gdf

Recently completed video games

A.R.E.S. :tmeh:

A platform game that's about keeping the fire button pressed at all times and jumping. The game is ok, the art is quite nice, although a bit weird. The world is 3D, but I think all enemies and the player are actually sprites. The music is great. The game is fairly easy, but in the later levels there are a bunch of instant dead sequences which are seriously annoying. Specially because the previous checkpoint is rather far away.

Limbo (PS3) :tup:

I was going to get this for the PC, but I tried the demo on PSN... So I had to buy it.

This game is awesome. The puzzles are challenging, but not too difficult. And whole theme/mood is just great. Those NPCs that try to kill you on occasion are great. And the game is quite morbid. It's an absolute must-play.

The secret level introduce with the PS3 release is also great, and seriously challenging. Dodging things in complete darkness just by timing and sound... man... Real classic platform game stuff going on in there (i.e. failing just before a checkpoint and blood rising to boiling temperature).

The spider segments in Limbo were really awesome, probably the best part.

Now Braid isn't lonely anymore there at the top. :tup:

I played Dark Sector and... I had lots of fun playing it! :tup:

The story is rather silly with the "Guyver zombies", but I really had fun throwing the glaive around and wrecking hacov. The normal weapons aren't that necessary, I just bought the one handed uzi and used all the upgrades I could on it and I don't think I ever used the last weapon I bought, it's just one of those "it's not the best, so it's the worst games" I suppose. For the price I got it on the Steam sale it was a great purchase!

And then I beat Damnation, the "steampunk" game, which to me isn't that steampunk and more of a sci-fi western, and I consider Wild Wild West Steampunk! I know steampunk is anachronistic, but that's not enough, it has have a certain look and style.

Gamewise, it was just OK, it has some good moments, it's fairly straightforward, but the story is just silly. In a steampunk story the heroes were almost anti-industrialism and too eco-friendly at some moments. Not half as fun as Dark Sector, but not actually that bad, but I can see why some many people hate it.

I played Dark Sector and... I had lots of fun playing it! :tup:

The story is rather silly with the "Guyver zombies", but I really had fun throwing the glaive around and wrecking hacov. The normal weapons aren't that necessary, I just bought the one handed uzi and used all the upgrades I could on it and I don't think I ever used the last weapon I bought, it's just one of those "it's not the best, so it's the worst games" I suppose. For the price I got it on the Steam sale it was a great purchase!

I actually really liked Dark Sector too. Due to the lukewarm response to it, I remember I got it for < $5 so it was a pretty great value for a solid third-person shooter.

I tried to play Damnation a long while ago. I quite hated the gameplay so I stopped quite soon. I was really interested in the concept, but... erg... the gameplay :/

Maybe mediocre games are more palatable on easy mode? Then again, I must confess, that since I heard this game was pretty bad, I looked for cheats and unlocked the super gun. One hit kills with gibs everywhere make a game a bit more fun.

Come to think of it, the last "stinker" I played that everybody hated was quite fun when I found cheat codes for it too. A broken game is more fun when it's you doing the the breaking?:erm:

But Dark Sector was truly fun, no cheats, no easy mode, just jolly good fun.

I actually feel like easy mode is a perfectly legitimate way to enjoy a game that doesn't hold up at higher difficulties due to "we're gonna increase enemy health rather than improve enemy AI". I've played quite a few games that are mechanically sound in the minute to minute but break under those circumstances.

I beat Ancients of Ooga which is kinda like a cross between the Lost Vikings and Overlord? You control some ugly buggers that are most willing to give up their lives to their god and the game is mostly trying to get them or some item to an altar for sacrifice or getting an Ooga or item to a certain area.

Each tribe has it's advantages and weakness, but the game does seem rather unchallenging.

Garshap is the Persian God of War clone, except Garshap is based on a real Persian myth, it's very so-so, very linear, I almost 100% the game without even trying (I missed one health upgrade).

Since it's short, about four hours, it doesn't give the game time to get boring or annoying... Except maybe for the cliff sections, Garshap plunges his knife into walls and slowly drops to the floor in some areas, but you have to dodge left and right while dropping to avoid areas that damage Garshap.

