gdf

Recently completed video games

It's a game about a child's imagination about trick and treating... isn't that a hint enough that it's a kids game?

Anyway, you finished CQ just in time. 'Stacking' will come out today iirc.

Yeah but considering the major influence was Earthbound, which did not lower it's difficulty for younger players even though it also had a similar playful children's tone (except for the strange aliens), I really didn't know what exactly to expect.

FALLOUT 3! (Finally.)

I've been blasting through this over the past few days, and really been enjoying it. I got to the last mission, and decided to finish all the side-quests first... Then I reached Level 20 and stopped levelling up. It was a little frustrating, so I treated myself to Broken Steel and finished everything up from the main game, while levelling normally.

Then I finished the final quest of FO3, which was astonishingly lame, and saw the crappy ending... Only to be revived for the Broken Steel expansion... Which was astonishingly hard! Even with my extra tough character, kitted in excellent power armor, wielding a gatling laser, those Feral Ghoul Reavers were ridiculously difficult to beat. Still, Broken Steel was good fun.

Now I'm debating getting the other expansions, or just skipping those and getting New Vegas at some point in the distant future. (Recommendations? Worth getting more expansions... or should I just go for NV?)

Anyways, in all a highly enjoyable experience... although I don't fancy plowing 70+ hours into another game any time soon.

FALLOUT 3! (Finally.)

I've been blasting through this over the past few days, and really been enjoying it. I got to the last mission, and decided to finish all the side-quests first... Then I reached Level 20 and stopped levelling up. It was a little frustrating, so I treated myself to Broken Steel and finished everything up from the main game, while levelling normally.

Then I finished the final quest of FO3, which was astonishingly lame, and saw the crappy ending... Only to be revived for the Broken Steel expansion... Which was astonishingly hard! Even with my extra tough character, kitted in excellent power armor, wielding a gatling laser, those Feral Ghoul Reavers were ridiculously difficult to beat. Still, Broken Steel was good fun.

Now I'm debating getting the other expansions, or just skipping those and getting New Vegas at some point in the distant future. (Recommendations? Worth getting more expansions... or should I just go for NV?)

Anyways, in all a highly enjoyable experience... although I don't fancy plowing 70+ hours into another game any time soon.

Point Lookout was definitely worth the money... the rest were fairly enjoyable too, but I'd put New Vegas over them as far as overall enjoyability goes.

Half-Life: Very fun, mostly aged really well, but god damn that last boss is absolutely terrible to fight, it should have been cut.

This summer (look earlier in the thread for full impressions) I played FO3 and all of its expansions. I found them all totally worthwhile, and mostly for different reasons. I'd go for the expansions myself, but then I haven't played NV yet, so take that into consideration.

Just finished Metroid: Other M this afternoon. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. It was actually a really good game, and the story turned out to be really interesting and develop the Metroid universe quite a bit. At the same time, this good story was almost completely ruined by goddamned horrible voice acting. It's kind of telling that the credits listed Nate Bihldorf and Leslie Swan as actors. For those that play a lot of first-party Nintendo games, those names may sound familiar. That's because they're two of Nintendo's in-house localization managers. The people who do the translating were the ones doing the acting. What the hell? If you're going to have voices in one of your big marquee franchises, you should probably get actual actors to do it. The fact that the story is actually pretty good (aside from one really irritating thing that I'll spoiler out), especially by sci-fi game standards, makes the voice acting even more frustrating.

So, how about a good points/bad points breakdown?

The good:

- The visuals. Holy hell is this game a looker. I didn't know the Wii could put out graphics of this calibre. There are jaggies here and there due to the fact that it only goes up to 480p, but with the hardware they had they made an amazing looking game. It looks as good if not better than some 360 games I've played recently. I don't know how they did it, but this game is simply beautiful.

- The controls. Yeah, the controls. I was sceptical at first about using the NES-style wiimote as the only means of control, but they made it work. I never felt like the controls were holding me back from enjoying the game, which was something I had been very worried about. Frankly, I can't imagine playing the game a different way after completing it. Let's face it, as gamers, our thumbs move fucking fast. Having the thumbs do all the work felt way more natural than having my left thumb on a nunchuck and my right thumb and forefinger alternating for attack and jump. Even switching to morph ball was great. In older Metroids, you'd have to double-tap down on the dpad. Now you slide your left thumb over a bit and tap A. It's the same thumb, so it still feels natural, and because it's a single tap to get it to work, it's actually more responsive and accurate. Great work on the controls.

