gdf

Recently completed video games

I just beat Lost Horizon and I rather enjoyed it, it was rather simple since each chapter has a limited amount of things to interact with, so even if you do get stuck you don't have to do barely any combining at random.

The ending part did get pretty complex though, I can't say why without spoiling it, it has been done before, though...

And of course, since it's an adventure game it has to have at least one Lucasarts reference and instead of a Monkey Island clone it's more of a Indiana Jones clone, in a find artifact, defeat Nazis way?

Wow... it's been forever since I added to this. Got a whole truck-load of games to dump here.

Penumbra: Overture (PC) - I'll be honest, I cheated, but in my opinion it wasn't a full out cheat, I just needed a hint. There's a puzzle that involves

Morse code. You get a sheet with Morse code blips and bleeps and I figured out you have to interpret a sound coming from the radio to open a door. Nothing was working, and I was sure I was right. In fact, I was, I just was doing it backwards :(

Other than that, I really enjoyed the whole thing. There was a couple scares as you would expect, but nothing crazy. I really enjoy this style of puzzle game where it becomes more of a FPS with physics. 8 hour completion for this one.

Tetris Attack (SNES) - Have been playing this a ton at my house lately. This game is great for versus and friends. I managed to beat versus single-player, but I'm still at 5-2 in the stage clear mode.

Super Meat Boy (PC) - A fast, frantic and fun experience (IGN?). But it also has it's way with you on the last levels. It gets pretty insane... but I think it was at the point where it was the perfect amount of challenging yet, with a hint of controller throwing frustration. You need to play this with a gamepad... there's no other way. 42% complete (I don't think I hate my life enough to complete it fully). 1900 deaths.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) - I think my opinion deserves a whole thread about my thoughts on this one, which is why I won't go too deep into it. Also, for the fact, I never beat the original (SACRILEGE!) I had to use a lot of hints on this one. I would give a puzzle like a half an hour, and out of frustration, use a hint and feel guilty. I don't think a game should do that, heh. Maybe the comedy and dialog was throwing me off a bit - I was trying to solve things too literally, looking back. I will also add that the comedy and writing on this game was brilliant, but I am sure most of you know that. I think LucasArts did a great job on the voices and graphics. I loved how you could still see some pixels underneath their "coat of paint". I found myself pressing that retro key a lot.

Halo: Reach (XBOX360) - More Halo. There was some aliens and you killed them, with new guns sometimes. There was also some new aliens sometimes. Sarcasm aside, I think this is the pinnacle of Halo polish to date. This is a great package they have created to move people over from Halo 3. Everything seems to be an improvement - no reason at all to go back to Halo 3. Beat on co-op campaign with GF.

Toy Story 3 - The title and subject matter is very deceptive. This was a great game that I played through with my GF. It wasn't challenging really, but it was still fun. Even funner, was the sandbox mode which had us hooked for hours and hours. It's just so frantic and rewarding, in any given minute you could unlock like 3 missions, complete a mission, get gold star notifications, get 2 achievements - it was a blast.

Monday Night Combat (PC) - I have some mixed feelings on this one. I don't think it could ever keep my interest long enough. I beat all the single-player challenges (well the ones that weren't never-ending that is). It's still a fun game that I will continue to pick-up from week to week. I love the level 3 Sniper grapple kick - more so, I love how it makes people fly off the map.

Osmos (PC) - Yes, I did finally manage to beat it - after spending 6+ hours on the last stage, only for the game to throw out bonus stages after beating the game. Overall it was enjoyable and soothing. If you take out that level that killed me, it would of been a great game, I just don't understand the challenge ramp.

Mortal Kombat: Deception (Xbox) - Recently beat the arcade mode. I poped this in because I had good memories of the Puzzle Kombat mode that I used to play with friends. It's still pretty fun. Not sure if I want to complete this, it sure is fun unlocking all the grave stones though.

Power Rangers: Ninja Storm (GBA) - I really shouldn't even post this. It was a mediocre side-scrolling beat em' up that actually had potential, then it was ruined. Meh, beat within 2 hours on a road trip.

Bust-A-Move '99 (PS) - This is a GREAT version of Bust-A-Move with tons of gameplay modes and the like. Again, this is getting popular in my house for versus. I played through the single-player game with ease. Looking to try out more modes.

