gdf

Recently completed video games

I beat a few of the PSP games I got on the sale that going on.

Sid Meier's Pirates is still awesome on the PSP, although it seems to have some glitches, like ships rocketing through the screen, even through land and sometimes named pirates never appear, but it was the most fun I've had in a while!

Tekken 6 is kinda amazing looking on the PSP, but the new boss is terrible, he makes Seth look fair! A giant dragon creature? With a ridiculous reach AND cheap attacks that take up half the screen? I expect that from a Marvel Vs. Capcom game, but Tekken? :frusty:

I've only played with 25% of the characters, but Tekken has so many now it's ludicrous! The only new character that I've played with so are Leo and Bob, which are pretty cool! :tup:

The only thing that I think I should mention is that for some strange reason story mode only has 4 stages, it's probably because there are so many characters to play as or maybe because the final boss is so cheap it doesn't matter, you'll be playing for ages?:erm:

Finished playing Little King's Story last week. Oh man. :tup:

Love the overall aesthetics of this game. It's so completely utterly charming in everything it does, especially the FMV sequences:

bxhVH_5vZzM

It's a mashup between a light action-strategy game like Pikmin and a city-building game. You go out on expeditions to fill your kingdom's treasury, expand your territory by defeating bosses and rival kings, and build your kingdom up to recruit new citizens and gain the ability to train new soldier types.

While it might look "kiddy," the boss battles are no joke. If you're not careful, you can lose civilians in battle. Sometimes they wash up safe and sound on the beach. And sometimes they die for good, prompting their friends in town to dress in black for a day and hold a funeral that night.

The pathfinding is irritating until you get the "evade" formation (which lets your troops follow you single-file), and it can get a bit tedious if you're a completionist or feel so bad for your men that you want to avoid all casualties, but there's really no reason not to play it.

Finished Max Payne (again) and Max Payne 2 (for the first time) last week. I'm surprised how well the game's graphics hold up today. Both games are very balanced in difficulty, which means, for me, I never had a moment where I got frustrated and came close to quitting. Nor did I find it too easy. I don't know why it took me so long to play Max Payne 2. I already enjoyed the first one when it came out.

Finished Max Payne (again) and Max Payne 2 (for the first time) last week. I'm surprised how well the game's graphics hold up today. Both games are very balanced in difficulty, which means, for me, I never had a moment where I got frustrated and came close to quitting. Nor did I find it too easy. I don't know why it took me so long to play Max Payne 2. I already enjoyed the first one when it came out.

Those games have a very successfully executed dynamic difficulty scheme, which probably explains why they seemed so balanced.

Mind if i ask which one you enjoyed more?

I was never much a fan of the sequel, but the first Max Payne remains a favorite.

Trine:tup::tmeh:

Really liked the design and the progression that the player is thrown in. I even like the story(well, the way it was presented). The thing that got on my nerves is that the game for me falls apart when one of your three characters dies. You are left with two characters that can do some of the things, but sometimes it makes the game just frustrating because you can't do what you want to and are forced into doing something silly. I hope second one has an unified health bar.

Those games have a very successfully executed dynamic difficulty scheme, which probably explains why they seemed so balanced.

Mind if i ask which one you enjoyed more?

I was never much a fan of the sequel, but the first Max Payne remains a favorite.

Awesome. Didn't know that. I enjoyed the story of Max Payne 1 more. And it had the best ending. It was also a much lengthier game. But I must also say that Max Payne 2's gameplay was an improvement. Not a big one, but enough for me to notice. Its story was less interesting, and I didn't like the frequent switching between past and current time. And they didn't have to change the character model for Max, if you ask me.

My interest in the forthcoming Max Payne 3 has been renewed, although after reading about it, I'm afraid they will screw it up.

If at some point a character refers to me as "dearest of all my friends" I'm in for Max Payne 3. I know it's kind of a dumb thing, but that would be enough to twig my nostalgia-buying reflex.

Also, fun fact about Max Payne 1: When I played it the first time, I was 13 or something and couldn't cope with the end-game stuff. I played through pretty much the entire third act with God Mode enabled. This caused the adaptive difficulty to freak out in all sorts of "HOW IS THIS NOT KILLING HIM???" ways, and meant that essentially every enemy ever was carrying a rocket launcher and had a ridiculous amount of health.

Finished Prince of Persia Revelations on PSP, the gimped handheld version of Warrior Within that is twice as long. About half of the new areas/levels were great while the other half was a mess of graphics that looked like they game from the N64 era and collision broken messes. Eh, worth the experience, I suppose, but the regular version is the one to stick to.

I finished Machinarium. I'm going to save my thoughts for a review for my stupid blog, which is in dire need of an update, but the bottom line is this: Machinarium falls heartbreakingly short of greatness. I bought it off the Amanita Design website for $20 a while back, because I wanted to directly support them, and I regret it. Bad decisions make the game worse than it should be, especially when it has some individual moments of brilliance. Unless you really love adventure games, I'd suggest getting it for $5 or $10 - the individual moments make it worth that much, as does the soundtrack. Otherwise - and it really hurts to say this - I would suggest skipping it.

