gdf

Recently completed video games

I beat Mass Effect on hardcore over the weekend and immediately started an insane run. See, I didn't get everything exactly the way I wanted because I turned in the cheating gambler instead of helping him with his project. I know most of this won't carry over, but in my mind, this is the canon I want my Shepard to have. So I guess I have to listen to Ashely's sob story about her dad just one more time...sigh.

did you also complete all challenges? I tried a few challenges, I didn't like them.

Some of the challenges are fun but I prefer the variety and pacing you find in the main story versus playing one section over and over to improve your rating. It's also strange to play as the Joker in the stealth challenges. The character is so limited that it's hard to play without wanting to immediately go back to being Batman.

My list is pretty sad.

Sam & Max - Season One

Tales of Monkey Island - Eps 1 & 2

House of the Dead: Overkill

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - Episode 3

I'm not sure if I finished Fallout 3 this year or last.

Man, Overkill is awesome. A friend of mine came down to visit from Edmonton a few weeks ago. We spent about 3 hours on the couch playing through the entire game on co-op, just because it happened to be sitting on the shelf. Such a great game for situations like that. Grab a case of beer, two gun shells for the wiimotes, and rock the whole game in a sitting. No list with Overkill on it is sad by any measure.

I started keeping a list of the games I completed last year, and found it really useful to look back on what I'd played over the course of 2008.

It also helped motivate me to go back and finish a number of those games that I'd started and enjoyed, but got distracted and forgot about, or those games I picked up but never started. This year, I've already surpassed my number of games finished in 2008.

My list is in my profile here.

The last game I finished was Pure (360) on Sunday. I played and finished it when it came out, but recently some friends picked it up in the bargain bins for online play, and I joined them. This lead to me going back to the world tour mode to get a couple of pesky first place finishes that had eluded me. Once I'd done that, I deleted my save and started the whole thing from scratch again.

I finished Research and Development the other day. It was very good, but I was a little disappointed that it left the first person a few times towards the end. Also, if anyone else has trouble with the battery puzzle, try taking a step back from the cage. That's not a spoiler; it's just a way to avoid the physics messing things up repeatedly for you. Perhaps it was just an idiosyncratic instinct of mine to go right up to the damn thing.

Anyway, I recommend it.

Finally finished Batman: Arkham Asylum. Well, just the story and all riddles (took me a look time to find the 3 missing teeth in the mansion). The final battle was quite a bitch, suddenly the combos became very important. Anyway, awesome game.

I played Half Life 2 and Episode 1, will tackle Episode 2 this weekend.

HL2 was probably the best game I've ever played, thats over 24 years of gaming! The ridiculous thing is, I bought it on Steam the night it came out. It downloaded about 2am and I started playing. I got to Ravenholm and I was totally scared by it, stopped playing and hadn't gone back to it. Also I had memories of the first section being a bit tedious. As I replayed it it didn't feel like that at all, I loved it, then loved Ravenholm more... that carried through the entire game. A 5 year old game I would best describe as "refreshing" ha!

I finished COD4:MW a couple of weeks ago, singleplayer. It was really short, only a bit longer than Episode 1. I just got so bored in the single player campaign, I was kind of glad it was over quickly. The respawning enemies just broke any immersion for me, as you quickly realised it was just shootout, then run forward until you are in the spot that triggers the next shootout or big choreographed event, while the dudes just keep coming. I did really enjoy the sniper mission, that was fun and the ride it took you on was so cool. I thought the firefights just weren't nearly as fun and dynamic as say, Halo 3.

The narrative was throwaway, there just to string together big over the top event after another. I killed a lot of dudes and saved the world. It left me depressed that this is the biggest franchise out there at the moment, it felt soulless and not fun. Of course I make no mention of the multiplayer, which I think is the value you are getting out of your $60.

Then I played Half Life 2 and it made me happy again.

Finished Batman AA also. I enjoyed it, although I was tired of the 2 gameplay mechanics by the end, a little repetitive. It was such an impressive game for most of the time I was playing it but a few weeks later... it hasn't left that much of an impression funnily enough.

