gdf

Recently completed video games

Just finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Fun game. I was afraid they'd completely ruin the stealth aspect of the game by focusing on combat and assassin recruits, but fortunately that wasn't the case. The crossbow was a very welcome addition and made moving undetected much more enjoyable. Arrow storm came very handy in some situations as well.

The ending, of course, was a complete piece of shit again. I wasn't amused by the way they made

my hard earned weapons and well trained assassin recruits almost completely useless

in the second to last chapter either.

This news saddens me. I'm about halfway through ACB and it's quickly becoming one of my favourite games on 2010. I kinda expected it to have a shit ending, so maybe I'll stop just before I finish...

That being said, I'd like a consensus: am I alone in thinking the Assassins' Creed series would benefit from a cover mechanic, ala Splinter Cell Conviction? Would make it a much better stealth experience IMO.

Well, the ending is about equally shitty as in Assassin's Creed 2. If you give a fuck about the "other story" you might not hate it. Personally, I would prefer if all the Animus nonsense didn't exist at all and you would actually control a renaissance assassin and not a guy controlling a renaissance assassin.

That being said, I'd like a consensus: am I alone in thinking the Assassins' Creed series would benefit from a cover mechanic, ala Splinter Cell Conviction? Would make it a much better stealth experience IMO.

I've only played the first game (as I'm not buying Ubisoft games since 2010) but yes, Assassin's Creed could have used some assassination techniques.

I completed Crysis Warhead. The best thing was when

after murdering half the Korean army, the character you play has to let another soldier fall to blow some shit up. Then after, when attempts at CPR fail... HE CRIES.

No. I think about half the games that actually have a cover mechanic actually need them. AC is about fluidity and movement, not being static. If anything the jumping direction detection needs to be improved instead so you can move instead of staying put.

I beat Luigi's Mansion tonight. It was really cute, albeit short.

Except for that last boss battle!

Remember how frustrated Sombre and Rodi got because of the boss battle in Zelda: Spirit Tracks? I lucked out and beat that boss my first time through, but I felt the same frustration with the boss battle in Luigi's Mansion.

The boss takes away way too many hearts with each hit, and there's no way to regenerate them. With unbreakable combo hits, Luigi could be easily dead in a minute and a half.

It's also obnoxiously long to restart the boss battle each time you die. It took me three to five minutes each time just to work my way through the mansion and cut scenes to the start of the battle. And I timed it, my successful attempt to beat the boss took only 2:44—the boss battle was shorter than it ever took me to reach him in the first place!

None of you need to care about my annoyance with a ten year old game, though. Instead, enjoy this video I took of Toad performing lewd acts on Luigi. Because I am immature.

4vdINYWtd6w

I beat that game sometime about 7 years ago, and still remember how fucking irritating that boss was. I feel your pain, sir. That said, you're now making me want to go back and replay that game. I might have to do that sometime in the coming months.

I just beat Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet... Which I expected to be "LEGO Marvel Heroes"... It was, but it wasn't as good!

You only get to play as 13 heroes, you never unlock any new ones, but you can unlock new costumes. Instead of collecting studs, you collect pieces of the Infinity Stones... which give you nothing, I guess I've been spoiled by the Red Brick, but I expected some reward for collecting them...

It doesn't have all the extra stuff you get in the Lego games... the base has nothing to do in it and the "challenge mode" is just the mini games...

It's not a bad game, you'll like it if you like the LEGO games, but at the same time you'll be disappointed because it's lack of content.

Well, the ending is about equally shitty as in Assassin's Creed 2. If you give a fuck about the "other story" you might not hate it. Personally, I would prefer if all the Animus nonsense didn't exist at all and you would actually control a renaissance assassin and not a guy controlling a renaissance assassin.

Just finished ACB.

What the fuuuuuuck Ubisoft I hate you you bastards.

My flatmate gave me Dead to Rights: Retribution for xmas.

Oh well, I played it anyway.

I guess it does a fairly good job of mixing up shooting and brawling. And you play some bits as a murderous sneaky dog. which is fun the first time but then exactly the same every other time.

The main character though is so incredibly buff and macho that I actually found it offensive. He's built like a champion weightlifter. I mean WTF he clearly doesn't have time for policework due to all the hours in the gym mainlining steroids. All his posturing and gritty-voicedness was so game-typical that I felt personally insulted by it.

