gdf

Recently completed video games

Lol. It's true, yours is particularly out of date. I imagine your DS quite worn by the amount of love it must have received by now! :)

It's true, I've been loving my DS constantly for over two years now. This is why I need to upgrade to a 3DS. My DSi just doesn't have the lustre of the early days anymore.

Played CoD: BlOps over the weekend. I think it's the perfect candidate to counter Ebert's "games aren't art" argument. If ever a game tried to minimize player agency and intent, BlOps is it.

I too just beat Portal again. Has there ever been a more perfect puzzle game? Especially in the second 'half' where you're basically just left to your own devices; for some reason navigating a

real

environment is kind of cooler.

I kind of want to go back and play some Episode 2 now, but damn the underground sequence of that game is boring and drags on forever.

Speaking of Episode 2, and 1 as a matter of fact; I recently decided that I should get round to actually playing those games, which I've had since I bought the orange box a couple of years back... I'm a bad person. I really enjoyed the two of them, I felt that they had more story to tell within the time it takes to complete the episodes as opposed to the half-life 2 story which at some points I'd actually forget why I was doing what I was doing, case-in-point for me was the driving in the boat section, that section seemed to go on forever, it even gave me motion sickness for some reason :S. The ending to episode 2 was really great, I can now see why so many people are impatiently waiting episode 3 :tup:

I also agree about the whole underground part being boring, the best part being

when you are getting chased by the guardian thingy which you had to constantly avoid.

Bring on Episode 3 :D

It's true, I've been loving my DS constantly for over two years now. This is why I need to upgrade to a 3DS. My DSi just doesn't have the lustre of the early days anymore.

Same here as well, I just wish I had the money for this thing right now.

I've still been stuck with the fat gray DS for all of these years. I keep wanting to upgrade, but then I hear an announcement of a better or improved DS coming soon after. Currently the one I have has a broken hinge, has had the top screen replaced twice, stickers all fallen off the back, and is just scratched and chipped in general. My Gameboy Advance is in similar shape, but it's pretty much how you gauge the use of a handheld.

I just beat Enslaved and while I loved it I must say....

WHERE THE HELL IS SANDY?!?:(

How could they take him out? That's like retelling Robin Hood and taking out Friar Tuck! ;(

I just beat God of War III and... I have to find the original thread and go AVGN for a while before a explode with rage! :(

Portal 2.

GotY.cx for me.

Lots of games coming this year still, but I'm calling it in.

We're done here.

Portal 2.

GotY.cx for me.

Lots of games coming this year still, but I'm calling it in.

We're done here.

Haha, same. I can't imagine another game giving me as much pleasure this year, but we'll see.

DNF hasn't been released yet, so it's bit early for goty.cx ;)

Or Skyrim!

But yeah, Portal 2 is a serious contender.

DNF hasn't been released yet, so it's bit early for goty.cx ;)

Yes true, but due to the utterly stupid videos they've released recently, I have been losing faith in DNF and Gearbox.

I think it will be a fine game, but Portal 2 is just mad perfection.

Late EDIT: I was listening to the DNF Podcasts from the official websites and Allen Blum and co. have given back confidence to trust in DNF being good.

Edited by Kolzig

Just finished Mass Effect 2 and X-Men Origins: Worlverine this weekend.

Will post my thoughts in the ME2 thread. As for Wolverine, it was a lot more cinematic than I had been led to believe by the screenshots. Overall though, the game is a pretty repetitive hack and slash, never unejoyable but I think I would have been pretty upset to pay full price.

I just finished Bulletstorm.

It was good, better than i was expecting. An entertaining solo shooter.

