gdf

Recently completed video games

Managed to finally complete DNF. Took apparently 19.8 hours according to Steam clock and I started this in August so this took three months in real time, man I'm really slow playing games damnit. I'm soon like Jake or probably worse already.

Going to write later something in the games thread and throw a link here.

EDIT: http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=183862&postcount=271

Edited by Kolzig

I'm soon like Jake or probably worse already.

Ha; I just finished Puzzle Agent 2 and saw the copyright date of 2011. I thought to myself, "Wow, I finally finished a Telltale game the year it came out."

Then I thought, "...but Jake, by definition, had to finish it first."

I remember being very jealous of both back in the day, though BS3 is a crappy crate pushing game compared to the greatness that is Psychonauts.

Also those that are in the credits are awarded the displeasure of listening to that horrible song while trying to find their name.

Also I completed Prince of Persia Rival Swords on PSP. Better than the extended Warrior Within release before and this one actually adds a small amount of new story to Two Thrones. Extra levels were not as extensive though. I guess that doesn't matter if they are just done well.

I finished the rest of the Painkiller series (before I only beat the Black edition) and the quality seems to be getting worse with each game?

Overdose was great fun, but it got a bit tedious near the middle of the game, but any game with demon fetus grenades is cool in my book! :tup:

Redemption seemed a bit lazy, it's short and each level is just a few rooms where you fight enemies until you're sick of it and then fight a little more until you lose your will to live and then.... you do it all over again in the next room.

Resurrection? That's such a mess it's almost funny! The level design is so terrible you'll get lost in each level for ages! The route I following in the "Haunted City" is so ridiculous I wouldn't be surprised if anybody gave up on this level and the next level? It's just three screen where you fight until you're sick of it!

I also love how every loading screen reminds you that it's a fan made project, as if they think we should forgive it's shoddiness because of it...

Oh! The best part of the game is when an angel warned me that I'd have a huge boss fight... only to have the game glitch out and skip it! I think the enemy spawns in the middle of the water and dies immediately, but I can't confirm it since you don't even get to see it! XD

Speaking of Painkiller: Black Edition - how the fuck are you supposed to defeat that tornado-wielding titan at the end of the first chapter or whatever? The one in the cemetery? That damn tornado ends me.

I just finished Resonance of Fate, really great game. I think i would count it among my favorite RPG's. :tup:

The battle system and game mechanics are just so unique and well conceived. Everything is very deep and woven together in interesting ways, very rewarding game to sort out and understand.

Don't play it for a story. The world is cool, but there's kind of a status quo throughout. The tone is very casual and jovial, it never builds into any particular sense of urgency and the plot never really develops into anything.

I also just played El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron.

I couldn't find any mention of this game having being discussed on this board when i ran a search, so i'm going to assume nobody is particularly interested in it.

It's a weird, cool game. Has an incredibly basic tool set that it manages to make deep, interesting action gameplay out of. There's a lot of rough spots, a lot of things that feel kind of janky, but i think i'm just on the side of wanting to recommend this game.

So the story, right? It's an apocryphal book of abrahamic mythology as lensed through a Japanese game designer who had worked on products such as Okami and Devil May Cry. Which all maybe sounds like it lends to something really crazy, but in the context of this game it ultimately really doesn't matter much. What you get is a pretty straight forward narrative with no apparent ambitions beyond turning the Book of Enoch into an action game.

The art though, the art is the reason to play this game. Holy shit. I don't even want to say anything and ruin the impact of those visuals, just incredible art direction in this game.

The credits for Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty are rolling slowly up my TV screen as I type this.

To be honest, I'm disappointed with the game, even though it's just to serve as a creative interlude between the previous and next games, I still feel that a bit more work could have been put into it as the setting was the only thing that really felt new.

The games are notorious for being rather light-hearted, and the game at least stuck to that, I got it for free from the PSN welcome back package but I'm starting to feel slightly cheated, I think inFamous might have been a better choice.

Still though, it passed the time and I can now say I've completed it I suppose.

I just "beat" Pokemon Black! Of course, that just means that I completed the Pokemon League and main storyline, but there's still plenty of other junk to go. I just realized at some point that I never really maintained the momentum to get to the end of the modern Pokemon game, what with Platinum and SoulSilver sitting on the shelf collecting dust with about 6 - 7 badges collected in each.