- The story. It's interesting, though not particularly deep, and does some cool things with the Metroid fiction in general. My one issue with this is

during the Ridley fight Samus flips out and regresses into being a little girl remembering Ridley ransacking her home planet when she was a child. As a result, an ally gets tossed into a lava pit. What the fuck? Ok, so that had been established before in earlier games, but since when does Samus freak out and go all fetal-position at the sight of Ridley? By this point, she's blasted him to smithereens at least twice, so why choose now?

That aside, Samus is written as a strong, competent woman who will fuck you up if you cross her. Actually, it's kind of neat that the majority (read 3 of 5) of the principal characters in this game are female, and I can't recall a time when they get all sexed-up. That's pretty fucking cool, and really unexpected considering this is Team Ninja we're dealing with.

- The feel. I'm not sure how else to put this. The game feels like Metroid. Even though there are other people on the station, with only a few exceptions you're mostly just discovering their corpses. When I read that Samus gets incorporated into a military squad to search a research station for survivors, I got worried that there would be too much interaction, not enough exploration. This is incorrect. The exploration is toned down a bit, but not too much. I'd say you're given about as much direction as you were in Metroid Fusion. That is, you're told there's something in Sector whatever, you go to sector whatever and get locked in, but then you go all over that sector. There's a good deal of backtracking, and one of your abilities you don't get until the final boss fight, so I'll be heading back in for some post-credits exploration now that the whole station is open to me. In short, it gets the exploration and isolation about as well as Metroid Fusion. As Fusion was my personal introduction to the series, I'm happy with that.

- The combat. What can I say? Fighting feels right. Charge shots, wave beam, gravity suit, screw attack, etc. They're all here and they all work just like you want them to.

The bad:

- The acting. Oh my fucking god this is the worst thing in the game by miles. When a character is (vague, hopefully not tag-worthy spoiler)

revealed to be an android in the late-game, it caused me to wonder if maybe everyone is a robot just because that's how they sound.

(spoiler complete) It's just bloody awful. Those lines didn't have to be terrible, but the delivery made them worse than as written. Given that the story is good, it felt kind of like watching a grade-school dramatic production of a pretty good sci-fi play. Just baffling how that could get through. Did no one on the production staff have ears?

- The final boss. So you're playing this really good, challenging in all the right places game for about 8 hours (that was my completion time, anyway) and it's really fun. Suddenly you get to the last boss, which is a great idea in principle. It really does a good fake-out, making you think you're going off to fight one thing and then having you fight something totally different, and surprising, but also appropriate and cool. Then this fight is way harder than anything you've encountered to this point (to the point where after my sixth try I turned off the game for a day) and forces a level of precision on you that the controls aren't actually up to. The only problem with the controls is that it can be a bit sluggish when you want to switch to first-person, but up to the final boss, this has been masked by the game never requiring you to do this particularly quickly. Suddenly, the final boss is totally dependent on this ability. Said boss also has three phases. The first is mind-numbingly twitchy and frustrating, the second is easy as hell, and the third is impossible if you're not aware of something very specific that the game never informs you of. I'm going to write it here without spoiler tags so that everyone may know. Up to this point in the game, you've been gradually unlocking Samus' abilities, and every time that one of them is unlocked you are given a notification onscreen that you have to button through. Going into the final boss, you still don't have your power bombs. They are required to defeat the final boss. They unlock, without fucking telling you, when the third phase begins. They also don't tell you how to use them, so go into morph ball and hold down the 1 button until you're charged up, then release. It would have been fucking nice if the game had told me this in the first place. I had to look it up online. Any boss fight which requires one to consult a FAQ is automatically terrible, let alone when the reason is because the game doesn't let you know that you can do the thing that you need to do to defeat it.

Man, I should have put the good points second, as there are way more of them. That bad just looks overwheming right now. Let it be know that Metroid Other M is a fucking great game, and it is only the final boss fight and abysmal voice acting that keep it from being a part of my top 5 of last year. It's rad, check it out.

