup:

"Exaggerating the game's flaws" was again based on the review score you (I know, I know.. that again, but that was the point I was mainly disagreeing with you :)). I would probably have (re-)read your post if I hadn't had other things to do (and being quite annoyed by the misunderstanding). I will definitely read it later. I won't promise to comment on it, as this discussion has continued perhaps too long already, but I might.

No worries, this didn't ruin my trip. I'm just glad it got sorted out!

Just finished Drake 3. Great game, shame about the ending. In fact, was pretty much the same as the ending to the 2nd one. I think 2nd was my fave, the story was mega. The story in the 3rd was good (by other game standards) by mediocre by it's own high ones.

Enjoyable.

Batman:AC - very good game, also very enjoyable. Fighting much improved.

Good! I apologize for all the confusion too.

"Exaggerating the game's flaws" was again based on the review score you (I know, I know.. that again, but that was the point I was mainly disagreeing with you :)). I would probably have (re-)read your post if I hadn't had other things to do (and being quite annoyed by the misunderstanding). I will definitely read it later. I won't promise to comment on it, as this discussion has continued perhaps too long already, but I might.

You shouldn't get too hung up on that score. 1. I'm not tied to it (as you'll discover once you read my thoughts) and 2. I come from the Amiga Power School Of Review Scores™ where 50% means AVERAGE. So I honestly don't think I've exaggerated the game's flaws at all.

To be clear, the only point i was making was that, usual hyperbolic IGN-esque reviews aside, i'm not sure the game was ever universally hailed as a masterpiece, and neither was it despised. I think it was a very good game, and i think most of the reception to that game reflects a more moderate opinion about it. I specifically recall seeing a lot of very measured and critical discussion about the successes and failures of the game.

Thunderpeel seemed to be coming from the perspective of thinking it was a bad game, and being disappointed because he perceived the reception as having been extremely positive. Obviously, i do not think that it was a bad game, or that the reception had been overwhelmingly positive.

Anyways, glad that people are calming down, this would have been a dumb thing to get really vitriolic about.

You shouldn't get too hung up on that score. 1. I'm not tied to it (as you'll discover once you read my thoughts) and 2. I come from the Amiga Power School Of Review Scores™ where 50% means AVERAGE. So I honestly don't think I've exaggerated the game's flaws at all.

I generally want to agree with scoring philosophies like this, but the reality is that the vast majority of the gaming world works on that 60-100 scoring scale, and trying to stand out from it is ripe with misunderstanding and confusion. (Score aggregators have really only made things worse.)

JonCole claiming that I've repeatedly stated with authority that everyone was suckered in by the game's technical feats... when I've NEVER said before this thread (and I only said it ONCE here).

Really? This is seriously happening again? When did I ever come close to saying you "repeatedly stated with authority that everyone was suckered in"? All I said is that "we all" is too broad for my liking, especially since a handful of people posting in these very forums have stated satisfaction with this game.

I feel like I shouldn't have to work on any post to avoid offending you or "putting words in your mouth". I want to say this with absolutely no tongue-in-cheek: chill out, bro.

Ummm... okay, this sort of feels like walking into a bar to order a drink but before you do, some dude smashes through the front window and lands at your feet. Fuck it, I'm ordering anyhow.

I just finished Back to the Future: Episodes 1-4, and I'm about to start Episode 5. Telltale really went to great lengths to make sure this felt like a genuine BTTF experience, and so far it shines. There's even a few subtle Star Wars references and other fun stuff to discover. Recommended!

When did I ever come close to saying you "repeatedly stated with authority that everyone was suckered in"?

Did you forget your "beating dead horse" bit?

I can't believe people argue over review scores in 2012. I might expect it on the IGN forums but at Idle Thumbs? Jesus Christ.

I can't believe people argue over review scores in 2012. I might expect it on the IGN forums but at Idle Thumbs? Jesus Christ.

I give your post 81.5%

That post deserved a 9999.99! BIAS! BIAS! You obviously hate Thompson for not giving him an aubergine out of camel!

I beat the Force Unleashed II, which was fun and short, it's strange it didn't get repetitive despite you're fighting the same enemies and sometimes you practically visit the same levels too!

Oh, it also had a Monkey Island cameo, that doubles as a secret to unlock the Guybrush Threepwood costume! You fight like a Bantha farmer! :mock:

Oh, it also had a Monkey Island cameo, that doubles as a secret to unlock the Guybrush Threepwood costume! You fight like a Bantha farmer! :mock:

Wait wait wait. What?

Batman:AC - very good game, also very enjoyable. Fighting much improved.

That's interesting, I hadn't really thought about the fighting being something that had changed in Arkham City. What was it that made you find it improved? Is it the introduction of more gadgets into it? Those are somewhat entertaining, though I'm not sure I have them all yet and frequently forget to use them if I'm finding a fight difficult.