Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Left 4 Thumbs: User Generated Gore-tent

We've talked once or twice in the lobby about trying out a player-made map for our weekly game. Now I don't even know how we do this - do we have to download it individually or just find a server running it?

But first things first; can anyone suggest some good maps for us to play?

OK so...

Death Aboard is one of the highest rated campaigns on L4Dmaps currently, and caters for all game modes. Features a prison, docks, ships and an island lighthouse.

Coal'd Blood is down in a mine, co-op or Vs.

Back to School does what it says on the tin. co-op/vs.

So what tickles your fancy? Or perhaps you have been recommended something else?

This page tells you how to install and use custom maps. Pretty simple.

Each of us needs to install those maps first. Finding an appropriate server is not a problem.

I have played Death Aboard before;the map is very large and confusing at certain points. But I suppose that wouldn't be a problem if I am not playing with bots.

In my experience, which hasn't included actually playing any of these online, when you try to join a server playing a map you don't have, it brings up a box with a button that just sends you to a website where you can download it manually. Doing so beforehand would streamline the process, I'd say.

Death Aboard is one of the highest rated campaigns on L4Dmaps currently, and caters for all game modes. Features a prison, docks, ships and an island lighthouse.

I downloaded this ages ago, but had difficulty getting all the players into a game, so we eventually gave up (a little ominous for our efforts, perhaps). Last night I decided to do a quick run-through single-player on Normal. It was pretty good. As Scratch notes, it can be a little confusing in places, with a more open and less directed design, it's easy to find yourself passing through the same area numerous times. On the other hand, it's quite interesting to play a campaign with a distinct design style, and it has a lot of options for alternative paths and so on. Also, the finale is quite unusual, with the radio quite some distance from the extraction point. I held out near there, partly because there are supplies there, but I can also imagine a team gradually fighting their way to the exit being pretty exciting. I guess moving around in finales is often a bad idea, but it'd be worth a try.

Edited by JamesM

Sounds like a prototype of the gauntlets coming in L4D2.

Can we get the download links above to the non-forum players like Thayer and Danny Boy? If we help them get set up ahead of time then less delay on the night.

Sounds like a prototype of the gauntlets coming in L4D2.

Something like it, yeah, depending on how you choose to play it.

Can we get the download links above to the non-forum players like Thayer and Danny Boy? If we help them get set up ahead of time then less delay on the night.

Dan already has Death Aboard (he was one of the guys I was trying to play with). It may have been him who was having trouble getting into the game, though, so I think we'll try it out before Sunday at some point. And I'll point him to the other ones, too.