Jake

Idle Thumbs 41: Space Boss: The Lord of Space

Ha ha! The moment when you talked about the Spider game for the iPhone a spider was creeping next to me! Silly spider, where talking about another spider!

Unless.... OH @#$%! I think I met the main character of the game!

And you actually talked about a game I played! I'm too busy dealing with my backlog to buy new games that will be in the budget bin by the time I'm done with the backlog...

Anyway... Spider was great! I loved how there was a bit of strategy and some bugs and to lured to a web, and others can only be leaped on...

Why did you say the mansion was abandoned? One of the final levels has you running up a man's leg, right?

By the way, did you ever find the secret room the other secrets hint to? I've yet to find it... :erm:

You might complain that most of the better iPhone games could have made for the DS easily and don't need to be on the iPhone... except... They cost only a few bucks! Lately games that are actual ports of DS games have appeared on the App Store, it's just the same game, only ridiculously cheaper, even more if you wait for a sale!

It's been sitting there for like, 2-3 years, almost completely untouched. We were waiting for it to get slapped down, but nobody seemed to bother.

Even one I wrote for a friend's birthday, which was blatantly full of nonsense and had no references, lasted 6 months or so before deletion. We were expecting it to be a matter of hours.

So wait, the Horse Bag can attach to the DS? This is breaking news, someone should let IGN know.

'I've never felt more like I was riding a donkey before' IGN.com

Even one I wrote for a friend's birthday, which was blatantly full of nonsense and had no references, lasted 6 months or so before deletion. We were expecting it to be a matter of hours.

At one point there was a Wikipedia page about me, but it looks like some guy deleted it a few years ago citing lack of notability.

No, the page is getting bad

HAI GUYZ LETS CHANGE THE CARACTERS NAEM TO MONGOOSE! ITS FUNNY COZ ITS RANDOM!!!!11!!! LOLZ :finger:

Way to kill the joke guys

I'm sorry, there's more thought to that specific change than just the juvenile humor of changing names.

Explanation:

One is to read the gameplay section then go here

Thus the joke (Yes, Juvenile) is born.

The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury

The Hound of Baskervilles, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco

Jesus, you don't have to be so angry about it.

Actually I wanted to say I bought the massive compilation of The Complete Sherlock Holmes a while back and read through the whole thing in a few weekends. Some of the stories were so-so, but most were really great. I especially appreciated the complexity of Holmes himself, such as his cocaine addiction and feelings of boredom with life in general. The only thing I didn't like was when Arthur Conan Doyle (he's no Sir to me!) killed Sherlock and walked away for a few years, wrote Baskervilles (as a prequel), then needed cash and retconned his death. (Spoilers!) Not only was the explanation lame, but so were the subsequent stories. I can imagine my great grandfather being all pissed off the same way we are about Lucas.

Edited by AkuMifune

Man, I read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories in one summer out of a "complete Arthur Conan Doyle" book I found in my dad's office when I was 11. Those were so good. Never read them as an adult though. I should really do that.

I have a gigantic book of all the collected holmes stories, reprinted from the original newsprint (with the illustrations). I read through the whole thing in a week when i was bored and sick. My memories of some of them are tinged with fevered hallucinations. It was weirdly appropriate, some of the logic used in those stories is bizarre.

Dwarf Noble political intrigue in the palace stuff made me think of Adam Cadre's excellent Varicella http://adamcadre.ac/if.html

"It's like juggling 24 things, eight of them being axes, and eight being live kittens."

The whole hidden picture thing was interesting. I read a short story in some science fiction magazine a long time ago, think it was called "Pictures of Jesus" where someone does a magic eye puzzle and it opens a whole hidden world of dragons living within the framework of our reality. They get scared and run into the street and are hit by a car. The end.

edit ew. just googled around, it was Science Fiction Age magazine and the story was by Piers Anthony. Ugh. What we didn't know when we were 12...

Edited by xir
self deprication

Yeap, the Foucault's pendulum is the device that was built by the physicist of the same name to measure the Earth's rotation speed. It is now displayed in the Pantheon, which sits on the top of the Quartier Latin in Paris.

Argh, my ignorance of a world beyond philosophy and history is exposed once again!

I assumed that the book wasn't a reference to Michel Foucault, but I didn't realise it was an actual thing.