Speaking of ugly little buggers willing to give up their lives, I just beat Cargo! the Quest for Gravity. I did it in two sittings over two Wednesdays, as I promised the girl that I work Wednesdays with that I wouldn't play any more without her watching. That was an awesome, though sometimes unwieldy, game. The endgame in particular, where you're trying to power up the large hadron collider by throwing tornadoes at it, is fairly obtuse and took a while to figure out. In a weird way, it felt like it was making a statement about gaming culture in general right now. The main antagonists are giant machines who are concerned with nothing but ways to produce more and more fun, with no regard for how this is accomplished. As such, they attempt to impose rigid rules upon you and believe that these mindless "buddies" that they have created who know nothing but pure giddy excitement and thrills are the perfect beings. In order to subvert the machine-gods wishes, you need to diligently harvest the fun and spend it in order to restore gravity to the planet. Taking the alternate definition for gravity, it seems to be a pretty straightforward objective. Pure fun doesn't do you any good, gravity must be brought back to the world. The more I thought about it while playing, the more I found it to be an indictment of the "games are for fun and only fun" crowd, especially knowing the pedigree of dark and twisted games that this developer has. This made the game way more interesting to me.

I got it for $10. For that, I'd whole-heartedly recommend it. I think it's $20 at regular price, and it may be a hard sell at that. If it goes on sale again though, check it out. If I didn't make it sound interesting before, this also happens:

263429D88C19A25275B6EFAD6E6024100699CD4F

Sweet Mother of Mothra, I think I know which game from the Steam sale I'll play next! :eek:

Haha wow, Miffy. I might have to play that game even though the trailer someone posted here a week or so ago was incredibly ugly to me.

I try to look away, but my eyes keep drifting back to the ass cheeks.

It's too bad the facial expression visible on one of the buddies in that shot is the most benign one. There are 3 that it randomly chooses from, and one of them looks exactly like he's in the middle of sucking on a lemon. It's always funny to have a stream of those guys flying off the back of your vehicle.

InFamous :tmeh:

Picked it from the "gratis" games in the PSN welcome back thingy.

It was ok, not great. Climbing builds is quite a pita in this game, and considering that you're climbing building 67% of the time, it really sucks. The side missions in this game are rather boring, a lot of side missions are identical. So it's quite tedious to complete them. Most main missions are created in such a way that you die a number of items, but that's not a problem, you can simply continue from the checkpoint that was a few seconds a way. I think the game is quite poorly made on that part, you just take dieing for granted, because it gives you full health and energy, and you don't lose a lot of progress. I'm pretty sure the did this to make up for the rather crappy controls and gameplay. You need to use at least 4 fingers to attack (move, attack mode, aim, and then an attack action).

The first game I completed with my brand new Radeon HD 6870 is.... VVVVVV. I think the 1GB of video card RAM made all the difference.

Very nice little game :tup:

Limbo was released on Steam, so I bought it, because I hadn't played it before. And then I played it and finished it and thought it was pretty nifty.

Killzone 2 :tmeh: (on the lower side of it)

finally managed to kill the final boss, probably due to luck. I didn't really enjoy this game. The environment wasn't that great, aiming wasn't annoying (ridiculous slow turning), staying alive was mostly luck based. I really don't like FPS games with a controller. Team mate AI wasn't that great either. AI of the enemies was a bit better, but in a lot of cases they were still following the same path. I'm not even sure wtf I (read: the in-game I) was fighting for. Anyway, other comments can be found in the killzone 2 thread

Finished Cathrine against my will. :tmeh:

While the puzzles do get pretty tedious, the story and the end of the game did make up for it at least a little bit. Plus I like puzzles. It was definitely a different kind of game than I'm used to. I found that screwing around with the moral choices and going for the " absolute worst person in the world " approach made for a bit of added fun. Also, I'm pretty sure they cast the guy who did the voice for Legends of the Hidden Temple to narrate some of the game.

I did find it pretty absurd that in order to unlock 1v1 coliseum mode you needed to play through the entire game first (on normal at that). I can see myself going back and playing the 1v1 more than I can see myself picking up the story again though, so maybe it makes sense? Also, Sheep?

Edited by epiclairs

Bulletstorm :tup:

i feel like bulletstorm was a nice surprise for a small niche of the gaming community that actually checked it out. it takes the idea of a "bro shooter" and does it justice with great minute-to-minute gameplay. honestly, i enjoyed it more than gears of war in many ways, possibly most of which is the lighthearted, self-aware storyline that manages both sincerity and fun stupidity. beyond that, the creativeness of all of the weapons and their alt-fire "charge" attacks kept me switching up my loadout constantly. it's nice having a selection of competent weapons that are all fun to use in almost any situation, as opposed to the weapons in other games that often lead me to stick with assault rifle/sniper as long as humanly possible. the biggest shame is that bulletstorm got a little too bogged down in the "bro shooter" stuff for previews and demos, which led people to believe that this is the worst kind of army of two-esque story garbage around. i'm not saying the story should win any awards, but the character interactions and the inflection points that kept things moving throughout the story were solid and entertaining. i wish more people would give bulletstorm a try, if only because i'm selfish and want people can fly to make a sequel.