Miffy, that write up has made want to play Metroid Other M more than anything else I've read about the game, and I've read a fair amount. Even your bad points sound intriguing! I'm not sure if that boss fight you describe is completely broken or a brilliant subversion of the tutorial-that-lasts-the-whole-fucking-game trope that has been cropping up in more and more games over the last few years.

Wall O' Text, XL.

Mass Effect 2 (And in general)

Still is not the saviour/messiah. Sorry!

Story: Still the most dime store paperback shit I've ever bloody heard. . .at the basic level. Though I suppose I'd have a long haul in finding an even remotely recent sci-fi RPG that isn't "save the godsdamned galaxy again".

That said, things like. . .Look, spoilers are going to start here and they probably aren't going to stop. If I'm not the last one on the wagon for this, you're probably dead in a ditch a couple miles back.

---------------------------------------------

Collectors = Prothean: Reaction; Wut? Fuck! Oh noes. . .Hmmm. Tricksy!

I liked that. It made me sit up and pay attention to the primary story suddenly. It's just a shame it happened so far through the main plot.

Every character except Jack: Loved pretty much every aspect of the personal plots for your team mates. From shooting Michael Dorn in the face (by proxy!) to Garrus not being dead, were fantasic. Even Jack, though making me want to beat her face in and leave her there when the charges went off, was an interesting moment when you realize "Oh. . .she, kinda warped her perceptions here." She's still an almighty jackass and annoying as hell (biotic bitch now) but that was a nice thought.

Fuck you, BioWare. In all of your available orifi. Making me loose team because I choose incorrectly on something that has no operational indicators can get thrown into a bin and off a cliff. I redid the entire Omega 4 Relay and Collector Base because you assholes killed Mordin. Reading the wiki on the matter, yeah, the choices make sense the way they are calculated, and I choose right on almost all of them because they made sense.

Regardless, the entire Collector Base was really sort of a "piss off, dickslots" moment for me. From the godsdamned "I can't see through the bugs!" to "Derp, dude got shot in the gut because you chose wrong!" it was just the wrong way to end a game for me. Suitably epic, suitably tense and FINAL BOSS, but Remo's thoughts on the last level of Trine sum it up well. Though that is straying from story a little, so!

I would like to note however, on redoing the collector base, I popped the Battlestar Galactic Season 1 OST in my surround stereo system, plugged the game into it as well, and well. . .It worked, even better than the excellent game music did for the situation. This Came On At The Start Of "The Long Walk".wav

------------------------------

Gameplay: Part of the reason I've dismissed ME2 for so long is my original experience of it was on the XBox and I was surrounded by various people at various points of the five hours or so I experienced of it. Being able to sit in a dark (or not, depending on mood/tone of the game) room and contemplate things, listen to the intonations in voice and modulation in sound really helped my enjoyment of the game.

The combat. . .I really can't find anything wrong with the combat other than the linearity. (That's how you spell that?) Much like the original, combat was lacking fluidity and if there was a long area with cover, there was a fight brewing. There was never a time when combat felt like a chore, which is exceedingly rare with an RPG, action or otherwise, and I even enjoyed dying, because I always knew why I had died, and that it was my fault. Coincidentally, perhaps Normal was a poor choice, as I died a total of 4 times, 2 of those on the Collector Base. If I play it again (maybe, more to come on the subject) I'll probably try Insane. Or I'll cut off my legs and learn to walk with my eyeballs. They probably amount to the same thing.

Fuck YMIR Mechs. Fuck Protein Strands (I've suddenly forgotten the name of the Biotic flying ground-slam tank dudes). Fuck all the "I'M BIG AND SCARY AND WILL RAPE YOU IN A SECOND FLAT" guys. That kind of thing bugs me, but I guess, being an action game, that really shouldn't surprise me at all. Once you know how they work (or have better heavy weapons) they weren't a problem, but things like the Daranth(?) mission and the Garrus loyalty mission just bugged me. I still enjoyed the combat, don't get me wrong, but artificial barriers to entry are never a good thing to me, especially in RPGs.

Oh. Rocket launchers, and every NPC combatant with them: :wtf:

Hilariously pointless at Normal difficulty, especially once I had Garrus equipped with a Viper rifle. Which actually brings me to the next point.