Edited by Drath

My friend just purchased Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days on sale, and I already had it so we decided to play through it in co-op. We started last night...

... and finished it in about 4 hours. That game is short.

I kinda liked the first game, and it was interesting for me to see those characters again. There's a nice variety of locations, and a pretty freaky moment. I loved all the digital camera effects and camera shake. We had some pretty bad syncing issues in co-op though, I was hosting, and my friend kept getting jittery animations on enemies. Sometimes he would see NPCs that weren't there, and a couple times we desynced to the point that he was standing in one spot, shooting a wall on my screen while he was killing enemies on his screen.

I'm still hopeful for the multiplayer aspects though.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) - I think my opinion deserves a whole thread about my thoughts on this one, which is why I won't go too deep into it. Also, for the fact, I never beat the original (SACRILEGE!) I had to use a lot of hints on this one. I would give a puzzle like a half an hour, and out of frustration, use a hint and feel guilty. I don't think a game should do that, heh. Maybe the comedy and dialog was throwing me off a bit - I was trying to solve things too literally, looking back. I will also add that the comedy and writing on this game was brilliant, but I am sure most of you know that. I think TTG did a great job on the voices and graphics. I loved how you could still see some pixels underneath their "coat of paint". I found myself pressing that retro key a lot.

TTG? Do you mean Telltale, they didn't have anything to do with the remake as far as I know it was LucasArts internal project.

I just beat Ghost Pirates of VooJu Island and... WOW! They certainly put a lot less effort in this game than they did in A Vampyre's Tale!

The female character is JIGGLY! I don't want jiggliness in my adventure games... Unless it's LSL one!

But seriously, this game doesn't have half the charm or humor the previous game from Autumn Moon did.

TTG? Do you mean Telltale, they didn't have anything to do with the remake as far as I know it was LucasArts internal project.

Sorry, you are right. I think I got confused.

STACKING - Completed :tup:

The extra stuff that becomes available when you reach 100% completion makes it all worthwhile.

There is no extra stuff.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see all the

no things that are new

and that all the locations and dolls were now

all the same just like before

. I think people who haven't finished it 100% yet should do so now, as I think they'll be preeeetty

disappointed, and maybe angry

. If you think about it, it all makes sense too, as it was always known the game would have a

limited budget

STACKING - Completed :tup:

The extra stuff that becomes available when you reach 100% completion makes it all worthwhile.

There is no extra stuff.

Isn't the extra stuff the 40% thing you can do after having completed the main storyline?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see all the

no things that are new

and that all the locations and dolls were now

all the same just like before

. I think people who haven't finished it 100% yet should do so now, as I think they'll be preeeetty

disappointed, and maybe angry

. If you think about it, it all makes sense too, as it was always known the game would have a

limited budget

I agree, I think it's the best example of

a disappointment

in any recent game I think of. Having

absolutely nothing

at the end of the game was a big surprise, especially the bit where Levi the Hobo

didn't even acknowledge your achievement

. I can't wait for the everyone else here to discover

the non-ending and feel as let down as us

, especially when they see

there's no final

cut-scene. Of course, like you say, I think

a small budget

was probably responsible for all of these things.

Does anyone know if Brutal Legend had the same type of ending?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I don't know if you are taking the piss, but that post was terrifying for someone who has not played the game and doesn't want to uncover the spoilers.

I don't know whether to applaud you or call you a douchepopsicle, TP.

Here, this'll solve it.

applause_display.gif

uberdouche.jpg

(Brilliantly evil post, either way.)

The last cut-scene where

nobody

from Psychonauts appears will undoubtedly have fans

feeling sad that there's no sign of hope

for a sequel for that classic game!

I blame Toblix.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Ah, excellent use of the spoiler tags. Good work, gentlemen.

I finished the main quest of Fallout 3's Point Lookout last night. I enjoyed it, though I was too scared to fight any swampfolk. Too many Deliverance flashbacks!

Also, Desmond the Ghoul has the most atrocious English accent. Poor guy that does all the ghoul voices! He can't be an expert in all dialects, can he?

I'm going through the POP: Sands of Time Trilogy and I've already beaten the first two games.