Games I am playing around with now that are excellent - Trine (wizard), Left 4 Dead (I tried this out after finding Nick and Jake's enthusiasm for the game so interesting.) & Infamous.

I played through Windosill yesterday. It's a Flash game that simply has you "solving" puzzle rooms one after another. The game is essentially entirely whimsical, there are few if any repeating mechanics. It's just about experiencing the animation and surprising interactions.

Anyway I'd never heard of it before. I was browsing around Steam and it was $3 so I picked it up. It was kind of nice. Not amazing by any means, but different and enjoyable enough and almost no money.

BIG BIRD HAS NEVER STARVED AFRICANS! It's not even his favorite country.

Big_Bird_in_China.jpg

You guys have no idea how much I used to love this movie.

My recently completed video game is that Game and Watch Collection thing on DS, however you go about completing that...

Just beat ODST a bit ago. Started out playing on Heroic, but about halfway through my friend wanted to play some co-op so I played it all the way through with him on Legendary. Interesting that Legendary co-op is easier than Heroic single player.

Great game though, probably the best Halo campaign. Haven't given firefight a go yet but I imagine I'll enjoy that a lot.

BIG BIRD HAS NEVER STARVED AFRICANS! It's not even his favorite country.

No, of course not. But Jake is an outspoken advocate of giving all money you would have spent on "frivolous game purchases" and giving it to African children. It's like Lent. Give the money you would have spent on bubblegum to Jesus.

Also: Just finished Mighty Jilloff one minute ago. That is a very tightly designed 8-bit platformer. It's interesting in that it's vertical scrolling instead of a sidescroller, too. It only took about 35 min. to beat...but that's after I'd already played the beginning a few times and had it down pat. And it's cool that it tells you your exact time when you finish, especially since it's short and easily replayable. Furthermore, one of the guys who worked on it, Andrew Toups, sometimes writes for actionbutton.net

Just finished Pixel Man, an extremely minimalist platformer on XBLA indie games. The last level was just the word "Yay!" spelled out in the same gray blocks that are used for platforms with an exit...and then a black screen says..."you are win" I don't know what I expected, but it was really disappointing.

It's a pretty decent game, though...check out the demo. If you're really into platformers, like I am, you'll be interested just because it's the most stripped down interpretation of the genre I've ever seen.

Just finished uncharted in preparation for uncharted 2 coming out. Some moments are a bit of a slog with the shooting, but still very positive experience overall. Didn't think I'd be able to manage it before the sequel came out (I only picked it up a week and a half ago), but the checkpoints are pretty tightly packed so you don't end up having to redo a heck of a lot when you die.

I finished ODST properly (legendary). Also some of the stories in Battle Fantasia, it has awful translation.

I recently almost completed Symphony of the Night. I reached the part where you think the game is going to end but then it keeps going for a few hours while breaking you in half. I'm not sure when or if I'll ever go back to it but I was glad to finally give the game a good try (and after only a decade!).

You've done better than me, snappity. I played Symphony of the Night about a year ago and thought I beat it. I said, "Wow, that was quick.

Dracula's not even the boss.

" Then I discovered online that I got the "bad ending" and there was much, much more to the game.

I debated on whether or not I should try to beat the game "correctly", but I justified it by saying "Credits rolled. That means I beat it."

Instead, I am now trying to beat a different Castlevania game: Order of Ecclesia. I made it to Death a few months ago and got stuck, then popped the game in again recently and read some walkthroughs and am now at Dracula. I guess I should look up how to fight him.

Order of Ecclesia is probably a more balanced game than Symphony of the Night. Boss battles are brutal, though---if you don't equip the correct glyphs and items, you die far too quickly. Too quickly to experiment, even---it's better to "cheat" and read the correct line-up online.

to Symphony of the Night, that is one of my favorite games of all time. I got it on XBLA a while ago but never beat it, probably made it 75% through or so. I had already played it multiple times on psone though.

Just beat The Shivah. Short and irritatingly got stuck because I didn't know you could combine clues, but overall quite good for what it is.

Just beat The Shivah. Short and irritatingly got stuck because I didn't know you could combine clues, but overall quite good for what it is.
I've been curious about The Shivah. Can you tell us any more about what you thought of it?