--------------------------------

Sound: Across the board, excellent, with a couple notable exceptions.

Krogan: Several times I could hear the codec or what have you go "Uhhhh, no, fuck you guy" when I was talking to Krogan. It did this especially hard with Michael Dorn. I'm not sure if it's the shitty inboard headset sound adapter, or whatever, but it grated at times. Grunt seemed fine though, but maybe because he had less saturation on his voice.

Widow rifle: The thing sounds like a pop gun. Ugh. For the best rifle in the game, and an anti-materiel one at that, that bugged me to no end. Still hilarious to one-shot Harbinger drones with it, though.

Could You Be Trying Any Harder To Creep Me Out?.wav

---------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Concerns/Comments:

Cast: Could they have any more recognizable people? I spent the first half of the game going "I fucking know who voiced you! And you! And you! And your friend at the bar! And the dude getting the blowjob in the back of the train!" Not a bad thing at all, mind you! Getting yelled at by Michael Dorn was the highlight of my trip to Tachaunka (or whatever the hell it's called).

Replay ability: It staggers me how people have hours played of the levels of:

85.3h

103.9h

82.9h

It's a good game, but is there really that much replay value? I can probably be considered having blazed through it, doing the minimal amount of planet searching (oh, that'll get an earful in a second) to fully outfit my ship and grab a nuclear handgun, along with a couple other very minor things.

Justify yourselves! (Or don't.) I'll probably play it once more, but, christ, 104 hours? Gods above.

PLANET SCANNING CAN GO FUCK ITSELF. Actually, no, it's fine where it is. I've heard various thoughts from "Tedium embodied" to "meh" but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this;

It's bloody relaxing, and kind of a joy to do. I didn't go out of my way to do any more than necessary, but I really quite enjoyed go through and tweaking the yield from a reading just right, watching the scanner without watching the position. Again, I didn't do an iota more than I needed to, and maybe that's the issue some people had.

Mordin singing the modified version of "A Modern Major General" was. . .I couldn't really breath and my stomach still hurts a couple hours later, is probably saying enough. I might have woken someone up as well with my howling.

Garrus remains my favorite character, and if he isn't in the third one, heads will roll (on the floor). His story about 'turian suicide mission preperation' and my characters idiot, hillbilly grin in response were astoundingly good. That said, Mordin came in such close contention for favorite character, that as stated, I redid the entire damn mission to save his hide.

(Hopefully final edit) I did almost nothing with either Jacob or Miranda, and I find that astonishingly hilarious, considering who I was working for. Garrus/Mordin was my primary team (not exactly optimal, but I loved their banter) and I often changed one or the other out in the latter hours for Thane or Grunt. The fact that both the other human team mates were so utterly annoying/despicable/good at being characters that I hated their guts says a lot for the initial impressions I got of them in the opening hour or so. Jacob doesn't bother me as much as Miranda did, but I either found the alien team members a lot more interesting, or just couldn't stand Miranda. I'm not really sure which.

(I'm a filthy liar) The base/generic/original Shepard face/look is so integral to my enjoyment of the character, that I regretted my decision moments in but was too lazy to just pop back out now that I was in the word. I shoved on a helmet whenever I could and stayed that way for the rest of the game. If you don't know what I mean, I'm talking about this guy. Anything else just feels off, after ME1, and I hated myself for changing it. Though maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself. . .

Final thought, that will never leave me, if everything else about the game does: Derp eyes. Everywhere, everyone, had a lazy eye. Sometimes two! *Head-desk*

Overall, not the cesspit that I originally wrote it off as, but still not my GOTY2010 or anything like that.

Edited by Orvidos

Oh man, Orvidos and Miffy. I kind of want you guys to duplicate post those in the threads for the games just for reference. I don't know if that's allowed, but sometimes when I finish a game late, I search Thumbs for the thread and read what everyone said a way before.

I just beat Shadow of the Colossus again using a fresh save (I couldn't find my old memory card).

That game is still great, and the main reason I'm wary of claims of games with unwieldy/animation heavy controls being terrible.

For anyone who hasn't played it, I would strongly suggest waiting for the PS3 hd thingamabob, because the frame rate gets rough in spots. I assume they would fix this issue in the updated version.

