gdf

Recently completed video games

Oh God stop picking faults in my list. I will add you to my kill list.

AND CROSS IT OUT

It was a great list, I swear. That was quite a lot of games you finished in a matter of months. Really.

I don't want to die.

You seem to have been really excited to beat Bioshock 2.

I think it's just that big because he happened to pick up a marker that day.

That's a sweet green marker. I wish I had a marker like that.

So what's written on the sheet to the right there?

That's probably just his list of 80s romantic movies he really wishes he was in. I hope Flashdance is written in the same green marker that Bioshock 2 is.

To the right is "Anime" I finished in 2010. There's also a "Films" and "Others" which consistutes television and books!

thankx for the great information

keep it up

Ahahaha! :clap::clap:

Spam has never been more perfectly timed.

I finally beat Planescape: Torment last night. I played a bunch of it in college, but never finished it. I think I got as far as

Ravel's Maze

. About a year ago, I borrowed it from a friend, but didn't get very far before putting it aside. Then I pulled it out again a couple months ago, and started playing the hell out of it.

Everything up to the point I stopped in college is amazing, but I don't think they knew how to make an interesting ending, because the last several hours are primarily combat, which seems to miss the point of the game, and isn't very good anyway. On top of that, I though I did pretty much everything, but I must have missed a huge amount of content, because I was seriously underleveled for the last several areas, even after I turned the difficulty all the way down. Getting mobbed by

8 True Shadows, at once, without your party

sucks. I got so frustrated, I ended up using a save game editor to give myself max stats, which made the forced combat merely annoying. I wish I'd done that earlier. I was playing the game for the excellent story, and world-building, not the mediocre combat.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't played, I strongly suggest you do, but unless you actually like the combat, don't be afraid hack your stats to make it easier, at least from

Ravel's Maze

onward.

I always felt like Torment should have ended after Ravel's Maze. That was the story arc, and the stuff after that is not much fun.

To the right is "Anime" I finished in 2010. There's also a "Films" and "Others" which consistutes television and books!

It's kind of troubling to me that books is in some miscellaneous section when anime gets its own. Also that books are sort of being equated with television.

Well, I finally beat Darksiders. Really well executed game, especially for a studio's first game. Each of the weapons felt well implemented despite limited applications, unlike annoying Zelda tropes like the spinning gear top or whatever. And while the world and plot weren't anything mindblowing, each boss and corresponding segment of the world felt distinct and well defined. Great game overall - had I played it before the end of last year, I think it would have made my top 10 of 2009.

Now I'm working on Call of Duty 2, which is really feeling completely old compared to more recent first person shooters. Not to mention the fact that playing COD games on Veteran is just asking for forceful penetration.

It's kind of troubling to me that books is in some miscellaneous section when anime gets its own. Also that books are sort of being equated with television.

Not indicative of an objective sense of quality, I just watch a lot more anime for my university degree than I do get a chance to do books and TV. Sorry!

Sorry!

No need to apologize, I was just messing with you. I didn't realize the anime was for your studies, what are you studying...it must be pretty cool.

No need to apologize, I was just messing with you. I didn't realize the anime was for your studies, what are you studying...it must be pretty cool.

I do "Film and media studies" so I basically use it as a platform to talk about anime and games as a valid medium. Which is why all my work is just about games/anime. I did my final piece for 2nd year on the validity of aesthetics in games as an art form, kind of. It was weird, but good.

I do "Film and media studies" so I basically use it as a platform to talk about anime and games as a valid medium. Which is why all my work is just about games/anime. I did my final piece for 2nd year on the validity of aesthetics in games as an art form, kind of. It was weird, but good.

and I....envy you.

I take Film Studies myself, and I also catch myself constantly thinking about how the history, aesthetics and theories apply or don't apply to video games.

I'm still in the first year, so we don't have a lot of open assignments, usually just a film analysis, so I haven't been able to sneak in anything like that yet. We had a lecture on Asian film yesterday though, and the teacher had a few slides dedicated to anime, and showed us a clip from Paprika. :3

Splinter Cell Conviction :tup: though as a traditional Splinter Cell :tmeh:

Now I'm working on Call of Duty 2, which is really feeling completely old compared to more recent first person shooters. Not to mention the fact that playing COD games on Veteran is just asking for forceful penetration.

I played through that game a little while ago. Killing hundreds of people as an American or British soldier caused a bit of an existential crisis. I feel like the campaigns have this heavy amount of moral superiority that is incredibly off-putting. I remember that the German forces surrender only once, and they're displayed as sniveling, cowardly specimens. The Western Powers were certainly fighting for altruistic reasons, but not to the insane degree that the COD games portray.

A cool detail I enjoyed was that in the Stalingrad missions some of the soldiers are female. They don't try to justify their existence, they just include them without explanation. It was a neat display of the historical contribution of women in the Great Patriotic War without being overwrought. The Russian campaign tonally and historically fits with the kind of intense ideological conflict that COD games have as a central motif. They sort of peel back the veneer of nationalism and show the atrocities that both sides commit against each other.

Sorry if this sounds douchey!

I played through that game a little while ago. Killing hundreds of people as an American or British soldier caused a bit of an existential crisis. I feel like the campaigns have this heavy amount of moral superiority that is incredibly off-putting. I remember that the German forces surrender only once, and they're displayed as sniveling, cowardly specimens. The Western Powers were certainly fighting for altruistic reasons, but not to the insane degree that the COD games portray.

Yeah, the more I play through this, the more I agree. It definitely adds a little context to the ridiculous, testosterone-laden Modern Warfare games... moral superiority superiority seems to be their forte.

A cool detail I enjoyed was that in the Stalingrad missions some of the soldiers are female. They don't try to justify their existence, they just include them without explanation. It was a neat display of the historical contribution of women in the Great Patriotic War without being overwrought. The Russian campaign tonally and historically fits with the kind of intense ideological conflict that COD games have as a central motif. They sort of peel back the veneer of nationalism and show the atrocities that both sides commit against each other.

I didn't even notice that!

Sorry if this sounds douchey!

Nope. :tup:

I didn't even notice that!

Yeah! I think the only reason I realized it was there was because I'd been listening to the Hardcore History Podcast about the German/Russian war front. Some of the soldiers looked unusually pretty and then there was a little Aha! moment.

Yeah! I think the only reason I realized it was there was because I'd been listening to the Hardcore History Podcast about the German/Russian war front. Some of the soldiers looked unusually pretty and then there was a little Aha! moment.

Off topic:

That set of podcasts about the Ostfront were pretty incredible. Dan Carlin is nifty. I also love Common Sense.

On topic:

I finally finished the first BioShock and it only took me two years. Better late than never, I say.

I haven't finished it, but i'm putting it here as a matter of record.

I am going to finish Wizardry 8 this time.