(Alas, the soundtrack is missing the

of the whole game. Still good, though.)

I finished Machinarium and I hated it etc.

whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatWHAT.I thought it was fantastic! How could you disagree?

whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatWHAT.I thought it was fantastic! How could you disagree?

I didn't hate it! I thought it was OK. Not a classic or anything, but hardly David Cage.

I finally beat a Harvest Moon game, I always considered that game "cursed", I rented the first and could never find it again, I bought the sequel but it deleted my save file for some reason...

I cheated on the GBA one which ruined it for me so I quit and the DS one ALSO deleted my save file, right after I proposed to the girl I was dating in the game! :frusty:

Hero of Leaf Valley is a more interesting one, you're not here to save you farm, you're here to save the whole town! You have two years to either make enough money or get help from the villagers to save the town!

It got tedious at the end, because I had way too much money and I just had to wait until the final day, and I got enough villagers' quests so I wouldn't have to pay anyway...

It sucks that the game doesn't let you marry your girl until the game is "over", and only then it give you the best tools to make farming easier...

The worst part? The hero got a letter from his parents telling him that he needed X amount of money before two years were over to prove he was serious about the farm or return home, and I already had three time that amount... Since I knew this was just overtime, I just got the new upgrades, got married and quit...

Finished Alpha Protocol. A great game. Sure, the AI showed some flaws, the boss fights didn't really fit in most of the time, but I still think some of those negative reviews I've read were way too harsh. Too bad a sequel will probably never come.

Finished Ikaruga. On easy. With 5 or 6 continues. Like two years after I bought it on XBLA. :getmecoat

And yes, that includes the actual final boss where

you can't shoot for 60 seconds

Finished Ikaruga. On easy. With 5 or 6 continues. Like two years after I bought it on XBLA. :getmecoat

And yes, that includes the actual final boss where

you can't shoot for 60 seconds

Pffft, I don't think you can really say you've "finished" a game like that unless you are able to 1CC it. :mock:

Nor is "finishing" a game like that even the point.

Anyways, go play Radiant Silvergun now. :tup:

No, it only counts as finished if you 1CC it blindfolded, with your feet and with two angry bums you pay 5$ so one constantly screams in your ear and the other is constantly shaking and poking you.... :mock:

Since the PSP is the only thing I have to pay with I beat a few PSP games:

Who's That Flying? is a very strange shmup, you're immortal, but for every enemy you let through the city takes damage and you have a combo bar for super attacks that you lose if you let an enemy go... It was so-so, but innovative.

Would you believe the older Dynasty/Samurai Warrior games ported to the PSP have much more strategy than the modern games? They are both turned based and while Samurai Warriors is more about setting and avoiding traps for the enemy, Dynasty Warriors is mostly about finding the perfect route to reach the enemy base before you run out supplies while being strong enough to take it.

I also finally finished the PSP Assassin's Creed game that takes place between 1 & 2.... You can skip it's barely adds anything to the story and the guard are ridiculously stupid! A restricted area with two guards? You can stealth stab one right in front of the other guard and he won't do a thing... until you try to enter the restricted area, but you can stab him easily, they only seem to notice if they looking directly at you when you stab their friend and only sometimes?

Bastion :tup:

Fun game, beautiful art. The continuous story telling is quite nice. It's a real shame you can't return to previous areas you visited. You just keep continuing along a linear path. It's way longer than I would have thought, but it wasn't too long.

I'd like a more action/adventure like game set in this whole style. That would be absolutely awesome.

Block's That Matter :tup:

A fun little platform puzzle game. I finished the story part of the game. I really hates the few "big mamma" encounters. Unlike other levels these encounters are timed levels, stand still for too long (or be too slow) and you're dead.

The other levels are good, puzzle difficultly is good. I never had the problem that I couldn't figure out how to beat the level. Great thing is that if you want more difficulty you can go for the 2 challenges each level has: getting a special block, and finishing with enough blocks to get a star. Specially getting the star is often difficult.

[thread=7874]Thread about this game[/thread].

So I've spent near enough the past month trying to finish off some games and have actually been quite successful :)

First up was Bioshock 1. It was quite good although I could feel it's age (if that makes sense to anyone lol), it's one of those games where I get motion sickness with :/ and it only tends to happen with older games. The story was really good and I really enjoyed the plasmids and the latter half of the game, although I found the end boss relatively easy.

Next up was Donkey Kong Country Returns. Played the entire game in coop with my wife. It was extremely frustrating at times and I found the last world fairly unbalanced. We struggled incredibly to get past the first level but then breezed through the next 3 or 4 lol. Overall it was really enjoyable, even though my wife struggled at times but thankfully I could just get Diddy on Donkey's back and play through the harder parts myself.