The plot is mercifully sci-fi free, attempting to do an actual action/crime movie, Lethal Weapon style. Unfortunately the writing is unintentionally hilarious. It's like they played Max payne but didn't understand that there was wit, pastiche and irony involved. The protagonist will rail at the gung-ho SWAT team for shooting first and not making arrests... despite the fact that you spend the entire game murdering thousands of criminal suspects, hopefully before they get a chance to let off a shot.

Then there's a woman who seemed to think it was my fault that there was a bomb on the train.

"What the Hell Jack?!" she clichéd at me

"somebody could have been hurt"

Ok lady:

1) I was trying to disarm the fucking thing, it would have been there even if I hadn't. Would you have preferred me to stay away?

2) People were hurt. Several dozen yakuza members in fact. I shot them in their faces. Some of them I broke their necks instead. For questioning.

3) OH! you think maybe someone could have been hurt do you? By a bomb? I guess whoever set the bomb might have thought the same thing because IT'S A FUCKING BOMB THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE FOR.

Such a dumb game.

Just finished Enslaved. This is a serious must play, the game is simply awesome. It's a bit short though. And there are a few parts in the game that really suck. But for the rest it's absolutely great. Great environments with quite some variation, the fighting works quite well and isn't over complicated with ridiculous key combos. The fighting isn't as good as in Arkham Asylum. Movement is ok, not as good/smooth as in Uncharted, but it's not a PITA. It has nice boss battles, and an awesome end fight. And like most games, completing the game will reward you with a very nice ending.

There were 3 things that I hated, and they were basically short dashes through the game with instant death situations. So, I had to redo those parts quite a few times. In order:

1. cover behind the tank on the bridge.

2. chasing the dog through the junkjard.

3. Chasing the rhino.

Just finished Enslaved. This is a serious must play, the game is simply awesome. It's a bit short though. And there are a few parts in the game that really suck. But for the rest it's absolutely great. Great environments with quite some variation, the fighting works quite well and isn't over complicated with ridiculous key combos. The fighting isn't as good as in Arkham Asylum. Movement is ok, not as good/smooth as in Uncharted, but it's not a PITA. It has nice boss battles, and an awesome end fight. And like most games, completing the game will reward you with a very nice ending.

There were 3 things that I hated, and they were basically short dashes through the game with instant death situations. So, I had to redo those parts quite a few times. In order:

1. cover behind the tank on the bridge.

2. chasing the dog through the junkjard.

3. Chasing the rhino.

Agree with all of this. Only want to say that "It's a bit short though." isn't really a complaint for me... I like playing games that my short attention span simply can't find a point to stop before finishing.

Finished all the demos in the Wiiware shop channel that I dl'd during Christmas.

Not that those count as full games, but I just wanted to contribute something here... ;(

Hey! I just finished an old Amiga game that I liked back when it came out, but for some silly reason I left. It's been bugging me for years that I never got around to finishing it, but now I finally did!

The ending was insanely hard, with moments of insta-game-over, so I'm glad I had an emulator with savestates -- doing it on a real Amiga would have meant having to start over from scratch as a result of one tiny wrong move. Really dumb.

It was called D/Generation.

I even posted my

on YouTube, showing the "alternate" ending. Even though it's probably only of interest to 5 people on the planet. Boy, do I feel geeky right now.

Yay! :tup:

I like how the sound effect of the guy running into tables and stuff is what I think of a goldfish smacking into the side of its glass bowl sounding like.

Just beat Game Dev Story, in the kinda artificial way it ends. Easily one of the best games I've played on my iPod Touch; I played about 7-8 hours in about a day and a half. It's well worth anyone's purchase if you have any fascination whatsoever in the games industry.

Game Dev Story has an ending? I guess it's a time limit, right?

I just beat Cthulhu Saves The World.... it has a space kitty in it... that is all...:getmecoat

:tup:

Game Dev Story has an ending? I guess it's a time limit, right?

I just beat Cthulhu Saves The World.... it has a space kitty in it... that is all...:getmecoat

:tup:

Ending is really the wrong word, but the 20-year time cap was my place to stop. There came a point where I was just so efficient that I wasn't really fighting for good games or capitol and that practically coincided with year 21 or so.

