Jake

Idle Thumbs 41: Space Boss: The Lord of Space

Someone needs to cook up some box art and screenshots to "legitimize" the article.

Holy crap... what a lot of post by new people...

Also, great cast and update to the frontpage. And the 55-wizard-no, brilliant.

also other stuff, but I forgot, listened to the cast a long time ago

55-wizard-on and 55-wizard-no are the same phone number. :buyme:

No shit, Sherlock.

Another fine 'cast. Glad to see you will be blogging again too...

I also read Hound of the Baskervilles in the past year or so and was similarly struck by how it had been around for so long and influenced so much, yet didn't feel like it had been dated or surpassed. Such a cracking good book.

I followed that up with the complete Brigadier Gerard stories that Conan Doyle wrote too, and I recommend those. They follow the adventures of an extremely vain, slightly hapless, very likeable French hussar in the Napoleonic wars, and are super fun and charming. Gerard is a great character. He sort of narrates the tales as a wistful old-timer looking back on his glory days, exaggerating and digressing lots.

I'm definitely going to read one of the Umberto Eco books soon. Maybe Name of the Rose first, as that seems to have hooked you in to him, Chris...

I haven't listened to the cast yet, but since everyone's giving the tup to the WIZARD-NO voicemail, I'll admit that it was me. Mind you, if everyone had been saying what an unfunny asshole jerkoff that guy was, I wouldn't be saying a word.

Incidentally, I'd had a few adult beverages that evening. I'm glad it turned out funny, because in hindsight it's a miracle I was remotely coherent. :buyme::buyme::buyme:

Yes, I would recommend The Name of the Rose first. They're both pretty heavy reading, but Foucault's Pendulum takes a lot longer to really get into full swing (after a deceptively, but alluringly, tantalizing opening). It's much denser. The Name of the Rose is frequently punctuated by extreme bits of medieval historical arcana (I learned a bunch of stuff!), but the flow of the story never lets up for long.

Ok so I am that IP address on wikipedia. Actually my work is. That's another story. Here and now I commit to waging a war against page only if someone here commits to legitamizing the page as much as possible. I just find it so funny how wiki has this notability criteria but once a page is established they could care less if its accurate

I haven't listened to the cast yet, but since everyone's giving the tup to the WIZARD-NO voicemail, I'll admit that it was me. Mind you, if everyone had been saying what an unfunny asshole jerkoff that guy was, I wouldn't be saying a word.

Incidentally, I'd had a few adult beverages that evening. I'm glad it turned out funny, because in hindsight it's a miracle I was remotely coherent. :buyme::buyme::buyme:

It was "that boy got a lot of livestock in 'im" that finally cracked me up.

Good 'cast, good callers.

Man :tup: to you. That was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

I also liked the 'yeah..this isn't going anywhere, just delete this guys'-guy.

It was "that boy got a lot of livestock in 'im" that finally cracked me up.

Right.. that was the thing I forgot. It put a huge smile on my fact (I managed to prevent the lol's in real life, because I mostly listen these casts at work).

Also... the BioWare guy's story (and resulting aftermath)... brilliant...

But, couldn't he just go Paul Bunyan on that log cabin and flush it down the river?

ps, I do get the feeling that some people (most notably Jake) are losing marbles with every cast.

Yes, I would recommend The Name of the Rose first. They're both pretty heavy reading, but Foucault's Pendulum takes a lot longer to really get into full swing (after a deceptively, but alluringly, tantalizing opening). It's much denser. The Name of the Rose is frequently punctuated by extreme bits of medieval historical arcana (I learned a bunch of stuff!), but the flow of the story never lets up for long.

I had a kind of negative reaction to the title of the book. Anyone who has spent longer than a couple of weeks in graduate school studying a humanities topic has in one way been exposed to Foucault, and develops strong feelings about him one way or the other. I can't stand him.

Nothing to do with the novels though. I might check one out. I also want to read that interview where he answers the question on Dan Brown, that was pretty funny.

Foucault's Pendulum is one of my favorite books, as it completely dismantles a major trend of the past 25 years or so. Chris, you are

on the right track

I'd like to read that interview too. Dan Brown is totally a character from the book :)

enjoyable podcast, i laughed when nick mentioned his news post on shacknews regarding "AaaaaAAaaaAAA!!!" that was responded with mehhh shit game, i was one of those guys :X demo really wasn't fun!

I had a kind of negative reaction to the title of the book. Anyone who has spent longer than a couple of weeks in graduate school studying a humanities topic has in one way been exposed to Foucault, and develops strong feelings about him one way or the other. I can't stand him.

Nothing to do with the novels though. I might check one out. I also want to read that interview where he answers the question on Dan Brown, that was pretty funny.

I suspect you are thinking of Michel Foucault the philosopher, rather than Leon Foucault the physicist.

I'd like to take credit for creating that Wander Donkey page, but it was mostly a friend of mine. We were all laughing at the game pages that were created and I came up with the . Then a friend of mine decided to run with it, and came up with just about everything you see there. Someone even created some shitty boxart, but it eventually got removed (wait for it) ... because it did not have the proper copyright information on it.

Ok so I am that IP address on wikipedia. Actually my work is. That's another story. Here and now I commit to waging a war against page only if someone here commits to legitamizing the page as much as possible. I just find it so funny how wiki has this notability criteria but once a page is established they could care less if its accurate
It's been sitting there for like, 2-3 years, almost completely untouched. We were waiting for it to get slapped down, but nobody seemed to bother.

I'd like to take credit for creating that Wander Donkey page, but it was mostly a friend of mine. We were all laughing at the game pages that were created and I came up with the . Then a friend of mine decided to run with it, and came up with just about everything you see there. Someone even created some shitty boxart, but it eventually got removed (wait for it) ... because it did not have the proper copyright information on it.

It's been sitting there for like, 2-3 years, almost completely untouched. We were waiting for it to get slapped down, but nobody seemed to bother.

Well I've "improved it" in some ways....

I suspect you are thinking of Michel Foucault the philosopher, rather than Leon Foucault the physicist.

Yeap, the Foucault's pendulum is the device that was built by the physicist of the same name to measure the Earth's rotation speed. It is now displayed in the Pantheon, which sits on the top of the Quartier Latin in Paris.

I put the link in to create a page for the attachment but really don't have the somethings to put that page together. Not like it'd take a lot of work or convincing on the Wikipedian's part that the page was "real."

EDIT- So if someone has/had some sort of Press anything from TOSE (ie letterhead) that would be amazing. Same thing goes for Nintendo.

Edited by jneeriem