gdf

Recently completed video games

Hmm, it's a good idea to keep a list for the year. AFAIR this has been my year so far...

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned

Rock Band 2

Professor Layton

Sam & Max: Season 2 (all episodes)

Tales of Monkey Island: Episodes 1 & 2

Ben There Dan That

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1

Damn... I can't believe that's all I've managed in 9 months :hmph:

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1 has an ending? I thought it just went on until you died! :eek:

My backlog is staggering, and lately I've been playing arcade games from compilations...

The list is too long so I'll just say it's mostly Midway and Taito games and a few Capcom games I never beat.... But to name a few...

Space Invader 95: Attack of the Lunar Loonies (It's Space Invaders Parodiusi-fied! You fight aliens in bikinis! You fly over a giant bowl of soup!)

Plump Pop (It's a cutesy Arkanoid-like game... where the final boss is two angels who have a "mortal make out of doom" move and... they start throwing poop at you? :eek:

God I love crazy arcade games! :clap:

I'm hoping to beat every arcade compilation I have left this weekend! :gaming:

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1 has an ending? I thought it just went on until you died! :eek:

Well the song eventually ends and the screen goes black... I assumed that was its "ending"?

Well the song eventually ends and the screen goes black... I assumed that was its "ending"?

How long does it go for?

I didn't time it, but I'm sure I played it for 10-15 minutes?

The screen a whole lot of crazy thing while I played, I even saw text in the background trying to give me a seizure... :hmph:

Um, about 10 - 15 minutes? I think?

You can tell it's reaching the end of the game as the chorus kicks back and it starts to crescendo... Plus all the baddies from the previous 10 minutes start attacking you simultaneously.

My best score is 790K, I think, which must be a marker for how long the game lasts?

Um, about 10 - 15 minutes? I think?

You can tell it's reaching the end of the game as the chorus kicks back and it starts to crescendo... Plus all the baddies from the previous 10 minutes start attacking you simultaneously.

My best score is 790K, I think, which must be a marker for how long the game lasts?

Aw, man! I think that's the part where I died! I was so close! :frusty:

Hrm... I know I'm gonna feel like I'm just showing off, but, games I've finished this year:

Uncharted

LBP

inFamous

Fat Princess (single-player story)

Flower

Shatter

Mirror's Edge

Resistance 1 & 2

Fallout 3 + all DLC

'Splosion Man

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Bioshock

Shadow Complex

50 Cent: BotS

Red Faction: Guerilla

Rocket Riot

Prototype

Ghostbusters

Monkey Island: SE

Saint's Row 2

Wanted

Wolf 3D

Bionic Commando

Eat Lead

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Riddick: Butcher Bay & Dark Athena

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad

Halo Wars

Watchmen ep 1

Portal: Still Alive

Puzzle Quest

The Maw

SBCG4AP season 1

And a few DS games that I can't remember because I've got a horrible memory.

Very console-centric due to not having a good gaming PC until recently. Now my TV's on the blink, so my "Currently playing" list is PC-heavy.

Let's see if I can remember all the ones I've actually completed...

Mirror's Edge

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Assassin's Creed

Halo 3

Prince of Persia

Resident Evil 5

BioShock

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1 & 2

Mass Effect

The Beatles: Rock Band (story mode, I guess this counts)

Not as many as I thought, though I've got several I'm working on and a bunch I'll most likely beat before the end of the year.

Looking over my list I'm amazed how few new games I've played this year (so far). I was able to clear out almost all of my backlog though. In chronological order:

Bioshock

RE5

Snatcher

Flower

Tales of Vesperia

Condemned 1

Gears of War 1

Gears of War 2

Gun

Crackdown

Too Human

Assassin's Creed

Sam & Max Season 1

Prince of Persia

Secret of Monkey Island

Oblivion

Shadow Complex

Batman: Arkham Asylum

If I made a list it would be short. Which is a bit depressing.

I just finished Batman: Arkham Asylum. I spent the entire game wondering what the big deal was all about. I was having fun, but my mind wasn't being blown away IGN.com or anything.

On reflection, now that it's over, I realise that the game involved a lot of elements from different game types and did all of them very well. The game was really exceptional in its execution. The story was pretty good too; I imagine if I was a Batman fan I would have gone nuts, though for all I know the game could be rubbish in the eyes of fans up on the fiction.

I play games so frequently that are fun at the time but fade from memory exceptionally quickly (both Gears of War games did this for me). It's a rare and cool experience to look back on a game and realise after the event just how much you enjoyed it.

If I made a list it would be short. Which is a bit depressing.

I just finished Batman: Arkham Asylum. I spent the entire game wondering what the big deal was all about. I was having fun, but my mind wasn't being blown away IGN.com or anything.

On reflection, now that it's over, I realise that the game involved a lot of elements from different game types and did all of them very well. The game was really exceptional in its execution. The story was pretty good too; I imagine if I was a Batman fan I would have gone nuts, though for all I know the game could be rubbish in the eyes of fans up on the fiction.

I play games so frequently that are fun at the time but fade from memory exceptionally quickly (both Gears of War games did this for me). It's a rare and cool experience to look back on a game and realise after the event just how much you enjoyed it.