That said, Black easily has the best plot and most unique gameplay progression in the DS generation of Pokemon games. The simple act of making none of the previous games' Pokemon available until after defeating the Elite Four made the new set that much more interesting. Take that, consider that many of the new Pokemon had type combinations that had never before been seen before, and the "Gotta Catch Em All" thing gains some degree of appeal after all these years. Honestly, if you haven't played Pokemon for years this (and Pokemon White, that is) is really a fantastic entry point. It took me 70 hours just to beat the main campaign, which means you will already be well versed in the new mechanics before you get the "opportunity" to delve into the huge (read: daunting) back catalog of Pokemon.

I just "beat" Pokemon Black! Of course, that just means that I completed the Pokemon League and main storyline, but there's still plenty of other junk to go. I just realized at some point that I never really maintained the momentum to get to the end of the modern Pokemon game, what with Platinum and SoulSilver sitting on the shelf collecting dust with about 6 - 7 badges collected in each.

That said, Black easily has the best plot and most unique gameplay progression in the DS generation of Pokemon games. The simple act of making none of the previous games' Pokemon available until after defeating the Elite Four made the new set that much more interesting. Take that, consider that many of the new Pokemon had type combinations that had never before been seen before, and the "Gotta Catch Em All" thing gains some degree of appeal after all these years. Honestly, if you haven't played Pokemon for years this (and Pokemon White, that is) is really a fantastic entry point. It took me 70 hours just to beat the main campaign, which means you will already be well versed in the new mechanics before you get the "opportunity" to delve into the huge (read: daunting) back catalog of Pokemon.

I'd agree that the storyline is the best written of the series, but that didn't stop me from getting the major plot twist way before it happened.

Also, considering it's an RPG based on granting rewards for completing tasks, I'm constantly annoyed that there is never a reward for truly "Catching Them All" especially when the system of fun battles and legendary pokemon are already in place and could most likely fill that role with ease.

Just finished Skyward Sword the other day, Loved every second of that game, and will love every second I put into Hero mode

what's hero-mode? some kind of new game plus?

It's harder and things change place, if memory serves me well. I think some items only appear on this mode though.

I'd agree that the storyline is the best written of the series, but that didn't stop me from getting the major plot twist way before it happened.

Also, considering it's an RPG based on granting rewards for completing tasks, I'm constantly annoyed that there is never a reward for truly "Catching Them All" especially when the system of fun battles and legendary pokemon are already in place and could most likely fill that role with ease.

Yeah, it's really a failing that they rely so heavily on events for distribution of the best legendaries. They should use them as an incentive for catching more Pokemon instead.

Yeah, it's really a failing that they rely so heavily on events for distribution of the best legendaries. They should use them as an incentive for catching more Pokemon instead.

Best Legendaries is the name of my brewing company :).

Just finished up Bastion. Holy shit, what a game. It looks so damn good, it sounds so damn good and it plays so damn well, how the hell such a small team made something that rivals anything AAA devs are making is beyond me. I really can't think of a better video game soundtrack either.

My first game beaten of 2012! Hector Episode 1: We Negotiate With Terrorists!

Of course, since it's an adventure game it has the "Obligatory Monkey Island Reference TM", but one of them was pretty subtle, so I can forgive them.

Bloody hilarious! :tup:

Just finished L.A. Noire. It has it's flaws for sure but it certainly isn't a game deserving of a review score in the 40%s. It just isn't.

My biggest complaint, in fact, is that the PC version came with all the DLC in the box, making the game just a tad too long. I liked how the actual investigation part of the storyline came together, though. I was also very impressed by the strong sensation of being surrounded by complete dicks at one moment and almost friends the next, even if the constant remarks made by the people around me was a bit annoying at times. I actually cared about my partners a bit - something that hasn't happened very often with video games.

The game also has the best ever GPS substitute I have come across in a video game. Not having to look at the map all the time and just asking your partner for directions every now and then felt really good and natural.

So, it's like Shenmue?

I beat The Undergarden, I can't remember the last time I was so bored by a game, it's supposed to be a "zen" physics puzzle, but it's not relaxing, it's boring! All you do is drag a seed to it's very obvious target until you reach the next seed, sure there are different kinds of seeds, but the lack of variety and engagement is staggering.

(It's also very, very, very, I can't believe it was that short and that boring)

Oh, I also beat Axel & Pixel, a Samorost styled game.. with QTEs and minigames?:tmeh:

But the driving was completely pointless. It added nothing to the game, and actually penalised you for wanting to do it...! If you take away the fancy graphics, you're left with a very sub-par game.