I'm sorry, there's more thought to that specific change than just the juvenile humor of changing names.

My mistake, I mistook LOL :innocent:! for LOL RANDOM! and I apologise for my uninformed criticism.

The fact remains, though, that the joke is being killed. The article is changing from a page that worked as a coherent whole to an inconsistent patchwork of one-off gags.

I mean look at this "improvement"

One such character is presumably named the wandering mongoose from the fusing of the two main characters.[6] These are reported to include a series of smaller mini-games, like helping an elderly woman fill her water buckets from the oasis, or assisting animals with finding food or shelter.

The second sentence now makes no sense whatsoever because, instead of carefully weaving it into their article, the author jammed their joke in like a monkey throwing shit at a wall.

I think it's a real shame that someone made something creative which is now being hijacked and run into the ground by others.

My mistake, I mistook LOL :innocent:! for LOL RANDOM! and I apologise for my uninformed criticism.

The fact remains, though, that the joke is being killed. The article is changing from a page that worked as a coherent whole to an inconsistent patchwork of one-off gags.

I mean look at this "improvement"

The second sentence now makes no sense whatsoever because, instead of carefully weaving it into their article, the author jammed their joke in like a monkey throwing shit at a wall.

I think it's a real shame that someone made something creative which is now being hijacked and run into the ground by others.

Fair enough. Expect a roll-back on that Joke soon. Other (plural) one-off jokes I still think are funny will remain.

Edit: Apparently a reference to the horse-bag and making the paragraphs spell Wizard were also deemed un-funny. Will shut up now.

I thought the 'book corner' bit was pretty cool. Maybe it could be a regular feature if you guys are reading something new (might not finish the book in a week).

I thought the 'book corner' bit was pretty cool. Maybe it could be a regular feature if you guys are reading something new (might not finish the book in a week).

Totaly agree.

And I would recomend a book called ''Quo Vadis?'' by Henry Sienkiewicz(hope spelled correctly) and all three book in ''The Bartimaeus Trilogy'' by Jonathan Stroud.

First one is an amazing historical novel, the second are very funny but also very deep fantasy books.

O, and about Time donkey:http://blurst.com/time-donkey/

''This game is actualy real.'' IGN.com

I've taken a bit of shit from the other people who were involved. I probably should have conferred with them first, but it was just so old that I didn't think anyone would mind.

It would be nice if people could leave the Wikipedia page alone (www.wanderdonkey.com is a wonderful addition, though), but I knew this would happen going in. I just thought it would be worth sharing and that the repercussions of the page being mucked with or even deleted would be worth the entertainment that other people got out of it.

At one point there was a Wikipedia page about me, but it looks like some guy deleted it a few years ago citing lack of notability.

MobyGames seems to think you're notable.

The history page of poor Wander Donkey's Wikipedia page has turned into a minor tug of war between Thumbs listeners and Editors. It's almost Something Awful-ish.

EDIT: And now it's gone:

As per the AfD: In the 09/02/2009 IdleThumbs podcast (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/idle-thumbs/~5/fdEKG8ledcE/idlethumbs041.mp3, discussion starts at 40:20) a reader admitted to having created this page as a hoax. Apparently a typo made several gaming sites (such as IGN and Gamespy) index this as a real game, which then made several other gaming websites create stub pages for it -- the users then created this page and assigned TOSE as a developer as they thought it 'plausible'. Outside of several stub pages, there's no verifiable source for this game anywhere and all of the linked sources are nonsense. This game does not exist. At the IdleThumbs forum the following user admitted to having created the article: http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=118549&postcount=46. This is a confirmed hoax. If you feel this is not a candidate for speedy deletion, please use the hangon tag and add your justification here. Obonicus (talk) 02:50, 5 September 2009 (UTC)

Edited by Agent 5

this may be a stupid question, but what was the public domain books iphone app mentioned during the book segment? I hadn't thought to look for e-readers on the iphone until hearing that, was wondering if you guys had tried out a free e-reader app or went for the $10 http://eucalyptusapp.com/

hmm... now that the wikipedia page has been deleted I maybe should change wanderdonkey.com

hmm... now that the wikipedia page has been deleted I maybe should change wanderdonkey.com
It would be sort of nice to preserve the original document somewhere. Unfortunately, I don't think he had it saved anywhere, so we'd have to use google cache or something.