Bastion :tup: :tup:

Thoroughly enjoyed this game from beginning to " end ". I quote end because I feel like after completing it the first time, I will be going back with the extra mode unlocked and play through again.

The art in this game is stunning. It's exactly my favorite style of pastel coloring, cartoon-ish characters design, and absolutely beautiful landscapes. The music is just as amazing. Gameplay is an action packed blast. Tons of weapons, various customization, and action packed button mashing. Although I'm sure I'm probably the only one, the art and combat style strangely reminded me of one of my favorite action RPG's, Star Ocean: The 2nd Story.

A couple of things did bother me a bit, although not to detract from the awesomeness of the game. The story was great, but seemed a bit hard, for me at least, to follow at points. I feel like there are parts I completely missed for various reasons. The story came mostly in the form of narrative blurbs (Best Narrator) that were sometimes packed into the middle of intense action sequences. It's probably just my extreme baby form of game playing, but when I'm mashing buttons to stay alive I tend to block out narrative storytelling in favor of staying alive. Like I said, probably just me. I also found a few of the proving grounds (weapon training areas) to range from extremely easy to utterly impossible. I'm all for a challenge, but I'm pretty sure I spent upwards of 3 hours on mastering the Fang Repeater, and that seemed like a bit much. I suppose I could have just skipped this, as I did the other trainings that I found aggravating. I also wish the

hop scotch ability would have come a bit earlier in the game. Jumping == fun!

Despite a couple annoyances, this game is a must play if you like Action Rpg's,

awesome art, amazing music, button mashing, and one of the most attentive narrations of a game I've ever experienced.

I was away for week in the middle of nowhere so I beat a LOT of games! :mock:

Rayman 3D, Double Dragon, Donkey Kong 98, Alleyway, Fortified Zone, Mario's Picross (Easy levels).

Most of the games on SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0, Rapid Angel, Panzer Bandit, Adventures of Little Ralph, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder and Schbibinman 2 & 3... :blink::gaming:

I finished Assassin's Creed 2, which was pretty good! Story-wise it gets kind of shoddy in the end, and game-wise it gets kind of monotonous too. All in all, I really enjoyed it though! The different cities were nice. I made a start on Brotherhood and so far it's definitely a step up. Rome feels much more real with the horses in the street and that you can walk into certain buildings.

Duke Nukem 3D :tup::tup:

Can't give more thumbs, I only have two and one of those is still not in great condition!

An absolutely blast to play. Immediately after I got the cast off, I started playing DN3D, good exercise for the thumb I hope. :)

So actually I finished it about two weeks ago.

I think I had not played the three first episodes since around 1997. I had also had no idea before that there was an Atomic edition with an official fourth episode added in.

So I played the fourth episode for the first time. It was pretty cool, but not as great as the original episodes. I did like however the Area 51 and couple of other maps. It was amazing to see how good the Build engine really was. It was huge leaps more better than the doom engine feature-wise. But of course Quake was already coming so 3D Realms engine got kind of beaten to death quickly with Carmack's next creation.

There were so many jokes inside this game that I was constantly grinning when I found all kinds of easter eggs I had never even realized before.

I played it almost with the original setup, but I did use Eduke32. So higher resolution and mouse look were enabled. I unfortunately wasted a lot of time with shit ugly High resolution pack, because it makes the game look really ugly compared to the 2d sprite heaven that it is originally.

Also with Ati cards the shitty HRP makes your computer use over 2gigs of memory due to some leak, so the game crashed like 3 times per each level so I wasted two weeks in completing the game. If I just would've played from the beginning with just pure Eduke32 I would've played through the whole game in 2-3 days.

I don't know what you mean about the Build engine being put to death quickly, there were a lot of games built on that technology.

Blood is a game i have fond memories of, Shadow Warrior wasn't so bad either.

Also, Redneck Rampage, which came with high resolution textures and stuff. I think Tekwar was one of the more interesting usages of the Build engine. It had a lot of similarities with Deus Ex (except being very good).