I also finished off World of Goo on the Wii. I've had it since it released a couple of years back but never got round to finishing it off. I was quite surprised that the game kept coming up with new goo ball types and other stuff, all the way till the end of the game really enjoyed it. :)

Finally I bought and finished W40K Space Marine on PS3. The story was fairly average and the single player campaign got repetitive near the end but the online is by far the shining point of this game! The customization, classes, weapons and perks work really well and give you that carrot on a stick to keep playing and trying to use all of the weapons regularly for the Weapon and Armour Challenges. I'm still playing this one online now as it's really fun, also Relic are releasing the coop "Horde" mode at the end of the month, so more good times :D

Next in cooker I've got Metro 2033 which I'm really enjoying so far, and Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising. I've managed to plow through quite a few games this past month, but I've made it worse overall because on top of the games I already had waiting to be played, I've just got all them games from the humble bundle :fart:

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, I've played (and beaten) Manhunt 2 and I know I MUST KILL YOU!

(I hoping some veteran Thumber will catch the reference):oldman:

So... yeah... I beat the infamous game! It was the PSP version that was censored, but the censored version didn't seem that gory to me, even the first God Of War was more gory than this! It was like playing Splinter Cell, only not as good? Like all Rockstar games, you can just run from your problems if spotted, hide and try again later.

And even though I could see where most of the story was going, I actually enjoyed it!

Also, I kinda like the censored version more, the static effect you get instead of the gore seems a bit symbolic of his "inner static"?:erm:

Finally did the last couple of hundred yards of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Or D3us 3x, as it should be known. Bloody Hell, that's a game that gets a bit messy at the end. Still, a very good game. Although the way that NPCs would occasionally whistle the theme tune to the original Deus Ex meant that I got the immersion-breaking earworm:

I'm Adam Jensen, and I've got a metal leg,

Adam Jensen, and I've got a metal arm,

Plus a metal leg,

And a metal arm,

And I'm sad because I couldn't keep my ex from harm

Also, as a stealth-based non-lethal build the bosses were rather annoying -

I ended up carrying a turret up to the BodyWorlds exhibit, dropping it outside the elevator and gas-grenading Jaron, then cowered in a corner as it chopped him into hamburger.

Finally beat Aquanox (1) however many years after it first came out and I got it something like three days afterwards.

It's on GOG for 5 bucks, give it a spin. It is terrible in wonderful ways, and a pretty damn good game besides. (Warning: Severe rose tint.)

Rage :tmeh:

Just finished the game. I think it took me about 18 hours to do almost everything. (Steam says 20, but there were times I left rage running while getting lunch at stuff). So it's not a short game. The main part of the game doesn't get boring. The optional racing does get boring. I finished 1st for all races in the 1st hub world. But I didn't bother to do that for the next races. Specially not because those races where mostly rallys instead of races. In a rally you have to collect 50 points by being first at certain checkpoints. That race type is worked out quite terrible. The normal races are much better, although the difficulty is way too low, it's quite easy finishing first when you have the correct upgrades for your rides. Other than getting tokens for car upgrades there is no real need to do those races. So if everything is updated you can stop bothering with them. The side missions of the game come in a few forms: give sniper cover; racing from checkpoint to checkpoint; and in some cases go to X and press a button or kill people. I think some "main" missions are also optional. Every mission/level is very linear, and you pretty much always end about a few meters away from the place where you entered, but now that door is open. AI is terrible, just take cover and take out the enemies that run/walk into your fire. The most difficult part is actually when imps (ok, "mutants") run to you and clobber you to death.

Yes, this game is pretty much DOOM with an added driving element and hubs. There is no RPG like elements, no dialogue trees, no leveling, etc. The inventory is utter shit, designed for consoles and not fixed for the PC. You have 4 weapon slots (even thought there are only about 10 weapons in total that you carry with you all the time) and 4 consumable slots. Switching weapons and ammo is a real PITA, it's easier to go into the inventory menu to switch weapon than it is to select it in-game.

A lot has been said about the graphical quality of the game, but I'll say a little bit. Just like DNF the quality of textures and models is very inconsistent. A lot of things are of high details (weapons/NPCs/mountains) but a lot of other stuff (even stuff you have to get close to like switches) have very low quality models and textures. It's often an eyesore. Rage should be viewed from a distance, but most missions take place in tight corridors.

The world you live in is also almost completely static. There is no segments where a building collapses or something. The best you would get is an explosion and then there's a hole in a wall.

Audio quality isn't that great either. Apparently positional audio wasn't on the checklist. Music appears to be linked to positions in the world rather than actual activity. I didn't like the soundtrack, it did not contribute anything to the atmosphere, and sounds like the usual "epic movie music".

I'm quite disappointed on the lack of "eye for detail" and "polishing". I really get the feeling that they spend a lot of time to create great looking pictures at some places, and ignoring the rest. And maybe they spend too much time on the various easter eggs (like the DOOM1 and Quake levels).

So my final verdict about this game is: :tmeh:

But if I would rate this game as a standard ID Software FPS game: :tup:

ps, They don't try to hide the fact that Rage is Doom. The final weapon you get uses "BFG ammo". Also the "dead city" level is pretty much straight out of doom. The mutants are imps, there's even a hell daemon.

I just finished Blackwell Deception.... it's the best one yet! :tup:

I can't say more without spoiling it! :3