Regarding Mass Effect 2, Miranda is still my least favorite character. Not from a "not well realized" standpoint but from a "I would not like this person in real life" standpoint. Her not-superior-enough inferiority complex and gratuitous booty shots bugged me way more than Jack, who I didn't mind at all. I didn't see all the ridiculous Jack promotional material, so maybe that's a big part of that.

SG, if there isn't a rule against it, I'd be fine with doing that.

Cap'n, I was fine with giving Jack a chance up until the "It turns out, you mess with someones head enough, you can make them into an all-powerful bitch" line. My only exposure to the horrible trailers was through IT35 or whichever it was, but that line did for me basically what the director did for you with Miranda. I just hated her. Admittedly, once she was 'fixed/better' I had less of a problem with her, but hooooooly hell she made me want to punch her.

I just realized I forgot to talk about the astoundingly good Alignment system! I'll chunk a bit in the Gameplay department later on.

I can totally see why that line would cause instant facepalms and dismissal. I think they oversold her tough persona. It's also pretty poorly written.The way they load it with one-liners is dumb. I do like the entire character progression arc as a whole though. I think I enjoy her character because of your dialogues on the ship.

I do really enjoy seeing her tough "bitch" persona crack away, or be questioned through interactions with a paragon character.

I felt like every time I finished a conversation with her, I felt better about her as a character.

I've thought about it some and a lot of my disilke from Miranda probably comes from her appearance. You see her first, and she's got a physique that completely eshchews the proportions of every lady in ME and every other lady in ME2 (save for Samara/Morinth). She had levels of TnA that surprised me compared to how subdued ME was. I was literally taken aback when she was shown.

It's the same aesthetic that seemed to represent every woman in Dragon Age, even the ones that are supposed to be chaste nuns (in tight fitting dresses ¯\(°_o)/¯). I know Miranda's appearance is explained through the story, but it just bummed me out. And the cheesecake camera angles don't help. I know Jack is also very cheesecake-y in design, but at least she didn't remind me of the Everquest box cover girl.

Geez, looking over this post I may be over-thinking this. The whole dickwolf fiasco has me in this mindset.

I don't think you're over-analyzing it at all. That first conversation on the Normady, in which she gets up from her desk, entirely to bend over so the camera can suddenly go "tight space latex ass!" annoyed me to no end. The fact that I already didn't like the character (because, I've finally figured out, she is a good character) didn't help that she's just gratuitous supermodel.

Interestingly, I never had a problem with Jack's initial outfit. Maybe it was the tattoos essentially functioning as clothing, or what have you, it didn't bother me. It wasn't particularly sexy either. (If a shaved-bald Natalie Portman can't get me to like that style on women, some video game character certainly won't.)

That said, I did learn to live with Jack in the end, but I never really took her along if I could help it. Though the interactions between Grunt and Jack were interesting, when I did her loyalty missions. They seem like they'd get along well.

Jack is definitely more my type than Miranda, but her presentation still didn't bother me. Miranda was overly-presented as "YOU NEED TO BE ATTRACTED TO THIS LADY. CHECK OUT OUR CAMERA ANGLE SHOWING BOOBS." while Jack was just sorta there. As a result (and the fact that if you took off the tattoos, she'd look quite similar [read: as close as a video game would get] to my girlfriend) I was able to connect much more with her as a character and actually get into her story. The "suspenders as a shirt" thing is still a bit much, but at least they don't linger on it. Bioware in general has issues with female characters, largely because they're always emphasizing "AND YOU CAN SLEEP WITH HER TOO. ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED." That said, Jack was probably the one who bothered me least out of all of them.

It is pretty amazing how forgettable the two "normal" human team members – especially Jacob – were. I don't think it has to do with "Ohh, this one has gills! Interesting!" sort of thing either. But I guess you have to have some sort of reference point to which you can compare all the other characters.

I agree with most what has been said here. Jack bothered me surprisingly little and I was happy that she was gradually able to drop most of the "bitch" and just focus on being a kick-ass biotic. Miranda was very poorly realized and her lament that she was "made perfect" could well be seen as Bioware criticizing themselves for the monster they have created.