I just beat Darksiders. I liked the Zelda-y parts a lot, but the combat kinda let me down. It was definitely going for a Devil May Cry (Stingers and Uppercut slashes) and God of War (Quick-Time monster kills) vibe, but the camera is so ridiculously close that any crowd control becomes an issue. Targeting one dude was a complete waste of time because enemies outside your view would charge up attacks outside your camera view. I know Ninja Gaiden also has controllable camera, but I kinda prefer a fixed view that shows the whole battlefield for this sort of game.

There are also some set piece style moments where you're riding on a griffon and the game becomes Panzer Dragoon or you're given a huge gun and the game becomes Gears of War sans cover. The griffon part was amazing. The gun parts are less so, because you're just shooting regular enemies who try to run up on you. The camera for this part gets even closer, so that if enemies get behind you, you won't find out for a while. For what it's worth you don't have to use the guns for those sections, but that's clearly what it's designed for.

Anyway, the actual dungeon puzzle stuff was really cool, with an interesting Portal-esque part that was interesting.

Thinking about the plot and the setting just makes the game worse. It's a shame because work definitely went into creating backstory. War is one of the four horsemen along with Conquest Pestilence Strife, Fury and Death. So, it's basically 3 wars and death. There's this governing system of firey rock heads that everyone hates who oversee Heaven and Hell, with no real mention of where god is during the whole thing. War lost his left arm and now has a magical metal replacement deal (it looks like a gauntlet and doesn't do anything special, you have to read the comic to get that backstory). I dunno, I feel like there's probably enough in actual revelations that you don't have to go make up your own thing. Mark Hamill and Phil LaMarr deliver some good voice work though.

Hey! I just finished an old Amiga game that I liked back when it came out, but for some silly reason I left. It's been bugging me for years that I never got around to finishing it, but now I finally did!

Wow, this is something very obscure from my childhood gaming that I forgot about until I seen it here. Definitely want to give this a go, the MS-DOS version of course.

To bring it to a more modern game, I just beat God Of War 3 a few minutes ago. I'm not sure what to think, really. The boss fights are amazing, the combat is brilliantly designed, and some of the setpieces are unlike anything I've ever seen before. On the other hand, some of the shit the game made me do to get to the end made me physically ill, and this is after having beaten the other 4 games in the series without any problems whatsoever. In particular

using a woman who had been held prisoner for god knows how long to block a gear and prevent it from slamming a door, killer her in the process while she begs you to stop

was probably the worst thing I've ever done in a game. I wanted to fucking vomit. Even worse was that when this happened, a trophy notification popped up called "I didn't do it, but I wish I had." What the fucking shit, Sony? That was goddamned awful. The worst part of that is that almost immediately afterward, you get thrown into a fight where you're

climbing around the titan Cronos while fighting loads of monsters and killing Cronos in the process

which is what I would call the one completely unmissable part of the game for those interested. It was incredible, so fun, and so visually stunning. It's just so unfortunate that you have to go through the other thing I described to get there.

That pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about the game. There are some things that I can't recommend enough, and some things that I can't condemn enough and made me feel disgusting for playing. On the one hand, it reaches highs that no other God of War game has. On the other, it slums much lower than any of them has either. As a result, it's probably my lowest ranked of the series. My ranking of the series, for those interested:

Ghost of Sparta (PSP)

God of War II

Chains of Olympus (PSP)

God of War

God of War III

I honestly don't know if I can recommend this game in good conscience. If I'd known some of the shit that I'd be doing going into it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I enjoyed the other games in the series so damn much though, and it had gotten such great reviews, I gave it a shot. And it was good. It played extremely well. It looked great. It had some moments where my jaw was pretty much just on the floor. It was unfortunately also totally disgusting. Fuck am I conflicted about this one.

That sounds pretty horrible. I have become a lot more sensitive to that kind of shit in video games, movies and tv-series as I have grown older. For instance, there was a time it felt perfectly normal that the antagonist would take revenge on protagonist's girlfriend (or someone else he holds dearest) instead of him directly. Now it makes sick which isn't helped by the fact that every fucking director thinks that it's the best plot twist there is.

I haven't played a God of War game though, so I have nothing more to contribute.