gdf

Recently completed video games

Ah, well then I'm exactly the same as you. I guess I'm still platinum-less. Do they not give out platinums for downloadable games? I thought it was just automatic when you get every other trophy that they'll give you a platinum? Weird...

And Mike, I've had my savegame on the DS remake of Chrono Trigger right before the fight with Lavos for about a year and a half now. I fought him twice and died horribly as soon as he changed to his final form, so I just assumed I was way underleveled and gave up. Haven't touched it since. This is my usual pattern with a JRPG. Almost did it with Dragon Quest IV too, but instead I walked around for about two hours of game-time leveling my party from 33 to 40 in preparation for the fight. Riveting stuff. The roll I've gotten on this year of actually finishing things (44 games since January! 39 if you don't count each of the Fallout 3 expansions as a thing! 30 if you count Telltale games by season rather than episode! Even at the lowest possible count, that's still pretty incredible!) pushed me to go beyond what I'd normally do to kick Psaro's ass.

Just finished Costume Quest as well. I'll gather my thoughts in a review at TGV pretty soon, but I pretty much agree with miffy and muerte, kinda simple, but very very charming and sweet.

Curious credit notes:

-I noticed that Scott Campell only appeared under "addition concept art", which makes me suspect he's on one of the other teams, which makes me excited to possibly see a game come out of his mind.

-Will Wright got a special thanks. Oo

Ah, well then I'm exactly the same as you. I guess I'm still platinum-less. Do they not give out platinums for downloadable games? I thought it was just automatic when you get every other trophy that they'll give you a platinum? Weird...

Platinum usually is getting all trophies, but I haven't seen any for downloadable games.

I only got one Platinum trophy for the latest Ratchet game, because it's the only game I love enough to try...

I've been on fire this week, I finally beat Sonic 4, Fatale, which is more art than game, but it was interesting and kinda creepy?

I also beat Al Emmo, which is like a Sierra game except it doesn't kill you as much...

And Super Meat Boy... somehow? :erm:

I also finished Costume Quest recently! As I said in the main thread about it, I thought it was great.

First game I've completely finished in quite some time. Satisfying!

Recently finished Mass effect on PC, a few weeks after finishing part 2.

And now I can't go back and play ME2 again, because it has retroactively become worse due to design changes.

Usually only disc games give a platinum for all trophies. Downloadable games give one gold trophy at the most or split the "points" up for the trophy among silver trophies. They all equal the same either way, not that I fully understand what a trophy is worth.

Just finished Costume Quest as well. I'll gather my thoughts in a review at TGV pretty soon, but I pretty much agree with miffy and muerte, kinda simple, but very very charming and sweet.

Curious credit notes:

-I noticed that Scott Campell only appeared under "addition concept art", which makes me suspect he's on one of the other teams, which makes me excited to possibly see a game come out of his mind.

-Will Wright got a special thanks. Oo

Didn't you see the guest boss Phaedrus?

I haven't actually finished it yet, but I've played through 2 episodes of the Wolfenstein 3D total conversion for ZDoom and GZdoom (Derivative platform with OpenGL support). It's so much fun to play this classic with mouse look and at a good resolution.

I also beat the first two episodes of Duke Nukum. The 2D one. Where he's got a pink shirt on. It was fun, but the level design got worse as it went along.

Guess I'm in a retro mood.

I recently bought a PS3 and played through both God of War 3 and Uncharted 2.

God of War 3 was a lot of fun, but Kratos was a dick. Even when he kind of turns a new leaf he's still a dick about it. Why is he nice now when he was killing everyone a second ago? This was the first game that ever made me cringe at what I did (killing poseidon, early games spoilers i guess

).

Uncharted 2 had its ups and downs. I did not expect to be wasting fools for more than half the time. I expected Indiana Jones tomb raiding, but instead got a kind of shitty shooter with occasional platforming. However, the platforming was good, so it sort of evens out. I really enjoyed the story and watching the cutscenes. It's been years since I've sat back on a couch to watch the story develop instead of hunching over in front of my monitor, selecting dialog options. Also the comments the final boss makes are kind of hilarious: "You think I am a monster. But you're no different from me, Drake. How many men have you killed? How many, just today?"

I recently bought a PS3 and played through both God of War 3 and Uncharted 2.

Dark Leonard, I never got a Playstation 3 because I feared I would have the same experience as you. It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound like it would captivate me.

And this is your first post! You should go into the "New people: Read this, say hi." stickied thread.

Then Chris Remo will tell you, "Welcome, dude!"

I finally beat Oblivion last night.