I can see why people hated the second one, not only is much dark and grimmer (MY GAME IS SO BROODING THE FOUNTAINS CRY TEARS, BITCHES!), but this games "gimmick" makes me feel that a third of this game was unnecessary, the backtracking is ludicrous!:frusty:

Just finished Bulletstorm on the PC. Excellent game. The world design is great, quite some variation and colorful. Sure, the world has gone to hell, but at least isn't not the usual dick stained covered craphole as in most games. The pacing is quite good, and there's also some time to enjoy the scenery. It's much like Enslaved, as in, but with first person shooting instead of hand to hand and acrobatics. The game features one actual boss fight, which is really awesome.

The game isn't very long, could be finished in one day. But it didn't feel as short game. I will probably reply some parts of the game, it's just too much fun to kick people around.

I finally beat the Sands of Time Trilogy, the final game fixed EVERYTHING that I hated in Warriors Within and it wrapped up everything pretty well! :tup:

Two Thrones did really bring that series home in a great way. It's a shame that some people didn't get to it after Warrior Within. I especially loved the combat dichotomy of regular prince being mostly stealth take downs, while the dark prince had the more heavy fighting. He also had stronger mechanics with that swallowtail that made it fun. POP will definitely be more about platforming than combat, but Two Thrones dealt with that aspect much better than Warrior Within, where the solution was just add more combat and more weapons to pick up.

While the combat is much better in Two Thrones, it still feels a bit broken, I could spend ages fighting the enemy normally or get over in seconds with the jump and slash attack from the prince and the Triangle + Circle smash attack of the dark prince.:erm:

Just beat Uncharted 2. Overall I liked it far more than I thought I would. I loved the Indiana Jones type of adventure, and after the first few chapters the character dialogue got a lot better.

The controls were far too loose in my opinion. I'd prefer something more in line with Enslaved I think.

Also, holy shit I've never seen a game hate the player this much. The number of times this game arbitrarily killed me are astounding. The stats screen says that I have 129(!!!!!!) checkpoints failed or restarted. Also, the fact that the game doesn't often give you any hint as to what direction you're supposed to go unless it's a puzzle. I wish I could just hit the up button and get a hint instantly instead of having to wait for it to decide that I'm lost.

Fun trivia fact: The sign in the beach scene towards the very beginning reads:

πολύτλας δΐος Νάθαν

Which is Ancient (could be modern too) Greek for 'Much-enduring heroic Nathan' frequently an epithet for Odysseus. My Ancient Greek major at use :shifty:

Just finished Crackdown. There are no numbers to express how many times I had to fight Wang.

Also, Saints Row 2. Although I'm not really sure the story counts for anything in that game. Still, a good way to make money I can spend on ever more insane character customisation. Roll on Saints Row 3. And do toss out the ridiculous gangster posturing.

And maybe insert an accent more neutral than stereotypical Cockney, stereotypical Hispanic gangsta and stereotypical black gangsta.

I should probably stop there. A game with a lot of little niggles.

Yeah, I have yet to go further than a couple of hours into Saints Row 2, though judging from what I've read I am only moments away from discovering its more addictive qualities.

Yeah, I have yet to go further than a couple of hours into Saints Row 2, though judging from what I've read I am only moments away from discovering its more addictive qualities.

I uh, in the course of about 4 evenings, went from four hours of Saint's Row 2, to. . .fuckin' hell, 35. This, you must understand, is a result of co-op. The things that can occur in a less serious GTA-like setting with 'story'-based co-op is ridiculous. Staying up until 4/5 in the morning was the norm for all those days. I've since stopped doing that, but I have a feeling when we pick it back up again, we'll lose ourselves once more.

About the story/feel of Saint's Row 2, my friend and I are constantly chuckling at the cutscenes and commenting on how much of an asshole my character is. I'm fairly certain they're not taking themselves to seriously, but even if they are, I just enjoy the game for what it is.

That said, watching a dude in a hazmat suit and a bright green and white diving helmet, with a horrible chimneysweep accent, stoned out of his mind is not an experience I will soon forget.

I'm not nearly done with Saint's Row 2 yet (maybe 30%) but I have a feeling I'll have more good things to say when I am.

Fun trivia fact: The sign in the beach scene towards the very beginning reads:

Which is Ancient (could be modern too) Greek for 'Much-enduring heroic Nathan' frequently an epithet for Odysseus. My Ancient Greek major at use :shifty:

That's awesome since most video games with signs in other languages seem to only want to write gibberish from what I understand.