I beat Adventures to Go, a very light and fun SJRPG, it was almost too easy to "break" the game since you can simply fill your inventory with items that will mess up all the boss fights. :mock:

Half Life: Source is in the bag, part one of my Portal 2 inspired Valve replay. Next, Opposing Force, the Blue Shift, HL2, both Episodes, and both Portals. The whole Black Mesa/Aperture universe in one long run, just for kicks. Half Life Source completion time, for those interested in trying the same, was just over 10 hours. I'll be posting more detailed stuff in the "Valve re-play" thread that was created for this purpose.

I finished The Next BIG Thing by Pendulo last weekend.

For the most part it was alright: the puzzles made sense and the characters were pretty interesting. The main female character was particularly nice, although some of her dailogue motifs got a bit repetitive. I think the animation on the in-game models was far too stuttery, especially considering the high quality of the animation in cutscenes. There's also no auto-save in the game, so I ended up having to replay big chunks of gameplay when the game crashed. It wasn't a big deal to replay those parts, but this is 2011 people.

My big beef is with two puzzles in the game: a puzzle positioned as a quiz and a musical puzzle.

The first one is presented as a knowledge based puzzle, so you first assume you have to figure out the answers. When that doesn't work you assume you have to talk/trick people who know the answers into solving it for you. The second idea seems plausible when you realize you have a magic hat that can transport things around. However, the real solution is

breaking the 4th wall and just choosing the dialogue option that appears in the same place as the symbol in the puzzle. So if boat is 3rd in the set of tiles and your dialogue list, it's the right answer.

This struck me as really bad, especially when the fail puzzle dialogue refers to there being some sort of trick, which once again seemed to reference the hat. Not only does the solution not use any in-game logic, but there's no real way to reason your way through it without making a huge leap.

The musical puzzle was also a doozy. You're presented 6 objects that play/stop playing music when you click on them. 2 of them play dumb noises that cause you to fail. Every fail causes the what instruments the objects play to be randomized. So everytime you fail you have to click on each thing, figure out which ones are not necessary, and then try to successfully solve the puzzle. It's not helped by the task being presented in a unclear fashion. I thought the game wanted each instrument to come in on a similar beat or rhythm, that's not the case. There also seems to be only one order for the 4 real instruments that works, so the amount of experimentation to solve it is pretty high.

Note I didn't use hints for any of these puzzles, since that's not how I like to play adventure games. The game asks you to set if you want to be able to use hints/hotspots at the beginning, and I chose no, so I'm not even sure if I'd have been able to turn them on at that point. Perhaps if I had used hints I would've been able to figure out the puzzles in a more logical manner. Those are the only two puzzles I had any difficulty with, as the game does a really good job of letting you know what your goals are at any given moment.

Since the Next Big Thing is either a remake or a sequel to Hollywood Monsters, I'll probably get it when it's cheaper.

I was a long weekend over here, so I've finished quite a few things....

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage, Samurai Warriors Chronicles and Sengoku Basara, which basically means I've played nothing but KOEI Warriors style games this week... :blink:

Although Sengoku Basara is a blatant rip-off of the Samurai Warriors series, they probably get away with it since they are both based on the same historical era. Either that or it's been ripped off so often it's a genre now, which be possible, this isn't the only Warriors rip-off out there (N3 anyone)

Oh, and I just beat Dead Rising 2: Case West which kinda sucks because you can only play as Frank West as a co-op partner and it seems to be much less fun, I could swear they made this to please the West fans and nothing else. :erm:

I don't have a 360 so I missed out on the first Dead Rising, so I don't really understand the love of that character or the photo mechanic. Making weapons seems like much more fun, but I haven't really ever enjoyed taking photos in any video game.

I don't have a 360 so I missed out on the first Dead Rising, so I don't really understand the love of that character or the photo mechanic. Making weapons seems like much more fun, but I haven't really ever enjoyed taking photos in any video game.

It was kinda fun taking photos in the first game, you had to take really cool photos to get points (and of course, since it's Japanese game you get points for taking photos of zombie pantsu). The combining thing didn't work that well, since the many of the combinations are so hard to get you'll just use what's easier to find and ignore the rest.