Anyways, regardless of that, do you agree with the major review sites that it deserved to be hailed as a "masterpiece"? That was the point of the post you linked to, after all.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

But the driving was completely pointless. It added nothing to the game, and actually penalised you for wanting to do it...! If you take away the fancy graphics, you're left with a very sub-par game.

The driving felt no more pointless than driving between two locations in GTA or Mafia. It was also completely optional. I simply don't see how it could have been handled differently (some driving minigame perhaps?) or, in fact, what was the problem. At least you can get to know your partners and get a feel of the city.

I didn't think the graphics were particularly fancy. I'd say that if you take away the characters, the city and era as well as the story (both the one about corruption and the stories of the people you encounter throughout your investigation) then you might end up with a sub-par game. They were there, though, with a gameplay to go with them. The gunfights weren't as good as in AAA action games, but they did their job, and I actually enjoyed the occasional chase (although, they were quite scripted). The proper policework was for the most parts very interesting.

Anyways, regardless of that, do you agree with the major review sites that it deserved to be hailed as a "masterpiece"? That was the point of the post you linked to, after all.

I don't know, since I didn't even realize that it was universally hailed as a masterpiece. The point I was making, though, was that you seemed to be wildly exaggerating the game's throughout the discussion. Again, this is not a 40-49 out of 100 game - not even close. Seems to me, that you were expecting a game that cannot be made (one where driving is awesome but still realistic and fitting your status, for instance) and were unavoidably let down because of that. I wasn't expecting anything like that (this was supposed to be a horribly bad game after all) and was very positively surprised.

In my opinion, L.A. Noire tries something very different from most all games, and for the most parts succeeds in doing so really well.

I thought the game was mechanically broken beyond forgiveness. I'll normally let mechanical issues slide if a game has a great storyline and/or art style, but I just wasn't feeling it with LA Noire.

I'd ramble on, but I've already done so in blog form. Read here...

http://caffeinemonster.tumblr.com/post/8034320486/how-l-a-noire-failed-to-learn-from-a-generation-of

... and if you're too lazy to click, the general idea is that "L.A. Noire is a terribly broken game, not because it tried to be new and different, but because it failed to learn from a generation of adventure games."

[/shameless]

The fact that LA Noire has seemingly been absent from most places' yearly award wrap-ups seems to indicate strongly that it wasn't hailed as a masterpiece, and was in most estimations simply a very good game.

I admire that those guys had the guts to make such an enormous and over-produced adventure game. Not even just a big-budget adventure game, but one with a 1940's crime noir theme. It is crazy to me that LA Noire exists at all.

It definitely has problems, chiefly in that it wants to be taken so seriously and appear so realistic, it even moreso cannot escape that there is still some gamey-ass shit on display. Also the issues with occasional lapses into the uncanny valley and the debatably needless open-world structure.

You know, but hey, i really enjoyed it.

Finished DXHR DLC: The Missing Link

It was ok, specially for the price I paid (steam sale). Took me about 6 hours to go through it. It's not a great extra mission. It's way to straight forward and has quite some backtracking. But it's fun nonetheless. It's a bit weird, because you start off with a blank slate, so no inventory and basic augments. This makes it quite difficult if you go for the stealth approach because the difficulty is a bit higher.

A good thing is that the "boss fight" is much more like the original Deus Ex "boss fights", so you can stealth it up, or go in guns blazing.

Interesting thing: there's an achievement for finishing the DLC with only using takedowns and no augment upgrades.

The fact that LA Noire has seemingly been absent from most places' yearly award wrap-ups seems to indicate strongly that it wasn't hailed as a masterpiece, and was in most estimations simply a very good game.

I admire that those guys had the guts to make such an enormous and over-produced adventure game. Not even just a big-budget adventure game, but one with a 1940's crime noir theme. It is crazy to me that LA Noire exists at all.

It definitely has problems, chiefly in that it wants to be taken so seriously and appear so realistic, it even moreso cannot escape that there is still some gamey-ass shit on display. Also the issues with occasional lapses into the uncanny valley and the debatably needless open-world structure.

You know, but hey, i really enjoyed it.

That said, the Giant Bomb guys talked about the game quite extensively in their Game of the Year discussions and ultimately felt generally positive about the game. Despite some rough spots, there are plenty of things to glom onto and feel good about when you're done with that game.

I'm sorry, but I'm not psychic! If the websites that claimed it to be a revolution in gaming, and an experience that everyone must have, have since changed their minds and not mentioned it in their GOTY lists, then it only supports my opinion that we all got suckered in by its technical accomplishments.