gdf

Recently completed video games

After owning the game for almost 3 years I completed Bioshock last night. Great game, truly awesome visually, but that last 30 minutes was pretty terrible.

I also got the 'true' ending to the indie game Leave Home.

I just finished Tales of Game's Presents Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa and I have to say I have never gotten so pumped up after hearing the theme to Space Jam. This game is just amazing. It's about a post-cyberpocalyptic Neo New York where basketball has been outlawed and "the Space Jam" is an actual event that happened in history. Yes, you read that right. This game had me in stitches more times than I can count. If you don't slam with the best, you jam with the rest.

Also I finally finished Spelunky. Took me way too many hours to do it, but I loved every second of it.

AND I finished a demo of this indie game Cult Classic. It maybe a bit too self-referential for it's own good, but it's still a good mix of what feels like Earthbound, GTAIV and corny racist stand up comedy.

If that's the case, then he needs to update to the latest firmware. Maybe he'll stop crashing and disconnecting the entire time, then. Oh snap!

:getmecoat

I finished up my first run through of Cryostasis on Wednesday night.

Playing it back to back with Dead Space, really made me appreciate it and what it was trying to do a lot more than I think it would have otherwise.

Yes the engine was unoptimized a bit, it would chug at times for no apparent reason (with PhysX off no less.) and this seems to be a common thread among all European games I've come across lately. My system is no slouch, so this really shouldn't have been an issue. Not really a detraction of this game in particular, but the state of a lot of games lately. The game was shorter than I would have liked, but the story and small cast of characters had me engaged throughout its short run-time. I really wanted to know how the two stories tied together/what happened to ship and its crew of mutated freaks. Linear as all get up, but I was happy to be lead along for this particular tale. That no one person was the 'bad guy' more than any other (at least in the flashbacks) and that I had some control over this was also a nice change of pace. I wasn't necessarily any more scared in this than I was than in, say, Dead Space, but the feeling of depression, dread and tension that runs throughout was also more engaging than Dead Space's atmosphere. I did find the characters rather menacing as well, especially the spiders. I hate games that use insects. I don't know why but they get to me much more than the average zombie/demon/terrorist ever does. Whoever came up with those deserves a pat on the back for a job well done.

The body temperature mechanic could go either way. I never felt like I was in any real danger of dying due to the cold. If it had thrown me outside more often, I might have felt truly worried. It made for an interesting tweak on health packs (no regenerating health thankfully) and felt natural given that I was on a ship stuck in the Arctic, that heat would inevitably play a role in my survival so it's really give or take.

I would love to see more games take a philosophical approach to their narratives, and hope whatever Action Forms does next is this good.

Just finished the Megadrive port of Prince of Persia on a Genesis. I had finished the Genesis one before, but for some reason Europeans got music and four extra levels with their little black cartridge.

So I had to load up that Game Genie. I have played so many Prince of Persia ports at this point, I'm just getting confused. The Megadrive one must be the second best next to the super crazy SNES deluxe port.

Also I lied earlier, I have still been playing Twin Snakes to completion, since the game really flares up my OCD. I've even taken all of the developer photos with a guide. But today I fucked up replaying Normal difficulty to get the last 3 dog tags I had missed the first go around and completely missed Psycho Mantis' again and then SAVED. Reload the game in the same room, and Psycho Mantis is gone now! Arrrgggghh! I don't even know why I'm so inclined to get these since you don't actually get anything. I guess I get a hard one when status reports say 100%.

I played The Dig yesterday in one sitting. Several LA adventure games I have never touched and that was one of them. I admit I used help when I'd get stuck because I kind of just wanted to get through it, but it was still a great time.

I just finished Tales of Game's Presents Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa and I have to say I have never gotten so pumped up after hearing the theme to Space Jam. This game is just amazing. It's about a post-cyberpocalyptic Neo New York where basketball has been outlawed and "the Space Jam" is an actual event that happened in history. Yes, you read that right. This game had me in stitches more times than I can count. If you don't slam with the best, you jam with the rest.

What really is amazing besides the humor in barkley shut up and jam gaiden is that the gameplay actually is good and the game has actual length to it. Normally jokes don't get carried that far, but here they do and they never get old. It really helped that the game never really winks at the player, it completely plays it straight. Fuck now I want to play it through again.

I played The Dig yesterday in one sitting. Several LA adventure games I have never touched and that was one of them. I admit I used help when I'd get stuck because I kind of just wanted to get through it, but it was still a great time.

Actually I would recommend cheating on that game as soon as possible, just because the atmosphere tends to tread a fine line between desolation and boredom.

So if you aren't bored, the game is really good. I admit I checked walkthroughs a few times just because I was really engaged and wanted to know what was next or alternatively just view another one of the beautiful backgrounds.

I just finished Skies of Arcadia Legends.... It's strange, the game is SOOOO bloody cliché and predictable, yet I loved it! :blink:

I guess I was just happy to play a JRPG where I don't want to punch the main characters in the face? :erm:

Also, they were "sky pirates" which was pretty awesome, although the airboat battles take WAAAY too long!

Imma gonna play Arkham Asylum now! <3

I have Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast, I once played something like 20 hours of it and then quit for unknown reasons. I would like to complete it because it was quite good and addictive even if it was a bit ugly on the graphical side.

I should fire it up someday, my Dreamcast has been waiting for the return to action day. During the weekend I actually was cleaning and moving stuff in the big closet and I found all my Megadrive, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast games. Need to put those to use soon.

I finished my first game of the new Colonization. I mean the one that came out at least a year ago. Got murdered by the Spaniards on the second easiest difficulty level...

Man, I rarely ever finish games. I did beat Heavy Rain though. Really enjoyed that a lot. Maybe once I get my replacement parts, I'll try finishing Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2.

Finished Portal again... So I could do the Radio thing and also to watch the new ending.

Finished Portal again...

Interesting little glitch with Portal is that you right after the

song

you hit escape and wait till it finishes and then just watch the video. It completly changes the atmosfere and makes you actually think about the game, or just start singing it yourself.

How significant is the change to the ending? If I'm way behind on all the other ARG stuff, is it still worth seeing?

How significant is the change to the ending? If I'm way behind on all the other ARG stuff, is it still worth seeing?

The ending isn't really connected to the ARG (at least not in any significant way) for now. There are surely at least one or two YouTube videos of it.

As for the significance of the change, I'd say there's not much. It's mostly a sort of retcon that may make the story transition to the sequel more smoothly.

I just made it to the third tileset on Spelunky!

I love how that is something that one would say. Seriously.

hm... must return to spelunky some time, last version I tried didn't work well on my system