That game is awesome, but there is almost too much stuff to do. I had been working on it, on and off for the last 3 years. Like I'd play it for 10 hours on weekend, then not touch it for months. A few weeks ago, I decided I was just going to run through the Shivering Isles content, and go through the main quest, and it still took me 30 more hours.

The play clock is just a bit under 80, but this is also my 4th character; I had put ~30 hours into 3 other characters, but kept restarting.

Since the GOTY edition is $20 on Steam, I'm thinking of selling my 360 copy, and rebuying there if I want to play it again.

Just beat Spear of Destiny using the same GZdoom TC. It was fun and a much shorter experience than Wolf3d. It's two episodes with two final levels, while Wolf3D is 6 episodes. Really saw id in the last level where

get the spear of destiny and get transported to hell to fight an 'angel of death' which is basically a doom monster. There are ghostly spirits that you can shoot, that come back after a second.

Lots of cool challenges designed in that engine, with large areas filled with bad guys so you get swarmed, and lots of multiple entrance rooms so enemies will flank you. All in all it was a much more challenging and tighter experience than Wolf3D, which, although longer, never really reached the same level. Good stuff.

Just finished DeathSpank.

An absolute must play game. Excellent gameplay, great writing. It never became tedious as things kept changing enough to remain interesting. Looking forward to the sequel. (it was about 11 hours of game to reach 100% complete, well worth the price)

You played it on the PC, right? how did the controls work? The 4-weapon system seemed fairly specific to consoles.

It played quite well actually. It's left and right mouse button to switch weapon 1 and 2. With tab you can change to the 2nd weapon set, or you can hold ctrl. And that in combination with WASD for strafing (and mouse for looking/moving) it worked quite well. Blocking is done with space. It takes a little while to get use to this all, but after about 30 minutes it's all natural.

I played a demo of the sequal on my PS3, and I think the controls for the PC are better.

The only real issue I had is moving south, because you don't see much in that direction.

I finally finished Plants vs. Zombies last night. I bought it when it came out on the PC but stalled when I got to the roof. I bought it again when it came out for iPad and once again stalled when I got to the roof, but finished it up last night. A seriously great game with TONS of stuff to do after the Adventure Mode. It was better on the iPad, so if that's an option, or you're looking for iPad games, go that direction.

May as well do a dump:

Beat:

Bloodline Champions - A new multiplayer-centric top-down shooter/fighter by Stunlock Studios that is currently in beta (got invited). I went through all the singleplayer stuff and now am getting owned in the multiplayer.

Battlefield 2 - Didn't get into this when it was released, but finally managed to patch it up and play online for a bit. I actually went through each map on singleplayer with the terrible AI as my team. Why do I do this to myself?

KickMaster (NES) - Kicky kick kick. A cool RPG-Platformer hybrid. Very intuitive technique upgrades for a NES game. Insane boss battle... needed a bit of "assistance" (as in, a password I found online).

Prey (PC) - Ugh... the dialogue... at least the story got a bit interesting. Doom 3 with aliens and portals.

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Incredibly enjoyable all the way through. Good ol' Blizzard! Addicted to the custom game, "Marine Arena" and SOTIS and getting owned in 3vs3. Bronze.

Stormrise (XBOX360) - Every character is snarky for some reason... SNARKFEST. Bugs, glitches, freezes, errors... so frustrating. I did finish it though.

Just polished off Deathspank. Every achievement and every sidequest done in about 15 hours. I quite liked it. For a buck an hour (crass, I know, but it just kinda worked out like that) I certainly feel like I got my money's worth. A few good laughs came out, and the gameplay never got any more monotonous than, say, playing a barbarian class in a Diablo-alike. Very much recommended for anyone on the fence. If you know you have no interest in this game, ignore it, but if you've been considering it at all, go for it. If Thongs of Virtue hits Steam, I'll pick it up right away.

Huh, so it seems they did release the Deathspank patch, only without an accompanying update notice anywhere on steam or their website. So yay, I can start the game! :tup: But boo, now I am having sound issues. :tdown:;( It will run fine, the video will play at 60fps (according to fraps), doesn't seem it's lacking ram or anything, but the music and the audio in cut scenes will stutter and skip. I am defragging now, hope it helps some. Poops all around.

That sucks Kingz, the audio is sort of the most important part in the game.

Also Miffy, I'm betting if you really liked the first one, the second one will take your socks off aggressively.

I have beat no games in the last month, except I did get over 300 points in each game mode in Game and Watch Collection 2 on DS, making me feel that it was very beaten. It took at least 20 times to finally understand the fireworks were making a Mario hat at 200 and 500 points in the air. I kept thinking it was a man with a big nose and angry eyes until something just clicked.