Super Metroid for the first time. I'm 22 years old. I now get why that game was such a big deal

Man, I love that game. It seems like a pretty good time to make my annual pilgrimage. If you liked that one, you should probably check out Zero Mission and Fusion on the GBA.

Completed Back to the Future Episode 2: Get Tannen!

Gameplay time was about 2 hours or little bit less. I didn't hurry at all, and tried to listen all dialogue options.

The second episode had about five clearly noticeable typos in the subtitles and there was one line from the young Doc in the park that I didn't hear any voice for, but the mouth was moving and the subtitles were visible.

The lack of interactivity & items and the easiness of puzzles is quite worrying. I usually have to take my time with adventure games and really use my brain to solve the puzzles, but with BttF games I have had no such problems. With Sam&Max 1st season I have for example had much more brain challenging puzzles.

Still the feeling of BttF is there and Christopher Lloyd and AJ LoCascio maintain their great voicework. The voice for Trixie is really good!

I just beat BTTF Episode 2 and had no glitches... I actually liked how the story flowed so flawlessly because of the easiness of the puzzles?:erm:

The dialogue which I didn't hear was the one where he is talking about the emergency eject mechanism.

The dialogue which I didn't hear was the one where he is talking about the emergency eject mechanism.

I think I missed that line...

Dead Space is now complete. The first one, which I went back to because everybody is currently talking about the sequel and I realized I should go back and finish it. It was pretty good, though it never really got to me the way it wanted to. I was able to call pretty much every plot point along the way and any time a dude popped out of a vent, I was usually already aiming at it. I came close to dying quite a few times near the end, but was alway able to pop open my inventory and chug a health pack in time. They obfuscate what happened at the end pretty well, to the point where I don't think I have any idea what happened. Unfortunately, I don't particularly care that much either. At any rate, it was fun to blow the limbs off things (strategically!) for a while and I had fun while it lasted. The boss was suitably impressive as well, but after beating it the realization that it never even fucking hit me was a downer.

Oh, and for the record, I played the game on Normal, as per my 2010 new year's resolution of not playing things on easy any more. It's worked out pretty well for me, as the past year in this thread can attest to. I think it's actually helping me beat more games, as I don't get tired of the mechanics because the game keeps challenging me now. For those that burn out on games about halfway through on a regular basis, food for thought.

Dead Space is now complete. The first one, which I went back to because everybody is currently talking about the sequel and I realized I should go back and finish it. It was pretty good, though it never really got to me the way it wanted to. I was able to call pretty much every plot point along the way and any time a dude popped out of a vent, I was usually already aiming at it. I came close to dying quite a few times near the end, but was alway able to pop open my inventory and chug a health pack in time. They obfuscate what happened at the end pretty well, to the point where I don't think I have any idea what happened. Unfortunately, I don't particularly care that much either. At any rate, it was fun to blow the limbs off things (strategically!) for a while and I had fun while it lasted. The boss was suitably impressive as well, but after beating it the realization that it never even fucking hit me was a downer.

Oh, and for the record, I played the game on Normal, as per my 2010 new year's resolution of not playing things on easy any more. It's worked out pretty well for me, as the past year in this thread can attest to. I think it's actually helping me beat more games, as I don't get tired of the mechanics because the game keeps challenging me now. For those that burn out on games about halfway through on a regular basis, food for thought.

Yeah, I, too, fell behind on Dead Space 1 and 2 so after I've finished with Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, I shall be continuing with the first Dead Space. I've already seen through the first half of the game and, as you said, although I could call pretty much every plot point (so far), it still is really a fun game...and I quite like the game mechanics. So I'm looking forward to Dead Space 2 even more, seeing that the mechanics are greatly improved and even more detailed.

Finished BTTFTGE2. That was quite short. But it looks like the next episode is getting really interesting.

Just finished Crackdown. There are no numbers to express how many times I had to fight Wang.

Also, Saints Row 2. Although I'm not really sure the story counts for anything in that game. Still, a good way to make money I can spend on ever more insane character customisation. Roll on Saints Row 3. And do toss out the ridiculous gangster posturing.

And maybe insert an accent more neutral than stereotypical Cockney, stereotypical Hispanic gangsta and stereotypical black gangsta.

I should probably stop there. A game with a lot of little niggles.