I was having the same feeling last night as well. As I was going through Batman I kept thinking "well, this is pretty solid, but maybe not spectacular..." but after I beat the game, upon reflection the disparate parts really worked well together, and as an antagonist the Joker was amazing throughout. So many games just throw a random boss at the end, but the Joker was consistently there, prodding Batman along, making jokes, setting traps, a really worthy adversary.

Awesome, time warp extreme!

So, wasn't there a new Bookworm game coming out soon? Oh, Wikipedia says it's a sequel, apparently out in July this year.

I also agree with the Western roaming thing.

I was thinking along the same lines as you guys and when I got to the side missions my mind made some frazzled connections

Call of Juarez 2 = Call of Duty 2

So why not make

Cry of Juarez = Far Cry 2

I would play the shit out of that game.

I just finished Pikmin 2.

Well, OK, maybe not finished. But I paid off my debt, which shows a "bad" ending and starts you up again with a nice "whoa WTF?!" that I wasn't expecting at all.

Good game. I saved in an underground area about, oh, 2 years ago and all of this awesome stuff kept coming out and I had money then. Chris' recent mentions of the game kept floating around in the back of my head until I recently popped it in and gave it a spin.

Turns out all I needed to do was finish a few levels on that one cave and boom, sweet ass cinematic time.

Just wanted to say, thanks Chris for getting me back into this game, I'll be going OC 100% on it once I'm done doing the same to No More Heroes.

I just finished Pikmin 2.

Well, OK, maybe not finished. But I paid off my debt, which shows a "bad" ending and starts you up again with a nice "whoa WTF?!" that I wasn't expecting at all.

Good game. I saved in an underground area about, oh, 2 years ago and all of this awesome stuff kept coming out and I had money then. Chris' recent mentions of the game kept floating around in the back of my head until I recently popped it in and gave it a spin.

Turns out all I needed to do was finish a few levels on that one cave and boom, sweet ass cinematic time.

Just wanted to say, thanks Chris for getting me back into this game, I'll be going OC 100% on it once I'm done doing the same to No More Heroes.

Nice! Do you have someone interested in playing multiplayer with you? It is the best.

When are they releasing Pikmin 2 on Wii with the new controls in the US like they already did in Europe last April?

I will be very grumpy if that does not come here.

When are they releasing Pikmin 2 on Wii with the new controls in the US like they already did in Europe last April?

"Sometimes I have a dream where I'm playing a game that doesn't exist, and it's the BEST game." --Jake Rodkin--

It's coming in Jake Rodkin's dreams. I just hope his dreams are region 1 compatible.

Nice! Do you have someone interested in playing multiplayer with you? It is the best.

Actually, no, not really. I originally bought this game to play multiplayer with my wife when she was just my girlfriend. But she didn't like the vs mode. She didn't really understand the mechanics and didn't seem to want to learn.

I think that if the challenge mode, which is co-op, was unlocked from the beginning of the game she might have taken to it a bit more readily. Then after a little of that she might have become familiar enough to do some VS.

Now that I've unlocked challenge mode, I'd actually love to re-introduce her to the game but I fear I may have a tough time with that. She's recently said that she no longer enjoys games and doesn't understand why I'm still into them. :eek:

As bad as that sounds, I don't think she's a total lost cause, she's got all kinds of games on her iPod touch. I don't think she's once used it as a music player either. Maybe there's hope. Or maybe there's some kind of gaming-roofie that'll make chicks game with you? Alcohol? I dunno. If that doesn't work out, I've got a 14 month old daughter that I could always train up. It may take 5-10 years, but damnit, I WILL play Pikmin 2 Multiplayer!

Or maybe there's some kind of gaming-roofie that'll make chicks game with you?

I'm sure Activision is working on this in a lab somewhere.

Just wanted to post a quick update.

I just finished No More Heroes last night and I am very satisfied.

I got through the real ending and proceeded to get ready for bed and had one very interesting thought:

When you whale on the bosses, they swear out of frustration, just like I do when I muss up and take a lickin'. That made me chuckle. I wonder if that was something that was considered at all during development. It made me feel like the game was a human opponent in some obscure way, and it was getting pissed at me.

Writing this now I'm trying to imagine Super Mario Bros. with Goombas that yell, "My SPLEEN!" and Bowser cursing you out when you hit him with fireballs. Yeah, that could be fun. I don't know if I'd get the same feeling. I know I didn't get that feeling when I played Conker's BFD, but maybe thats just because I was younger then, and less apt to look through the poopy humor for anything deeper going on.

Anyway, NMH...

I'll be playing that one again. Maybe even buying a new copy.

Oh. And you guys f'in crack me up groucho and gdf!

Edited by Chuckpebble

I FINALLY beat Call of Duty 4. I played it mostly over the summer and got to the 2nd last level (

entering the missile disarm codes

) and just hit a brick wall, and hadn't played it for weeks. I was playing on hardened, and while it had been really hard before, it was by far the most difficult part of the game for me. I know this is lame, but I refused to lower the difficulty even after so many deaths on that part. I made it that far, I should have been able to do the whole thing. Anyways after a bunch of tries I finally got past it and was able to beat the last level shortly after. Probably one of the best FPS games I've played, and definitely one of the hardest.

The only thing I've beaten lately is Batman: Arkham Asylum. I think I must fall into the completist gamer category considering how much time I spent gliding around Arkham East looking for any left-over secrets. Then I realized that I had forgotten to pick up the Riddler map for that area. Brilliant.